317 The Tales of Hoffmann

Discuss releases by Criterion and the films on them. Threads may contain spoilers!
DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

317 The Tales of Hoffmann

#1 Post by DarkImbecile » Fri Aug 05, 2005 6:38 pm

The Tales of Hoffmann

Michael Powell and Emeric Pressburger create a phantasmagoric marriage of cinema and opera in this one-of-a-kind take on a classic story. In Jacques Offenbach's fantasy opera The Tales of Hoffmann, a poet dreams of three women — a mechanical performing doll, a bejeweled siren, and the consumptive daughter of a famous composer — all of whom break his heart in different ways. Powell and Pressburger's feverishly romantic adaptation is a feast of music, dance, and visual effects, and one of the most exhilarating opera films ever produced.
SPECIAL FEATURES
  • 4K digital restoration by The Film Foundation and the BFI National Archive, in association with STUDIOCANAL, featuring newly rediscovered footage and with uncompressed monaural soundtrack on the Blu-ray
  • Audio commentary from 1992 by filmmaker Martin Scorsese and critic Bruce Eder, newly updated by Eder
  • Interview with filmmaker George A. Romero from 2005
  • The Sorcerer’s Apprentice (1956), a short musical film based on the Johann Wolfgang von Goethe story and directed by Michael Powell
  • Collection of production designer Hein Heckroth’s design sketches and paintings
  • Gallery of production and publicity photographs
  • Trailer
  • English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
Plus: An essay by film historian Ian Christie

In Heaven

#2 Post by In Heaven » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:51 pm

So, although I've heard of this, there's no info on imdb. Can anyone tell me about this film? I know nothing.

Cinesimilitude

#3 Post by Cinesimilitude » Fri Aug 05, 2005 8:54 pm

I'm in the same boat, what's it about? I am assuming (although I would love it to be) that it is not a film about dustin hoffman.

Arn777

#4 Post by Arn777 » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:16 pm

The British Film Institute is running a Powell/Pressburger retro, a good place to start your reading:

Narshty

#5 Post by Narshty » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:16 pm

In Heaven wrote:So, although I've heard of this, there's no info on imdb.
Do you mean apart from the synopsis, numerous user comments and links to external reviews?
Can anyone tell me about this film? I know nothing.
For pities' sake, you're on the internet. Here's a clue

FilmFanSea

#6 Post by FilmFanSea » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:27 pm

In Heaven wrote:So, although I've heard of this, there's no info on imdb. Can anyone tell me about this film? I know nothing.
You likely misspelled "Hoffmann." If you type "Tales of Hoffman" into IMDb's screwy search engine, you're directed to an obscure Austrian film from 1911 (with no other title options).
Last edited by FilmFanSea on Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jorencain

#7 Post by jorencain » Fri Aug 05, 2005 9:33 pm

I'm definitely interested in seeing this, as I love all of the other Criterion Powell & Pressburger films, but the reviews that I've seen aren't very positive. The criticism is that there's nothing to latch on to emotionally and that too much focus was put into the sets and opulence of the production. I'll probably blind-buy it regardless, but I'm wondering if anyone has any response to that (I'm speaking of the "External Reviews" on IMDB). I loved "The Red Shoes", but not because of the ballet segment. If this is just a blown-up, extended version of that sort of thing, I may be disappointed.

unclehulot

#8 Post by unclehulot » Fri Aug 05, 2005 11:04 pm

jorencain wrote:I loved "The Red Shoes", but not because of the ballet segment. If this is just a blown-up, extended version of that sort of thing, I may be disappointed.
Well, I see the point of a comparison of style in SOME regards with The Red Shoes, but it's a filmed version of Offenbach's opera by the same name, with some cuts of the original score (the opera itself was never quite definitively completed, so there are a number of versions of it over the years), so in that sense I don't think it compares to The Red Shoes at all, since that is a film with very integrated ballet sequences, but a dialogue/narrative structure around it.

I would say one that loves the Hoffman film will love The Red Shoes, but possibly not the other way around, if one is allergic to opera.

dx23

#9 Post by dx23 » Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:14 am

What's it been, six years since it was announced in a catalogue?
Yep, back in 1999, before the cataclysm of the Y2K, which helped further the delay of this title.

Seriously, it was about time. I just hope Derzu Uzala and Cocktail Molotov are next in the on limbo, already anounced, Criterion titles.

Matango

#10 Post by Matango » Sat Aug 06, 2005 2:49 am

Well, if they keep the original LD commentary with Scorsese and Bruce Eder on there, anyone not totally thrilled withe the film itself can at least enjoy some spectacular visuals while listening to one of the better (IMO) CC commentaries. This is George Romero's favourite film, btw.

justeleblanc

#11 Post by justeleblanc » Sat Aug 06, 2005 4:24 am

Preface: I'm trashed.

Question: Is this the same source material as the opera by offenbach?

analoguezombie

#12 Post by analoguezombie » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:49 am

All I know is that this film was a HUGE influence on George Romero and Night of the Living Dead in particular.

unclehulot

#13 Post by unclehulot » Sat Aug 06, 2005 11:50 am

One item mentioned in the supplementary material to the LD release that would make a kick-ass extra (if it even still exists) is a recording of Beecham himself "singing" through the whole score for P & P's benefit before production! Of course a little could go a long way, but anyone who's heard the rehearsal recordings of Beecham knows he's a pretty hilarious character.

What do you think, should I email Mulvaney and see if they can further delay the release while they look for the thing? :twisted:

BWilson

#14 Post by BWilson » Sat Aug 06, 2005 3:17 pm

analoguezombie wrote:All I know is that this film was a HUGE influence on George Romero and Night of the Living Dead in particular.
In the documentary that accompanies the 4 disc Dawn of the Dead Romero does indeed sight Tales of Hoffman as a major influence, however having seen P and P's film and most of Romero's output, I see nearly no direct correlation.

ellipsis7

#15 Post by ellipsis7 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 4:58 am

Yes, I spent an interesting session talking to Jack Cardiff about shooting in 3 strip technicolour, with special relation to A MATTER OF LIFE AND DEATH which was about to screen... Apparently there were a series of prisms, devilishly difficult to align correctly - the process was as much an art as a craft as the results attest... Cardiff incidentally is also an accomplished landscape painter and still photographer (of Marilyn Monroe et al. no less) ... Christopher Challis stepped in to Cardiff's shoes on TALES OF HOFFMANN, while Cardiff I guess was kicking off his directorial career with the Errol Flynn starring unfinished feature WILLIAM TELL (apparently would have been the first in Cinemascope), which wrapped after just 30 minutes of footage had been shot... Later of course, as director, Cardiff would get to replace none other than John Ford (taken ill - the bottle) on YOUNG CASSIDY in 1965...

Any ideas if this will be ready for November (PICKPOCKET & RAN already due) or will run into '06?...

ellipsis7

#16 Post by ellipsis7 » Sun Aug 07, 2005 6:36 am

Yes, it was just published when I met him... Lovely MM photo on the cover of the Faber & faber edn...

analoguezombie

#17 Post by analoguezombie » Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:34 pm

BWilson wrote:
analoguezombie wrote:All I know is that this film was a HUGE influence on George Romero and Night of the Living Dead in particular.
In the documentary that accompanies the 4 disc Dawn of the Dead Romero does indeed sight Tales of Hoffman as a major influence, however having seen P and P's film and most of Romero's output, I see nearly no direct correlation.
From reading stuff with Romero I think the primary influence was in the realm of special efects. He says watching Tales of Hoffman gave him the confidence to make effects heavy films that were also great stories. It also pushed him to make his own, uncompromised, films.

Matango

#18 Post by Matango » Tue Aug 09, 2005 4:24 pm

In the September 2002 edition of Sight and Sound (the big poll issue), Romero says: "..."it's my favourite film of all time; the movie that made me want to make movies."

analoguezombie

#19 Post by analoguezombie » Tue Aug 09, 2005 8:46 pm

Matango wrote:In the September 2002 edition of Sight and Sound (the big poll issue), Romero says: "..."it's my favourite film of all time; the movie that made me want to make movies."
wouldn't it be great if Criterion got him to do a commentary

Gordon

#20 Post by Gordon » Thu Aug 11, 2005 4:20 pm

Powell & Pressburger's, The Tales of Hoffmann has some of the greatest in-camera special effects you'll ever see; a gorgeous film, very unusual, probably for fans of The Archers only, but long overdue on DVD. I have the expensive Japanese DVD and will gladly replace it with a restored edition and the LD commentary.

BWilson

#21 Post by BWilson » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:31 pm

What is The Sorcerer's Apprentice like? Any Fantasia connection?

ellipsis7

#22 Post by ellipsis7 » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:11 pm

According to IMDB runs 13 minutes (cut down from 30), directed by Powell and written by Dennis Arundell (1955) from a story by Goethe.... Sonia Arova is the solo dancer... MP's Vol 2 of autobiography MILLION DOLLAR MOVIE lists it similarly in the filmography, but no mention as yet located in the text...
All Movie Guide wrote:The Sorcerer's Apprentice 1955

In 1799, Johann Wolfgang Goethe penned a poem called The Sorcerer's Apprentice that was based upon a much earlier tale by the Greek poet Lucian. This poem served as the basis for a popular classical piece by Paul Dukas, as well as for this ballet version, staged at Opera Frankfurt and filmed in 1955 by Michael Powell. The familiar story -- told by an unseen narrator as it is being interpreted by dancers -- focuses on a young apprentice to a powerful magician. Dissatisfied with his lot, he wishes to be a sorcerer himself. When his master is out of the room, the apprentice decides that he will use the wizard's magic tools himself -- specifically, to enchant a broom to do his heavy work, such as fetching and carrying buckets of water. The broom complies, but to the student's horror, it continues bringing water long after the job is finished. Unable to find the correct manner of breaking the spell, he takes an axe to the broom and splits it in two -- with the result that there now are two brooms carrying twice as much water as before. Eventually, the sorcerer returns, sees what has occurred, and removes the spell from the brooms, returning everything to normal. Originally running 30 minutes, an edited version running 13 minutes is also in circulation. ~ Craig Butler

DrewReiber

#23 Post by DrewReiber » Sat Aug 27, 2005 12:37 am

I emailed Mulvaney about a year ago on the recommendation of a possible Romero introduction, I detailed his affection for the film and how he and Scorsese were the two people who most perused the library for copies back in the Bronx at that time. Jon said he was definitely going to forward the suggestion to the production staff and I've been crossing my fingers ever since. I cannot express how pleased I am that they followed through on this and look forward to securing my copy of the release.

exte

#24 Post by exte » Sat Aug 27, 2005 11:32 pm

That's excellent news Drew. Whether it was you, or a slew of people who helped recommend Romero, I'm just so glad that he's involved somehow. That's awesome of Criterion, it really is... Excellent news!

Toshiro De Niro

#25 Post by Toshiro De Niro » Wed Aug 31, 2005 4:46 am

every DVD that has Martin Scorsese's commentary is a must buy for me.
(Robert Wise's The Set Up is the only non-criterion non-Scorsese directed movie on DVD that I'm aware of that has his commentary. Does anyone know if there are any more?)