It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:11 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next
PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 1:12 pm 

domino harvey wrote:
rawlinson wrote:
domino harvey wrote:
Trevorrow's Episode IX script getting rewrites from Jack Thorne, who has nothing to be optimistic about in his CV

Have you seen his t.v. work? Skins tends to split opinions, but his work seems to be mostly on the stronger early episodes. The various This Is England mini-series are excellent and The Fades is superb and rightly won the Bafta for best drama series in its year.

Oh wow, how did I miss that he was a writer for Skins? I rescind my initial comment and am now cautiously optimistic-- thanks for pointing this out!

You're welcome. If you like Skins I'd suggest tracking down The Fades. It sadly only got one series despite the awards success, but it has a similar teen vibe with a supernatural bent, some Skins cast members cross over too - Daniel Kaluuya, Lily Loveless, Joe Dempsie.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2017 11:13 pm 

R0lf wrote:
carmilla mircalla wrote:
Didn't Edwards say that he also shot scenes just for the trailer because they would look good in a trailer? at least that's something I heard. I never knew how little of his own footage actually ended up in the final film or if he in fact shot whole cohesive scenes

I think that was Spiderman?

It may have been Spider-Man also, but it was definitely true of Rogue One, as well. The shot of Jyn looking back above the camera in her Imperial disguise which closed the first trailer/teaser was such a shot, for instance, and the money shot of the TIE Fighter coming up to her on the platform was also an effects shot created for the trailer alone.

We're probably a decade or two away from some Peter Biskind coming along and writing the Raging Bulls of the Kathy Kennedy/Lucasfilm years, so right now we have a lot of speculation. We know that the third act of the film was reworked and streamlined -- it used to be that the team got the plans then sprinted across the beach to a different facility to beam them up, but now of course that tower is in the same edifice from which the plans are seized. The Forrest Whitaker scenes were clearly all reshot; Alan Tudyk's droid appears to have first met Jyn on Scarif in the initial conception. This is all gleaned from early trailers and interview comments. What we don't know is how involved Edwards was with these reshoots; it was reported that Tony Gilroy was brought into "help oversee" (or similar phrasing) the reshoots, but I personally haven't seen article that implies Edwards was not present or uninvolved.

My speculation is that the reshot scenes may have been, to oversimplify, Gilroy's scenes but Edwards' setups; there is a consistent shooting style throughout the film. It also seems clear that Edwards was still the primary force behind the spectacle and effects work. Furthermore, it would also seem that the removal of Lord & Miller from the Solo film stems in part from their refusal to "play along" with Lucasfilm's desired reshoots; Edwards staying on Rogue One implies he played ball and was still a participant in what was going on. We'll see one day when an expose is written if this is right or wrong.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:52 pm 

I mean Carrie was still alive when Colin started to write episode 9, so maybe that's part of the reason for rewriting with someone else.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2017 12:53 pm 

bearcuborg wrote:
I mean Carrie was still alive when Colin started to write episode 9, so maybe that's part of the reason for rewriting with someone else.

Friends of yours?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 3:36 pm 

Disney's on top of what we all want: an Obi-Wan movie, obviously, but first choice for director's gotta be Daldry.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:38 pm 

What is the point of hiring another left-field choice that they're just going to end up forcing out of the production?

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:44 pm 

I mean, no one cares about Stephen Daldry, for one.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 4:45 pm 

PfR73 wrote:
left-field choice

Not sure what field Daldry's from exactly, but I'd go looking for another field, stat

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:28 pm 

Oh, I'm not a fan of Daldry; my point being he's another director who seems like an incongruous choice for the clear template they want all Star Wars films to fit, so why even pursue him? Even if he were to start making a good film for once, it's still almost certainly going to be another case of a director not making the kind of film they want and you'll have another disastrous production.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:39 pm 

Oh, I don't really think so, he strikes me as much more of a Ron Howard than a Lord & Miller. His films aren't really directly personal so much as just kind of generic prestige Oscar-y movies, which to me says he just does what the distributors/producers want him to do to maximize awards runs. He seems like much more of the type that should be doing these films (the fact they're producer-controlled is not a bad thing in and of itself - the Bond films have thrived for decades on that format). Daldry is at least competent enough to theoretically execute Kennedy or whomever's vision decently. It's just a super boring, unexciting choice.

Last edited by Ribs on Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 5:40 pm 

I imagine they're aiming for what Twilight did with Condon.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:13 pm 

There have been rumblings of it being Yojimbo inspired. I'd buy that for a dollar.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2017 8:18 pm 
Dot Com Dom

You're confused, it's going to be based on Yambo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 10:24 am 

mfunk9786 wrote:
Friends of yours?

Um...oookay.

Ribs wrote:
It's just a super boring, unexciting choice.

Agreed, but in light of all that's happened with Han Solo, I get it...

I'll start the speculation of a possible storyline. He has to be related to Rey somehow, so this might be her origin story - however in the hell that's possible with the timeline. I'll also lay good money the villain is Vader - but I wouldn't mind a crazy Castaway like Obi Wan story, with no villain.

While Vader does mention last seeing him as a student, Tarkin says that Obi Wan must be dead...which doesn't make sense since he defeated Vader. It doesn't read as an age thing either...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2017 6:28 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Tom Hardy and Princes William and Harry have cameos in the Last Jedi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:34 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Michael K Williams has been cut from the Han Solo movie. Good to hear someone speaking up publicly for Lord and Miller too:
Quote:
“I felt great about what I created with the directors that I worked with,” said Williams, who was cast in the Han Solo origin story by original helming duo Phil Lord and Chris Miller, who exited in June. “It is what it is.”

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2017 2:59 pm 

Now we definitely know this won't be good. Could anything by improved by less MKW?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 8:24 pm 

Disney Announces Young Aunt Beru Spinoff Film

Yes, I know The Hard Times is a satire site.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 30, 2017 10:55 pm 

I certainly wouldn't put it past them.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:33 pm 

I have pretty good memories of playing the Shadows of the Empire Nintendo 64 game. I hoped they would’ve made that by now.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2017 11:08 pm 

Luke M wrote:
I have pretty good memories of playing the Shadows of the Empire Nintendo 64 game. I hoped they would’ve made that by now.

No longer canon. Au revoir, Prince Xizor.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:33 pm 
Dot Com Dom

domino harvey wrote:
Michael K Williams has been cut from the Han Solo movie. Good to hear someone speaking up publicly for Lord and Miller too:
Quote:
“I felt great about what I created with the directors that I worked with,” said Williams, who was cast in the Han Solo origin story by original helming duo Phil Lord and Chris Miller, who exited in June. “It is what it is.”

Paul Bettany has been cast in Williams' role-- now there's an actor I have not thought about in years

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:16 pm 

That's only because Jennifer Connelly helped you to stop seeing him.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:21 pm 

All the Best People wrote:
Luke M wrote:

No longer canon. Au revoir, Prince Xizor.

Such a bummer.

Re: Paul Bettany he’s been the voice inside the Iron Man suit and now plays Vision in the Avengers films.

PostPosted: Fri Sep 01, 2017 7:43 pm 

He's also playing Ted Kaczynski in Discovery's more-interesting-than-it-should-be "Manhunt: Unabomber."

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 1134 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 46  Next