Borat: Cultural Learnings of America (Larry Charles, 2006)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Polybius

#26 Post by Polybius » Fri Oct 27, 2006 3:47 am

Gutless studios and clueless survey respondents drag us down, yet again, in their cultural death spiral toward oblivion.

Antoine Doinel

#27 Post by Antoine Doinel » Fri Oct 27, 2006 7:55 am

The move actually makes a lot of sense. As much as college kids, YouTube addicts and Brit comedy fans know who Borat is, I'm sure middle America has no idea who he is. And though there is much buzz surrounding the film, I'm sure the studio wants to avoid a Snakes On A Plane flop where the hype was just that. Hype.

The gradual rollout is a great idea. Little Miss Sunshine benefitted hugely from that strategy this summer, building great word of mouth and resulting in higher than expected box office returns.

Fletch F. Fletch

#28 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Thu Nov 02, 2006 1:59 pm

Hoberman digs it.

John Cope

#29 Post by John Cope » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:07 pm

Mr Sausage

#30 Post by Mr Sausage » Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:29 pm

John Cope wrote:Armond doesn't
What a horribly smug review. He finds it morally distasteful, fair enough; but his review is neither thoughtful nor critical on the matter. All he does is find as many ways as possible to express his disgust and then insult whoever takes the opposite view. There is nothing useful in this. It is as tasteless as anything Borat has ever done but lacks any amusement or irony. In fact, its uselessness is easily demonstrated, since the entire review can be reduced to the single sentence "I found this morally reprehensible" without a single loss. It even improves, since one sentence takes much less time to read.

The review is not actually about the movie and how it works or doesn't. It is about how everyone's conception of Borat and left-wing politics is shit, and they are awful. Could have at least been fun if he weren't so damn serious about it.

Zumpano

#31 Post by Zumpano » Thu Nov 02, 2006 11:44 pm

Per Hoberman's Review, it's interesting to learn that Cohen's dissertation at Cambridge was "the role of Jews in the American Civil Rights Movement".

Polybius

#32 Post by Polybius » Fri Nov 03, 2006 1:42 am

Incidentally, I should probably mention that I live just up the road from the location of the rodeo incident.

At the time, it was reported as someone nondescript coming out of nowhere to perform a bizarre stunt, like the usual people who crash sports events and run onto the field. Only later did Cohen's name get connected to it, and thus have all the pieces fall into place for those of us who know who he is and what he does.

This area isn't that much of a backwater, but what yahoos we have around here (and they're a signifigant minority) are likely going to be concentrated at a rodeo. I think the lynching remark was overstated, but they're clearly not his target audience, and were none too happy at the time.

milk114

#33 Post by milk114 » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:21 am

My hope is the eventual dvd release comes with a second disc that actually has Sasha Baron Cohen on it, not just Borat riffing endlessly. It seems like a sociological experiment gone wild, and hearing him explain his ideas behind the film and character would be satisfying. Of course, a Borat commentary will be humorous as well. But hearing Cohen comment on what his impressions were when the rodeo fans supposedly were gearing up for a lynching, as reported by the local paper, or if the people depicted in the film responded after they realized they were duped and how he responded to them, would be fascinating. I'm looking forward to this movie obvious and am hoping its a bit more multilayered than just a Jackass riff, which seems to be what some people want to take away from it.

jon

#34 Post by jon » Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:41 am

what happened in the rodeo scene? they were preparing to lynch Borat?
sounds like gold...

Antoine Doinel

#35 Post by Antoine Doinel » Fri Nov 03, 2006 10:39 am

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the rodeo scene was the reason original director Todd Phillips left the film and why production was shut down for five months.

jon

#36 Post by jon » Fri Nov 03, 2006 2:39 pm

Ebert gave it a 4/4

though, ever since he has been back, every movie he has reviewed has gotten a 4/4

just suprised, not saying i use Ebert as a credible critic

mikeohhh

#37 Post by mikeohhh » Fri Nov 03, 2006 3:40 pm

John Cope wrote:Ann Coulter doesn't

Andre Jurieu

#38 Post by Andre Jurieu » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:17 pm

Mr_sausage wrote:
John Cope wrote:Armond doesn't
What a horribly smug review. He finds it morally distasteful, fair enough; but his review is neither thoughtful nor critical on the matter. All he does is find as many ways as possible to express his disgust and then insult whoever takes the opposite view. There is nothing useful in this. It is as tasteless as anything Borat has ever done but lacks any amusement or irony. In fact, its uselessness is easily demonstrated, since the entire review can be reduced to the single sentence "I found this morally reprehensible" without a single loss. It even improves, since one sentence takes much less time to read.

The review is not actually about the movie and how it works or doesn't. It is about how everyone's conception of Borat and left-wing politics is shit, and they are awful. Could have at least been fun if he weren't so damn serious about it.
I think you've essentially just described every movie review Armond White has ever written. I admit I do find him interesting once in a while. His perspective on movies are certainly contentious but he isn't the same thing as Ann Coulter.
Last edited by Andre Jurieu on Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Invunche

#39 Post by The Invunche » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:29 pm

rumz

#40 Post by rumz » Fri Nov 03, 2006 4:55 pm

jon wrote:Ebert gave it a 4/4

though, ever since he has been back, every movie he has reviewed has gotten a 4/4

just suprised, not saying i use Ebert as a credible critic
Are you sure that's Ebert and not Jim Emerson?

Cinesimilitude

#41 Post by Cinesimilitude » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:34 pm

rumz wrote:Are you sure that's Ebert and not Jim Emerson?
funny, most of the reviews on eberts page say they were written by emerson, yet they still show the ebert rating at the top as what is written.

Barmy

#42 Post by Barmy » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:39 pm

Not that I care but I read somewhere that the only review Ebert has written recently is for The Queen. The Borat review was written by the other guy. There seems to a ridiculous number of 4 star reviews.

Jeff

#43 Post by Jeff » Fri Nov 03, 2006 5:57 pm

Barmy wrote:Not that I care but I read somewhere that the only review Ebert has written recently is for The Queen. The Borat review was written by the other guy. There seems to a ridiculous number of 4 star reviews.
Jim Emerson did indeed write the Borat review. Besides The Queen, Ebert has also penned reviews for Marie Antoinette and 49 Up recently. He watched The Queen on video from his hospital bed, but saw the other two theatrically before his surgery. He's only bothering to write reviews of films he has loved, which is why all three of those get four stars. There's no accounting for Emerson's love of stars, unless he just thinks that they're pretty.

jon

#44 Post by jon » Sat Nov 04, 2006 12:15 am

Oh, my bad. Thought that he had fully recovered. Anyways, I guess this Emerson guy is a bit over zealous with the pretty little stars.

exte

#45 Post by exte » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:30 am

Funniest movie of the year, bar none.
Maybe best 'video movie' of all time?

MichaelB

#46 Post by MichaelB » Sat Nov 04, 2006 6:27 am

milk114 wrote:My hope is the eventual dvd release comes with a second disc that actually has Sasha Baron Cohen on it, not just Borat riffing endlessly. It seems like a sociological experiment gone wild, and hearing him explain his ideas behind the film and character would be satisfying. Of course, a Borat commentary will be humorous as well. But hearing Cohen comment on what his impressions were when the rodeo fans supposedly were gearing up for a lynching, as reported by the local paper, or if the people depicted in the film responded after they realized they were duped and how he responded to them, would be fascinating.
Unless Baron Cohen changes the habit of a lifetime, you're going to be disappointed - I don't believe he's ever given an interview out of character, and I can't see why he'd want to start now.

To at least some extent, Borat is the feature-length equivalent of Belle de Jour and Pulp Fiction's mysterious boxes/suitcases - neither Buñuel nor Tarantino ever said what was in them, and I'm guessing Baron Cohen is going to remain similarly tight-lipped. After all, a fair proportion of the comic tension in his film comes from simply not knowing how much his interlocutors were in on the joke, so why spoil this by spelling everything out?

On the other hand, if what's already appeared on YouTube is any guide, there should be deleted scenes galore.

Schkura

#47 Post by Schkura » Sat Nov 04, 2006 8:39 am

He's done a few out-of-character interviews (speaking of which, check YouTube), but maybe the DVD can include the brief meeting of Borat and Ali G that did not go so well.

solaris72

#48 Post by solaris72 » Sat Nov 04, 2006 10:31 am

MichaelB wrote:Unless Baron Cohen changes the habit of a lifetime, you're going to be disappointed - I don't believe he's ever given an interview out of character, and I can't see why he'd want to start now.
Sacha Baron Cohen Interview

tryavna

#49 Post by tryavna » Sat Nov 04, 2006 1:09 pm

This film must be doing extremely well. A couple of friends and I tried to see it last night, and all showings were sold out at two different theaters!

jorencain

#50 Post by jorencain » Sat Nov 04, 2006 4:08 pm

I just saw "Borat", and I hate to say....I was disappointed. I love "Da Ali G Show", and Borat is my favorite character on it, but this is not as good. For me, the problem is that, by making a feature film, they had to create a storyline. There is just too much scripted stuff. When he and his "producer" get into the fight in the hotel room (I'm being vague so I don't give anything away), it turns into a "conventional" comedy, and the humor evaporates. There is too much of a blur between reality and scripted material, which I thought did NOT work in the film's favor.

I thought that there weren't enough "interviews" with people included in the movie, or enough opportunities for the interviewees to make idiots of themselves. That's what I wanted to see, but it's mostly gags on Borat's end. Also, when he's staying at the Bed and Breakfast, the old couple are clearly in on the joke. They've got grins on their faces as they bring up the sandwiches, and it's a wasted opportunity for Borat to finally interact with (and be schooled by) some Jews.

I did laugh, but it wasn't as funny as the show. I imagine the rave reviews that it's getting are mostly from people who haven't seen the show.