446 An Autumn Afternoon

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
Jeff

446 An Autumn Afternoon

#1 Post by Jeff » Tue Jun 17, 2008 5:43 pm

An Autumn Afternoon

[img]http://criterion_production.s3.amazonaws.com/release_images/1771/446_auumnafternon_w100.jpg[/img]

Yasujiro Ozu's final film is also his final masterpiece, the gently heartbreaking story of a man's dignified resignation to both life's ever-shifting currents and society's gradual modernization. Though widower Shuhei Hirayama (Ozu's frequent leading man Chishu Ryu) has been living comfortably for years with his grown daughter, a series of events leads him to accept and encourage her marriage and departure. As elegantly composed and achingly tender as any of the Japanese master's films, An Autumn Afternoon (Sanma no aji) is one of cinema's fondest farewells.

Special Features

• New, restored high-definition digital transfer
• New audio commentary featuring David Bordwell, author of Ozu and the Poetics of Cinema
• Excerpts from "Yasujiro Ozu and the Taste of Sake," a 1978 French television program looking back on Ozu's career, featuring film critic Michel Ciment
• Theatrical trailer
• New and improved English subtitle translation
• PLUS: A booklet featuring new essays by film scholars Geoff Andrew and Donald Richie

Criterionforum.org user rating averages

Feature currently disabled

zedz

#2 Post by zedz » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:08 pm

Good news, but still no sign of the big Yoshida documentary? The Only Son, perhaps?

foggy eyes

#3 Post by foggy eyes » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:16 pm

New audio commentary featuring David Bordwell, author of Ozu and the Poetics of Cinema
Really excellent news - this is one commentary that I'll actually bother to listen to, and hopefully we'll see a few more now that he's retired from teaching.
Last edited by foggy eyes on Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ellipsis7

#4 Post by ellipsis7 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:17 pm

A Bordwell commentary -excellent!...

a.khan

Re: 446 An Autumn Afternoon

#5 Post by a.khan » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:24 pm

Yasujiro Ozu's final film is also his final masterpiece...
May be it's their way of telling us that this will be the final release from the Ozu imprint. (High five, Domino Harvey!)
Last edited by a.khan on Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tavernier

#6 Post by tavernier » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:27 pm

Wrong.

Tom Hagen

#7 Post by Tom Hagen » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:33 pm

We're not done yet. The vaults still runneth over with Ozu. I vote to release it all at once. Clear the decks in one giant Ozu bonanza month on both Eclipse and the main line. It will bring delight to all of the Ozu fans, and it will allow the rest of us to look foward to being surprised in the months ahead with releases from our favorite directors and/or left field gems.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#8 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 17, 2008 6:43 pm

lol at more Ozu

Saturnome

#9 Post by Saturnome » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:24 pm

Yay at more Ozu!

But please no Ozu month extravaganza ! I like eating.

psufootball07

#10 Post by psufootball07 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 7:26 pm

Cant wait for this one. They can possibly make many more Ozu films but I would bet they would be released in more Eclipse/Box sets down the line.

vivahawks

#11 Post by vivahawks » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:12 pm

Joy! The more R1 Ozu the better, and this is probably my favorite movie of all time, so this just made my week (and makes up for the Ophuls weirdness).

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#12 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:46 pm

This was, of course, not an "Ozu farewell" at all -- as he had no idea he would soon be stricken with cancer -- and the tone of the film is more thoroughly comic than most of his other late work.

There is no totally adequate version of this film yet. The Shochiku master source has real problems (especially in the first reel or so). To get this right, they will have to have made use of some alternative materials.

Keeping my fingers crossed.

souvenir

#13 Post by souvenir » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:16 pm

Michael Kerpan wrote:There is no totally adequate version of this film yet. The Shochiku master source has real problems (especially in the first reel or so). To get this right, they will have to have made use of some alternative materials.

Keeping my fingers crossed.
Not a definitive representation by any means, but just looking at the image Criterion used on their release page leads me to think this version will be from the same source materials. If the lower price holds, perhaps the relatively poor quality of the master was a factor.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#14 Post by Michael Kerpan » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:51 pm

The problem with the beginning of the Shochiku DVD (and all its progeny) is (rather weird) slipping and sliding and missing frames in (more or less) the first reel or so of the film. After this point, the DVD (and prints) looked pretty good overall.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#15 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:53 pm

domino harvey wrote:lol at more Ozu
Well, on the plus side, they have to be running out of films by now.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#16 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:58 pm

I guess they just needed to make September the "O" Month, and who better to finish off that bill?

I do think it's nice to see a film with a commentary getting a lower price point, hopefully it's not a mistake.

ptmd

#17 Post by ptmd » Tue Jun 17, 2008 11:25 pm

Well, on the plus side, they have to be running out of films by now.
Not even close, Janus still has a dozen or so additional Ozu films to release (since they own everything except the Munekata Sisters). The only other one likely to get an individual release, though, is The Only Son, so hopefully the rest will come out quickly in Eclipse box sets. Like Michael, I'm a bit worried that this won't look as good as it could given the Shochiku master. I guess we'll see and it's great that this coming out in R1 in any event.

sidehacker

#18 Post by sidehacker » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:12 am

domino harvey wrote:lol at more Ozu
I totally predicted this post. Sorry, it's just that Ozu is a very sensitive issue for me.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#19 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jun 18, 2008 12:33 am

I wasn't paying much attention but I thought I loved it when Criterion released Ozu films

mikeohhh

#20 Post by mikeohhh » Wed Jun 18, 2008 2:49 am

it's so funny how the dynamic has changed since I started reading this board almost 3 years ago. Back then, it was all "yeah yeah, when are we gonna get to the OZU??!!"

Now it's like "Ozu? Again?"

It's not the same people but still, I think it's kinda funny. This coming from a pretty big Ozu fan.

Darth Lavender

#21 Post by Darth Lavender » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:12 am

Anyone else notice the price on this one? :D

An audio-commentary with a "single disk" price ($29.95)

This just went from a "maybe get eventually, at a discount, if it never comes out on blu" to an absolute "pre-order, the moment DVDPacific has it listed"

Cinephrenic

#22 Post by Cinephrenic » Wed Jun 18, 2008 3:28 am

Don't worry, it should go back to $39.95 tomarrow. It might be their default.

Darth Lavender

#23 Post by Darth Lavender » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:18 am

I don't know; Criterion's been making some darn fine decisions lately. Blu-ray releases and what not.

I think this could be a legitimate and very excellent price we're seeing.

Tommaso

#24 Post by Tommaso » Wed Jun 18, 2008 6:22 am

domino harvey wrote:I guess they just needed to make September the "O" Month, and who better to finish off that bill?.
Oshima?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#25 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:44 am

mikeohhh wrote:it's so funny how the dynamic has changed since I started reading this board almost 3 years ago. Back then, it was all "yeah yeah, when are we gonna get to the OZU??!!"

Now it's like "Ozu? Again?"

It's not the same people but still, I think it's kinda funny. This coming from a pretty big Ozu fan.
There's just other filmmakers who are begging to have their stuff put out AT ALL, while Ozu has seemingly every other Eclipse set and a bunch of Criterions, there are now something like 13 of his films available from CC? Just too much too soon.