David Wain & Other Alums of The State

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#26 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 07, 2008 2:55 pm

Trailer for David Wain's new film, Role Models

The coffee line was pretty good and you can spot at least four Stella-crew regulars in the trailer

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#27 Post by mfunk9786 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:14 pm

Wow domino, as a Stella fan, I'm surprised you didn't enjoy The Ten. Just thinking about "The Goof" makes me laugh.

Cold Bishop

#28 Post by Cold Bishop » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:29 pm

Wait... Role Models is a David Wain film? Here's hoping that the trailer is unrepresentative of the final film.

Antoine Doinel

#29 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:47 pm

Interesting to note that Paul Rudd has a writing credit on this which can only be a good thing. I also can be partial to Seann William Scott and might as well just mention that I am big fan of Dude Where's My Car (I guess that will put that comment in perspective) and the rest of the cast looks fun (Jane Lynch, McLovin', Elizabeth Banks - it's practically a 40 Year Old Virgin reunion). And mods, maybe we get a new thread for this film?
Last edited by Antoine Doinel on Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#30 Post by domino harvey » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:48 pm

Or just turn this into a David Wain or Stella Alumnus thread

Andrew_VB

#31 Post by Andrew_VB » Thu Aug 07, 2008 11:55 pm

the ten was great. the middle ones, if i remember right, fell off, and the paul rudd thing "tying them together" wasn't too good, but the first 3 shorts were incredible.

and i'm excited for role models. though i love most things stella-related do.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#32 Post by domino harvey » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:39 pm

Red band trailer for Role Models. Rudd and Scott's timing looks really good

Antoine Doinel

#33 Post by Antoine Doinel » Tue Sep 16, 2008 9:12 pm

Looks like a lot of fun (though I hope they keep the inspirational crap to a minimum).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: The Ten (David Wain, 2007)

#34 Post by domino harvey » Sun Nov 09, 2008 10:35 pm

Wow, Role Models made over $19 million this weekend, which is more than the Kevin Smith movie debuted with last week! This is excellent news for Wain, hopefully it means he'll be able to make movies a little more easily now

hot_locket

#35 Post by hot_locket » Mon Nov 10, 2008 2:49 am

Classic case of guy on the ground.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#36 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:17 pm

Everyone -- go see Role Models.

A.D. Miles and Jane Lynch pick the film up and run away with it whenever they're on the screen, and there is a moment involving Ken Marino and a dining room chair that makes me laugh just thinking about it. A terrific meld of the State style of comedy, and something more mainstream. Terrific comedy, and if not for Pineapple Express, easily the best [comedy] of the year.

GoldenPilgrim

#37 Post by GoldenPilgrim » Mon Nov 10, 2008 12:42 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:Everyone -- go see Role Models.

A.D. Miles and Jane Lynch pick the film up and run away with it whenever they're on the screen, and there is a moment involving Ken Marino and a dining room chair that makes me laugh just thinking about it. A terrific meld of the State style of comedy, and something more mainstream. Terrific comedy, and if not for Pineapple Express, easily the best [comedy] of the year.
Yes! It felt like half a David Wain film (Jane Lynch, A.D. Miles, Jo Lo Truglio, and Ken Marino) and half something pretty awful. It was better than expected, but I was either sitting there rolling my eyes or screaming with laughter - no middle ground. The chair scene in question was one of those moments of laughter, along with David Wain's onscreen moment, and the line about Nuns for Halloween.
No doubt about it though, Jane Lynch really carries the film.
I didn't love it, but I really want to watch it a few more times. It will grow on me.

Here's to hoping he has proved himself to the studio.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#38 Post by domino harvey » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:52 am

Showalter and Black's new show got picked up by Comedy Central for the summer =D>

Steven H

#39 Post by Steven H » Sat Jan 24, 2009 1:45 pm

domino harvey wrote:Showalter and Black's new show got picked up by Comedy Central for the summer =D>
Great news! Even if it only lasts one season like Stella did.

Antoine Doinel

#41 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Feb 04, 2009 9:34 am

Interview with David Wain at the AV Club. Apparently, a DVD set of The State is mastered, with commentaries and extras ready to go, but the studio isn't in any particular hurry to release this.

cinemartin

Re: David Wain

#42 Post by cinemartin » Wed Feb 04, 2009 10:35 am

That dvd has been done and ready to go for at least 2 years. I remember my friend telling me a funny story about Michael Ian Black recording the commentary, and that seems like ages ago. But a friend of mine said that the people in charge didn't really know what The State was (apparently just after the DVDs completion, the company went through some changes internally and lost some of the key people working on it) but have since been informed. Apparently it is back on schedule, but as Wain said in that interview, you can't say for sure until the thing hits stores.

Antoine Doinel

#43 Post by Antoine Doinel » Thu Feb 12, 2009 4:51 pm

A parody of the NY Times Weekender ad written and directed by Michael Showalter, starring Paul Rudd and Michael Ian Black.

Antoine Doinel

#44 Post by Antoine Doinel » Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:28 pm

David Wain is contemplating the idea of a Role Models sequel or directing Ben Stiller in yet another Fockers movie.

hot_locket

#45 Post by hot_locket » Tue Mar 10, 2009 9:37 pm

“Like taking the whole LAIRE universe”—Augie’s role-playing game—“and seeing those people’s lives. We had a lot of fun thinking about what these people’s day jobs were. Like the king of LAIRE is a data processing clerk by day and people dump on him all day. A lot of these memorable characters in the movie you only saw for a few moments—it would be fun to see more.”
That's actually a lot more interesting than Doinel's post suggests. The LAIRE characters were definitely underdeveloped, and I wouldn't mind seeing more. Definitely a lot more potential there than just an obvious sequel following the leads of the first movie.

As for the Fockers...
“The phone has definitely been ringing,” Wain said. “But I’m definitely not interested in changing who I am or the kinds of things I do. I’m being very careful about what I do next.”
At least Wain gives us this reassurance. Unless Stiller let him weird-ify the t(l)ame series, such a project would be a huge waste of his time.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#46 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:59 pm

The State complete series is finally coming out on July 14 according to Joe Lo Truglio

Antoine Doinel

#47 Post by Antoine Doinel » Mon Apr 20, 2009 7:25 am

Here's the artwork and specs for The State.

Antoine Doinel

#48 Post by Antoine Doinel » Wed Apr 22, 2009 10:55 am

Trailer for the DVD release of The State.

RagingNoodles

#49 Post by RagingNoodles » Fri May 08, 2009 3:48 am

The new episode of David Wain's web series Wainy Days.

Zumpano

#50 Post by Zumpano » Mon May 25, 2009 5:52 pm

I noticed you can rent/buy 5 episodes of "The State: Season One" on The Playstation Store.

Here's to hoping that CBS special sees the light of day. :-&