Mondo Vision

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
JonathanK

Re: Mondo Vision

#526 Post by JonathanK » Sat Mar 15, 2014 12:42 pm

domino harvey wrote:God, that's really prissy, isn't it? "Our extras are the only ones that matter" followed by a finger snap and turning away
Not sure where you pulled that from :-k They don't even mention the extras, if you read it again they are referring to their presentation as a whole package "particularly the limited edition". Mondo Vision is located in the US and for our region this is indeed the one and only version. The film has been released in Europe a few times but only once in the US in an incorrect version according to Mondo's claims. If you go back few pages on this thread you see that the folks at Mondo actually pointed everybody towards the Second Sight edition, they voluntarily told people to support the UK release. It was also established on this forum early on that the UK edition would have more extras as far as interviews, that's why I don't see their comments having anything to do with Disc extras.

By any chance have you seen or owned their previous Limited Editions? If you have, then you will understand what they are referring to.

David M.

#527 Post by David M. » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:44 pm

I should actually raise my hand here and explain that. That "value over extras" thing, as people pointed out, has been there since the beginning and actually comes from a point that I raised at a time where Hollywood majors were using bargain-basement bitrates and heavy filtering to squeeze a movie and a ton of "EPK-like" extras onto DVDs. My argument was always to use high bandwidth for the film and give what was left over to relevant extras. Fortunately now we have Blu-ray.

Like Michael said, it's not a direct response to the Second Sight BD.

asmodeux17

#528 Post by asmodeux17 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 3:30 pm

I plan on getting the limited edition version. I did have a few questions. The UK blu ray has PCM sound while the information for the US blu ray states DTS-HD Master Audio. Was there a reason for the audio change? Also, what sound will the alternate audio listed be in? Lastly, I'm going to assume that the encoding( i.e. bit rate) for the main feature will be different than the UK blu ray because of different content. Am I right?

dad1153

#529 Post by dad1153 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:35 pm

I'm in for the Limited Edition BD as well. All Mondo Vision releases have been money, and this should prove no exception. It's a shame they couldn't release other Zulawski movies while working on "Possession" though. :(

Mathew2468

#530 Post by Mathew2468 » Sun Mar 16, 2014 6:38 pm

They're probably my favorite DVDs. I hope things get easier after this release. I really want The Blue Note.

Telstar

#531 Post by Telstar » Mon Mar 17, 2014 6:30 am

The Silver Globe is the one I'm most excited about finally getting a look at.

JimmyTango

#532 Post by JimmyTango » Tue Mar 18, 2014 1:09 am

Telstar wrote:The Silver Globe is the one I'm most excited about finally getting a look at.
I've been waiting for it since it was announced as in production. Currently the only decent edition, released by Telewizja Kinopolska, is out print.

McCrutchy

#533 Post by McCrutchy » Sat May 17, 2014 3:12 am

The day is finally here: Pre-orders are live at Toufaan for Possession:

Standard Edition for $39.95

Limited Edition (of 2,000 copies) for $64.99

Release Date: June 15th, 2014

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#534 Post by jindianajonz » Sat May 17, 2014 9:41 am

Awesome news!

perkizitore

#535 Post by perkizitore » Sat May 17, 2014 10:02 am

Yikes! I expected it to be $50, but I guess all these delays have created additional costs for them :shock:

Mathew2468

#536 Post by Mathew2468 » Sat May 17, 2014 10:04 am

Shipping to Canada was about $16.

perkizitore

#537 Post by perkizitore » Sat May 17, 2014 10:24 am

They really should include free shipping at least, this is a deal breaker for me. I have all the MD releases so far, but there is no way I am spending $80+ for a single film.

criterion10

#538 Post by criterion10 » Sat May 17, 2014 10:37 am

Damn, $65 is expensive. Is this likely to sell out before the release next month?

Adam X

#539 Post by Adam X » Sat May 17, 2014 11:23 am

And ... breathe out. This and Twin Peaks in one week!!!

JonathanK

#540 Post by JonathanK » Sat May 17, 2014 5:24 pm

McCrutchy wrote:The day is finally here: Pre-orders are live at Toufaan for Possession:

Standard Edition for $39.95

Limited Edition (of 2,000 copies) for $64.99

Release Date: June 15th, 2014
Thanks for the heads up! Ordered both editions. I emailed Toufaan asking when it will ship, they said processing starts on Tuesday. Looks like they have both editions in stock and will ship long before the release date. On their website it also says "All pre-orders will ship on or before the release date".

JonathanK

#541 Post by JonathanK » Sat May 17, 2014 5:28 pm

perkizitore wrote:Yikes! I expected it to be $50, but I guess all these delays have created additional costs for them :shock:
Go for the special edition instead, it's totally worth it! Their special edition is what other companies sell as Limited Edition. I have all their previous special editions and they come in a Hard box slipcase, not your typical flimsy digipack.

EddieLarkin

#542 Post by EddieLarkin » Sat May 17, 2014 5:51 pm

Ouch, £55 delivered to the UK. The DVD sets cost me £33 each...

I'm going for it on the basis that I really feel Mondo deserve the support, and that this release will lead to more Zulawski Blu.

perkizitore

#543 Post by perkizitore » Sat May 17, 2014 8:20 pm

JonathanK wrote:
perkizitore wrote:Yikes! I expected it to be $50, but I guess all these delays have created additional costs for them :shock:
Go for the special edition instead, it's totally worth it! Their special edition is what other companies sell as Limited Edition. I have all their previous special editions and they come in a Hard box slipcase, not your typical flimsy digipack.
I am aware of that, I own all their limited editions, but I thought that Blu-ray would only account for a $10 premium, not $25!

McCrutchy

#544 Post by McCrutchy » Sun May 18, 2014 4:37 pm

perkizitore wrote:
JonathanK wrote:
I am aware of that, I own all their limited editions, but I thought that Blu-ray would only account for a $10 premium, not $25!
Some misconceptions here. First of all, the price difference between the standard edition Mondo Vision DVDs ($24.99) and the standard edition Blu-ray of Possession ($39.95) is only $14.96, not $20. Those standard DVD sets did not cost $24.99 originally, as I recall, but of course now, with age, they are discounted.

Secondly, the--technically OOP--limited edition DVD sets sell for $44.99 each, whereas the limited edition Blu-ray of Possession is $64.99, or only $20 more.

More importantly, I highly doubt that every dollar of the price difference is simply due to the format upgrade.

This was a labor of love for Mondo Vision, and just as we have waited years to get it, they have spent years producing it. And it isn't as though, during that time, we got many new releases from Mondo, is it? If anything, only Szamanka came after Possession was announced, and even that was released in December 2010. That means Mondo Vision have released nothing in three-and-a-half years, and most, if not all, of that time was spent working on this release.

I remember at one point, that it was said that if the release could be done, it would not have a limited edition, and everyone who owns a Mondo Vision LE knows they are some of the most elaborate, beautiful DVD packages ever created.

I also seem to remember at one point, we didn't know if the project itself could be completed, and if I recall, there were fears that Mondo Vision would fold, due to the expense of the project.

Now, happily, neither of those fears turned out to be true. And to be honest, the price for these editions are about what I had hoped, which is less than I was expecting to pay.

For those who want just the film and a small booklet in a nice case, you can get the standard edition, but for an extra $25.04, you get:

A remastered soundtrack CD

60 extra pages of written material on the film

14 art reproductions (lobby cards, poster art, etc.)

Numbered Certificate of Authenticity

All of which were created exclusively for this release.

Finally, read what Mondo say about the packaging:
This edition of POSSESSION features a fully illustrated matte laminated Hardcover Box with magnetic enclosure + a separate Hardcover Slipcase with die-cut window. The slipcase is fully wrapped with import European blue velvet. The die-cut window reveals the original poster art from the magnetic box once the slipcase is on. Silver hot stamping is used throughout the packaging to highlight the title and the credits. Inside of the magnetic box features a foldout matte laminated 6-panel digipak, shiny black trays to hold the Discs + a Hardcover magnetic pocket to store the 84pg booklet and the remaining contents. The silver hot stamping theme is carried throughout the inside. This is MONDO VISION's biggest Limited Edition yet, with a shipping weight of 2.5 pounds (1.13kg) and the following dimensions:
In Inches: 7.9" (H) x 6.1" (W) x 1.67" (D)
In Millimeters: 201 (H) x 155 (W) x 42 (D)
So obviously, some of the extra cost is also factored into the incredible packaging. If Mondo Vision's DVD releases are anything to go by, the limited edition packaging will justify the extra cost by itself, even before considering the additional content.

It's up to all of you, but to be frank, for this release, I don't see the point of complaining about price at all. I just hope that Mondo Vision make enough money to stay in business, and keep releasing wonderful editions of films.

For me, it's $64.99 well spent.

perkizitore

#545 Post by perkizitore » Sun May 18, 2014 4:55 pm

I complain to lament the fact that it had to cost so much compared to their previous editions, but maybe that is because of reasons out of their control and not mistakes on their part. If this was Mondo Vision's first release, we would not even be having this discussion! But who am I kidding, I will be probably buy it anyway! :P

Adam X

#546 Post by Adam X » Sun May 18, 2014 6:05 pm

I think McCrutchy took the words right out of my fingers.
Plus, these prices have been listed for over two months on Mondo's site, which should've been a decent enough lead time to scrounge together the extra $20. There's also the UK release as an option, for anyone who doesn't feel they can afford or justify the cost of the Ltd Ed. Though as has been said, it should be money well spent, and given the higher price tag I'd think Mondo's Possession should be available for a while yet.

foe

#547 Post by foe » Mon May 19, 2014 9:34 pm

finally ^^

Although it's far from being the very best of AZ imHo (and that is his Polish (TPOTN,TD,OTSG) output) I'm definitely going to purchase this. Just like with all of the earlier MV releases I'd go for the cheaper option though. Hope it's going to sell out quickly to reassure MV they have been doing a fantastic job all this years.

Mathew2468

#548 Post by Mathew2468 » Mon May 19, 2014 9:48 pm

Possession is much closer to his Polish films than his French ones, though.

JonathanK

#549 Post by JonathanK » Mon May 19, 2014 11:47 pm

Adam Grikepelis wrote:I think McCrutchy took the words right out of my fingers.
Plus, these prices have been listed for over two months on Mondo's site, which should've been a decent enough lead time to scrounge together the extra $20. There's also the UK release as an option, for anyone who doesn't feel they can afford or justify the cost of the Ltd Ed. Though as has been said, it should be money well spent, and given the higher price tag I'd think Mondo's Possession should be available for a while yet.
I was thinking just the same!

No sure how many collectors are on this forum so I will only speak for myself. I have been collecting since 2001 and I happen to have imported many stuff from Japan, for example Sergio Leone's ultimate DVD edition of The Good, the Bad and the Ugly, a simple beautiful digipak with 2 disc released by MGM. That cost me more than $50 before shipping to US!! Judging by Mondo Vision's previous releases and the actual photos posted on Toufaan, if the same limited edition of Possession came out in Japan it would have easily be listed at over $100 retail.

When it comes to cult/arthouse releases in the US the best we normally get in terms of limited edition from boutique labels (not major labels) is something like these! If these steelbooks at 3000 un-numbered units cost $45.95, then just do the math for what you are getting with Possession's LE!

http://synapse-films.com/dvds/demons-li ... steelbook/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://synapse-films.com/dvds/demons-2- ... steelbook/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It's worth adding the following to McCrutchy's explanation:
- Soundtrack CD of any film released on its own will cost at least $15.99+ (you are not getting a pointless backup DVD of the same film, or a 2nd disc full of extras that you may never revisit. You will however listen to the music in more than one occasion)
- Each set comes with a unique serial # as opposed to a claim that is limited to a certain number.
- 2000 copies is a very low production run for BD-50, so it probably cost them a fortune to manufacture. Before Mondo announced the news, I thought they will do at least 5000 units!
- The description if accurate states that the inside pocket is now made from hard cover and comes with its own magnets, previous LE pockets are not constructed from hard cover.
- Finally I did some measurements of Mondo's previous LEs and compared them against the dimension listed for Possession:

DVD Limited Editions (used L'amour braque red velvet LE as sample)
In Inches: 7.8" (H) x 5.8" (W) x 1.22" (D)
In Millimeters: 200 (H) x 148 (W) x 31 (D)
H= Height W= Width D=Depth

Possession Blu-ray Limited Edition:
In Inches: 7.9" (H) x 6.1" (W) x 1.67" (D)
In Millimeters: 201 (H) x 155 (W) x 42 (D)
H= Height W= Width D=Depth

Possession LE is slightly taller and wider, but more importantly it is half an inch thicker; compare the depths. I think that's because it comes in 2 pieces, the magnetic box + the hardcover slipcase. All of their previous LEs are one piece and the artwork is printed on the magnetic box. If they went that route they could have never used the original artwork, you can't print the Medusa head on velvet! Instead they made a separate Slipcase with die-cut window to showcase the original artwork. That's ingenious, I would have hated it if they didn't use the original art for the LE!

The fact that Limited Edition is so tempting is making people overlook the Special Edition. If Mondo wasn't around and we were given only the SE option, I would have been in cloud 9 by now! It comes with a completely different design and color scheme. I love how they used the green and blue theme from the film, it's perfect!

So the choice is not that hard, if you are a die-hard fan get the LE, if you are on a budget get the SE, if you want more extras and can play Region B discs import the UK blu-ray for around $28 shipped from Amazon UK!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#550 Post by swo17 » Wed May 21, 2014 10:37 am

It looks like pre-orders for Possession are already shipping.