Festival Circuit 2009

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Antoine Doinel

Festival Circuit 2009

#1 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu Nov 20, 2008 9:28 am

Mary And Max, a claymation film voiced by Toni Collette and Philip Seymour Hoffman has been selected as the opening night film. The full slate of films will be announced on Dec. 3 and 4.

Tom Hagen

Re: 2009 Sundance Film Festival

#2 Post by Tom Hagen » Thu Nov 20, 2008 11:30 am

I purchased my locals pass last week; I am pretty anxious to hear what's in competition this year. I never go to Park City during the fest, but I will see a lot of festival screenings here in Salt Lake City. The festival is one of the great pleasures of living in Utah, and Redford et al do such a great job of rewarding the locals with great, inexpensive passes, free post-festival sceenings, and early purchase options.

Antoine Doinel

#3 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:32 pm

The Hollywood Reporter reports on the films that will be getting attention, and it looks like Michael Cera's "secret project" Paper Hearts is the "it" film this year.

Tom Hagen

#4 Post by Tom Hagen » Wed Dec 03, 2008 6:15 pm

The 2009 In Competition films are announced.

chaddoli

#5 Post by chaddoli » Mon Dec 08, 2008 5:54 pm

The rest of the features, including Premieres, Spectrum, New Frontiers and Park City at Midnight
http://festival.sundance.org/2009/press ... rum_new_f/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And the Short Film Program
http://festival.sundance.org/2009/press ... m_program/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am very proud to report that a short film I directed, "Asshole," starring Gavin McInnes, was selected for the Festival.
Asshole (Director: Chadd Harbold; Screenwriter: Bryan Gaynor)—Vincent Allen goes to the doctor for a diagnosis. The diagnosis: he’s an asshole.

Tom Hagen

#6 Post by Tom Hagen » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:20 pm

=D> I will look forward to seeing it!!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#7 Post by domino harvey » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:22 pm

That's quite an achievement, congratulations!

HerrSchreck

#8 Post by HerrSchreck » Mon Dec 08, 2008 6:48 pm

chaddoli wrote:The rest of the features, including Premieres, Spectrum, New Frontiers and Park City at Midnight
http://festival.sundance.org/2009/press ... rum_new_f/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And the Short Film Program
http://festival.sundance.org/2009/press ... m_program/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I am very proud to report that a short film I directed, "Asshole," starring Gavin McInnes, was selected for the Festival.
Asshole (Director: Chadd Harbold; Screenwriter: Bryan Gaynor)—Vincent Allen goes to the doctor for a diagnosis. The diagnosis: he’s an asshole.
Congratts Chadd-- I seem to remember watching this at LastPictures or your youtube channel when we were corresponding... but maybe you took it down because of Sundance?

Anyhow, best of luck to you.

knives

#9 Post by knives » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:35 pm

Congrats Chad, hope you make it bigger time. Curious what the forum feels of this though: http://www.nypost.com/seven/12052008/go ... 142689.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#10 Post by domino harvey » Mon Dec 08, 2008 7:38 pm

Boycotting a film festival because some religious leaders in the same state supported something objectionable was a pretty stupid idea

Tom Hagen

#11 Post by Tom Hagen » Mon Dec 08, 2008 8:09 pm

Even putting aside the fundamental illogic of any corresponding relationship between the Mormon Church's support of Prop. 8 and the Sundance Film Festival, one has to wonder if any of the people upset about all of this have even been to Utah or attended the festival. I mean, Jesus Christ, this is the festival that made queer cinema the new mainstream. And though I can't speak for Park City proper, SLC has a huge and culturally-thriving gay population. I will put this City's gay bona fides up against any other urban area in North America. And the gay community here - drawn largely from the gay children of Mormon families all throughout the interior west - has become mobilized to an incredible extent in the wake of the Prop. 8 fiasco and the Mormon Church's role in it. As a reasonably plugged-in straight ally, it has been really moving to see the renewed sense of activism and purpose that has come about in Utah. When out-of-state people propose ridiculous ideas like boycotting Utah's tourist industry, the gay rights movement here no longer becomes about friends, family, and neighbors, but rather about "radical" (insert your own right-wing pejorative here) gay interest groups from the East and Left Coasts. It becomes a major impediment for gays struggling to attain their own rights here. My gay friends have no reason whatsoever to not come to Utah or attend Sundance. If you can find someone to give you a two-minute crash course on the liquor laws, the gay nightlife is as good here as anywhere else in the country. The films and the skiing are pretty fucking great, too. And the best part: the wingnuts who gave money to Prop. 8 won't be anywhere near you unless you take a trip to visit Temple Square.

chaddoli

#12 Post by chaddoli » Fri Dec 12, 2008 3:10 pm

I promise not to take over this thread, but I wanted to post that the official site for my film "Asshole" is now live.

There you can see the trailer, a few more sketches we did with Gavin McInnes, and find out more info about us.

I'll try to keep any more posts about the film in the Our Films section, aside from maybe a recap of my experience at the festival.

Grand Illusion

#13 Post by Grand Illusion » Sat Dec 13, 2008 12:29 am

chaddoli wrote:I promise not to take over this thread, but I wanted to post that the official site for my film "Asshole" is now live.

There you can see the trailer, a few more sketches we did with Gavin McInnes, and find out more info about us.

I'll try to keep any more posts about the film in the Our Films section, aside from maybe a recap of my experience at the festival.
Congratulations! I certainly wouldn't be opposed to a separate Asshole (chaddoli, 2008) thread.

Jeff

#14 Post by Jeff » Mon Dec 29, 2008 11:12 pm

I didn't know where else to post this, but for those who aren't regular readers of Hollywood Elsewhere, I had to share the tale of The Emotionally Vivid Cowboy Hat. I guess it's not as funny if you aren't aware of how pompous Jeff Wells is. The comments in the follow-up story are the best part. There are references to the time he left his digital camera and iPhone on the table of a coffee shop in Toronto while he went to take a leak, and was shocked to find that someone had dared to take them while he was gone, and references to his story about engaging Phillip Seymour Hoffman at a party and referring to him as "Philly."

Part I:No Reservation

Part II: Couch Potato

Antoine Doinel

#15 Post by Antoine Doinel » Sun Jan 18, 2009 10:21 am

So the first acquisition of Sundance has been made, and it's Antoine Fuqua's Brooklyn's Finest. Of course, with any festival that supposedly supports independent, fresh filmmaking, there had to be this million dollar caveat:
“Yes, of course” the controversial ending will be cut, said Senator [Entertainment] president Mark Urman, who began pursuing the film shortly after its debut Friday night. “It’s apparently not even in the script, and I view the very ending as something that's not even in the movie.” Yet it wasn’t a deal-breaker in the negotiations, he said. “We didn’t go into [talks] with the sense of ‘Here’s what’s wrong.’”
So there you have it guys, if something is not in the script it's not in the movie! This guy should really be teaching film classes.

MichaelB

#16 Post by MichaelB » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:04 pm

I'm keeping a keen eye out for In The Loop, the big-screen directing debut of Armando Iannucci - who ranks very high amongst British television's most consistently creative and innovative comedy producers over the last 15-20 years,

As far as I can make out, it's a big-screen spin-off from The Thick Of It, Iannucci's deservedly acclaimed political sitcom (sample episode), in which Britain's Foreign Office tries to cope with a major international crisis. If precedent is anything to go by, it will be meticulously researched, scarily convincing and painfully funny - albeit possibly a struggle for non-Britons to get all the references, so it's intriguing that it's getting its world premiere outside the UK.

(Mind you, it depends on which precedent - British sitcoms have a dismal track record when it comes to transferring smoothly to the big screen, but the fact that exactly the same team is involved bodes reasonably well).

Tom Hagen

#17 Post by Tom Hagen » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:56 pm

An early highlight: the Animation Spotlight, especially Don Hertzfeldt's "I am So Proud of You," a small masterpiece that I can best describe as Peanuts by way of Don DeLillo and Kurt Vonnegut. Max and Mary was very heartfelt; and if this whole acting thing falls through for that Philip Seymour Hoffman guy, we can all rest comfortably knowing that he has a solid second career in voice acting.

I also caught Humpday yesterday. There some genuinely funny and insightful momenents, but the film goes off the rails in the final act when everyone involved (the dialogue was improvised and the film was shot in sequence) can't figure out how to end the movie.
Last edited by Tom Hagen on Tue Jan 20, 2009 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

AWA

#18 Post by AWA » Mon Jan 19, 2009 9:49 pm

I know it's in bad taste for some here, but I'd like to plug the Canadian film "Victoria Day", which is being produced by a friend of mine that is getting it's world premiere there. Canadian author David Bezmozgis writes and directs (his first feature length film) and it is produced by Michael McNamara. I hope they do well.

MichaelB

#19 Post by MichaelB » Wed Jan 21, 2009 10:56 am

It looks as though In the Loop has bucked the trend that dictates that British big-screen sitcom spinoffs are invariably terrible - it's had rave reviews on both sides of the Atlantic, even from people who haven't previously had the dubious pleasure of meeting Peter Capaldi's Malcolm Tucker.

Tom Hagen

#20 Post by Tom Hagen » Thu Jan 22, 2009 6:46 pm

Look for The Cove to clean up at the awards ceremony this weekend. What a great piece of investigative, educational documentary filmmaking. O'Hehir writes a solid review in Salon.

Nothing

#21 Post by Nothing » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:15 am

cry me a fuckin' dolphin :roll:

Antoine Doinel

#22 Post by Antoine Doinel » Fri Jan 23, 2009 8:20 am

Here's the red band trailer for the hyped Black Dynamite (NSFW).

Tom Hagen

#23 Post by Tom Hagen » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:40 pm

The Cove is anything but your standard environmental eye-roller. The level of government-supported and sponsored corporate malfeasance uncovered by the filmmakers is astounding.

The other big highlight of the doc competition also focuses on environmental activism: Crude, directed by Joe Berlinger of Paradise Lost and Metallica: Some Kind of Monster fame. This film examines an environmental catastrophe as a human rights issue played out through the courts and the media. Berlinger lets the participants speak for themselves, gives equal time to Chevron without editorializing, and has the good sense to trust his audience to discern the truth from the bullshit. This was a genuine labor of love -- I hope this film gets seen. If nothing else, Netflix is a partner on the production, which means people will eventually get to see this at home.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#24 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jan 24, 2009 3:22 am

MIchael Cera's secret film is apparently "the holocaust of twee"

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#25 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:38 am

-- The Sundance Film Festival's 2009 audience and jury awards, presented Saturday in Park City, Utah:

_ Grand jury, U.S. drama: "Push: Based on the novel by Sapphire"

_ Audience, U.S. drama: "Push: Based on the novel by Sapphire"

_ Grand jury, U.S. documentary: "We Live in Public"

_ Audience, U.S. documentary: "The Cove"

_ Grand jury, world cinema drama: "The Maid (La Nana)"

_ Audience, world cinema drama: "An Education"

_ Grand jury, world cinema documentary: "Rough Aunties"

_ Audience, world cinema documentary: "Afghan Star"

_ Waldo Salt screenwriting award: Nicholas Jasenovec and Charlyne Yi, "Paper Heart"

_ Directing, U.S. drama: Cary Joji Fukunaga, "Sin Nombre"

_ Directing, U.S. documentary: Natalia Almada, "El General"

_ Directing, world cinema drama: Oliver Hirschbiegel, "Five Minutes of Heaven"

_ Directing, world cinema documentary: Havana Marking, "Afghan Star"

_ Screenwriting, world cinema drama: Guy Hibbert, "Five Minutes of Heaven"

_ Editing, U.S. documentary: Karen Schmeer, "Sergio"

_ Editing, world cinema documentary: Janus Billeskov Jansen and Thomas Papapetros, "Burma VJ"

_ Cinematography, U.S. drama: Adriano Goldman, "Sin Nombre"

_ Cinematography, U.S. documentary: Bob Richman, "The September Issue"

_ Cinematography, world cinema drama: John De Borman, "An Education"

_ Cinematography, world cinema documentary: John Maringouin, "Big River Man"

_ Special jury prize for originality, world cinema drama: "Louise-Michel," directed by Benoit Delepine and Gustave de Kervern

_ Special jury prize, world cinema documentary: "Tibet in Song," Ngawang Choephel, director

_ Special jury prize for acting, world cinema: Catalina Saavedra, "The Maid (La Nana)"

_ Special jury prize, U.S. documentary: "Good Hair," Jeff Stilson, director

_ Special jury prize for spirit of independence: "Humpday"

_ Special jury prize for acting: Mo'Nique, "Push: Based on the novel by Sapphire"

_ Jury prize, U.S. short filmmaking: "Short Term 12," Destin Daniel Cretton, director

_ Jury prize, international short filmmaking: "Lies," Jonas Odell, director

_ Alfred P. Sloan prize: "Adam," Max Mayer, director