Criterion Newsletter (Part 3)

#1 Post by Mr Sausage » Tue Nov 26, 2013 7:44 pm

Ok, time for a new thread.

Part 1
Part 2

ianungstad

Re: Criterion Newsletter (Part 3)

#2 Post by ianungstad » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:09 pm

The Midnight Cowboy blu is out of print....

http://www.amazon.com/Midnight-Cowboy-B ... ght+cowboy" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheapest price on amazon is $25 from a third party seller.

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#3 Post by lacritfan » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:10 pm

sigh...once again my email was blank, can someone send a link?

ianungstad

#4 Post by ianungstad » Tue Nov 26, 2013 8:20 pm

The blu for Leaving Las Vegas is out of print. Figgis mentioned on Twitter that he was talking to Criterion about a new edition. Frankenheimer's The Manchurian Candidate also seems to be OOP.

eerik

#5 Post by eerik » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:01 am

lacritfan wrote:sigh...once again my email was blank, can someone send a link?
http://createsend.com/t/r-7F1FA475C2D84 ... 23F30FEDED" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

George Kaplan

#6 Post by George Kaplan » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:47 am

11-13 is the date, certainly, but it also points to numbers. 12, as in Midnight (Cowboy), fills the gap, and there are 10 spots on the icepack. A 10 spot is a ten dollar bill, or ten Bucks. 10 Spot used to refer, at least in MTV parlance, to 10 PM, two hours before midnight. A flush of 10, 11, 12, 13? Whatever, this is far more entertaining than this Twilight Time shit.

jedgeco

#7 Post by jedgeco » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:08 am

ianungstad wrote:The Midnight Cowboy blu is out of print....
Even though I didn't think the film held up all that great when I watched on MGMHD a few months back, a CC re-issue would be a good addition. And it's not like John Schlesinger is recording any more commentaries.

zedz

#8 Post by zedz » Wed Nov 27, 2013 2:54 pm

George Kaplan wrote:11-13 is the date, certainly, but it also points to numbers. 12, as in Midnight (Cowboy), fills the gap, and there are 10 spots on the icepack. A 10 spot is a ten dollar bill, or ten Bucks. 10 Spot used to refer, at least in MTV parlance, to 10 PM, two hours before midnight. A flush of 10, 11, 12, 13? Whatever, this is far more entertaining than this Twilight Time shit.
And furthermore:
The rat has 1 tail, and 1 tail bandage.
It's got 2 ears.
3 feet are visible
but it has 4 feet, presumably.
The 5th line on the the thermometer is longer than all the others
of which there are 6 in total.
The next Year of the Rat is in 7 years' time.
The rat has got 8 lines drawn in its right ear
and the cat that chewed on its tail has 9 lives.

I think we've cracked the code!

P.S. I think I've also finally figured out why 6 was afraid of 7!

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#9 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:50 pm

Definitely cracked!!
Coz if 6 was nine and the sun refused to shine we would be SANS SOLEIL. The cat that chewed on the rat's tail belongs to Chris Marker!
It is in other words the Complete Marker. I don't mind I don't mind.

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#10 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed Nov 27, 2013 3:51 pm

Got over excited and posted twice

FrauBlucher

#11 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:00 pm

zedz wrote:[and the cat that chewed on its tail has 9 lives.
Wouldn't that make it The Cat o'Nine Tails?

Joe Buck

#12 Post by Joe Buck » Wed Nov 27, 2013 4:31 pm

ianungstad wrote:The Midnight Cowboy blu is out of print....
I'm crossing my fingers and toes for Criterion to give my favorite film the ultimate treatment.

George Kaplan

#13 Post by George Kaplan » Wed Nov 27, 2013 8:58 pm

Ah, I knew there'd be naysayers!
But, I tell you, the attack upon the rat was not the work of a lone cat!

Lowry_Sam

#14 Post by Lowry_Sam » Wed Nov 27, 2013 11:38 pm

number 9 number 9 number 9

I picked up the mgm blu a while ago, but wasn't very impressed the second time around (it had been a while). It felt very dated, I'd be more inclined to pick up an upgrade of My Own Private Idaho than this. I'd much rather see Criterion release just about any other Schlesinger title (Honkytonk Freeway or earlier) than this.

britcom68

#15 Post by britcom68 » Tue Dec 03, 2013 12:08 pm

Last year at the 2012 Wexner Center talkers, it was stated by one of the producers that Criterion was not currently working on Schlessinger's Midnight Cowboy or Darling. If things have changed, the least Criterion could do is consider "The Lost Language of Cranes" as a compaion piece to the release of "Cowboy." Yes, "Cranes" has many dated moments too and a fading tension due to our changing cultural acceptance, but at least it is less ridiculous in comparison to "Cowboy." Ironically, Schlessinger's earlier film "Darling" has always felt totally explicitly trapped by its tone and era- Richard Lester photoplay- "terriblly Chelsea" shallow yuppies- and can be enjoyed if seen as camp, something "Cowboy" just cannot acheive today. Why is it that "Cowboy" leaves me feeling like watching a dated soap opera and yet Sinatra's film The Detective filmed and released the year BEFORE "Cowboy" cuts deeper into showing "underground" sexual identity and emotional tension? I think it is the explicit gay-for-pay ambiguity of "Cowboy," that sexual cutlure comes off as awkward somehow when viewed today, even though we still have hustlers in America today, the hustling plot in "Cowboy" feel unrealistic because they are not in Vegas, where such commerce would be more at home, less quaint and staid, but instead this is filmed in a slice of New York that no longer exists.
Wathing this film today while already aware of the tremendous changes in New York City and American culture- heck New York state has legalized rights for GLBT individuals AND couples- makes the entire huster plot and lead characters of Cowboy appear all the more pathetic and lost, in over their headers with delusions of granduer, bringing out a strong nihlistic enjoyment in watching the film, that they of course will never make their act succeed.

lacritfan
Life is one big kevyip

#16 Post by lacritfan » Tue Dec 03, 2013 3:07 pm

eerik wrote:
lacritfan wrote:sigh...once again my email was blank, can someone send a link?
http://createsend.com/t/r-7F1FA475C2D84 ... 23F30FEDED" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Thanks.

Lowry_Sam

#17 Post by Lowry_Sam » Tue Dec 03, 2013 8:08 pm

britcom68 wrote: Why is it that "Cowboy" leaves me feeling like watching a dated soap opera and yet Sinatra's film The Detective filmed and released the year BEFORE "Cowboy" cuts deeper into showing "underground" sexual identity and emotional tension?
For me, the problem is that Schlesinger strives to present some type of dramatic realism in Midnight Cowboy and for which the film was praised & received an X rating. But in fact it was only the case because Hollywood never dared to tackle the topic head-on before. In fact, the film is so far removed from the reality of street hustlers in the 60s (and this is actually almost 1970), that it's a quite fanciful portrait (but tries to play it straight). Paul Morrissey's films (Heat, Trash, Lonsome Cowboys...) all portray New York underground/street life much more credibly in spite of their campiness. (and predate MC) At the same time, I find the buddy films of the 50s/60s (Wessterns, crime, sand & sandals etc.) to be much more interesting to watch for the instances of "gay subtext" underlying many a plot developments precisely because they're meant more for entertainment & not striving for "realism".
Ironically, Schlessinger's earlier film "Darling" has always felt totally explicitly trapped by its tone and era- Richard Lester photoplay- "terriblly Chelsea" shallow yuppies- and can be enjoyed if seen as camp, something "Cowboy" just cannot acheive today.
Darling is probably my 2nd favorite Schlesinger (after Sunday Bloody Sunday, where he really gets it right) while not always taking everything so seriously. Darling always strikes me as 1/2 Breakfast At Tiffany's and 1/2 La Dolce Vita. I've never quite liked Breakfast At Tiffany's for many of the same reasons I have problems with Midnight Cowboy, but it plays it for entertainment & is less objectionable. Darling always strikes me as being the movie that Breakfast At Tiffany's should have been.

eerik

#18 Post by eerik » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:49 pm

It's an ace that's in the hole... what could it be. :roll:
Last edited by eerik on Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

jwd5275

#19 Post by jwd5275 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:50 pm

Ace in the Hole upgrade

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#20 Post by swo17 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:50 pm

For the third month in a row, I've received a blank newsletter. Could someone please post theirs here?

Roger Ryan

#21 Post by Roger Ryan » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:51 pm

Well that's the easiest one yet - I only had to glimpse the blue part to know what it was referencing.

eerik

#22 Post by eerik » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:52 pm

swo17 wrote:For the third month in a row, I've received a blank newsletter. Could someone please post theirs here?
http://createsend.com/t/r-84AF9DE6D2DC6 ... 23F30FEDED" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#23 Post by Drucker » Fri Dec 20, 2013 4:55 pm

Ace In The Hole, glad I've held off on buying a copy for so long! This was my first Wilder and I absolutely loved it.

FrauBlucher

#24 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:02 pm

Hhhmm, when was the last time the newsletter hint was of an upgrade?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#25 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Dec 20, 2013 5:07 pm

Maybe it's a double clue and the other movie is The Incredible Burt Wonderstone