It's All About Love (Thomas Vinterberg, 2003)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
colinr0380

Re: Identify This Movie

#1 Post by colinr0380 » Tue Jul 12, 2011 4:39 pm

Mr Sausage wrote:I think 13 is Ronin.
Sorry Mr Sausage, I think 13 is It's All About Love.

Mr Sausage

#2 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Jul 12, 2011 11:16 pm

colinr0380 wrote:
Mr Sausage wrote:I think 13 is Ronin.
Sorry Mr Sausage, I think 13 is It's All About Love.
I only picked it because I figured there couldn't be more than one movie with a figure-skater murdered mid-performance. Clearly I was wrong.

colinr0380

#3 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:51 am

It's All About Love features about five or six Claire Danes-cloned figure skaters getting methodically gunned down during a single performance! Talk about overkill! (The film also includes an entire village of floating Africans and Sean Penn soliloquising in first class luxury whilst trapped on a doomed plane)
Last edited by colinr0380 on Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#4 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 13, 2011 11:53 am

How have I never heard of this movie with that cast and director? Does your one sentence plot point answer my question?

colinr0380

#5 Post by colinr0380 » Wed Jul 13, 2011 12:02 pm

No, the gunning down happens about two thirds of the way through and only affects the clones! It's actually quite a beautiful scene! It is a shame that the film is not better appreciated although it is quite a strange piece of work. Apparently Claire Danes in particular was really distressed at the hostile reaction the film got at the time - it was by Thomas Vinterberg, best known for the Dogme film Festen, and the glossy nature of the film appeared to be seen as being a kind of 'betrayal' of Dogme values by some critics. But its a fascinating film and nowhere near the Adjustment Bureau thriller-style of film that the linked trailer suggests it to be - it's much more about a rekindling of a romance between the couple who were about to divorce.

I think I mentioned in another thread that another reason that I'm looking forward to seeing Lars von Trier's Melancholia - apparently another 'sell out commercial film dealing with the reactions of a group of characters to an impending apocalypse' - is for the chance to compare it with this one!

matrixschmatrix

#6 Post by matrixschmatrix » Wed Jul 13, 2011 1:56 pm

domino harvey wrote:How have I never heard of this movie with that cast and director? Does your one sentence plot point answer my question?
This write up might.

Murdoch

#7 Post by Murdoch » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:16 pm

I love this forum

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#8 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jul 13, 2011 2:18 pm

Picked up a new copy from Amazon for a little over $4 shipped. Can't wait!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

It's All About Love (Thomas Vinterberg, 2003)

#9 Post by domino harvey » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:03 pm

Per our discussion of It's All About Love, I finally saw it and someone identify for me how this thing got made! :shock:

colinr0380

#10 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:07 pm

Did you feel that it was worth tracking down? It is certainly unique! :D

I agree with Zot!'s comment that perhaps the closest comparison to this film would be something like Southland Tales, although I sense that Zot! didn't mean that to be taken as a compliment or recommendation!
Last edited by colinr0380 on Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#11 Post by domino harvey » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:18 pm

Unique is the charitable word for it! It's not a good film, but boy, watching Joaquin Phoenix and Claire Danes fobbing Polish accents at each other while Sean Penn checks in every half hour from his plane makes for one of the weirder film experiences I've had. It's a pretty dumb movie, full of unchecked earnestness and sci-fi nonsense, but I figure I did get about four dollars worth out of entertainment out of it (mostly of the incredulous sort), so I can't complain too much

colinr0380

#12 Post by colinr0380 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 4:25 pm

I still think that sequence of the sudden freezing spell in the hotel room is stunningly beautiful and almost worth the whole film in itself. It reminds me a lot of the 'thirty seconds of weightlessness' sequence in Solaris.

I wonder if this film prepared Penn for the way that his character in The Tree of Life was similarly pushed to the sidelines/out of the main narrative of that film!