It is currently Fri Feb 23, 2018 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 1:58 pm 

Nurse Betty is one of the most offensive, meaninglessly nasty on a low and unimaginative and smug level films I've ever seen. It has a 'funny'/'deserved' scalping. A fair amount of gratuitously dragged in, 'audacious' loathsomeness. And I'm certainly not someone who rejects nastiness across the board, or violence used in a comedic way either, or misanthropy, LOL. Just about my perfect image of a 'satirist' who is themselves basically a worthless symptom of their time. I was glad he subsequently disappeared.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:07 pm 

I don’t remember details too well because it was a long time ago now, but I believe NURSE BETTY was the last time I ever walked out of a movie.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:28 pm 

I feel strangely obligated to see this film now...

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 2:41 pm 

Brian C wrote:
I don’t remember details too well because it was a long time ago now, but I believe NURSE BETTY was the last time I ever walked out of a movie.

I saw it on video a looooong time ago, at my parents' house with my mom, LOL, and my brother. We actually watched the whole thing for some reason, and needless to say we all hated it! We still mention it from time to time as an example of the most distasteful films we've seen.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:57 pm 

Randall Maysin wrote:
Nurse Betty is one of the most offensive, meaninglessly nasty on a low and unimaginative and smug level films I've ever seen. It has a 'funny'/'deserved' scalping. A fair amount of gratuitously dragged in, 'audacious' loathsomeness. And I'm certainly not someone who rejects nastiness across the board, or violence used in a comedic way either, or misanthropy, LOL. Just about my perfect image of a 'satirist' who is themselves basically a worthless symptom of their time. I was glad he subsequently disappeared.
When I saw this in the theater there was a group of women sitting in front of me. When the scalping scene happened one of them said What the fuck Carol, I thought this was supposed to be a romantic comedy. So I kinda enjoyed it more after that.

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2018 10:14 pm 

I managed to see it in theaters as a little kid (my mother had no sense of censorship) and probably because of that I remember it somewhat fondly though at the time I felt it was only okay which my adult LaBute experiences suggest is probably right.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:05 pm 

So I, uh, really like Nurse Betty, which I think is the first LaBute film that he didn't actually write. Admittedly I first saw it as a teenager but it held up for me as a cynical, weird black comedy when I watched it again several years ago. If nothing else it's worth a look for providing the then-rare opportunity for Chris Rock to really act. I do concede that the scalping is totally unnecessary though.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:20 pm 
Dot Com Dom

I like Nurse Betty too. There are several of us!

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:31 pm 

dustybooks wrote:
So I, uh, really like Nurse Betty, which I think is the first LaBute film that he didn't actually write. Admittedly I first saw it as a teenager but it held up for me as a cynical, weird black comedy when I watched it again several years ago. If nothing else it's worth a look for providing the then-rare opportunity for Chris Rock to really act. I do concede that the scalping is totally unnecessary though.

Didn't the story call for something sufficiently traumatic to throw Betty into a fugue state?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:37 pm 

Yes.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:54 pm 

I barely remember Nurse Betty, I saw it at home and it didn’t make much of an impression on me. I loathed Your Friends and Neighbors. It’s one of those films I went to see at the cinema where I would have left, had I not gone with a friend.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:34 pm 
Site Admin

domino harvey wrote:
I like Nurse Betty too. There are several of us!
There are dozens of us! Dozens!

This movie actually came up at work a couple weeks ago, though I don't recall how it came about. Oddly the coworker liked it, which threw me. I said I likerd it to an extent but it was one of those that I still would never recommend to anyone.

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 3:19 pm 

I saw it in the theater having liked Labute’s first two. For whatever reason, I haven’t seen anything by him since. I remember loving this movie, particularly the relationship between Freeman and Rock. Nurse Betty had a lot warmth and heart. Also, this was Zwellwegger when she could seemingly do no wrong - appearing in crowd pleasers and more thought provoking films, like this and White Oleander.

Morbii, your thoughts?

PostPosted: Mon Feb 19, 2018 11:04 pm 

bearcuborg wrote:
Morbii, your thoughts?

I haven’t watched it yet, but I did order it, and it should be in my hands shortly!

PostPosted: Tue Feb 20, 2018 4:45 am 

Love, like or hate it; one thing you cannot deny is Jean-Yves Escoffier's cinematography, which is stunning. Still waiting on the blu.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 5:25 am 

Bumstead wrote:
Love, like or hate it; one thing you cannot deny is Jean-Yves Escoffier's cinematography, which is stunning. Still waiting on the blu.

This film has (or had) a genuine shot at Blu-ray, thanks to Universal's continually esoteric catalogue selections, but any chance of a US release has probably been scuppered by the revelations about LaBute.

I don't really remember this film, but I know I saw it. I wonder why it didn't make more of an impact on me with its apparently graphic content. Perhaps a licensed release will appear from Fabulous Films in the UK or Capelight or Koch in Germany. I would buy it to watch it again, preferably with the US/German DVD extras ported over.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 12:20 pm 

Further discussion of LaBute's professional status with regard to the assumption that accusations against him are forthcoming (whew) has been moved here.

PostPosted: Wed Feb 21, 2018 2:20 pm 

McCrutchy wrote:
This film has (or had) a genuine shot at Blu-ray, thanks to Universal's continually esoteric catalogue selections, but any chance of a US release has probably been scuppered by the revelations about LaBute.

I don't really remember this film, but I know I saw it. I wonder why it didn't make more of an impact on me with its apparently graphic content. Perhaps a licensed release will appear from Fabulous Films in the UK or Capelight or Koch in Germany. I would buy it to watch it again, preferably with the US/German DVD extras ported over.

Thanks for the infos. I'll keep an eye out for the European blu's.