Lena Dunham

Discussion and info on people in film, ranging from directors to actors to cinematographers to writers.
Matt

Lena Dunham

#1 Post by Matt » Mon Apr 04, 2011 11:38 pm

Filmography
Pressure (short), 2006 / Criterion Collection DVD, BD
Dealing (short), 2006
Open the Door (short), 2007 / Criterion Collection DVD, BD
Hooker on Campus (short), 2007 / Criterion Collection DVD, BD
The Fountain (short), 2007 / Criterion Collection DVD, BD
Tight Shots (web series), 2007-2008
Delusional Downtown Divas (web series), 2009
Creative Nonfiction, 2009 / Criterion Collection DVD, BD
Tiny Furniture, 2010 / Criterion Collection DVD, BD
Nobody Walks (co-writer), 2012 (Magnolia Pictures, as yet undistributed)
Girls (TV series), 2012 / HBO

Web Resources
I don't think you need my help finding discussion about Lena Dunham on the Internet.

Forum Discussion
597 Tiny Furniture
Criterion and IFC
The End of Celluloid As We Know It

Arthur House

Re: Criterion and IFC

#2 Post by Arthur House » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:38 pm

Harmonov wrote:
ianungstad wrote:They can't be that picky if they are planning a special edition of Tiny Furniture.
Another woman director in the Collection, which is great. I still haven't seen it, but look forward to giving it an unbiased shot.

Who knows - perhaps he was just blowing smoke up my ass with everything he told me.
So...I'm not an expert or anything, but will Tiny Furniture be the first film in the collection that was shot on a Canon 7d?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:40 pm

It's the first film in the collection that should be shot out of a cannon

souvenir

#4 Post by souvenir » Tue Apr 05, 2011 1:52 pm

With Lena Dunham presumably joining the collection, Criterion certainly missed a golden opportunity to have her provide an appreciation on last year's Bigger Than Life release.

"I was watching it with a boy who I wanted very much to think I was cool and have a crush on me, but the whole time I was like, ugh, yawn, bring a book, I can't deal with this. . . ." probably only scratches the surface of her insight.

oldsheperd

#5 Post by oldsheperd » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:07 pm

Wow! From what I've read Tiny Furniture seems like a mish-mash of mid-twenties post-college isolation and aimlessness. That's original.

rrenault

#6 Post by rrenault » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:15 pm

At first I thought perhaps Criterion chose Tiny Furniture due to its marketability, but now I see that Certified Copy hasn't even finished its theatrical run and has already grossed more than Tiny Furniture did, and also has far more IMDb ratings than does Tiny Furniture, so perhaps the market factor is unrelated to this choice.

Tom Hagen

#7 Post by Tom Hagen » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:30 pm

souvenir wrote: probably only scratches the surface of her insight.
Behold: the collected film criticism of Lena Dunham. Seriously.
David Thomson opens an essay on the Red Riding trilogy by stating: “Red Riding is better than The Godfather.” I’m not sure if this is true, because I’ve never seen The Godfather. According to every guy I’ve ever dated, this renders me ineligible for making films or even discussing them. But I know myself, for better or worse, and mafia narratives (be they tragic, comic, starring a Pacino, a De Niro, or even my beloved Hugh Grant) leave me utterly cold. I guess I’m generally nonplussed by a complex web of crime. For instance, I cannot get into The Wire and refuse to be sorry, or to “hang on until season two.”

Cinéslob

#8 Post by Cinéslob » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:42 pm

Harmonov wrote:
ianungstad wrote:They can't be that picky if they are planning a special edition of Tiny Furniture.
Another woman director in the Collection, which is great. I still haven't seen it, but look forward to giving it an unbiased shot.

Who knows - perhaps he was just blowing smoke up my ass with everything he told me.
If Criterion is focussing on female directors I hope that the major works of Julie Taymor and Miranda July will be inducted into the collection before too long - their works certainly should be higher priorities than the output of minor filmmakers like Kira Muratova and Lucrecia Martel.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#9 Post by swo17 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:49 pm

Tom Hagen wrote:Behold: the collected film criticism of Lena Dunham. Seriously.
I think I'm most distressed by her repeated use of "world premiere" as a verb.

Murdoch

#10 Post by Murdoch » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:51 pm

Maybe Becker is part of some underground miniature fetishist club and this is his way of coming out.

matrixschmatrix

#11 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:53 pm

Tom Hagen wrote:Behold: the collected film criticism of Lena Dunham. Seriously.
Honestly, looking at her reviews, it seems like she's most interested in basically the kind of movies she makes- small, low budget movies with low key emotions and a sort of Dogme aesthetic. I don't know that her disinterest in other stuff, however kneejerk (and weirdly gendered) that disinterest is, is all that damning to her as a filmmaker.

Then again, I haven't actually seen Tiny Furniture.

Tom Hagen

#12 Post by Tom Hagen » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:55 pm

Here's a question: has anyone here actually seen Tiny Furniture?

knives

#13 Post by knives » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:57 pm

Sadly it played in my town about a month ago. I never thought I'd say this, but I'd rather have sat through a Miranda July film.

SpiderBaby

#14 Post by SpiderBaby » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:59 pm

Maybe Becker, Wes Anderson and Lena Dunham are really, um, close.

Murdoch

#15 Post by Murdoch » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:00 pm

Based on the trailer I can't say I have any interest in it. I don't mind mumblecore, I enjoyed Beeswax a great deal and at least one of the actors from that are in this, but the dialogue is just too grating.

Jeff

#16 Post by Jeff » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:01 pm

oldsheperd wrote:Wow! From what I've read Tiny Furniture seems like a mish-mash of mid-twenties post-college isolation and aimlessness. That's original.
I've seen it, and that is unfair reductionism, oldsheperd. Tiny Furniture is actually a mish-mash of mid-twenties post-college isolation and aimlessness as seen through the prism of a self-important, pretentious naif with a massive sense of entitlement.

knives

#17 Post by knives » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:05 pm

My favorite review of the film tried to excuse the precociousness and generic character traits by saying it's the community they live in.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#18 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:08 pm

Tom Hagen wrote:Here's a question: has anyone here actually seen Tiny Furniture?
Funnily enough, I saw it on a date (lady's choice) and had about as adverse a reaction to it as the filmmaker had to Bigger Than Life. The difference of course being the filmmaker's objections are borne out of ignorance for the Hollywood style, whereas mine were more along the lines of "Just because you can make a film doesn't mean you should"-- I wanted to excuse myself to the bathroom and never come back

I have yet to see every movie in the collection, but if it is in fact forthcoming, it will be the new worst film in the CC

matrixschmatrix

#19 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:14 pm

domino harvey wrote:I have yet to see every movie in the collection, but if it is in fact forthcoming, it will be the new worst film in the CC
Ahah! Becker is actually an Allison Anders superfan and wants to take the heat off of her!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#20 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:16 pm

"Worse than Border Radio" is the ultimate pullquote

knives

#21 Post by knives » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:20 pm

Dom you must be having a fit that this gets in, but not The Baxter.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#22 Post by domino harvey » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:24 pm

I don't think Showalter would contribute to any extras for the Baxter anyways: "Oh right, this is when we were dating, before she left me for a dead guy... God look at her... I hate my life."

But back on point, that Criterion would pass on all it has and release this nascent nonsense is just pathetic, really

ianungstad

#23 Post by ianungstad » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:36 pm

Apparently Dunham has confirmed the news on her twitter. (with a tentative release date of early '12)

Meh.

matrixschmatrix

#24 Post by matrixschmatrix » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:39 pm

*CG* wrote:Maybe Becker, Wes Anderson and Lena Dunham are really, um, close.
Lena Dunham's Twitter wrote:Aware most @criterion enthusiasts think I give handjobs for a sport. Please just know I worship the company & am not flippant about this! xo
Uh, oh, I think she's reading this thread.

(Incidentally, I don't mean to endorse the suggestion that any woman who accomplishes something I don't like or don't understand did so through sexual favors.)
Last edited by matrixschmatrix on Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

zeroism

#25 Post by zeroism » Tue Apr 05, 2011 6:47 pm

Sorry, bad joke.

Her wording could've been considered more carefully. Merely pointing that out.
Last edited by zeroism on Tue Apr 05, 2011 7:10 pm, edited 3 times in total.