It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 
Author Message
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:58 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:26 pm
Nurse Betty is one of the most offensive, meaninglessly nasty on a low and unimaginative and smug level films I've ever seen. It has a 'funny'/'deserved' scalping. A fair amount of gratuitously dragged in, 'audacious' loathsomeness. And I'm certainly not someone who rejects nastiness across the board, or violence used in a comedic way either, or misanthropy, LOL. Just about my perfect image of a 'satirist' who is themselves basically a worthless symptom of their time. I was glad he subsequently disappeared.


Top
 Profile  
 

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:07 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:58 am
Location: Chicago, IL
I don’t remember details too well because it was a long time ago now, but I believe NURSE BETTY was the last time I ever walked out of a movie.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:28 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:38 am
I feel strangely obligated to see this film now...


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:41 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 02, 2013 12:26 pm
Brian C wrote:
I don’t remember details too well because it was a long time ago now, but I believe NURSE BETTY was the last time I ever walked out of a movie.

I saw it on video a looooong time ago, at my parents' house with my mom, LOL, and my brother. We actually watched the whole thing for some reason, and needless to say we all hated it! We still mention it from time to time as an example of the most distasteful films we've seen.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:57 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Dec 05, 2007 6:39 pm
Location: Los Angeles
Randall Maysin wrote:
Nurse Betty is one of the most offensive, meaninglessly nasty on a low and unimaginative and smug level films I've ever seen. It has a 'funny'/'deserved' scalping. A fair amount of gratuitously dragged in, 'audacious' loathsomeness. And I'm certainly not someone who rejects nastiness across the board, or violence used in a comedic way either, or misanthropy, LOL. Just about my perfect image of a 'satirist' who is themselves basically a worthless symptom of their time. I was glad he subsequently disappeared.
When I saw this in the theater there was a group of women sitting in front of me. When the scalping scene happened one of them said What the fuck Carol, I thought this was supposed to be a romantic comedy. So I kinda enjoyed it more after that.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:14 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:49 pm
I managed to see it in theaters as a little kid (my mother had no sense of censorship) and probably because of that I remember it somewhat fondly though at the time I felt it was only okay which my adult LaBute experiences suggest is probably right.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:05 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Mar 15, 2007 10:52 am
Location: Wilmington, NC
So I, uh, really like Nurse Betty, which I think is the first LaBute film that he didn't actually write. Admittedly I first saw it as a teenager but it held up for me as a cynical, weird black comedy when I watched it again several years ago. If nothing else it's worth a look for providing the then-rare opportunity for Chris Rock to really act. I do concede that the scalping is totally unnecessary though.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:20 pm 
Dot Com Dom
User avatar

Joined: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:42 pm
I like Nurse Betty too. There are several of us!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:31 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 10:25 am
Location: SLC, UT
dustybooks wrote:
So I, uh, really like Nurse Betty, which I think is the first LaBute film that he didn't actually write. Admittedly I first saw it as a teenager but it held up for me as a cynical, weird black comedy when I watched it again several years ago. If nothing else it's worth a look for providing the then-rare opportunity for Chris Rock to really act. I do concede that the scalping is totally unnecessary though.

Didn't the story call for something sufficiently traumatic to throw Betty into a fugue state?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:37 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 06, 2008 6:49 pm
Yes.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:54 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Aug 29, 2013 7:41 am
Location: Berlin, Germany
I barely remember Nurse Betty, I saw it at home and it didn’t make much of an impression on me. I loathed Your Friends and Neighbors. It’s one of those films I went to see at the cinema where I would have left, had I not gone with a friend.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:34 pm 
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:45 pm
Location: Washington
domino harvey wrote:
I like Nurse Betty too. There are several of us!
There are dozens of us! Dozens!

This movie actually came up at work a couple weeks ago, though I don't recall how it came about. Oddly the coworker liked it, which threw me. I said I likerd it to an extent but it was one of those that I still would never recommend to anyone.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:19 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri Sep 14, 2007 2:30 am
Location: Philadelphia via Chicago
I saw it in the theater having liked Labute’s first two. For whatever reason, I haven’t seen anything by him since. I remember loving this movie, particularly the relationship between Freeman and Rock. Nurse Betty had a lot warmth and heart. Also, this was Zwellwegger when she could seemingly do no wrong - appearing in crowd pleasers and more thought provoking films, like this and White Oleander.

Morbii, your thoughts?


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:04 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Nov 27, 2004 3:38 am
bearcuborg wrote:
Morbii, your thoughts?


I haven’t watched it yet, but I did order it, and it should be in my hands shortly!


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:45 am 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:25 pm
Location: Dubai
Love, like or hate it; one thing you cannot deny is Jean-Yves Escoffier's cinematography, which is stunning. Still waiting on the blu.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:25 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Feb 25, 2008 4:57 am
Location: East Coast, USA
Bumstead wrote:
Love, like or hate it; one thing you cannot deny is Jean-Yves Escoffier's cinematography, which is stunning. Still waiting on the blu.


This film has (or had) a genuine shot at Blu-ray, thanks to Universal's continually esoteric catalogue selections, but any chance of a US release has probably been scuppered by the revelations about LaBute.

I don't really remember this film, but I know I saw it. I wonder why it didn't make more of an impact on me with its apparently graphic content. Perhaps a licensed release will appear from Fabulous Films in the UK or Capelight or Koch in Germany. I would buy it to watch it again, preferably with the US/German DVD extras ported over.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:20 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Fri May 16, 2008 4:43 pm
Further discussion of LaBute's professional status with regard to the assumption that accusations against him are forthcoming (whew) has been moved here.


Top
 Profile  
 
PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:20 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Sep 24, 2016 12:25 pm
Location: Dubai
McCrutchy wrote:
This film has (or had) a genuine shot at Blu-ray, thanks to Universal's continually esoteric catalogue selections, but any chance of a US release has probably been scuppered by the revelations about LaBute.

I don't really remember this film, but I know I saw it. I wonder why it didn't make more of an impact on me with its apparently graphic content. Perhaps a licensed release will appear from Fabulous Films in the UK or Capelight or Koch in Germany. I would buy it to watch it again, preferably with the US/German DVD extras ported over.

Thanks for the infos. I'll keep an eye out for the European blu's.


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 18 posts ] 

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: colinr0380


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group




This site is not affiliated with The Criterion Collection