61 / BD 47 La notte

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
MichaelB

#76 Post by MichaelB » Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:21 am

Hashi wrote:The issue (if you take this as such) that other one here is stretched? (Though Gary usually points out these horizontal/vertical stretching issues.) It's clearly evident in every picture where you see a human head a bit closer. And IMO it's the FL that is wrong, vertically stretched. Thus we have more picture information on the top or/and bottom of the MoC image, spite the aspect ratio of the image is the same.
Yes, you're right - I've just resized the images so they're identical, and saved them as two layers so I can flip between them. It's pretty clear that the MoC has slightly more information at the top and bottom and the Fox Lorber is slightly squished to compensate - but since no-one's likely to buy the Fox Lorber at this juncture, it's a tad academic.

I'm also in the "the MoC picture looks better than the Beaver screencaps suggest" camp, by the way.

denti alligator

#77 Post by denti alligator » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:14 am

I take ellipsis and Michael's word that this will look very nice once I get it in hand. The Beaver caps don't look all that impressive, but caps can be misleading.

The squished Lorber image is, I think, a crucial point of difference. Wonder how/why that happened. Clearly the MoC has this right. But ultimately Michael's right: the Lorber is not really an option anymore, anyway. Once the Criterion comes out that will change, of course.

JabbaTheSlut

#78 Post by JabbaTheSlut » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:20 pm

MoC La Notte looks better in motion. Little soft but not bad at all, very good actually.

BradStevens

BBCode ON

#79 Post by BradStevens » Thu Apr 03, 2008 4:29 pm

Just received the following e-mail from my friend Trevor Willsmer (ex editor of MOVIE COLLECTOR):
I saw two punters looking over the La Notte DVD in HMV who not only spotted your name but recognised it, though I think they may be disappointed with their purchase. Extracts from their conversation:

"Yeah, he's that one who writes in horror mags. He's well anal about Italian horrorflicks."
"'S not an Italian horror film is it?"
"Yeah, is. Look, he's strangling her on the cover. And it says it's uncut and everything."

Expect a fan letter from them in the near future.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#80 Post by domino harvey » Thu Apr 03, 2008 8:52 pm

Awesome.

colinr0380

#81 Post by colinr0380 » Mon Apr 07, 2008 5:47 pm

Glenn Kenny on La Notte.

Barmy

#82 Post by Barmy » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:05 pm

I pretty much agree with Kenny. It is his least great post-L'Avventura film other than, obviously, Oberwald and Beyond the Clouds. I have issues with the hospital girl and rocket scene in particular. And the bit in the rainstorm where the girl hugs the "naughty" statue is kinda dumb.

Also I find Moreau's perf to be overly neutral and subdued, not helped by the dubbing.

But many other scenes--all of Vitti's scenes and the scene with Moreau in the car in the rain, are sublime.

I've seen this in theatres many times and no one ever laughed at the final scene.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#83 Post by domino harvey » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:10 pm

Thirded, Vitti's cameo is about the only reason to even watch this

sidehacker

#84 Post by sidehacker » Mon Apr 07, 2008 6:46 pm

I agree, but I think the scene in the rain is pretty cool.

Robin Davies

#85 Post by Robin Davies » Tue Apr 08, 2008 3:24 pm

Anyone found any of these "previously censored sequences" apart from the bit before the opening credits?

martin

#86 Post by martin » Wed Apr 09, 2008 8:07 am

I've counted 8 scenes marginally extended. Timings are approximate and refer to the MoC-edition:

#1 at 0.00:00 (hrs, mins, secs); duration 57 seconds
Eureka logo, Dino de Laurentis production credits and a montage sequence just before the pan down the Pirelli-building begins.

#2 at 1.13:00; approximately 20 seconds
Moreau at the telephone. When she hangs up, the camera stays on her 20 seconds longer on the MoC edition.

#3 at 1.16:40; approx 9 seconds
Mastroianni with Vittis father. The two men leave but the camera stays with Vitti and some other characters for further 9 seconds on the MoC release. Some lines of dialogue are delivered.

#4 at 1.19:50; approx 5 seconds
Moreau is sitting at a table talking with Mastroianni (standing). He leaves the frame but she's in the frame 5 seconds longer on the MoC before there's a cut.

#5 at 1.33:14; approx 8 seconds
When Vitti says "Yes. Everything" the scene continues for 8 seconds until the servant enters with candlelights.

#6 at 1.49:08; approx 8 seconds
After Moreau says "Isn't that true?" we see Mastroianni in the frame approx 8 seconds longer on the MoC-edition.

#7 at 1.56:18; approx 3 seconds(?)
Just before the end - immediatly before the last pan - a few seconds seems to be cut.

#8 at the end; a few seonds
The end title is different on the two editions - a bit longer on the MoC-release.

I like the extended scenes; very Antonioniesque. Like #2 when Moreau hangs up, and she's held in the frame for a painstakingly long time afterwards.

These scenes add up to just under two minutes. There's no doubt therefore that the Fox Lorber is from a PAL master.
Last edited by martin on Tue May 27, 2008 1:12 am, edited 2 times in total.

jesus the mexican boi

#87 Post by jesus the mexican boi » Wed Apr 09, 2008 9:07 am

domino harvey wrote:Thirded, Vitti's cameo is about the only reason to even watch this
Is "thirded" a clue that this is an example of Domino's trademark wit, or is this an actual held belief?

Me love everything about LA NOTTE. It's the most open and accessible of Antonioni's films, and everyone -- Mastroianni, Moreau, Vitti, Wicki -- is perfect in it. If there have to be lesser Antonioni movies, God, let them be like LA NOTTE. I eagerly await my MoC disc (it's en route).

Alphonso

#88 Post by Alphonso » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:08 pm

I agree, and the rest of you are out of your mind. To derange La Notte, a truer work of art than most, its placid lake quality, into director's reoccurring themes or performances or best scenes, as if Antonio had a specific agenda in mind and then fell flat. This film especially is more than the sum of its parts.

Barmy

#89 Post by Barmy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:15 pm

I for one just said it was his least great post-L'Avventura film, leaving aside most of the post-1980 work. I enjoy it very much and think it is "great", but of the "trilogy" it is clearly the weakest and least original.

ellipsis7

#90 Post by ellipsis7 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:40 pm

Syd Field on why LA NOTTE is a remarkable film.

Barmy

#91 Post by Barmy » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:59 pm

It's certainly better than Contempt.

ellipsis7

#92 Post by ellipsis7 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:24 pm

Barmy wrote:It's certainly better than Contempt.
Well Godard did say CONTEMPT was his Antonioni film!...

Cold Bishop

#93 Post by Cold Bishop » Wed Apr 09, 2008 4:35 pm

Barmy wrote:It's certainly better than Contempt.
Aha! So he is trolling!

Although I agree it is the least of the Antonioni's I have seen. Then again, my favorite Antonioni is Zabriskie Point so take that as you will.

Robin Davies

#94 Post by Robin Davies » Wed Apr 09, 2008 5:07 pm

martin wrote:I've counted 8 scenes marginally extended. Timings are approximate and refer to the MoC-edition.
Many thanks for the info!

My Man Godfrey

#95 Post by My Man Godfrey » Sun Apr 13, 2008 7:47 pm

Cold Bishop wrote:Then again, my favorite Antonioni is Zabriskie Point so take that as you will.
Zabris-- gah-- puff--

(That's me being speechless.)

I do think it's funny that there are so many people posting on these threads who seem to have hated 94% of the movies they've ever seen. Antonioni: shite! Bergman: shite! Kurosawa: shite! Scorsese: shite (though Cape Fear had a few tolerable moments). If cinema is a constant disappointment, why make a hobby of watching and discussing films?

I can usually find something to admire and enjoy even in a movie that doesn't work for me on the whole. (That describes my reaction to a lot of Antonioni, actually.) I reserve my hatred for the Kevin Smiths of the world: people who have magically ascended to relevance despite a total lack of imagination and a failure to achieve minimal competence at any of the dozens of things that make up filmmaking.

ellipsis7

#96 Post by ellipsis7 » Fri May 09, 2008 5:02 am

Interesting nugget re. sales of Eureka/MoC's LA NOTTE from Mr Bongo Films website (referring to their new release of L'AVVENTURA)...
Another of Antonioni’s films ‘La Notte’ has had amazing DVD sales for Eureka sparking immense interest in this legendary director.
Good to hear - well done Nick et al!...

martin

#97 Post by martin » Tue May 27, 2008 1:20 am

I've added some screencaptures to describe or illustrate the extended scenes in my previous post (c. 10 posts up in this thread).
Last edited by martin on Tue May 27, 2008 1:32 am, edited 1 time in total.

Zazou dans le Metro

Re: BBCode ON

#98 Post by Zazou dans le Metro » Tue May 27, 2008 1:26 am

BradStevens wrote:Just received the following e-mail from my friend Trevor Willsmer (ex editor of MOVIE COLLECTOR):
I saw two punters looking over the La Notte DVD in HMV who not only spotted your name but recognised it, though I think they may be disappointed with their purchase. Extracts from their conversation:

"Yeah, he's that one who writes in horror mags. He's well anal about Italian horrorflicks."
"'S not an Italian horror film is it?"
"Yeah, is. Look, he's strangling her on the cover. And it says it's uncut and everything."

Expect a fan letter from them in the near future.
The reason behind the sweet smell of MoC's marketing success with La Notte?

"membrillo"
Location: San Diego, California / Tijuana, Baja California Norte

#99 Post by "membrillo" » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:23 pm

My Man Godfrey wrote:
Cold Bishop wrote:Then again, my favorite Antonioni is Zabriskie Point so take that as you will.
I reserve my hatred for the Kevin Smiths of the world: people who have magically ascended to relevance despite a total lack of imagination and a failure to achieve minimal competence at any of the dozens of things that make up filmmaking.
For the past 10 years I have had this thought rolling around in my head and I just could not put it into words. THANK YOU!

Ben Cheshire

Re: 61 La notte

#100 Post by Ben Cheshire » Fri Nov 27, 2009 9:46 pm

I feel like such an MoC fanboy at the moment. I watched La Notte last night. Antonioni was such a poet. I think it was probably the first 1.66 anamoraphic dvd I've seen, at least since I became aware of the shape of 1.66, and how different it loks on 4:3 letterboxed and 16:9 pillarboxed-anamorphic. I got stung a few times recently. A few SD's to avoid:

The Optimum Releasing UK Spirit of the Beehive
The MGM Sweet Smell of Success.

Its a real slap in the face to Criterion, who for years have been releasing 4:3 dvds that picturebox with anamorphically making up for it on HDTVs.