MK2

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Narshty

#76 Post by Narshty » Thu Feb 22, 2007 5:58 pm

They haven't ported over all the video supplements from the MK2 discs (generally just a trailer, the Serge Toubiana intro and the commentary) but all the extras are subtitled in English (including the commentaries).

ByMarkClark.com

#77 Post by ByMarkClark.com » Fri Feb 23, 2007 10:31 am

I'd love to read a report on that GORGEOUS KID disc, if anyone picked it up. Or on any of the other recent Truffauts.

salad

#78 Post by salad » Tue Feb 27, 2007 12:12 pm

ByMarkClark.com wrote:I'd love to read a report on that GORGEOUS KID disc, if anyone picked it up. Or on any of the other recent Truffauts.
I've briefly looked at it and I presume it is unfortunate that it is 4x3. Dunno if it is truly open matte, or if some shots required cropping. However, I suspect that is was not intended to be shown in cinemas at that ratio.

The color on the feature itself is much stronger and brilliant than the included vintage making-of piece (10 m.) and the short interview segment with Truffaut and Lafont (2 m.) discussing their reunion.

The title of the disk is Such A Gorgeous Girl Like Me. It's odd that the movie's title is translated at least three different ways: Girl, Bird, Kid. It is based on a novel with an English title, and that title is Kid.

ByMarkClark.com

#79 Post by ByMarkClark.com » Tue Feb 27, 2007 1:40 pm

Disappointing news on the aspect ratio.

Donald Brown

#80 Post by Donald Brown » Thu Mar 01, 2007 12:40 am

Rich Malloy wrote:Is Mk2's "Ivan's Childhood" still the best around, or is the (presumably less expensive) new Australian release match or exceed it?
Apparently, Criterion is finally going to release their edition soon..

Darth Lavender

#81 Post by Darth Lavender » Thu Mar 01, 2007 1:02 am

Judging from the screencaps in another thread, the new Australian release seems to be identical to the MK2.

There is a new Criterion version coming, but in all likelihood all they'll offer is an audio-commentary and a higher RRP.

I'm waiting, just to see what the Criterion's specifications will be, but that's just because I have such an awfully large 'unwatched' pile that I probably wouldn't find time to watch the Australian for several months, anyway.

Toxicologist

#82 Post by Toxicologist » Thu Mar 01, 2007 9:45 am

Darth Lavender wrote:There is a new Criterion version coming, but in all likelihood all they'll offer is an audio-commentary and a higher RRP.
You may be right...but rumours of Criterion having a longer?/alternative? cut have always been circulating?

Nihonophile

#83 Post by Nihonophile » Tue Apr 24, 2007 8:11 pm

Does anyone have the MK2 Flip the Frog or Comicolor sets? The Image release in region 1 is okay but it is not as complete and it's also a bit cropped. Can anyone recommend MK2's release? (screenshots if you have them too)

Rich Malloy

#84 Post by Rich Malloy » Thu Apr 26, 2007 5:32 pm

Toxicologist wrote:
Darth Lavender wrote:There is a new Criterion version coming, but in all likelihood all they'll offer is an audio-commentary and a higher RRP.
You may be right...but rumours of Criterion having a longer?/alternative? cut have always been circulating?
I'm nearly positive that this was claimed on one of those early Criterion pamphlets (you know, the full color ones before they went to the more basic ones and then merely a list of titles). I've got those saved, so I'll take a look. Hard to believe that something listed as "coming soon" in 1999 is finally coming out!

colinr0380

#85 Post by colinr0380 » Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:18 pm

I've just checked my booklet and it runs as follows:
New digital transfer of Tarkovsky's original cut, including graphic shots which were censored from U.S. releases
The running time in that old catalogue is quoted as 91 minutes.

Would it be correct to assume that many of the other releases in different regions since the 1999 catalogue have been of this same version?

ltfontaine

#86 Post by ltfontaine » Mon May 21, 2007 12:04 pm

Can anyone comment on the quality of MK2's Kinoshita discs, released earlier this year? This reviewhas vaguely encouraging things to say about the MK2 edition of Carmen Comes Home, but consumer information is otherwise scarce.

The competing, unrestored, cheaper Panorama DVD of Carmen Comes Home is of middling quality, with unstable colors, although it has the benefit of optional English titles, absent on the MK2. Someone in the U.S. or U.K. should properly restore both Carmen films (with Carmen's Pure Love) and release them as a very entertaining double-disc set.

Rsdio

#87 Post by Rsdio » Sun Jul 15, 2007 5:21 pm

Has anyone here got the Henri Cartier-Bresson double-disc set? I'll probably get it anyway, but I was curious as to whether it has English subs or not.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#88 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun Jul 15, 2007 10:40 pm

ltfontaine wrote:The competing, unrestored, cheaper Panorama DVD of Carmen Comes Home is of middling quality, with unstable colors, although it has the benefit of optional English titles, absent on the MK2. Someone in the U.S. or U.K. should properly restore both Carmen films (with Carmen's Pure Love) and release them as a very entertaining double-disc set.
I found the first Carmen film funny enough on the first viewing -- but a bit tedious on re-watching. I found the second one a bit annoying even on first watching -- too much visual gimmickry and not enough genuine imagination. Takamine, as always, is a treasure that almost redeems Kinoshita's films.

(Haven't seen the MK2 releases).

Macintosh

#89 Post by Macintosh » Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:46 am

Rsdio wrote:Has anyone here got the Henri Cartier-Bresson double-disc set? I'll probably get it anyway, but I was curious as to whether it has English subs or not.
wait, you mean to tell me there's another Bresson? :o :wink:

ltfontaine

#90 Post by ltfontaine » Mon Jul 16, 2007 1:22 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:I found the first Carmen film funny enough on the first viewing -- but a bit tedious on re-watching. I found the second one a bit annoying even on first watching -- too much visual gimmickry and not enough genuine imagination. Takamine, as always, is a treasure that almost redeems Kinoshita's films.
I agree that the first film is more engaging than the sequel, but find the first one, especially, most charming, along the lines of Hawks films like Ball of Fire or Gentlemen Prefer Blondes. It's a pleasure to see Japanese comedies from this period, all too rare on DVD, especially ones that are so pungently satirical of westernizing tensions in postwar Japan. And yes, Takamine is a firecracker in this film, most fetching and quite distinct in style from her more serious roles with which we are better acquainted in the West. In fact, apart from Hanging by a Thread (1957) and My Hobo (1963), I think the Carmen films are the only comedies of her career. (I don't count Tokyo Chorus, the tone of which doesn't strike me as comic, although it is sometimes described as such.)

gelich

#91 Post by gelich » Tue Nov 13, 2007 11:31 pm

Rsdio wrote:Has anyone here got the Henri Cartier-Bresson double-disc set? I'll probably get it anyway, but I was curious as to whether it has English subs or not.
I just received the set today. Spot checking several but not all of the films, there are a couple where the original language is English. The rest are in French with English subtitles. My initial impression is that this looks like a fascinating set.

Keaton

#92 Post by Keaton » Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:39 pm

Hi! Can someone enlighten me what films are in this Laurel and Hardy Collection? Thanks very much

Awesome Welles

#93 Post by Awesome Welles » Fri May 02, 2008 9:00 am

Does anyone have any info on MK2, i.e. who their licensing deals are with in the UK and their general business interests, basically anything that is not on their website.

Thanks!

foggy eyes

#94 Post by foggy eyes » Fri May 02, 2008 10:50 am

FSimeoni wrote:who their licensing deals are with in the UK
Arrow (Mon oncle d'Amérique), Soda Pictures (Hôtel du Nord) and Artificial Eye (loads) have released mk2 ports, and possibly Tartan. Would there be anyone else?

Awesome Welles

#95 Post by Awesome Welles » Fri May 02, 2008 11:35 am

The Chaplin boxset released through WB. I know about AE also, but thanks for the others. I was wondering whether they give anyone exclusivity; since the Chaplin box is old I thought it may have gone to AE afterwards though with the Arrow and Soda releases it looks like that isn't the case. Thanks for the info.

Landjorden

Re: MK2

#96 Post by Landjorden » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:43 am

Hi all, I´m thinking about getting the Von Stroheim coffret from amazon but I do not know french so I have a few questions. I was hoping, or rather assuming, that the original intertitles are still there and that the french subtitles are removable but what about the extra material, are there any english subtitles for them? Are there even any extras? :D I currently only own one Mk2 Release and thats Chaplins "The great dictator" and I´m very pleased with that one.

MichaelB

#97 Post by MichaelB » Mon Mar 21, 2011 12:57 pm

Google-translated review of the MK2 box. This seems to suggest that the films themselves are definitely English-friendly, but the description of the (extensive) extras isn't detailed enough to be sure.

Assuming the long documentary is the 1979 US/UK co-production The Man You Loved To Hate (a safe bet, as it was broadcast on British television in late December 1979, so it probably wouldn't have made its French debut until the 80s), it was certainly in English originally, and I'd assume a label as fastidious as MK2 would favour subtitles over a French voiceover, but I can't be certain.

Landjorden

#98 Post by Landjorden » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:12 pm

Thanks Michael. That seals the deal. I'll buy it just for the films and any extra I can understand will be a bonus :)

Jonathan S

#99 Post by Jonathan S » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:18 pm

The Stroheim box looks almost identical to the US Kino releases, including the shortening of the documentary for copyright reasons. (The uncut version, which I recorded off a Channel 4 broadcast in the 1980s, has clips from Greed and other films that are reduced to stills in Kino's version.)

MichaelB

#100 Post by MichaelB » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:21 pm

That explains the ten-minute discrepancy (80 mins in that review, 90 mins BBC2 broadcast slot), which is why I wasn't sure whether it was the same documentary.