Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol. 4

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Askew

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#1501 Post by Askew » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:30 pm

My guess is that they will upgrade M. Hulot's Holiday and Mon oncle in December, like they did the Suzukis last year. As for Chaplin, I think (and hope) that Limelight may be the next release, since that would be in line with the old MK2 release schedule.

Cinephrenic

#1502 Post by Cinephrenic » Thu Aug 16, 2012 5:41 pm

I'm bummed that Kwaidan hasn't been upgraded yet.

movielocke

#1503 Post by movielocke » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:06 pm

Askew wrote:My guess is that they will upgrade M. Hulot's Holiday and Mon oncle in December, like they did the Suzukis last year. As for Chaplin, I think (and hope) that Limelight may be the next release, since that would be in line with the old MK2 release schedule.
I think they'll probably do Great Expectations and Oliver Twist (and maybe Summertime) in December or January, like the Suzukis and Fullers.

onedimension

#1504 Post by onedimension » Thu Aug 16, 2012 6:19 pm

Written On The Wind and All That Heaven Allows could be December upgrades, too..

Professor Wagstaff

#1505 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:52 pm

French Lieutenant's Woman for December?

Vegeta84

#1506 Post by Vegeta84 » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:09 pm

I don't follow Criterions postings as much as I should so I'm not sure if they have mentioned anything about future Hideo Gosha releases? Not sure how Three Outlaw Samurai sold for them, but I feel like I've been waiting half my life for them to release Bandits Vs Samurai Squadron. When I found out they had Hunter In The Dark I nearly passed out as this is one my favorite films period.

Good news is that it will probably eventually come out. Bad news is that there are so many films that could be released before it that it could be many many years before it comes out.

So have there been any hints for more Hideo Gosha coming our way?

Cash Flagg

#1507 Post by Cash Flagg » Thu Aug 16, 2012 8:15 pm

onedimension wrote:Written On The Wind and All That Heaven Allows could be December upgrades, too..
For what it's worth, this was the response six days ago:
Mulvaney wrote:To the best of my knowledge, there are no immediate plans to upgrade any of the Douglas Sirk titles.

Señor Octubre

#1508 Post by Señor Octubre » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:09 pm

Hi, I actually joined this site several years ago but I forgot my password and I think my account was subsequently deleted.

Anyways, regarding these recently found placeholders, I stumbled across some other ones of interest: Ken Annakin, Fred Coe, Delmer Daves, Cy Endfield, François Girard, Edmund Goulding, Alexander Hall, Joseph Losey, Rouben Mamoulian, Elaine May, Gustaf Molander, Ettore Scola, André Téchiné, J. Lee Thompson, Maurice Tourneur and a second, but blank Delbert Mann page.

Señor Octubre

#1509 Post by Señor Octubre » Thu Aug 16, 2012 9:15 pm

movielocke wrote: Shooting/Hired Hand
Wouldn't it make more sense to release The Shooting with Ride in the Whirlwind? Or am I missing something?

Alan Smithee

#1510 Post by Alan Smithee » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:11 pm

After last years restoration made the rounds is there a region 1 distributor for Sauve qui peut?

knives

#1511 Post by knives » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:13 pm

Olive I believe is working on it.

warren oates

#1512 Post by warren oates » Thu Aug 16, 2012 11:32 pm

Which likely means a dirty dump straight to standard def with non-removable subtitles. Ick.

Giulio

#1513 Post by Giulio » Fri Aug 17, 2012 7:16 pm

brendanjc wrote:
onedimension wrote:So the only big box sets we've had word of still on the way are Oshima's trilogy, the Apu trilogy, the Wenders trilogy, the Bergman-Rossellini films, and maybe the Dekalog, which was only half-confirmed and might fit on 1-3 discs..
Calvin wrote:Kiarostami's Koker Trilogy may be coming as well, some way down the line.
Other rumored possibilities were the Qatsi trilogy, early Errol Morris films, perhaps a box of Chaplin shorts, and a box of World Cinema Foundation films.
Give me just half of them and you'll make my day! still waiting for the rossellini and oshima, they said will release them since 2007 come on!

Rustle

#1514 Post by Rustle » Fri Aug 17, 2012 11:08 pm

Amazon has place holders for Through a Glass Darkly and Virgin Spring on Blu Ray.

eerik

#1515 Post by eerik » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:54 pm

Rustle wrote:Amazon has place holders for Through a Glass Darkly and Virgin Spring on Blu Ray.
Amazon has placeholders for lots of things.

HistoryProf

#1516 Post by HistoryProf » Sun Aug 19, 2012 2:31 am

Señor Octubre wrote:
movielocke wrote:Shooting/Hired Hand
Wouldn't it make more sense to release The Shooting with Ride in the Whirlwind? Or am I missing something?
I don't recall where the post was made, but Shooting/Hired Hand were confirmed by someone close to Hellman as being 'forthcoming from Criterion' a few months ago.

justeleblanc

#1517 Post by justeleblanc » Sun Aug 19, 2012 3:21 am

HistoryProf wrote:
Señor Octubre wrote:
movielocke wrote:Shooting/Hired Hand
I don't recall where the post was made, but Shooting/Hired Hand were confirmed by someone close to Hellman as being 'forthcoming from Criterion' a few months ago.
Hired Hand? This is Peter Fonda, not Hellman so I'm guessing Shooting & Whirlwind were what Hellman confirmed. Hired Hand was Universal (part of the same 5 picture deal with Ned Tanen that included Two-Lane Blacktop and Taking Off) but my understanding is that Fonda now owns all the rights to it, so if Criterion were to release it this would be through Fonda.

Forrest Taft

#1518 Post by Forrest Taft » Sun Aug 19, 2012 6:00 am

Yeah Hellman has confirmed the Shooting/Whirlwind combo. Shooting/Hired Hand has been mentioned as forthcoming quite a few times lately, but as far as I know there has been nothing to suggest that Criterion is releasing the Fonda picture.

Jeff

#1519 Post by Jeff » Sun Aug 19, 2012 9:22 am

HistoryProf wrote:I don't recall where the post was made, but Shooting/Hired Hand were confirmed by someone close to Hellman as being 'forthcoming from Criterion' a few months ago.
The only reference I can dig up on our forum to Criterion possibly releasing The Hired Hand is your guess here. Maybe someone on Facebook or another forum guessed it? While it's certainly possible that The Hired Hand has been licensed to Criterion (Fonda and Universal previously released a great special edition through Sundance Home Entertainment, which is presumably now part of IFC), I can't find mention of it anywhere. Google only returns this discussion.

At any rate, Monte Hellman had nothing to do with that film. He mentioned the upcoming Blu-rays of The Shooting and Ride the Whirlwind via Twitter, and has previously said that they had been licensed to Criterion.

Jeff

#1520 Post by Jeff » Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:34 pm

Criterion should consider releasing Asghar Farhadi’s About Elly. It has never been released in the U.S. It was eventually picked up for theatrical by Here Films, but I don't know that they ever screened it anywhere. They licensed it for disc release with a batch of other titles to eOne (aka Koch Lorber) back in 2009, but eOne never did anything with it, and that deal expires at the end of this month. Rights should be available.

I haven't seen the film, but based on A Separation and Fireworks Wednesday, it's at the very top of my list. David Bordwell has invoked the m-word, and Iranian film critics voted it the fourth-best Iranian film of all time. I'm curious to say the least, and it sounds right up Criterion's alley.

repeat

#1521 Post by repeat » Wed Aug 22, 2012 12:59 am

Jeff wrote:Criterion should consider releasing Asghar Farhadi’s About Elly. David Bordwell has invoked the m-word, and Iranian film critics voted it the fourth-best Iranian film of all time.
Seconded - considering the critical and box-office success of A Separation, you'd think this would've been a no-brainer for whoever owns or can acquire the rights. (In France it was immediately RE-released, both theatrically and on DVD, with "from the director of A Separation" on the cover)

duck duck

#1522 Post by duck duck » Thu Aug 23, 2012 12:39 am

I'm super excited that they keep posting "hanging Rock" things but think it has more to do with Weir's Birthday than a Dec/Jan release.

stroszeck

#1523 Post by stroszeck » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:01 pm

Any chance we'll ever see ANYTHING by Bo Widerberg? I mean surely criterion could get their hands on Man on the Roof, Elvira Madigan, Adalen 31 or any of his brilliant TV movies. He was a very significant filmmaker for a great part of the late 60s/70s.

knives

#1524 Post by knives » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:01 pm

Olive has about five Widerberg movies they are working on.

Mr Sausage

#1525 Post by Mr Sausage » Fri Aug 24, 2012 7:28 pm

HVE released All Things Fair a few years ago. Bare bones, but decent audio and video.