It is currently Tue Sep 26, 2017 8:52 am

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Doctor Who
PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:08 pm 

Mostly because of his age I'm hoping for a rougher doctor in the mold of the first, but even if they intend to go full Tucker and use Colin Baker as a model it should be a pleasing step away from the teen lit that New Who generally is.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:43 pm 

knives wrote:
It certainly should be a thankful change of pace from the last four doctors.
I liked Eccleston's pissed-off 9th Doctor and Matt Smith's boyish 11th Doctor, but absolutely could not stand David Tennant and had to stop watching the show until he was replaced. Honestly, though, the bigger draw for me recently was Amy and Rory, the best companions in the newer series.

I was hoping they'd cast the 12th Doctor as an older man, partly as a change of pace and partly because having an older man who's comfortable with a TV career (as opposed to a movie actor who feels he's slumming or a young actor eager to break into movies) might mean that the role wouldn't need to be recast yet again in a couple of years.

I never saw Paul McGann's TV movie as the 8th Doctor, so no idea what he was like.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 12:59 pm 

He was okay for the material, but definitely was the blueprint for Tennant's Doctor. I don't think I've actively disliked a Doctor, but I do prefer the older rougher Doctors. For example I adore the weary resign of later Tom Baker to the youthful exuberance of his early serials.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:42 pm 
Not PETA approved

I rather liked the idea of John Hurt as the doctor, as teased in the season finale (about the only interesting thing in that mess).

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2013 2:56 pm 

I seem to remember Paul McGann being fine in the 1996 TV movie but the revamp was scuppered by attempting to do a lot of unnecessary Americanising (for example Sylvester McCoy stepping out of the Tardis and immediately getting gunned down, allowing for a scene in an Emergency Room that seemed desperately trying to link the show in with the currently popular ER show).

I seem to remember there being a lot of talk in the science fiction magazines at the time that it was mostly the fan lobbying (and name brand recognition remaining stubbornly strong) for the show that led to the slightly half-hearted McGann version, something that paid off afterwards in McGann getting a whole arc of talking book stories (sorry 'audio adventures'!) produced for his Doctor in lieu of an actual TV series.

It might seem surprising now with all the hoopla surrounding Doctor Who (and its "50th Anniversary") but there were a good fifteen years where the BBC ran shy of producing in house anything sci-fi related. Apart from some radio dramas (and the 1995 Screen Two drama starring Trevor Eve, Black Easter, which was only vaguely futuristic, being set in the year 2000 and dealing with a racist illegal immigrant killing and a shifty Europe-wide police state) the only things that immediately come to mind in that fallow period from 1989-2005 are Red Dwarf and Dennis Potter's Cold Lazarus, with the latter being a co-production with Channel 4 and preceded by its contemporary set companion piece Karaoke!

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:16 pm 

Attack the Block's Jodie Whittaker will be the next Doctor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 1:19 pm 

Wow, it feels like just yesterday Capaldi took over the role. Hopefully the progressive improvements with each Doctor keeps up.

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2017 2:10 pm 

If you're a maschcist be sure to check out the reactions to the new Doctor being a woman. Every claim under the sun is being levelled at the show from hatred of men to political correctness. What I truly cannot fathom however is how these individuals, some who have claimed to have been watching for many years have failed to pick up on it's messages? I mean they missed the digs at Thatcher and Brexit? They missed the inclusion of LGBT characters? Why is this only now an issue?

I've actually answered my own question. It's because it's a woman.

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2017 7:25 am 

My nine year old - who has watched the whole post-2005 over the past 18 months - saw the new announcement and was SO TRAUMATISED he said "that will be interesting", and then went off to play Pokémon...

I'm disappointed we're not getting another Capaldi season - he's been wonderful and this last series has been a triumph with the addition of Pearl Mackie as Bill, with Matt Lucas and Michelle Gomez the icing on the cake. The final two-parter was probably the best finale of the reboot (although season 5's The Pandorica Opens / The Big Bang is strong competition) and just leaves anticipation for the Christmas special at an unbelievably high level.

However, no Doctor has survived more than three whole seasons since the reboot, and with ratings at a low this may have been as much pushing as jumping. And Whittaker is fine casting - she was decent in Broadchurch (the problems for me came with the development of her character in especially the later seasons) and great in Attack the Block - so I'm happy enough. And she's not Kris Marshall.

I'm frankly more concerned over Chris Chibnall as the new showrunner - his past Who stories haven't been the strongest, albeit solid enough, but the second series of Torchwood was MUCH stronger than the first so I'll wait and see.