It is currently Sat Jul 22, 2017 2:38 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 4:11 pm 

I could not be happier about this, one of my most beloved books when I was a child, A Wrinkle in Time, is getting a film adaptation directed by Ava DuVernay, whose visual sensibility was the best thing about Selma

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:13 pm 

A Wrinkle in Time

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:35 pm 

The Narrator Returns wrote:

Looks like bdsweeney didn't have to wait long for another mournful cover version trailer.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 2:35 pm 

The Narrator Returns wrote:
I had hoped beyond hope that the trend of moody pop-song covers in teasers had died off, and yet here we are.

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2017 3:52 pm 
Dot Com Dom

This Trailer wrote:
Visionary Director Ava DuVernay
[citation needed]

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:10 am 

I want to meet the person who edited that trailer. Just grab a slice of pizza together, ask them why the fuck they did that, etc

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 4:29 am 

This looks more like a remake of the awful Disney TV movie than an adaptation of the book. Again they cast movie stars as the three Mrs Ws and they go for some garish version of glam rather than the three eccentric old women they are in the novel.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 12:22 pm 

Quote:
whose visual sensibility was the best thing about Selma

what visual sensibility? Selma seemed entirely pedestrian to me in its staging/camerawork/editing/etc. and her documentary was a downright mess.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:18 pm 

If you say so. I thought the scenes in the White House and the church bombing scene were visually arresting, and I haven’t seen the doc. Not sure what you’re expecting from a documentary from a visual perspective that it didn’t deliver.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:24 pm 

I also thought her handling of the murder of the pair about to leave was well done. I don't have much interest in this (Oprah as RuPaul is not what I want at the moment), but at worst her previous work is generically pleasant. I also recommend her lesbian film she made for Miu Miu.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:33 pm 

I appreciated how Selma placed MLK in the context of a movement made up of many activists from different walks of life—a necessary corrective to the Great Man version that's so easily co-opted by people across the political spectrum. But the key scenes felt like hieratic tableaux of Great Moments, aerated self-consciously with a few "found" gestures in unconvincing ways. Otherwise I think "generically pleasant" is about what I'd say.

In re. The 13th: a documentary is just as much a work of visual art as a fiction film, albeit usually in a different way. Much of DuVernany's doc was taken up with meme-style drop quotes in big bold letters floating across or bursting upon the screen, alternating with talking heads. It was like a tweetstorm brought to life, and not in a good way.

I also thought it was structurally a mess, doubling back around to certain points to no apparent purpose and skimming over other, even more important ones. There was lots of interesting stuff in it, as you would expect based on the topic and interview subjects. But the topic lent itself to telling a really compelling, even revelatory historical narrative, and I think she botched it. It made me appreciate what a feat of organization and storytelling a good documentary is.