Avatar and the Avatar Cadence (James Cameron, 2009-2028)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.

Big Ben

Re: Avatar and the Avatar Cadence (James Cameron, 2009-2025)

#477 Post by Big Ben » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:51 pm

“This could be the seeds of utter damnation and doom for the project, or it could be the thing that makes it stand apart and continue to be unique,”
It's interesting to see him acknowledge it could fail miserably but yet still think that people want five more after the first one. I mean as I recall the film wrapped up the story in a fairly complete fashion. I cannot fathom how he plans to expand this out. How many times can Pandora be invaded by humans?

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#478 Post by swo17 » Sun Apr 22, 2018 6:55 pm

I liked this link in the sidebar to an article just posted yesterday: "James Cameron Hopes for ‘Avengers’ Fatigue: ‘There Are Other Stories To Tell’ In Sci-Fi"

cantinflas

#479 Post by cantinflas » Mon Apr 23, 2018 1:50 am

Big Ben wrote:
“This could be the seeds of utter damnation and doom for the project, or it could be the thing that makes it stand apart and continue to be unique,”
It's interesting to see him acknowledge it could fail miserably but yet still think that people want five more after the first one. I mean as I recall the film wrapped up the story in a fairly complete fashion. I cannot fathom how he plans to expand this out. How many times can Pandora be invaded by humans?
At least one of them was initially announced as a prequel, so he could go in that direction as well. Being multigenerational provides lots of options.

Also, I'm pretty sure he's still only making four more films -- 2 and 3 are currently in production, then once he's finished post on those he'll shoot 4 and 5. "Five-film epic" is referring to the first movie plus the four new ones.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#481 Post by tenia » Tue May 07, 2019 2:18 pm

Unfortunately very predictable.

cantinflas

Re: Avatar and the Avatar Cadence (James Cameron, 2009-2028)

#483 Post by cantinflas » Thu Apr 28, 2022 2:53 am

Kracker

#484 Post by Kracker » Thu Apr 28, 2022 5:24 am

and thus we say goodbye, au revivor, and auf wiedersehen to le ol' papyrus font

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#485 Post by DarkImbecile » Mon May 09, 2022 11:08 am

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#486 Post by domino harvey » Mon May 09, 2022 11:46 am

Someone posted a fake version a few weeks ago made out of video game footage, and it didn’t look much worse than this. But this thread shows what the fuck I know, because I’m sure this Lisa Frank Holographic Trapper Keeper will break every box office record for some reason

Finch

#487 Post by Finch » Mon May 09, 2022 11:48 am

Yeah it's pretty depressing.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#488 Post by swo17 » Mon May 09, 2022 11:53 am

I'm mostly curious if these will make 3D popular enough again for 4K TVs to start supporting that technology

Mr Sausage

#489 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon May 09, 2022 1:56 pm

In fairness, the first Avatar didn't look that great unless you saw it in 3D, either. I'm not a fan of 3D, but I remember the experience of seeing Avatar theatrically in 3D being novel even if the movie itself was lame.

RIP Film

#490 Post by RIP Film » Mon May 09, 2022 5:46 pm

Maybe I’m misremembering but I thought the novelty of the 3D was basically why Avatar was such a success. In which case these sequels are doomed, cause it certainly wasn’t because the first was a good movie.

hearthesilence

#491 Post by hearthesilence » Mon May 09, 2022 6:07 pm

I couldn't have cared less about it, but I remember a lot of people were seriously over the moon about the movie itself. And it's not like the studios are going to go soft on shoving this down people's throats, especially with the money they've sunk into it. They're going to sell a ton of tickets, but whether they break records is another thing.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#492 Post by domino harvey » Mon May 09, 2022 6:10 pm

There were whole swaths of audience members who went back daily because they wished they lived in the world of the film. People are weird.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#493 Post by swo17 » Mon May 09, 2022 6:13 pm

If it weren't for Avatar, would Adieu au Langage exist?

Mr Sausage

#494 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon May 09, 2022 6:20 pm

Were people over the moon about the movie? My impression was that people were mainly impressed by the new techniques of modern 3D, and there was a subsection of fans who had become obsessed with the world of the film, helped along or created entirely by the immersive feeling of the 3D, but that by and large people were not enthusiastic about the story or characters. Hence Avatar stopped being part of the cultural conversation as soon as 3D became widely adopted in blockbuster filmmaking. People seem to love the Marvel movies as movies far more than they ever did Avatar. But I could be way off base there. It's only my impression.

hearthesilence

#495 Post by hearthesilence » Mon May 09, 2022 6:24 pm

swo17 wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 6:13 pm
If it weren't for Avatar, would Adieu au Langage exist?
Probably not. There are probably a lot of great works with limited commercial appeal that were primarily made in response to the way a broadly popular work shaped the culture. If said blockbuster did not exist, a vital reason for making those smaller films wouldn't exist either.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#496 Post by swo17 » Mon May 09, 2022 6:27 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 6:20 pm
Were people over the moon about the movie?
Read the YouTube comments. It's like the one place on the internet where everyone agrees about something (i.e. that Avatar is literal heaven)

hearthesilence

#497 Post by hearthesilence » Mon May 09, 2022 6:29 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:
Yes.

I only report what I see, and believe me, I didn't want to believe it when I asked such-and-such person and they would go on and on about how much they loved the "world" or the action or whatever. I guess you can find that for a lot of films - I knew one older gentlemen who saw Ever After with Drew Barrymore a dozen times in the theaters, and a relative saw Titantic in the theater twenty, TWENTY times - but there were definitely a lot of people I knew who were really into Avatar. FWIW, they were generally high school or college age, and they already loved sci-fi and comic books so it was right up their alley.

Mr Sausage

#498 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon May 09, 2022 6:37 pm

swo17 wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 6:27 pm
Mr Sausage wrote:
Read the YouTube comments. It's like the one place on the internet where everyone agrees about something (i.e. that Avatar is literal heaven)
This might be my confirmation bias, but even the comments give the impression of people being in love with experiencing that world more than caring about the movie as a movie.

--EDIT: Ok, apparently people are caught up by my opening sentence and ignoring the qualifiers in my post itself. I didn't mean that people weren't deeply into Avatar. My impression was that they loved it as an immersive experience, but that the plot, characters, and all the rest that make it a movie (as opposed to an audio-visual experience) weren't where the passion lay.

therewillbeblus

#499 Post by therewillbeblus » Mon May 09, 2022 6:41 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:
Were people over the moon about the movie? My impression was that people were mainly impressed by the new techniques of modern 3D, and there was a subsection of fans who had become obsessed with the world of the film, helped along or created entirely by the immersive feeling of the 3D, but that by and large people were not enthusiastic about the story or characters. Hence Avatar stopped being part of the cultural conversation almost immediately after 3D became more widely adopted in blockbuster filmmaking. People seem to love the Marvel movies as movies far more than they ever did Avatar. But I could be way off base there. It's only my impression.
I think that's mostly true, but in college I knew many, many people who would not step foot inside a theatre but went to see this film five-ten times in the cinema. I definitely believe it was the immersive experience that kept them coming back, but when I'd make snide remarks about the story/villain (ugh, that final battle), they would defend all elements with conviction. Years later, I still knew people talking about it, but yes, Marvel hijacked that crowd's attention by deviating it into multiple films per year, praying on a near-obsessive-compulsive investment. I don't often hear people talk about Avatar anymore, though that seems relevant to the context of Marvel et al

Mr Sausage

#500 Post by Mr Sausage » Mon May 09, 2022 6:53 pm

therewillbeblus wrote:
Mon May 09, 2022 6:41 pm
Mr Sausage wrote:
Were people over the moon about the movie? My impression was that people were mainly impressed by the new techniques of modern 3D, and there was a subsection of fans who had become obsessed with the world of the film, helped along or created entirely by the immersive feeling of the 3D, but that by and large people were not enthusiastic about the story or characters. Hence Avatar stopped being part of the cultural conversation almost immediately after 3D became more widely adopted in blockbuster filmmaking. People seem to love the Marvel movies as movies far more than they ever did Avatar. But I could be way off base there. It's only my impression.
I think that's mostly true, but in college I knew many, many people who would not step foot inside a theatre but went to see this film five-ten times in the cinema. I definitely believe it was the immersive experience that kept them coming back, but when I'd make snide remarks about the story/villain (ugh, that final battle), they would defend all elements with conviction. Years later, I still knew people talking about it, but yes, Marvel hijacked that crowd's attention by deviating it into multiple films per year, praying on a near-obsessive-compulsive investment. I don't often hear people talk about Avatar anymore, though that seems relevant to the context of Marvel et al
That's not so different from when people vociferously defend a friend or relative from criticism even if they themselves have complained about the very same things. It's likely that those same people who backed Avatar unconditionally to your face had voiced similar complaints to themselves privately. Defensiveness goes hand-in-hand with strong emotional attachments.

Speaking of which, looks who's defending his own forum comments like they weren't off-hand observations backed by no real information.