Star Wars: Original/Prequel Trilogies & General Thread

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
denti alligator

Re: Star Wars films

#126 Post by denti alligator » Sat Aug 14, 2010 9:24 pm

Actually the Special Edition of Empire is the least offensive.

I was thinking about Lucas's comment. It's very expensive to restore those originals. So why not let someone else pay for it? Whoever did it would recoup the cost times 10.

Saturnome

#127 Post by Saturnome » Sat Aug 14, 2010 10:54 pm

That doesn't make sense. I wonder about the state of the prints, but I'm pretty sure even The Godfather's restauration paid off quickly (or you can correct me).

Alphonse Doinel

#128 Post by Alphonse Doinel » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:14 am

Lucas should be sent to therapy. It's understandable that he thinks the special editions are better. At least in his head. What is not understandable is that he doesn't want to give fans a choice. I assume he just doesn't want people owning the 'inferior' versions so they can eventually be erased from history.

Don't know if this article has been posted elsewhere, but its an interesting read.

Svevan

#129 Post by Svevan » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:58 am

The discussed ending of the film that Kurtz favored presented the rebel forces in tatters, Leia grappling with her new duties as queen and Luke walking off alone “like Clint Eastwood in the spaghetti westerns,” as Kurtz put it.
ho-lee shit that would have been awesome

Also, Kurtz has an epic beard (and chin).

Finch

#130 Post by Finch » Sun Aug 15, 2010 6:00 am

Never going to happen of course but Lucas would still not agree to a restoration of the untouched originals if the fans managed to collect enough money to finance a restoration. Lucas' contempt for his original vision is only surpassed by his contempt for those fans who only embrace that vision. This was never better demonstrated than in the reissue of the originals proper in a non-anarmorphic laserdisc port - talk about flipping the proverbial middle finger at your fans. This, to me, is far more enraging than the prequels, terrible though they are.

Anyhow, if they are genuinely ever going to sell the originals only in a bundle with that crap on Blu, I'm going to buy the 2007 DVD of Empire again.

Person

#131 Post by Person » Sun Aug 15, 2010 8:41 am

Lucas' vision of his work is locked down, ie. THX-1138, American Graffiti, the Star Wars Saga. He spend a long time restoring and preserving the 35mm elements of his films and re-doing the special effects so in his mind, at least, the films as we have them on DVD are complete and the versions we had on Laserdisc are just that - the old, unfinished versions. But he should take a page out his buddy Steve's book and do a Close Encounters 3-version Blu-ray. But he probably feels he already did that with the non-anamorphic editions of Star Wars.

I asked a question here a few years ago about the condition of the camera negatives of ANH, ESB and ROTJ, ie. are the o-negs intact as they were in 1993 when the films were photo-chemically restored? That shouldbe the case. The 35mm elements should be in GREAT condition. I think that Lucas is bullshitting big-time. The Blu-rays will be 2007 versions - or even re-jigged further. Frankly, I'm not that bothered, personally, but I do want to own Graffiti on Blu. That's Lucas' best film and one of the best American films ever made, I feel.

colinr0380

#132 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:24 am

I agree with Person, Spielberg had the right approach with Close Encounters and later providing both the original and retouched versions of E.T. on DVD. It just seems like bloody mindedness on Lucas's part - he'd probably make a good deal of money on the original version of the trilogy but simply doesn't feel the need to issue it especially now when the more time that passes the bigger the deal the 'original' version becomes, so it becomes even more impossible to just quietly release it due to the implication by doing so that it might be a more satisfying version, or that the protests were somehow justified.

I don't really have an issue with someone retouching or re-editing their films after the fact, but once a film has been placed out there commercially and people have formed their own relationship with the film in one version then it is just a matter of courtesy to provide that original version along with whatever version is preferred.

Although I'm not the greatest fan of Star Wars I love THX-1138, and really find those same kinds of clunkily inserted CG 'wow!' sequences trying to expand the scope of this otherwise quite intimate story really unnecessary (especially as they work against the tone of the film where you have a split into thirds structure of a fractured love story, a blank prison story and an ironically truncated action/chase film sterilely dictated by the costs of capturing the fugitives. All the shots widening out the world with efficient banks of controllers at work, or fast moving trains, and especially the dumb 'dodging the traffic' section at the beginning of the car 'chase' sequence, totally undermine the stripped down raw power that the original scenes had). Luckily I've got an old television showing of the earlier version of that film, even in its original aspect ratio, but I'd be extremely happy if it ever turned up on a legitimate DVD or Blu release.

Person

#133 Post by Person » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:49 am

Lucas is a gonk. If the original cuts of the 1977-83 films were released as a Blu-ray-only, then even Stevie Wonder (I hate Stevie Wonder quips yet I use them always) would shag ass to Sharper Image.

I'm watching my DVD-R of the 1977 cut now. Surprisingly watchable for a low-bitrate, 4:3 letterbox analogue transfer from back in the 90s (I love that phrase, "back in the 90s..." I contrived it in 1997 and couldn't wait to use it - sad!). Maybe it's the upscaling. The sound is AMAZING. A very enjoyable experience! It's weird how watching some old transfers is nostalgic and cozy, isn't it?! I envy you guys who have 15+ year old Lasers! Such quaint days, but so much effort was required to create an optimal transfer in the 80s and 90s.

Anyway, Porkins is told to "eject" in the 1977 film! Eject! In space? Without a spacesuit? Fucking wise up!

knives

#134 Post by knives » Sun Aug 15, 2010 1:07 pm

Finch wrote: Lucas' contempt for his original vision is only surpassed by his contempt for those fans who only embrace that vision.
The really pissy thing is that (at least for the first two) you really can't call it his solitary vision as basically every new voice from the period had imput into those films. He's screwing with the vision of several artists. The last twenty years or so have turned him into a parody of David O. Selznick practically. At least I have my VHSs.

Steven H

#135 Post by Steven H » Wed Aug 18, 2010 11:41 am

HarryLong

#136 Post by HarryLong » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:36 pm

knives wrote:
Finch wrote: Lucas' contempt for his original vision is only surpassed by his contempt for those fans who only embrace that vision.
The really pissy thing is that (at least for the first two) you really can't call it his solitary vision as basically every new voice from the period had imput into those films. He's screwing with the vision of several artists. The last twenty years or so have turned him into a parody of David O. Selznick practically. At least I have my VHSs.
Agreed.
Last year I found the original trilogy in abox set at the library's annual sale. Burned 'em to DVD. They're non-anamorphic and pan & scan, as god meant them to be!

jsteffe

Re: Star Wars Films

#137 Post by jsteffe » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:48 pm

Aren't the theatrical cuts of the first Star Wars films available on the second discs of these sets?

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Episode ... B000FQJAIW

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Episode ... B000FQJAJG

http://www.amazon.com/Star-Wars-Episode ... B000FQVX78

If I recall correctly, they're 4:3 letterboxed and not anamorphic, though, since they use the same masters as the laserdiscs. I'd imagine they also look better than DVD-Rs of the laserdiscs.

knives

#138 Post by knives » Wed Aug 18, 2010 1:50 pm

I've got the Empire of that and they look all right on my tube teevee. It's not pristine or anything, but are in more than good condition.

aox

#139 Post by aox » Wed Aug 18, 2010 2:33 pm

The only thing that is making me excited about this set (other than the films being in HD), is that hopefully he will include all of the deleted scenes from the original trilogy. A New Hope has something like 20-40 minutes of excised footage (though I think the other two films only have a scene or two) from what I have read. Even a dropped subplot from what I understand.

Alphonse Doinel

#140 Post by Alphonse Doinel » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:47 pm

aox wrote:The only thing that is making me excited about this set (other than the films being in HD), is that hopefully he will include all of the deleted scenes from the original trilogy. A New Hope has something like 20-40 minutes of excised footage (though I think the other two films only have a scene or two) from what I have read. Even a dropped subplot from what I understand.
The ROTJ deleted scene that has already been leaked was a nice tease. Been waiting for that one a long time.

It has of course been removed, courtesy of Lucasfilm.

The funny (not) thing is, I believe it was anamorphic. I guess they can spend the money to restore deleted scenes, but not the actual films.

oldsheperd

#141 Post by oldsheperd » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:30 pm

Bring me up to speed, Fellas. What are these excised scenes we are talking about?

aox

#142 Post by aox » Wed Aug 18, 2010 4:48 pm

oldsheperd wrote:Bring me up to speed, Fellas. What are these excised scenes we are talking about?
Scroll down to "Lost Scenes" for Episode IV:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_ ... e#Releases" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and an incomplete list of deleted scenes from all six films:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_ch ... A_New_Hope" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

flyonthewall2983

#143 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:25 am

The blu-ray announcement is coming today.

willoneill

#144 Post by willoneill » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:53 am

maybe?

aox

#145 Post by aox » Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:19 am

Yes, it is. But I think we have to wait until 2pm pst

willoneill

#146 Post by willoneill » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:04 pm

Well I was skeptical, but wrong, and for that I apologize:

http://www.blu-ray.com/news/?id=5709

Tom Hagen

#147 Post by Tom Hagen » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:07 pm

Considerate of Lucas et al to realize a lot of people have no desire to pay for or own the prequels.

Alphonse Doinel

#148 Post by Alphonse Doinel » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:18 pm

It's too bad that you have to pay for all of them to get the special features though.

There's always a catch when it comes to Star Wars.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#149 Post by swo17 » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:19 pm

Nice subtle reference to Lucas' crimes against humanity by releasing this September 2011th.
Contrary to what some hoped and others feared, no 3D Blu-ray announcement was made.
The article mentions this but no complaints about the lack of the untinkered original trilogy?

willoneill

#150 Post by willoneill » Thu Jan 06, 2011 4:20 pm

swo17 wrote:The article mentions this but no complaints about the lack of the untinkered original trilogy?
I think people have given up on that one. You can't have everything in life.