Cohen Film Collection

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

Re: Cohen Film Collection

#27 Post by Drucker » Fri Feb 15, 2013 11:27 am

triodelover

#28 Post by triodelover » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:18 pm

Hey, intertitles in the original language. No yellow subs. What's not to like? :wink: \:D/

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#29 Post by Brian C » Fri Feb 15, 2013 12:57 pm

The packaging, duh.

triodelover

#30 Post by triodelover » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:00 pm

Brian C wrote:The packaging, duh.
So you're looking at the packaging when you play the disc? :-k

Finch

#31 Post by Finch » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:03 pm

The cover isn't great but the chosen still beats the old Kino cover easily. Can't wait to see this in HD!

triodelover

#32 Post by triodelover » Fri Feb 15, 2013 3:16 pm

Besides, it's just another variation on the Wacky "C".

Ashirg

#33 Post by Ashirg » Tue Feb 19, 2013 7:34 pm

Perfect Understanding on DVD and blu-ray on June 4.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#34 Post by Drucker » Wed Feb 20, 2013 2:46 pm

The following comment now appears under the Amazon.com review of Tristana:
I read the warning here from another potential buyer complaining about the excision of certain frames from the movie's end-montage, so sent an email to the Cohen Group asking about it.
Here's their reply, which sounds very positive indeed, so I'll be ordering this new Blu ray

"Thank you for your e-mail. The version of the feature TRISTANA that we are releasing is exactly the same version that Criterion released on VHS and Laserdisc in the mid 1990's - though the quality is far superior. Our scan is from an original negative, as confirmed by one of Criterion's lead producers (This restoration began with Criterion, but not completed before their license expired). We've checked the negative and there are no physical cuts to the ending montage sequence introducing new material. However, we were made aware that a few shots in the end montage differ from the version available in Europe. We accessed this ending and include it as an alternate ending.

Among other extras, we have included

- a feature length audio commentary between Catherine Deneuve and critic Kent Jones,
- a 30 minute visual essay about the film featuring Buñuel scholar Peter William Evans,
- excerpts from Deneuve's diary entries written during production,
- a new essay by Cineaste editor Richard Porton
- a chapter on the film from scholar Raymond Durgnat's now out of print book on Buñuel, and
- Spanish and English language dialogue tracks.

We feel that you will agree that this is the best looking version available anywhere."

Sounds pretty good ... and they only took one day to answer my query!

andyli

#35 Post by andyli » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:44 pm

Wow. Looks like they've made an effort to record new audio commentaries for their major releases. Hope this trend continue with their restoration of The General, Intolerance, etc.

Jeff

#36 Post by Jeff » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:57 am

Those are some Criterionesque extras for Tristana! It looks like they're putting a lot of effort in to the quality of their transfers too. The Rohauer Library seems to be in good hands, and Cohen looks to be ramping up an impressive theatrical distribution unit too.

rohmerin

#37 Post by rohmerin » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:31 am

Excuse me but Spanish is the original language. It's set in Toledo, it's about Spaniards, it's a Benito Pérez Galdós novel, the French iceberg and the Italian blue eyes are foreigners and dubbed into Spanish.

MichaelB

#38 Post by MichaelB » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:17 am

rohmerin wrote:Excuse me but Spanish is the original language. It's set in Toledo, it's about Spaniards, it's a Benito Pérez Galdós novel, the French iceberg and the Italian blue eyes are foreigners and dubbed into Spanish.
Spanish would certainly be my preferred option, but the French track is also a legitimate alternative, since Deneuve dubbed herself.

When I booked Tristana for 35mm rep screenings twenty years ago, it was a complete lottery which print we'd get, as there were two at the Rank depot - one in French, the other in Spanish! But I don't recall any complaints.

MichaelB

#39 Post by MichaelB » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:25 am

david hare wrote:It was then released internationally in the French Audio track 40 years ago, literally worldwide. THis was every review looking backwards to 1971, NYC, Berlin Sydney London etc.
I think the Rank depot situation derived from the fact that the original 1971 release was in French and the 1991(ish) revival was in Spanish. But both prints were in broadly equivalent condition - Tristana was never anything like as much of a repertory favourite as Belle de Jour or Discreet Charm, so the older print was in surprisingly good nick.

Which is why we didn't bother getting prints replaced - as far as we were concerned, there was no "wrong" print.

(It was enough of a pain in the arse getting prints replaced even when the fault was clearly much more serious - the wrong versions of The 39 Steps and The Lady Vanishes, Herbert J. Biberman's Slaves instead of Russ Meyer's, a black and white print of Black Narcissus whose rather gargantuan drawback our projectionist didn't spot until it was actually up onscreen in front of a paying audience...)

MichaelB

#40 Post by MichaelB » Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:56 am

David, I'm not "chasing" anything - I'd much prefer the French track to be included too, as I believe I made clear in my original post.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#41 Post by Drucker » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:42 am

Jeff wrote:Those are some Criterionesque extras for Tristana! It looks like they're putting a lot of effort in to the quality of their transfers too. The Rohauer Library seems to be in good hands, and Cohen looks to be ramping up an impressive theatrical distribution unit too.
If the restoration was begun by Criterion, I wonder if any of that other material had been, as well. And I wonder how often an occurrence that is, with Criterion not being able to release something before rights lapse.

rohmerin

#42 Post by rohmerin » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:03 pm

En la España de esa época, como en ITALIA se rodaba SIN sonido directo, todas las películas se doblaban después en estudio, y Tristana como il gattopardo tiene un reparto internacional, así que si prefieres la versión doblada al francés, vete a París, gilipollas.

Suena a doblado, sí. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gUtZEA9H4tw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Que yo sepa Fernando Rey, Lola Gaos y Franco Nero NO hablan en francés con sus voces.

Even Franco Nero is dubbed into Italian by other Italian actors.

And it's an Italian co-production too, so pray for another Italian soundtrack, capullo.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#43 Post by Michael Kerpan » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:05 pm

I just sent an e-mail to Cohen Media group asking for confirmation that the French version is NOT included.

RobertB

#44 Post by RobertB » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:49 pm

david hare wrote:
MichaelB wrote:
david hare wrote:It was then released internationally in the French Audio track 40 years ago, literally worldwide. THis was every review looking backwards to 1971, NYC, Berlin Sydney London etc.
I think the Rank depot situation derived from the fact that the original 1971 release was in French and the 1991(ish) revival was in Spanish. But both prints were in broadly equivalent condition - Tristana was never anything like as much of a repertory favourite as Belle de Jour or Discreet Charm, so the older print was in surprisingly good nick.
Yeah OK That's correct.

But it' FIRST RELEASE was in French, everywhere. Michael, for Christ's fucking sake -and it played in that form for every single fucking western market all thru the 1970s.

You guys are totally WRONG WRONG WRONG if you are chasing this in some ludicrous notion of a neo realist "legit" Spanish track.... this is just rubbish. Like the notion of Rosso's Joruney in Italy being a "truer" Viaggio in Italia only in Italian, even while both maor actors speak English.

Twaddle.
Not trying to start a fight, just wanting to know more (and I can't find any smiley for taking cover :wink: ): Tristana was Spains submission for the 1971 Academy Awards. France submitted Hoa-Binh. Why was this if it was distributed as a French language film? And both IMDB and Wikipedia (not the most trustworthy sources) have Epoca as the main producer. Do you have any more information?

captveg

#45 Post by captveg » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:49 pm

You guys are fighting over what will probably be nothing. Note that the Spanish and English audio tracks are listed under the "extras" listing. The default is probably the French track.

David, your point was valid but reading it was difficult to take seriously when you were slandering others left and right. C'mon man, no need to lower the conversation to that level.

Zot!

#46 Post by Zot! » Thu Feb 21, 2013 1:52 pm

RobertB wrote:Not trying to start a fight, just wanting to know more (and I can't find any smiley for taking cover :wink: ): Tristana was Spains submission for the 1971 Academy Awards. France submitted Hoa-Binh. Why was this if it was distributed as a French language film? And both IMDB and Wikipedia (not the most trustworthy sources) have Epoca as the main producer. Do you have any more information?
Not to mention, if one is to believe IMDB, the premiere was supposedly in Madrid, a month before France.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#47 Post by Brian C » Thu Feb 21, 2013 2:46 pm

RobertB wrote:Tristana was Spains submission for the 1971 Academy Awards. France submitted Hoa-Binh. Why was this if it was distributed as a French language film?
I don't know about Tristana, but this situation in itself is not remarkable - just this year, Amour is Austria's submission to the Academy Awards, despite being inarguably a French-language film.

Finch

#48 Post by Finch » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:08 pm

The clips from Tristana shown among the forced trailers on the Thief of Bagdad Blu-Ray are in French for what it's worth.

MichaelB

#49 Post by MichaelB » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:18 pm

Finch wrote:The clips from Tristana shown among the forced trailers on the Thief of Bagdad Blu-Ray are in French for what it's worth.
Captveg's logic sounded very convincing anyway, and I'd be delighted if this was the case.

Spanish-only wouldn't be a deal-breaker for me at all - for various reasons (not least working on the 1992 theatrical revival in London) I think I've actually seen the film in Spanish more than I have in French - but both would be ideal.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#50 Post by Drucker » Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:21 pm

Finch wrote:The clips from Tristana shown among the forced trailers on the Thief of Bagdad Blu-Ray are in French for what it's worth.
Here's the trailer on Cohen's website which sounds Spanish to me...but I don't know foreign languages save my high school Spanish education.