Leviathan (Lucien Castaing-Taylor and Véréna Paravel, 2013)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
Kirkinson

Leviathan (Lucien Castaing-Taylor and Véréna Paravel, 2013)

#1 Post by Kirkinson » Thu Mar 07, 2013 12:59 am

Véréna Paravel, co-director of Leviathan, in a conversation with Adam Cook:
The film itself is a very honest reaction to being at high seas. We had a discussion for less than a minute about what to do. The film is a gesture, a physical and emotional reaction to our experience, almost like an epileptic crisis or something—an aesthetic translation of what we have been subjected to.
It's an understatement to say that Leviathan makes Deadliest Catch look like some late-night-cable bass fishing show from 1986, and it's not an overstatement to say that Leviathan is revelatory and revolutionary cinema that points to possibilities never before conceived in the whole history of the medium.

Offering little in the way of the "information" one expects from a typical documentary, Leviathan submerges us in the world it depicts—not just the human world, but also the world of our machines and the experience of the animals and environment we exploit with them. A documentary without text or context (aside from the titular biblical reference and the comically absurd presence of an extended Chipotle commercial that preceded the screening I attended), with barely any perceptible dialogue, it situates the audience in the eyes of at one moment the fisherman, at the next moment the fish—and in the next shot, the net that ensnares it, and the shot after that, a seagull in the vast flock that trails the fishing boat day and night. This film offers its viewers a god-like perspective, but not in the deistic sense that phrasing usually implies in film criticism. This is rather the perspective of a pantheistic god, a god who exists in everything, manifests in everything, is everything. The man, the fish, the net, the boat, and the gull each resonate it equally. The first sustained shot of a human being is an extreme close-up of a man's eyes, focused, aged and weathered, and this after we have just spent several minutes among the dead and dying fish that have been dropped from the net to the deck of the boat, their own glassy eyes baffled by this alien world. We see the fish and the man as equals, and this does not edify the fish or diminish the man: we see them as equals because in this pantheistic perspective they are both incarnations of the same god, as are we, the viewers.

I'm using religious language to illustrate a point, but in fact, Leviathan is essential not because the non-human perspectives it offers are otherworldly or supernatural, but because they are earth-bound, terrestrial perspectives (the natural and the mechanical) that mostly elude us and that cinema has only rarely and briefly rendered with such vitality, and never with such immediacy. This is not to say that cinema has failed up to now, because this is a film that quite literally could not have been made until very recently. It was shot by a handful of strategically placed GoPro cameras, sometimes intentionally framed and operated, but more often thrown into the midst of key events—on a fisherman's helmet, into the mass of fish or clams on the deck, out to sea with the refuse, into the air with the birds—and left to the will of nature. So there are shots that could be said to have been "composed" by the nets, by the boat, by the ocean currents, or even by the wind.

This is cinema for which the digital revolution was essential, and a film that makes the digital revolution essential in turn, because it proves that digital cinema can generate new visions, new dramas, offer new perspectives that have never been possible in cinema before. It builds on the work of filmmakers who have come before—Frederick Wiseman's documentary ethic, Dziga Vertov's adoration of the mechanical and his radical approach to sound, Maya Deren's foregrounding of time, energy, movement and dynamics, Stan Brakhage's brakhageness—but harnesses their ideas to a unique and ingenious understanding of the possibilities afforded by current technology and opens an entirely new path to a new future of possibilities in the art form.

Raul Ruiz writes in Poetics of Cinema:
An old Hollywood saying claims that a film is a success when the viewer identifies with the hero: he accomplishes the action, he must finally win. I think that in any film worth seeing you should identify with the film itself, not with one of its characters. You should identify with the objects being manipulated, with the landscapes, with all the characters, though this doubling can never take place until you have reached and gone beyond the hypnotic point. From this moment forth you are in another film. Before the hypnotic point, we are watching a spectacle, a production: the images come to us. Now it appears that the images are taking off from the airport of ourselves, and flying toward the film we are seeing. Suddenly we are all the characters of the film, all the objects, all the scenery. And we experience these invisible connections with just as much intensity as the visible segment.
Ruiz advocates a kind of film watching that consists of seeing not just the film as it has been rendered, but also as all the other films it could potentially be. He refers to the moment the film takes off in one's mind as the "hypnotic point," because it is the point at which the film has hypnotized you, i.e., put you to sleep, and continues from there into the illimitable world of dreams, and he discourages filmmaking (that of mainstream Hollywood, of central conflict theory, of any kind that eliminates ambiguity) that seeks to prevent the audience from reaching the hypnotic point. By eliminating all context, all information, all the trappings of "plot" and "character," and throwing the viewer from the very beginning into a dark, disorienting, and totally unfamiliar version of what is nonetheless our world, Leviathan is a film that exists only and entirely beyond the hypnotic point that Ruiz talks about. For those viewers who are open to such hypnotic (in Ruiz's terminology, "shamanic") cinema, the experience is nothing short of rapturous.

Finch

Re: Leviathan (Lucien Castaing-Taylor and Véréna Paravel, 20

#2 Post by Finch » Thu Mar 07, 2013 2:40 pm

It's being distributed by CinemaGuild. When I asked if a Blu-Ray would be forthcoming, they said they couldn't make official announcements as yet. As the film hasn't gotten a UK release yet, I'll be importing the BD or DVD on street date. By the way, imdb lists Leviathan as a 2012 title, presumably due to festival premieres last year.

Matt

#3 Post by Matt » Fri Mar 08, 2013 12:24 am

This is by far my most anticipated film this year, I just hope I actually get a chance to see it on a screen larger than my own TV.

nosy lena

#4 Post by nosy lena » Sat Mar 09, 2013 3:52 pm

Finch wrote:It's being distributed by CinemaGuild. When I asked if a Blu-Ray would be forthcoming, they said they couldn't make official announcements as yet. As the film hasn't gotten a UK release yet, I'll be importing the BD or DVD on street date. By the way, imdb lists Leviathan as a 2012 title, presumably due to festival premieres last year.
cinema guild is showing it around the country on a blu-ray disc so i believe it's just a matter of announcement.

Matt

#5 Post by Matt » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:14 pm

repeat

#6 Post by repeat » Sat Mar 09, 2013 4:51 pm

Nice interview with the directors courtesy of the indispensable BOMB Magazine. Definitely top-three most anticipated for 2013, this!

conspirator12

#7 Post by conspirator12 » Sun Mar 10, 2013 9:35 pm

Recommend front row for this one... like floating in a trippy, nauseating tank.

warren oates

#8 Post by warren oates » Mon May 13, 2013 2:54 pm

Kirkinson's initial post and the interviews linked to above already do a great job of describing and contextualizing the film, so I don't have much to add.

Everyone who loves cinema should try to see this one in the theater. Its appeal transcends traditional categories of documentary, ethnographic and experimental film. Its use of new technology to capture/create genuinely new images pushes the medium of film and the field of documentary forward and opens up bold new possibilities for the future. Its unashamed mix of radically subjective experiential footage (orders of magnitude more direct than so-called "direct cinema") with painstakingly precise post-production shot selection/editing, color timing and sound design combines to make what is, for me, probably the most philosophically and aesthetically important documentary film since The Thin Blue Line.

The size, portability, ruggedness and expendable nature of the GoPro cameras allow the audience to experience the world of deep sea fishing not just from every conceivable visual angle, but, more radically, from just about every existential point of view there is -- not just the fishermen, but the fish, the other sea creatures that get caught in the nets (starfish, scallops, rays), the birds, the ship, the nets, the ocean and the sky. And, apropos of all that, the multitude of "characters" are given equal billing in the credits (the fish by proper scientific species name; the ocean as "mare.")

The film's ambitious aesthetic continually creates an ecstasy similar to moments in Man With A Movie Camera or I Am Cuba where a shot begins with a stunning, unexpected perspective and then continues to evolve in ways we couldn't have foreseen and that feel almost impossible.

I'd actually caution against front-row seating unless you're not prone to seasickness or the shaky cam wobblies. I almost wish I'd brought my motion-sickness bracelets to the screening. Still, I was far enough away from the film to be able to periodically pull my gaze back out to the edges of the screen, which definitely helped. Also, you'll certainly want to stay seated all the way through the end credits, both because the credits themselves (who and what gets credited) are interesting and because the film's not really over till it's over.