34 Andrei Rublev

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
aox

Re: 34 Andrei Rublev

#251 Post by aox » Mon May 17, 2010 9:53 am

swo17 wrote:
aox wrote:Didn't someone just email Criterion and they replied that they don't have any Tarkovsky films in development for Blu Ray? :(
Yes, they did. I think the issue with the Mosfilm version is supposed to be that it's missing certain portions of the film, or perhaps it's not the preferred cut, so it doesn't necessarily surprise me that Criterion is no closer to reissuing the film.
Sure... but the comment also means they are not working on either Ivan's Childhood or Solyaris; the latter I would kill to have in HD. It's not just about Andrei Rublev. That makes the comment even more troubling.

Peacock

#252 Post by Peacock » Mon May 17, 2010 10:01 am

Hardly 'troubling', I'm sure we'll see a Criterion Tarkovsky Blu by the end of next year; it's not like they've forgotten about him, there's only so much they can work on at one time.

aox

#253 Post by aox » Mon May 17, 2010 10:08 am

Peacock wrote:Hardly 'troubling', I'm sure we'll see a Criterion Tarkovsky Blu by the end of next year; it's not like they've forgotten about him, there's only so much they can work on at one time.
From my very limited understanding, developing a Blu Ray (or even a DVD) release takes months of work and preparation. If they say that as of May 2010, they have nothing slated, that means to me that it isn't going to happen any time soon. I don't share your optimism. From their statement, it seems to me the earliest would be early to mid 2011. The pessimist in me probably feels 2012 is probably the best case scenario.

eerik

#254 Post by eerik » Mon May 17, 2010 10:13 am

aox wrote:
Peacock wrote:Hardly 'troubling', I'm sure we'll see a Criterion Tarkovsky Blu by the end of next year; it's not like they've forgotten about him, there's only so much they can work on at one time.
From my very limited understanding, developing a Blu Ray (or even a DVD) release takes months of work and preparation. If they say that as of May 2010, they have nothing slated, that means to me that it isn't going to happen any time soon. I don't share your optimism. From their statement, it seems to me the earliest would be early to mid 2011. The pessimist in me probably feels 2012 is probably the best case scenario.
Next year = 2011

aox

#255 Post by aox » Mon May 17, 2010 10:14 am

I missed the 'next'.

Roger Ryan

#256 Post by Roger Ryan » Mon May 17, 2010 12:19 pm

jsteffe wrote: ...After that, the DP Vadim Yusov did his own restoration of what he has called "Tarkovsky's original version" or something like that. I haven't been able to figure out whether it's the 205-minute cut entitled The Passion According to Andrei, or a third version of the film that Yusov reconstructed. Apparently it was projected digitally in Russia and may be showing elsewhere, but I'm not sure. Wish I could find an answer to this, but everything I've read so far is rather vague. The only thing that's clear is that Yusov was *not* referring to the standard 3-hour version of the film...
I wish there was more information about this reported re-edit as well. I'm at a loss here because I have only seen the 205 min. Criterion release from beginning to end, but have watched various segments of the subsequent edit(s) and it does strike me that Tarkovsky improved the editing in some parts while acquiescing to the censors in others. Certainly the choice to cut to a reaction shot of Rublev when the bell is finally sounded at the film's end is a better editorial choice than staying on the shot of the mute girl. As mentioned above, the prologue is stronger as well (in the later edit); the lovely tracking shot through the tower is less hesitant and more confident than in the 205 min. version (even if you don't see the horse move into position).

I guess my dream version would be to retain most of the later editing choices while reinserting the complete lost shots/scenes from the earlier THE PASSION ACCORDING TO ANDREI. I wonder if this was what Yusov was attempting to do?

jsteffe

#257 Post by jsteffe » Fri May 28, 2010 2:46 pm

Roger Ryan wrote:I guess my dream version would be to retain most of the later editing choices while reinserting the complete lost shots/scenes from the earlier THE PASSION ACCORDING TO ANDREI. I wonder if this was what Yusov was attempting to do?
It's entirely possible that's what Yusov was working on. However, I would think that any assumptions about Tarkovsky's intentions are necessarily tentative. For instance, we know that some of the violence was cut, but how can we say that Tarkovsky himself didn't ultimately decide that it was excessive? I recall reading something to that effect.

Unless Yusov had really solid information to work from, such as detailed written instructions by Tarkovsky himself and to a lesser extent verbal comments, I would say that the best option would be to focus on restoring the two main cuts of the film. Certainly, the official Mosfilm studio version of ANDREI RUBLEV is "legitimate."

As a matter of fact, I just ordered the Russian Blu-ray of the latter. Thanks very much to all of you for the news about it and for the ordering information. This will be the very first Blu-ray I've purchased so far!

"membrillo"
Location: San Diego, California / Tijuana, Baja California Norte

#258 Post by "membrillo" » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:02 am

I finally received my copy yesterday and was able to view the first 15 minutes or so and I can concur with everyone else. So far the Blu-ray looks fantastic!

Fortisquince

#259 Post by Fortisquince » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:53 am

I'm interested in purchasing the Blu Ray from Kniga. Can anyone that bought it confirm that English subtitles are an option?

"membrillo"
Location: San Diego, California / Tijuana, Baja California Norte

#260 Post by "membrillo" » Fri Jun 04, 2010 11:56 am

Fortisquince wrote:I'm interested in purchasing the Blu Ray from Kniga. Can anyone that bought it confirm that English subtitles are an option?
I can confirm it does have English subs.

jsteffe

#261 Post by jsteffe » Wed Jun 16, 2010 2:26 pm

I also received my copy of the Russian Blu-ray of ANDREI RUBLEV. I also think the transfer looks beautiful, though in some places I wonder whether the black levels couldn't have been stronger. Regardless, it's marvelous to see such fine detail in the image and a respectable amount of photographic grain. The color sequence is somewhat soft and washed out as always, but I think that's inherent to the original photography; I also noticed slight vignetting at the very edges of the frame in that sequence. At the same time, the color sequence in this 2004 restoration gives you a nice feel for the colors and textures of Andrei Rublev's icons, which I've seen in person at the Tretyakov Gallery in Moscow.

What really stood out for me was the improvement to the soundtrack that the Blu-ray medium brings. I can hear the dialogue and Ovchinnikov's score far more clearly now. For instance, at the very end of the film it's easier to make out the chorus singing "Gospodi pomilui" (Lord Have Mercy/Kyrie Eleison).

In short, this edition is well worth the trouble to purchase. I was also very happy with how carefully Kniga.ru packed the disc. It arrives via Registered mail and thus requires a signature--a bit of a pain, but all mail from overseas that requires a signature confirmation is treated by the U.S. Postal Service as Registered Mail. Still, I will definitely order again from Kniga.ru in the future.

What I'd really like to see eventually is a Criterion Blu-ray of the film with special features. Lack of good elements for a new transfer of the longer "Passion According to Andrei" cut shouldn't deter them from at least releasing the 3-hour version, though I can't blame them for wanting to wait. I wonder what they have to say about the Yusov restoration?

jmj713

#262 Post by jmj713 » Wed Jun 23, 2010 4:29 pm

A complete Andrei Rublev collection with all the cuts and commentary is a MUST.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#263 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:19 am

A cry of help to people with the russian blu. I have received my (legit) copy but it won't play on my Momitsu/Limit multi-region clone even though the disc is coded for regions A B and C. The sellers have offered a replacement but also noted that there is a problem with Region C encoding on Momitsus. Obviously if the problem is a Momitsu one there's no point in replacing it but I'm wondering if there's anyone out there either with a Momitsu and this russian disc that has no problems or whether there's a trick to get it to play.

tojoed

#264 Post by tojoed » Sun Jul 11, 2010 9:02 am

If you're using the code 973503 - where 3= Region C, that should work.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#265 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Sun Jul 11, 2010 10:30 am

tojoed wrote:If you're using the code 973503 - where 3= Region C, that should work.
Thanks, that did the trick.
Seen the first few minutes. Stunning image . Criterion and AE are no comparison

Eugheni

#266 Post by Eugheni » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:51 pm

I have just bought in Yekaterinburg (Russia) multiregional bluray "Andrei Rublev", released by Mosfilm. The picture and sound are stunning. Unfortunatly that is censored "soviet" cut, that I first saw in the cinema during my schooldays. I'll wait for bluray "Passions according to Andrei", version released in DVD by CC.

atcolomb

#267 Post by atcolomb » Wed Jul 21, 2010 10:28 pm

Just got the same blu-ray...great picture, sharp and clear sounding...no hiss at all! The best looking Andrei yet and i have
most of the copies including the Criterion laserdisc & dvd and the Ruscico dvd....

MichaelB

#268 Post by MichaelB » Thu Jul 22, 2010 10:52 am

Eugheni wrote:I have just bought in Yekaterinburg (Russia) multiregional bluray "Andrei Rublev", released by Mosfilm. The picture and sound are stunning. Unfortunatly that is censored "soviet" cut, that I first saw in the cinema during my schooldays. I'll wait for bluray "Passions according to Andrei", version released in DVD by CC.
If by "the censored cut" you mean the 185-minute (or thereabouts) version, that's as legitimate as the earlier Passion of Andrei cut. Some changes were imposed on Tarkovsky, but others were editorial improvements that were initiated by him.

So a definitive edition would have to include both versions, since they're equally valid.

There's one genuinely butchered edition, the 140-odd minute version that was the first to go on international release, but I think that no longer exists - it certainly hasn't been in distribution for decades, and it's never been used as the basis for a video/TV version.

jsteffe

#269 Post by jsteffe » Sat Jul 31, 2010 11:21 am

I just viewed the Russian Blu-ray of Andrei Rublev on a better display--a Pioneer plasma--and I take back the question I raised about the contrast. It looks beautiful, period. Frankly, Criterion could use that same HD transfer of the 2004 restoration with very little, if any, additional tweaking. Where I think Criterion could make the biggest contribution would be adding 205-minute cut, high-quality supplements and improved subtitles. With regards to supplements, Criterion could include high quality images of all of Rublev's surviving icons, among other things. The subtitles for the Russian Blu-ray are OK, but they're not as complete as I would like. Also, the Russian Blu-ray's menu is not English friendly.

Seeing the film again only underlines the breathtaking viruosity of Vadim Yusov's cinematography. I really have no idea how he executed some of those crane shots, but they're sheer visual poetry.

Wes Moynihan

#270 Post by Wes Moynihan » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:39 am

I watched the Russian Blu last night and was really happy with it. I'm not set up to watch Criterion BR's and in lieu of a possible Articficial Eye release sometime in the future, I was happy to get this disc even if it is the shorter version... I posted some comments on the disc here.

Ashirg

#271 Post by Ashirg » Mon Sep 17, 2012 2:44 pm

So, if Scorsese smuggled the print, does it mean he currently owns it or was it returned to Russia? It doesn't look like Mosfilm has any materials for 205-minute version, so they ever acknowledged its existence calling 185-minute version director's cut. I wonder if there are any trims or deleted scenes in Moscow Cinema Museum as was the case with Solyaris.

andyli

#272 Post by andyli » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:28 pm

When I saw this thread float up my heart stopped for 5 seconds.

Matt

#273 Post by Matt » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:38 pm

Same here. Some people can be so cruel on announcement days.

Ashirg

#274 Post by Ashirg » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:45 pm

Sorry, all the talk about most requested re-release made me think what would it take for Criterion to make a new HD transfer of the early cut considering there is only one print of it survives.

albucat

#275 Post by albucat » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:57 pm

Sadly true. Yet of all the works in the catalog, I don't think I'm alone in saying it's the release I'd most like to see upgraded.