BD 89 Boomerang!

Discuss releases by Eureka and Masters of Cinema and the films on them.
swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

BD 89 Boomerang!

#1 Post by swo17 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 3:17 pm

Boomerang!

One of the early films by Method Actor's director Elia Kazan (A Streetcar Named Desire, On the Waterfront), Boomerang! also marked one of the early American Hollywood entries into the Cannes Film Festival in 1947. Kazan's impactful noir drama stars a cast of stalwarts of the '40s and '50s hard-boiled streak and his own oeuvre, including Dana Andrews, Lee J. Cobb, Jane Wyatt, Arthur Kennedy, and Karl Malden.

When the murder of a piece results in a botched police investigation, prosecutor Henry Harvey (Dana Andrews) leads an effort to bring the murderer to justice. Once blackmail creeps into the investigation, all bets on an unclouded trial are off, resulting in an explosive finale that remains one of the toughest in Kazan's work.

With its documentary-like treatment of the procedural, and generally authentic portrayal of an exurban Connecticut town, Kazan's film was a success at the time of its release, and garnered awards from both the New York Film Critics Circle and the National Board of review for Kazan's direction. The Masters of Cinema Series is proud to present Boomerang! for the first time anywhere on Blu-ray, in a special Dual Format (Blu-ray + DVD) edition.

DUAL FORMAT RELEASE INCLUDING BLU-RAY AND DVD VERSIONS OF THE FILM

• New 1080p transfer of the film on Blu-ray, with a progressive encode on the DVD
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Feature-length audio commentary by film historians Alain Silver and James Ursini
Elia Kazan: An Outsider, a 1982 documentary about the filmmaker by Annie Tresgot and Michel Ciment
• Original theatrical trailer

Props55

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#2 Post by Props55 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:33 pm

I'm having a synapse block. Did BOOMERANG ever get a stand-alone release after being pulled from its initial Fox Noir slot? I know it made it to the big box Kazan set (where it came pre-scratched) but is this its solo debut?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: MoC Forthcoming, Wishlist and Random Speculation

#3 Post by domino harvey » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:40 pm

It finally (re)came out in the last or next to last wave of Fox Noirs. It's also out on Blu in a four pack of Kazan titles via Fox Connect

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: BD 89 Boomerang!

#4 Post by swo17 » Fri Jan 31, 2014 5:53 pm

Weird that they're claiming "for the first time anywhere on Blu-ray."

TMDaines

#5 Post by TMDaines » Sat Feb 01, 2014 7:31 am

They claimed this on another title last year too, when it wasn't the case. I can't remember which though.

manicsounds

#6 Post by manicsounds » Thu May 08, 2014 10:21 am

Awesome, they were able to port the DVD commentary by Silver/Ursini, and add a Kazan documentary!

• New 1080p transfer of the film on Blu-ray, with a progressive encode on the DVD
• Optional English subtitles for the deaf and hard of hearing
• Feature-length audio commentary by film historians Alain Silver and James Ursini
• Elia Kazan: An Outsider, a 1982 documentary about the filmmaker by Annie Tresgot and Michel Ciment
• Original theatrical trailer
Last edited by manicsounds on Thu May 08, 2014 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#7 Post by swo17 » Thu May 08, 2014 10:43 am

That doc is also included on Criterion's release of On the Waterfront.

FrauBlucher

#8 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed May 14, 2014 7:07 pm

Beaver Very, very solid.

Der Spieler

#9 Post by Der Spieler » Wed May 14, 2014 7:54 pm

I definitely need glasses cause I prefer the look of the SD.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#10 Post by Drucker » Wed May 14, 2014 8:33 pm

Der Spieler wrote:I definitely need glasses cause I prefer the look of the SD.
Agreed. I want to see the blu-ray.com review, but there almost seems to be...a mushiness to it?

Gaddis

#11 Post by Gaddis » Wed May 14, 2014 8:39 pm

Agreed. I want to see the blu-ray.com review, but there almost seems to be...a mushiness to it?
Seconded, and mushiness is the word. The SD looks much sharper on the top two caps in particular.

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#12 Post by tenia » Thu May 15, 2014 1:48 am

The grain looks like it has been tampered with.

EDIT : having now watch this one, I can say that the grain only look like this on Gary's caps. It's actually really thick in movement, and it doesn't look as if this is coming from a recent scan.
Last edited by tenia on Sun Jun 01, 2014 2:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

kingofthejungle

#13 Post by kingofthejungle » Thu May 15, 2014 9:27 am

There's definitely a mushiness, but it isn't MOC's fault, this is the same Fox master that's in their 'Elia Kazan' Blu-Ray set. Boomerang! is probably the worst looking of the films in the set.