The Other Side of the Wind (Orson Welles, 2018)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
captveg

Re: The Other Side of the Wind (Orson Welles)

#126 Post by captveg » Tue Jun 23, 2015 5:37 pm

From today's update:

"1) This movie will be made! There’s been some talk recently about the amount of money we’ve raised versus our goal. We want to assure you that your money is NOT going to waste. Every penny we earn on this campaign helps bring us one step closer to bringing this film to life and your contributions are a critical part of that. Even if we do not reach our goal, we will make sure your money is well spent in bringing this instant classic to life."

Also, some details regarding the rights and how this effort is different from previous pre-rights-secured ones. I think they wrote up this article just for you, David. http://filmmakermagazine.com/94552-behi ... YnRDEZGZ0p" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also revealed in that article is that they hired editor Affonso Gonçalves

hearthesilence

#127 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:07 pm

Gonçalves was actually confirmed when the campaign was launched. (The NY Times and many other articles mentioned him.)

captveg

#128 Post by captveg » Tue Jun 23, 2015 6:44 pm

hearthesilence wrote:Gonçalves was actually confirmed when the campaign was launched. (The NY Times and many other articles mentioned him.)
Not sure how I missed that...

hollis

#129 Post by hollis » Thu Jul 02, 2015 3:52 pm

Wow, it just jumped from 28% to 34% funded. Maybe some big guns are coming out of the woodwork last-minute?

I wish they were just a bit clearer what happens next if it doesn't receive full funding, as still looks likely. The insistence that it will be made! is great and welcome, but what does it entail exactly?

captveg

#130 Post by captveg » Thu Jul 02, 2015 4:44 pm

Someone dropped $25k for an Associate Producer credit (the first of the producer credits to sell), so that certainly helps.

Roger Ryan

#131 Post by Roger Ryan » Tue Jul 07, 2015 1:07 pm

A new Wellesnet article reveals that the negative will soon be shipped to Santa Monica and all of the footage will be scanned in 4K to digitally preserve every frame Welles shot. Editing of the film is expected to begin within two weeks.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#132 Post by Drucker » Tue Aug 04, 2015 8:57 am

An interview with Jonathan Rosenbaum translated from Italian:

One of the more discouraging interactions, though it appears to pre-date some more recent announcements, and the end of the Kickstarter.
In recent months, there has been a lot written – especially in America – about "The Other Side of the Wind" and the attempt to bring it to completion. The film tells the story of an old director, played by John Huston, who dies the same night of his 70th birthday. Welles had designed the narrative according to an alternation between the long night of the birthday party and film segments that the old director was filming. Do you know how this crowdfunding operation to finish "The Other Side of the Wind" is actually going?

Jonathan Rosenbaum: Well, let's just say I can only tell you what the signals are in this regard. I'm supposed to be a consultant for this project, but what I understand from Oja and from other sources is that, at this time they have still not collected all the money needed to complete it. And there is also a problem of contracts that should be negotiated again. The operation is the first of Frank Marshall, who is a producer and has produced many films by, among others, Bogdanovich and Spielberg, so he should already be rich enough. But things still have not been unlocked, and I do not know how much this fundraiser is bearing fruit.

And what about the fact that the fundraiser says that Peter Bogdanovich would be the best person to oversee the final editing of the film?

Jonathan Rosenbaum: I have doubts about that. Oja thinks the same, that Frank Marshall and Peter are the people most suitable to finish the film, but I'm not so convinced. You know, part of the problem in relation to "The Other Side of the Wind", comes from the fact that Oja worked creatively on it, not just because she cooperated with Welles in the drafting of the screenplay and because she plays a role, but also because she directed a sequence.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#133 Post by Drucker » Wed Aug 12, 2015 12:27 pm

Jeffrey Wells outlines some problems he's hearing, mostly centered around Oja being Oja. This doesn't sound far-fetched to me, but this delightful line at the end reminds the reader that the keeper of the blog is still a giant asshole:
Knowing absolutely nothing, I smell a onetime gold-digger who had a great 24-year ride with one of the most mesmerizing creative malcontents of the 20th Century, but who’s now 74 years old and thinking about security and determined to get all she can while the getting’s good.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#134 Post by Drucker » Thu Dec 03, 2015 12:25 pm

From Wellesnet Facebook:
Joseph McBride, arguably the finest Welles scholar today and a co-star in "The Other Side of the Wind," posted the following on his Facebook page: "It's time for the producers to gear up for the inevitable lawsuit against Oja Kodar and Sasha Welles for obstructing the release of THE OTHER SIDE OF THE WIND. Oja has been doing that for seventeen years now, and the much-ballyhooed announcement a year ago has been for naught. The question of why she has blocked the film will be left for future historians, and her legacy and that of her allies, including some supposed Welles admirers, will not come off well in those assessments. The discovery process should be illuminating. Hopefully the court will award the Sasha-Oja share of the rights to the producers."
I asked Stefan Droessler about a minor contradiction in his lecture vs. McBride's book (as I alluded to in the Welles' thread) and he made a remark that "McBride tells a lot of tales." I wasn't going to share that post, but in light of this, it seems illuminating. From my perspective, those who work closely with Kodar (like Droessler), seem to be on "her side", whereas people not close to her seem to point the blame in her direction for mishandling the Welles legacy.

FrauBlucher

#136 Post by FrauBlucher » Tue Mar 29, 2016 2:42 pm

FrauBlucher

#137 Post by FrauBlucher » Mon Apr 04, 2016 9:01 pm

hearthesilence

#138 Post by hearthesilence » Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:32 pm

Jesus, those jackasses have no idea how lucky they are that Netflix is even interested. If they botch this up...

captveg

#139 Post by captveg » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:03 am

The Kodars are infuriating. They "want the film to be seen" yet can't even allow the negative to be inspected before payment, or be willing to give up the Croatian distribution?

"Oh, I got to stay free in a hotel in LA for months while my aunt refused to comply with the contractual agreement. It was such a burden." Yeah, I feel so sorry for you.

Just take your damn $2+ million at this point and be happy.

AK

#140 Post by AK » Tue Apr 05, 2016 4:12 am

I'd be amazing to see this done, but I feel the more public interest there is (this time thanks to Netflix's involvement), the more the contracts need to be readjusted because they realize there's more money in it than previously expected.

beamish13

#141 Post by beamish13 » Tue Apr 05, 2016 10:31 am

Releasing a documentary and finished feature simultaneously is inarguably the best way to approach this project. It's the only way to satisfy purists who won't accept a work Welles did not complete himself.

big ticket

#142 Post by big ticket » Thu Apr 07, 2016 4:25 pm

From an e-mail update:
Dear Contributors,

Since the end of our Indiegogo campaign on July 6, 2015, we have been diligently exploring means of distribution for the film, so that it can be seen in the best and widest way possible. Naturally, our conversations with potential partners have been confidential, making it impossible to provide you with the timely updates you all deserve. We have been very close, at times a week or weeks away, but, through no fault of our own, those weeks turned into months.

I would like to address a few points:

First and foremost, we are working tirelessly to finish the film.

The perks you selected will be delivered as promised.

We have not received any, formal refund requests and fielded only one such inquiry.

The intense attention the film has received and our long silence have fueled rumors and false news stories, which threaten to jeopardize our plans. Even this update, which is admittedly long overdue, and the frustration being voiced by some fans, however justified, will likely create even more unwanted press … but I owed it to you to break our silence.

As our new partners on this 30-year journey to finish Orson’s final film, I know we all have the film’s best interests at heart. We could not have come this far without your support. I greatly appreciate your patience and hope to share our exciting plans as soon as I am able.

Sincerely,

Filip
This past week has certainly been the most encouraging this film has encountered in the year since its completion was presented as achievable, but you'll have to excuse me for keeping my guard up in the mean time...

Roger Ryan

#144 Post by Roger Ryan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:22 pm

Finally.

Importantly, all of the footage is now in Los Angeles and all of it will be scanned in 4K. A sweet deal that doesn't impose a release date; Welles was never this lucky in his lifetime (well, not after Kane anyway).

Altair

#145 Post by Altair » Tue Mar 14, 2017 3:44 pm

Amazing - although as ever with this seemingly cursed film, I won't quite believe it until I see it.

beamish13

#146 Post by beamish13 » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:11 pm

did any backers actually pay for the 35mm print perk? God, I want to see this in celluloid so badly.

I honestly hope they make 2 cuts of the film-a documentary that acknowledges its unfinished status and an approximation of what Welles wanted. That's the only way to satisfy the purists. Plus access to the rough cut that was schlepped around after Welles' death, and which was seen by George Lucas and Clint Eastwood.

Roger Ryan

#147 Post by Roger Ryan » Tue Mar 14, 2017 4:43 pm

From the Wellesnet coverage of this story:

The agreement calls for producers to deliver to Netflix, among other elements, a 35mm print of the completed film, which leaves the door open to some type of theatrical release.

I feel pretty certain there will be a documentary of some kind associated with the release.

captveg

#148 Post by captveg » Tue Mar 14, 2017 5:50 pm

Just got the email and came here. The fact that the film is actually in LA is the biggest piece of news, IMO. That always seemed to be the primary hurdle.

hearthesilence

#149 Post by hearthesilence » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:34 pm

When the film is completely scanned and duplicated on drives, I'll feel better.

whaleallright

#150 Post by whaleallright » Tue Mar 14, 2017 10:51 pm

35mm print of the completed film, which leaves the door open to some type of theatrical release.
I should note that a 35mm print is hardly necessary for theatrical distribution these days. This thing could exist only in the digital domain and still get a high-profile theatrical rollout.