Fantoma

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Matt

#126 Post by Matt » Fri Aug 17, 2007 5:14 pm

mogwai wrote:Trailer for Kennenth Anger: Volume 2.
Scorpio Rising looks great. Looks like they couldn't do anything about the jitter in Kustom Kar Kommandos, though.

Lino

#127 Post by Lino » Sun Aug 19, 2007 4:29 am

mogwai wrote:Trailer for Kennenth Anger: Volume 2.
HOLY FUCK! :shock:

Person

#128 Post by Person » Sun Aug 19, 2007 12:30 pm

Wow, that montage is amazing. Fantoma should put it on the DVD.

criterionsnob

#129 Post by criterionsnob » Mon Aug 27, 2007 11:10 pm

Amazon pre-order for Kenneth Anger, Vol. 2.

Features:

High-definition transfers from newly restored elements
Screen specific audio commentary by Kenneth Anger
Anger's 2002 film THE MAN WE WANT TO HANG
Restoration Demonstrations
Restored stereo soundtrack for LUCIFER RISING, re-mastered from the original session tapes
Additional audio track for INVOCATION OF MY DEMON BROTHER
A 48 page book with written appreciations of Kenneth Anger by Martin Scorsese, Gus Van Sant, and Guy Maddin, written introduction to LUCIFER RISING by Bobby BeauSoleil, extensive notes for each film, rare photos, and more.

Person

#130 Post by Person » Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:55 pm

criterionsnob wrote:Restored stereo soundtrack for LUCIFER RISING, re-mastered from the original session tapes
Oooh-hoo-haaa-hah! You beauty! =D>

Toxicologist

#131 Post by Toxicologist » Sun Sep 23, 2007 3:17 pm

Cronenfly

#132 Post by Cronenfly » Sun Sep 23, 2007 8:50 pm

Can't wait. Not so much taken in some ways with Vol. 1, but Vol. 2 looks awesome.

Hashi

#133 Post by Hashi » Tue Sep 25, 2007 2:07 am

Excellent - just received shipping confirmation from DVDPacific. No more delays, it really is happening =D>

criterionsnob

#134 Post by criterionsnob » Sat Sep 29, 2007 11:23 pm

denti alligator

#135 Post by denti alligator » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:12 am

Got mine today. KKK is indeed marred by jutter. But, to be fair, they did try (and indeed succeeded somewhat) to get rid of a lot of it. That is to say, before the resto it looked even worse! Watch the resto demo.

If I remeber correctly, the version screened (with Anger in attendance) at Lincoln Center last year had the same jutter.

Cold Bishop

#136 Post by Cold Bishop » Thu Oct 04, 2007 12:53 am

Errrrrrgh... DVD Planet is awaiting stock.... has this ever happened for a pre-order to anyone there?

the dancing kid

#137 Post by the dancing kid » Tue Oct 16, 2007 2:41 pm

My copy of Anger Volume II finally arrived yesterday. Apparently some places had trouble getting this in stock in time for the original release date. What's one more week after years of delays though?

From what I've seen it's another fine release from Fantoma, although Scorpio Rising strikes me as unusually bright. I've seen it many times before (including 16mm projections) and it's never looked as bright as it does on the DVD. Not that I want to complain, as it's a miracle to finally have this film in such wonderful condition, but I'm wondering what the story is with that. Parts of the film look substantially different because of this; some of it for the better (such as the scenes near the end where some of the action takes place in near darkness) and some of it for the worse (the roll-bars on the TV showing of The Wild One are less visible).

Overall I'm very pleased with this release though. I have yet to check out any of the special features, but I'm really interested in the films anyway, so even if they're junk it will still be a worthwhile purchase for me.

mrannouncer

#138 Post by mrannouncer » Thu Nov 08, 2007 11:04 pm

Fantoma's front page bears the following announcement:

"Our Coffin Joe titles will be going out of print on January 21, 2008. So be sure to snap them up online or when you see them on store shelves."

Makes me tempted to buy back that copy of "Awakening of the Beast" I sold off online months ago... But I'll probably content myself with the other two titles, which I vastly prefer. For those who don't have any, I highly recommend the coffin-shaped box set (which looks great next to that Misfits CD collection)!

What A Disgrace

#139 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:45 pm

Good God. Where have Rabbit's Moon and Scorpio Rising been all my life?

Alain3000

#140 Post by Alain3000 » Mon Dec 17, 2007 8:40 pm

I am curious to see after Dead Pigeon, what other films Fantoma has plans to release on dvd.

Fan-of-Kurosawa

#141 Post by Fan-of-Kurosawa » Tue Apr 08, 2008 5:42 am

I saw yesterday Masumura's Red Angel. What a magnificent film!

And this being my first Fantoma disc I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised by how good is the disc. I didn't expect such a good transfer of an old film from such a small company. I had read the comparison between this disc and the R2 Yume one on Dvdbeaver but still I didn't expect that it would be this good.

tryavna

#142 Post by tryavna » Tue Apr 08, 2008 7:50 pm

Fan-of-Kurosawa wrote:And this being my first Fantoma disc I have to admit I was pleasantly surprised by how good is the disc. I didn't expect such a good transfer of an old film from such a small company.
Fantoma's releases seem to be superb across the board. Their release of Fritz Lang's Indian Epic is one of the finest Technicolor DVDs released by any company, as many folks here have noted repeatedly. In fact, I just wish that they could/would step up their output -- without sacrificing quality, of course.

zedz

#143 Post by zedz » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:18 am

tryavna wrote:Fantoma's releases seem to be superb across the board. Their release of Fritz Lang's Indian Epic is one of the finest Technicolor DVDs released by any company, as many folks here have noted repeatedly.
I tentatively agree (some of their older titles are less impressive). The wonderful Kenneth Anger sets are also exemplary.

Bete_Noire

Re: Fantoma

#144 Post by Bete_Noire » Sat Nov 08, 2008 12:09 pm

Okay, did the Kenneth Anger Volume 1 set go out-of-print? All the e-retailers I checked list it as sold out, Amazon doesn't list any further shipments coming soon, and Kim's in NY had no more copies either.

Also, is Sam Fuller's Dead Pigeon on Beethoven Street still scheduled for release?

HerrSchreck

#145 Post by HerrSchreck » Sat Nov 08, 2008 1:22 pm

That klanking sound is me loading a revolver. I held off like an idiot on the Anger sets. There was always something that took priority... christ that would rot if they're oop.

Gregory

#146 Post by Gregory » Sat Nov 08, 2008 4:45 pm

A few ideas:
MoviesUnlimited seems to have Vol. 1 in stock ($23.74)
ForcedExposure.com has Vol. 1 for $20 plus shipping.
Half.com has a decent price on Vol 2 as I write this, though it seems like they're going fast based on the discrepancy in price shown on the search result in their system and what shows up when you actually view the pages for both volumes.
I have had good experiences ordering from all of the above.
A few other possibilities: Vol. 1, Vol. 2, Vol. 2 on eBay, the seller has more than 10 of Vol. 2 available for "buy it now," ~$22 shipped.
There are a lot of other results on eBay for both volumes, around $20-28.
I wouldn't panic just yet.

Gregory

#147 Post by Gregory » Mon Nov 10, 2008 10:11 pm

For anyone still looking to get the second Kenneth Anger set, it appears to be back in stock at DeepDiscount. I don't know whether it's going out of print or not, but people should snatch these up as quickly as possible anyway just on the strength of the films.

Via_Chicago

#148 Post by Via_Chicago » Tue Nov 11, 2008 12:27 am

Gregory wrote:For anyone still looking to get the second Kenneth Anger set, it appears to be back in stock at DeepDiscount. I don't know whether it's going out of print or not, but people should snatch these up as quickly as possible anyway just on the strength of the films.
Sweet. Thanks for the update. I ordered this a couple of days ago and it was listed as out of stock, so this is wonderful news.

Person

#149 Post by Person » Tue Nov 11, 2008 9:02 am

I reckon that the Anger DVDs won't be in print for years and years. Get them now, even if you are merely slightly interested in them - and hold on to them. If they are not your cup of tea, Ebay them after they go OOP. Fantoma need the sales, also.

teddyleevin

#150 Post by teddyleevin » Thu Dec 04, 2008 7:16 pm

Has anyone got any definitive info on the reason for the discontinuing?