The Limits of Control

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

Antoine Doinel

The Limits of Control

#1 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:55 pm

When it comes to American independent cinema, there’s no one quite like Jim Jarmusch, the celebrated auteur behind such classics as Stranger Than Paradise and Only Lovers Left Alive. Eschewing his usual American landscapes in favour of a variety of locations throughout urban and rural Spain, his 2009 anti-thriller The Limits of Control remains one of his most alluring and multi-layered creations.

An enigmatic loner (Isaach de Bankolé, Black Panther, Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai) arrives in Spain, instructed to make contact with a series of strangers in different locations throughout the country, each of whom provides a cryptic clue which propels him further towards his mysterious goal. But who is the Lone Man? Why is he here? And how does the recurring figure of an alluring femme fatale (Paz de la Huerta, Enter the Void) fit into the puzzle?

Boasting stunning cinematography by the award-winning Christopher Doyle (In the Mood for Love) and featuring cameos from an array of celebrated character actors, including Tilda Swinton (The Grand Budapest Hotel), Gael García Bernal (Y Tu Mamá También) and the late John Hurt (Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy), The Limits of Control is a languid, hauntingly beautiful film that combines the best of American and European arthouse sensibilities.

SPECIAL EDITION CONTENTS
  • High Definition Blu-ray™ (1080p) presentation
  • Original lossless DTS-HD Master Audio 5.1 and PCM 2.0 stereo soundtracks
  • Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
  • An American in Europe, a new video interview with Geoff Andrew, author of Stranger Than Paradise: Maverick Film-Makers in Recent American Cinema
  • The Rituals of Control, a new video essay on the film by author and critic Amy Simmons
  • Behind Jim Jarmusch, an archival documentary on the making of the film
  • Untitled Landscapes, an archival featurette showcasing the film’s locations
  • Theatrical trailer
  • Reversible sleeve featuring two choices of artwork

What A Disgrace

#2 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:00 pm

Antoine Doinel wrote:
Wed Oct 31, 2007 11:55 pm
Focus Features has announced they have acquired the worldwide rights to Jarmusch's next film. Christopher Doyle (!) will be handling the cinematography duty. Shooting starts in Spain in February.
Oh, God, yes.

miless

#3 Post by miless » Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:05 pm

what ever happened to that film he was going to make for some french museum (the same one that produced Hou's latest effort)?

flyonthewall2983

#4 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Wed Feb 13, 2008 4:13 pm

Jarmusch and Murray reunite for road thriller
BERLIN (Hollywood Reporter) - Writer/director Jim Jarmusch has enlisted past collaborators Bill Murray and Tilda Swinton along with Mexican actor Gael Garcia Bernal for his upcoming thriller "The Limits of Control."

The road movie centers on a mysterious loner who attempts to complete a criminal job. The film will shoot this month on location in the Spanish cities of Madrid, Seville and Almeria. It will be distributed in the U.S. by Focus Features.

"Control" marks the third teaming between Jarmusch and Murray after "Coffee and Cigarettes" and the art-house hit "Broken Flowers." Swinton also appeared in "Broken Flowers" along with Sharon Stone, Jessica Lange, Chloe Sevigny and Julie Delpy.

Saarijas

#5 Post by Saarijas » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:23 pm

Am I the only one who loves Gael Garcia Bernal?

I have been really excited over all the roles he's been involved in lately - he's been working with some topnotch directors.

miless

#6 Post by miless » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:26 pm

so much for Bill Murray's "retirement" (or did he just mean that he's retired from starring in Wes Anderson's films?)

I, too, enjoy Gael Garcia Bernal. He plays a great wide-eyed naive kid.

Via_Chicago

#7 Post by Via_Chicago » Wed Feb 13, 2008 6:46 pm

"The road movie centers on a mysterious loner who attempts to complete a criminal job."

Sounds like another reimagining of Melville's Le Samourai.

zombeaner

#8 Post by zombeaner » Wed Feb 13, 2008 10:46 pm

I am also a Garcia Bernal fan.

Fletch F. Fletch

#9 Post by Fletch F. Fletch » Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:30 am

More casting news:
Jim Jarmusch tests 'Limits of Control'
Murray, Swinton, Bernal join cast of Focus film
By WINTER MILLER. Variety

With lensing under way in Madrid on Jim Jarmusch's tentatively titled "Limits of Control," the production has added more thesps to round out the cast.

Joining leads Isaach De Bankole, Bill Murray, Tilda Swinton and Gael Garcia Bernal are Hiam Abbass, Paz de la Huerta, Alex Descas, John Hurt, Youki Kudoh of Jarmusch's "Mystery Train," Jean-Francois Stevenin and Luis Tosar.

Plot revolves around a loner whose activities remain meticulously outside the law, completing a job in contempo Spain.

Pic is second matchup between writer-director and Focus, which has worldwide rights. Longtime Jarmusch collaborator Stacey Smith will produce with Gretchen McGowan ("Coffee and Cigarettes") and exec producer Jon Kilik ("Babel").

sonicstooge

#11 Post by sonicstooge » Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:12 pm

chaddoli

Re: The Limits Of Control (Jim Jarmusch, 2008)

#12 Post by chaddoli » Tue Jan 13, 2009 5:31 pm

According to inidieWIRE, the film opens May 22nd.

Ovader

#13 Post by Ovader » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:40 pm

From the Film In Focus blog The Limits of Control will be released in exclusive engagements on May 22nd but there is no announcement of a date for wide release.

Antoine Doinel

#14 Post by Antoine Doinel » Tue Jan 13, 2009 8:53 pm

A wider release will probably depend on how well the limited engagements go.

AWA

#15 Post by AWA » Wed Jan 14, 2009 1:52 am

I am really looking forward to this - figured it would get a spring release as they try to match the success of Broken Flowers.

Antoine Doinel

#16 Post by Antoine Doinel » Tue Feb 17, 2009 7:01 pm

Gallery of some pretty nifty stills from the film.

AWA

Re: The Limits Of Control (Jim Jarmusch, 2009)

#17 Post by AWA » Wed Feb 18, 2009 12:37 pm

Those stills confirm my enthusiasm for a Jarmusch film with Doyle behind the camera. They look great, like photographs you'd see in an art gallery for Martin Pare or something.

May can't come soon enough!

Anhedionisiac
the Displeasure Principle

#18 Post by Anhedionisiac » Wed Feb 18, 2009 1:38 pm

Last night, I actually dreamt I saw this movie. Weirdly enough, it turned out to be a children's movie.
Which probably has a lot to do with the outlandish costumes.

Murdoch

#19 Post by Murdoch » Thu Mar 05, 2009 1:40 pm

flyonthewall2983

Re: The Limits of Control (Jim Jarmusch, 2009)

#20 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 3:49 pm

Very intriguing.

LQ

#21 Post by LQ » Thu Mar 05, 2009 4:00 pm

Very intriguing, indeed! I've seen very little of him, but there's something so magnetic about Isaach de Bankolé.

Antoine Doinel

#22 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu Mar 05, 2009 5:04 pm

Le Samourai seems to be a big influence on this one. Looks fantastic, and Doyle's hand is clearly felt even in that brief trailer.

Finch

#23 Post by Finch » Thu Mar 05, 2009 6:26 pm

I'll be there. No matter how outwardly mainstream some of his films (Broken Flowers especially which I loved) seemed to be, they were still uniquely and unmistakably Jarmusch's work. Very pleased to see him working with Chris Doyle at long last - this looks exquisite. And I nearly did a double take when the credits revealed Tilda Swinton - I didn't recognise her at all.

Mann, Malick and Jarmusch - 2009's shaping up very nicely.

Cde.

#24 Post by Cde. » Thu Mar 05, 2009 7:23 pm

Yes, this looks great. Jarmusch must really love Le Samouraï though, given that this looks to be his second work inspired by that film.

It's impossible to know what sort of tone it's really going to strike through that trailer.

AWA

#25 Post by AWA » Fri Mar 06, 2009 1:17 am

This does look great - and yes, very Le Samourai-esque yet again. He has mentioned several times that he regards that film quite highly as an influence. But the combination of Jarmusch's deadpan pacing and Doyle's cinematography looks to be remarkable. I was really excited before as a fan of Jim's work, but now I'm super excited.