'Forthcoming' Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.2

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Cinephrenic

Re: 'Forthcoming' Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.2

#1851 Post by Cinephrenic » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:48 am

Ashirg wrote:So what's the first Eclipse set that will get a Blu-ray treatment? Discuss.
None. They didn't even get the Criterion treatment.

arsonfilms

#1852 Post by arsonfilms » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:03 am

Blu-ray.com is reporting that Image just picked up the Handmade Films library. Could this put How to Get Ahead in Advertising back in print?

ShellOilJunior

#1853 Post by ShellOilJunior » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:32 am

Good show. EM and Close-up are available on both formats. The consumer gets to pick and everyone is happy 8-)

fdm

#1854 Post by fdm » Wed Mar 17, 2010 9:44 am

Now if we could just get them to release The Fugitive Kind on blu-ray...

ianungstad

#1855 Post by ianungstad » Wed Mar 17, 2010 12:35 pm

arsonfilms wrote:Blu-ray.com is reporting that Image just picked up the Handmade Films library. Could this put How to Get Ahead in Advertising back in print?
Seems highly likely to me. Should also give Criterion the opportunity to remaster the in print titles originating from Handmade, as they are all subpar.

Flike

#1856 Post by Flike » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:17 pm

Have there been any updates about the relationship between the WCF and Criterion? I know A Brighter Summer Day has been entangled in rights nonsense, but I also thought Criterion was supposed to release Housemaid.

captveg

#1857 Post by captveg » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:24 pm

ianungstad wrote:
arsonfilms wrote:Blu-ray.com is reporting that Image just picked up the Handmade Films library. Could this put How to Get Ahead in Advertising back in print?
Seems highly likely to me. Should also give Criterion the opportunity to remaster the in print titles originating from Handmade, as they are all subpar.
The DVD may indeed go back into print, but this announcement seems to indicate that future Blu-ray releases will come from Image directly. Unless I'm reading this wrong...

Matt

#1858 Post by Matt » Wed Mar 17, 2010 2:38 pm

captveg wrote:The DVD may indeed go back into print, but this announcement seems to indicate that future Blu-ray releases will come from Image directly. Unless I'm reading this wrong...
Possibly, but don't forget about this precedent.

captveg

#1859 Post by captveg » Wed Mar 17, 2010 5:57 pm

Matt wrote:
captveg wrote:The DVD may indeed go back into print, but this announcement seems to indicate that future Blu-ray releases will come from Image directly. Unless I'm reading this wrong...
Possibly, but don't forget about this precedent.
True.

panicprevention

#1860 Post by panicprevention » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:42 pm

any chance that the Wim Wenders Road Trilogy will be a boxset or just individual releases? i'm hoping for the latter.

Jeff

#1861 Post by Jeff » Wed Mar 17, 2010 11:50 pm

panicprevention wrote:any chance that the Wim Wenders Road Trilogy will be a boxset or just individual releases? i'm hoping for the latter.
I don't think that there's any reason to believe that Criterion has anything beyond Alice in the Cities right now. I believe that guesses about the other two coming were due to some misinterpretations of Facebook comments that actually only referred to Alice.

zedz

#1862 Post by zedz » Thu Mar 18, 2010 2:50 pm

There's been a real proliferation of 'trilogies' lately. Where did this Wenders 'Road Trilogy' come from? And, more to the point, which of his many road movies are excluded from it (and why)?

Jeff

#1863 Post by Jeff » Thu Mar 18, 2010 5:56 pm

Wenders considers Alice in the Cities, The Wrong Move, and Kings of the Road to be his "Road Movie Trilogy." He refers to them as such on his official website, which you can see at the bottom of this page for Alice.

zedz

#1864 Post by zedz » Thu Mar 18, 2010 11:48 pm

I guess trilogies are a great marketing hook. It's a shame he couldn't have shoehorned Goalkeeper's Fear of the Penalty Kick in there as well so there was a greater incentive to get it released!

agnamaracs

#1865 Post by agnamaracs » Fri Mar 19, 2010 5:40 pm

ianungstad wrote:
Thinking about what happens with Life of Brian makes my bwaaain huurt.
Jeff wrote:I don't think that there's any reason to believe that Criterion has anything beyond Alice in the Cities right now. I believe that guesses about the other two coming were due to some misinterpretations of Facebook comments that actually only referred to Alice.
I definitely asked about the whole trilogy, and I received the cryptic response of "no fun trying to keep secrets from you people." I know what I meant, but I'm still not sure what they meant.

In other news, the Forthcoming List only lists an SD release of House-oo. Not making this one Blu would be a shame, even if I read elsewhere on the forum that the first reel doesn't look as good as the others.

movielocke

#1866 Post by movielocke » Sat Mar 20, 2010 6:54 am

Flike wrote:You're now all expected to purchase the Everlasting Moments Blu that was just posted on the site.
I will. I just caught up, surprised at the furor over my comment. The movie has a particular tonal palatte that I think bluray will really show off the nuance of. What's more, it doesn't really make sense to buy dvds of new release movies when I have bluray capacity. I've got more movies than I need and many I don't get around to watching for a long while. So it's no great problem to put off buying a new release film like Everlasting Moments on the hopes that it will come out in blu down the line (still waiting on Z, probably a lost cause, but oh well, I've got dozens of unwatched movies I own and netflix and tcm to turn to instead). I do buy things I feel will NEVER be released on blu, such as the Golden Age of Television, all the eclipse sets and Make Way for tomorrow, for example. I vote with my dollars, so to speak. I spend far more on theatrical screenings a year than I do buying home video, although I've watched only about fifty movies so far this year (really low for me) forty of them have been in a theatre, most of those repertory screenings. So to me, it is less about having it to watch in my own home as it is about being able to watch it at all. I don't really ever expect to see Everlasting Moments in a theatre again, so when I do watch it again, I'd like it to be closer in quality to the film experience than what dvd offers. DVD is very very good, but my career has me working with compressed video every day, I see compression in blurays too--and in films that have had 2k Digital intermediates in the theatre, and I simply much prefer watching a 24hz 1080p image because it does not distract me as much as DVDs do.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1867 Post by domino harvey » Sat Mar 20, 2010 9:47 am

Aren't all the Rudiger Vogler movies connected in spirit, since his characters have the same surname in all of them?

Perkins Cobb

#1868 Post by Perkins Cobb » Sun Mar 21, 2010 11:30 am

agnamaracs wrote:I definitely asked about the whole trilogy, and I received the cryptic response of "no fun trying to keep secrets from you people." I know what I meant, but I'm still not sure what they meant.
"You people"? What's that supposed to mean, Criterion? Paging Armond White....

AfterTheRain

#1869 Post by AfterTheRain » Sun Mar 21, 2010 4:57 pm

What do you mean 'you people'?

andyli

#1870 Post by andyli » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:49 pm

What's the film in that photo Criterion just posted on twitter? :-k

Criterion : Anybody recognize the screenshot? RT @benlim: http://twitpic.com/1a8o5m" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; - Screening the HD master of an upcoming release...

Napier

#1871 Post by Napier » Mon Mar 22, 2010 12:50 pm

The Thin Red Line

The Elegant Dandy Fop

#1872 Post by The Elegant Dandy Fop » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:28 am

Again, can't say where I got this tidbit of information, but it looks like Criterion will be releasing Ernst Lubitsch's Design for Living and the horror classic, Island of Lost Souls. I haven't seen either one, but they both seem like exciting releases!

MyNameCriterionForum

#1873 Post by MyNameCriterionForum » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:33 am

"Island" has been more or less assumed for a while now, has it not?

Jeff

#1874 Post by Jeff » Tue Mar 23, 2010 1:44 am

The Elegant Dandy Fop wrote:looks like Criterion will be releasing Ernst Lubitsch's Design for Living and the horror classic, Island of Lost Souls.
Bless you EDF. You're not only elegant and dandy, but a fount of wonderful news lately. Island of Lost Souls is long-awaited acquisition that many have been pushing for for years. Uni and Criterion's evasiveness on this title certainly pointed in this direction, but it's great to have confirmation. Somewhere out there, HerrSchreck's head just exploded. Hopefully, they've been able to get hold of some decent elements.

More Lubitsch is always wonderful too. Design for Living was the only title I wanted from that ugly Gary Cooper box. I'll gladly pay more than the cost of the box for a single well-appointed edition of the film.

Cinephrenic

#1875 Post by Cinephrenic » Tue Mar 23, 2010 3:26 am

I think Criterion confirmed Island of Lost Souls on Facebook, but told us not to hold our breath over it - so called problems with the print. Any more classic American films is highly welcome. What I think the collection needs more of.