Superbad (Greg Mottola, 2007)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
abuckley89

Superbad (Greg Mottola, 2007)

#1 Post by abuckley89 » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:00 am

I've seen two advanced screenings of this film. Out of all the great comedies this year (Hot Fuzz, Ratatouille, Knocked Up, and more I can't think of) I must say that this might be my favorite. I was very disappointed to see Michael Cera in what looked like a crappy teen sex comedy after viewing the trailer, but after seeing the film I love the guy even more. The film has an excellent soundtrack, nice direction, funny writing, and some supurb comic acting. I'm quite positive this will be a classic in the vein of Dazed and Confused.

I'm sure many will be reluctant to see this because it sounds like every other cliche teen sex comedy out there... but this one is truly different in that it's good. I implore all with a funny bone to go see it.

miless

#2 Post by miless » Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:39 pm

I've been looking forward to this film moreso than any other hollywood film since Children Of Men. When many films have been very disappointing this summer (The Simpsons Movie!) Superbad and The Ten look as if they might save my summer.

justeleblanc

#3 Post by justeleblanc » Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:09 pm

THE TEN is terrible.

I was all excited about SUPERBAD until I caught KNOCKED UP which, when compared to VIRGIN, was slightly disappointing and a step back for Apatow. I'll still see this film, but I'm beginning to be annoyed at the many fast talking Jonah rants that I've seen in the previews and the first-looks, but in general I do like teen sex comedies.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4 Post by domino harvey » Sun Aug 12, 2007 7:38 pm

This looks great, though I'm even more excited for Juno

abuckley89

#5 Post by abuckley89 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 1:20 am

domino harvey wrote:This looks great, though I'm even more excited for Juno
Has a trailer been released? It reunites Jason Bateman and Michael Cera... which makes my heart warm.

Antoine Doinel

#6 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:46 am

Definitely looking forward to this in a huge way. I saw Knocked Up for the second time and the tail-end of a triple drive-in bill this weekend and it still holds up very very well. Loved it.

Apatow is saving the whole "teen movie"/"grossout" genre, Cera, Jonah Hill, Seth Rogen and the rest of the crew are thankfully actually funny outside of the films they are in which makes a huge difference when the camera is turned on.

Other films coming up in the Apatow-produced roster include:
Walk Hard (parody of music biopics starring John C. Reilly)
The Pineapple Express (directed by David Gordon Green, starring James Franco)
Drillbit Taylor (starring Owen Wilson)
You Don't Mess With The Zohan (about a Mossad agent who fakes his death so he can become a hairdresser :shock: ; starring Adam Sandler :shock:
Step Brothers (starring Will Ferrell and John C. Reilly)

malcolm1980

#7 Post by malcolm1980 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 11:45 am

Michael Cera is crazy talented. He has superb comic timing, intelligence and a sweet personality to boot. He's gonna be big this year.

milk114

#8 Post by milk114 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:50 pm

Don't forget Forgetting Sarah Marshall written by and starring Jason Segel on the Apatow production schedule

i'm also thinking Superbad can only improve my mood this weekend.

miless

#9 Post by miless » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:51 pm

for anyone who hasn't seen Clark and Michael yet... here it is: http://clarkandmichael.com/
Hillarious internet "reality" show...

abuckley89

#10 Post by abuckley89 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:44 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote:The Pineapple Express (directed by David Gordon Green, starring James Franco)
David Gordon Green? That's going to be one of the most interesting comedies ever made. Like seriously... I'm so psyched.

patrick

#11 Post by patrick » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:38 pm

I am beyond excited to see this.

I hope Apatow's crew keeps this streak rolling, but some of their upcoming films don't look too hot - although I'm glad to see John C. Reilly getting to do something other than appear on Scrubs and have bit parts in Oliver Stone movies.

Antoine Doinel

#12 Post by Antoine Doinel » Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:45 pm

patrick wrote:although I'm glad to see John C. Reilly getting to do something other than appear on Scrubs and have bit parts in Oliver Stone movies.
I think you're confusing him with John C. McGinley.

patrick

#13 Post by patrick » Tue Aug 14, 2007 1:07 pm

Jesus Christ, that happens to me ALL THE TIME.

#-o

cdnchris
Site Admin

#14 Post by cdnchris » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:21 am

"Argh, and I thought she was going to end up with Bill Paxton."
"That's Bill Pullman, you idiot!"

I'm looking forward to this movie. I was won over the instant I saw Cera's blank face on some lobby stand up. I instantly thought "I am so there." Now that I've seen the ads I'm actually looking forward to this a lot more.

flyonthewall2983

#15 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 12:57 am

I actually really want to see this now, the ad campaign, down to the use of Foreigner, is excellent.

BTW, I'd love to see a thread dedicating to actors we get mixed up. I used to get Rutger Hauer, and Tobin Bell (most known for his work in the Saw films) confused when I saw the latter in films such as In The Line of Fire.

miless

#16 Post by miless » Wed Aug 15, 2007 1:34 am

flyonthewall2983 wrote:I actually really want to see this now, the ad campaign, down to the use of Foreigner, is excellent.
I'm actually looking forward to it for the use of Van Halen (not to mention that they only used the awesome parts of Panama for the trailers)

Hai2u

#17 Post by Hai2u » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:03 am

This is probably THE funniest "teen" comedy I have ever seen.

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#18 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Sat Aug 18, 2007 2:08 am

You know, I really have to say it. It may be my favorite new movie this year. There wasn't a scene that was bad, and the few parts where it got a bit serious felt like an episode of Freaks and Geeks, which is great.

This movie is not for the easily offended. It may be the R-Rated films with the most penises (penii?) ever.

I don't think it's similar to Dazed and Confused though. Dazed feels a lot more realistic while Superbad is well aware it's a Comedy. Nonetheless, my favorite new film this year.

Cinesimilitude

#19 Post by Cinesimilitude » Sat Aug 18, 2007 3:26 am

Dazed was real to you because I'm guessing that's when you went through high school. this movie is my generations dazed and confused. Every scene, with the exception of the messed up cops, I could totally relate to something that happened in High School (2001-2004).

I loved it.

exte

#20 Post by exte » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:42 am

I failed to see Knocked Up and I'm kicking myself for it. Last night's screening of this was one of the most memorable for me for a comedy. Wow.

jon

#21 Post by jon » Sat Aug 18, 2007 4:24 pm

Funniest movie I've seen since...I can't even remember. I agree with you Snc, save for the scenes with the cops, which I enjoyed just as much as the rest of the movie, everything that happened in the movie felt like high school. It was actually a very touching movie. I'm seeing it again tonight.

It happens to something like 8% of kids.

miless

#22 Post by miless » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:55 pm

I was not let down in the slightest. This film was everything I have ever wanted from a high-school comedy, and more... great stuff.

I loved a lot of the jokes about movies that (it seems) only me and my friends got (at least at my screening)... the Orson Welles joke especially.

jorencain

#23 Post by jorencain » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:16 pm

I didn't laugh once during this, so I guess I'm the dissenting voice. I'm not sure how to form an argument or anything, but I just didn't find it funny at all.

Michael

#24 Post by Michael » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:19 pm

jorencain wrote:I didn't laugh once during this, so I guess I'm the dissenting voice. I'm not sure how to form an argument or anything, but I just didn't find it funny at all.
You're not the only one. I saw this earlier and there was nothing funny about it. Maybe I wasn't in the right frame of mind. It's nowhere near the brilliance of Dazed and Confused and Meatballs.

denti alligator

#25 Post by denti alligator » Sat Aug 18, 2007 10:59 pm

Hm. I laughed harder than I have in a long time. The audience didn't seem to get the "morning after" sequence, sadly, which was one of the funniest (and poignant, too). Funny I didn't laugh once during Dazed and Confused.