Recommendations for Second Run

Discuss releases by Second Run and the films on them.
Aunt Peg

Re: Recommendations for Second Run

#376 Post by Aunt Peg » Wed Aug 28, 2013 9:10 pm

Something I would love to see Second Run release is Tarzanova smrt (1962) - Death of Tarzan.

admira

#377 Post by admira » Tue Sep 10, 2013 12:47 pm

TRÁPENÍ / The Stress of Youth (1961), Dir. Karel Kachyňa
http://www.nostalghia.cz/galerie/texty/trapeni.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Závrať / Vertigo (1962), Dir. Karel Kachyňa
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=erXeVz2DWfc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Naděje / The Hope (1963), Dir. Karel Kachyňa

simonjamesconstable

#378 Post by simonjamesconstable » Fri Sep 13, 2013 12:47 pm

I watched 'Faraon' a few nights ago on YouTube (official upload) and it was absolutely fantastic, probably the best film ever made set in ancient Egypt. Since Second Run have released other films by its director Jerzy Kawalerowicz, this would be a great choice.

Watch a new trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-lPTkkpiTw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

perkypat

#379 Post by perkypat » Wed Nov 06, 2013 8:27 am

Going intercontinental how about some Cinema Novo eg Ruy Guerra's Os Fuzis or Os Cafajestes, Nelosn Pereira dos Santos' Vidas Secas or Rio hundred degrees.

Switching to Africa, some Souleymane Cisse eg Yeelen or The Wind.

Or as someone mentioned previously, Lino Brocka.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#380 Post by swo17 » Wed Nov 06, 2013 12:31 pm

Jancsó's Electra, My Love. It's one of his best, and I believe the only edition presently available is from Facets.

Stefan Andersson

#381 Post by Stefan Andersson » Fri Nov 15, 2013 2:52 am

+1 for Electra, My Love (and Jancsó generally)

+1 Yeelen. One of my favorite African films, along with the equally impressive Yaaba.

Stefan Andersson

#382 Post by Stefan Andersson » Sun Dec 08, 2013 10:04 am

Would you like to release more Chinese films?

Like The Blue Kite, 17 Years, Forbidden Palace, Day the Sun Turned Cold, Swan Song, Life on a String.

Was reminded of these films while leafing through some early-Nineties Sight & Sound issues.

Calvin

#383 Post by Calvin » Thu Jan 16, 2014 1:23 pm

As I really enjoyed MoC's release of Ermek Shinarbaev's Revenge in their World Cinema Project set, I would love to see Second Run release his other two collaborations with Anatoli Kim:

My Sister Lucy / Sestra moya, Lyusya (1985)
Out of the Forest, Into the Glade / Vyyti iz lesa an polyanu (1987)

Shinarbaev has singled out the latter as the film he is most proud of.

What A Disgrace

#384 Post by What A Disgrace » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:39 pm

Is there any chance that Second Run is actually releasing Costa's Where Does Your Hidden Smile Lie?

knives

#385 Post by knives » Thu Jan 30, 2014 6:52 pm

Hopefully as an appropriate extra if so.

admira

#386 Post by admira » Wed Feb 05, 2014 1:56 pm

Královský omyl (1968), dir. Oldřich Daněk

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set ... 910&type=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Ashirg

#387 Post by Ashirg » Wed Aug 20, 2014 5:48 pm

Films by Konstantin Lopushanskiy, especially Pisma myortvogo cheloveka (Letters from a Dead Man) (1986) and Posetitel muzeya (A Visitor to a Museum) (1989).

JimmyTango

#388 Post by JimmyTango » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:21 am

L’Inhumaine (1924) Marcel L'Herbier
A Page of Madness (1926) Teinosuke Kinugasa
Gardiens de phare (1929) Jean Gremillon
Die singende Stadt (1930) Carmine Gallone
Tavaszi zapor (1932) Paul Fejos
Ganga Bruta (1933) Humberto Mauro
Alyonka (1961) Boris Barnet
Der Rosenkonig (1986) Werner Schroeter
Boris Godounov (1989) Andrzej Zulawski

Albeit some of these are probably impossible.
Last edited by JimmyTango on Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

repeat

#389 Post by repeat » Thu Aug 21, 2014 5:50 am

Ashirg wrote:Films by Konstantin Lopushanskiy, especially Pisma myortvogo cheloveka (Letters from a Dead Man) (1986) and Posetitel muzeya (A Visitor to a Museum) (1989).
The Role was pretty good! I was skeptical at first, but the film had me convinced by the halfway mark. Probably more AE territory that Second Run though (haven't seen those earlier ones).

I wonder if SR have any plans for or interest in Turkish cinema (I don't think there's any in the collection yet)? Some choice Güney or Erksan would be a nice fit - or more recently, the films of Zeki Demirkubuz...

admira

#390 Post by admira » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:59 pm

Hrabě Drakula, Dir. Anna Procházková, 1970
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1235136/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://youtu.be/_-cSt8tRmqc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pasiáns, Dir. Jan Matějovský, 1969
http://www.vhu.cz/exhibit/film-pasians/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

admira

#391 Post by admira » Thu Aug 21, 2014 2:20 pm

Mučedníci lásky (Martyrs of Love), Dir. Jan Němec, 1966
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060718/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://youtu.be/-vLiZmtIazY" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

zedz

#392 Post by zedz » Thu Aug 21, 2014 6:40 pm

JimmyTango wrote: Der Rosenkonig (1986) Werner Schroeter
Edition Filmmuseum is methodically working its way through Schroeter's output (seven films already released), so this is likely to be forthcoming from them.

GaryC

#393 Post by GaryC » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:56 am

Stefan Andersson wrote:+1 Yeelen. One of my favorite African films, along with the equally impressive Yaaba.
I've just spotted this. Yeelen was released by Artificial Eye in UK cinemas in 1988. As I remember, they advertised it as The Light, and it had had a London Film Festival showing under the title Brightness. AE didn't release the film on VHS, let alone DVD, and I've no idea if they still have the rights. It would have BBFC issues though - it was cut for the cinema by 1:16, for reasons of animal cruelty, a chicken being sacrificed by being burned alive. If I remember rightly, the one TV showing on the BBC cut this too.

Yaaba had a UK cinema release from Recorded Releasing, who are now defunct, but also hasn't had a VHS or DVD release.

As for me, I'd like to see UK DVDs (I realise Second Run don't do Blu-rays as yet) of Margarethe von Trotta's Die bleierne Zeit (released as The German Sisters in UK cinemas, Marianne and Juliane in US cinemas - shown on Channel 4 in the 80s but never released on UK VHS or DVD), The Lacemaker (if Arrow don't still have the rights - they released it on VHS), and a brace of Bertrand Taverniers, Une semaine de vacances (not released on UK VHS) and Sunday in the Country (the latter being another Artificial Eye VHS but not DVD). I'm shamelessly listing films which had considerable personal significance to me during my 80s cinemagoing which don't have UK DVD/Blu-ray releases.

Also, I mentioned it in the Polish cinema thread so I'll do so again here - I wonder if Second Run would be interested in the more recent Polish film Rose (Róża), which so far has not had a UK release?

MichaelB

#394 Post by MichaelB » Fri Aug 22, 2014 5:15 am

GaryC wrote:I've just spotted this. Yeelen was released by Artificial Eye in UK cinemas in 1988. As I remember, they advertised it as The Light, and it had had a London Film Festival showing under the title Brightness.
It was definitely called Yeelen on its UK theatrical release. The English translation may have featured as a subtitle, but Yeelen was the primary title. I booked it a couple of times in rep in the early 1990s and never called it anything else.
Also, I mentioned it in the Polish cinema thread so I'll do so again here - I wonder if Second Run would be interested in the more recent Polish film Rose (Róża), which so far has not had a UK release?
It's available on both DVD and Blu-ray in Poland with English subtitles. Although I agree that Wojciech Smarzowski's work is ridiculously neglected in the UK - for my money, he's easily one of the strongest directors to emerge from Poland in the post-Communist period, but none of his five films has crossed over into any kind of mainstream distribution (although I think a couple played the independent Polish circuit that does the rounds of Cineworld cinemas).

That said, I believe Second Run does have a post-Communist Polish film on their upcoming slate...

repeat

#395 Post by repeat » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:32 am

My English isn't good enough to accurately convey how much I disliked Smarzowski's Drogówka, but I was kind of relieved to read in the Polish films thread that you found it one his weaker efforts (and for much the same reasons that put me off), so I'm not prepared to write him off quite yet - especially as his new film looks rather interesting! Maybe that might have a better chance with distributors, as the theme (alcoholism) seems slightly more universal than the rather specific historical and political subjects of his previous films. Have you managed to see it yet?

MichaelB

#396 Post by MichaelB » Fri Aug 22, 2014 7:45 am

I watched the first half hour, very late at night, and decided it was probably best viewed when I was less tired! And then it was confirmed as a Gdynia competition entry, so I thought I might as well wait to see it on the big screen next month.

But I was very impressed with what I saw.

newwavefilms

#397 Post by newwavefilms » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:59 pm

GaryC wrote:
Stefan Andersson wrote:+1 Yeelen. One of my favorite African films, along with the equally impressive Yaaba.
I've just spotted this. Yeelen was released by Artificial Eye in UK cinemas in 1988. As I remember, they advertised it as The Light, and it had had a London Film Festival showing under the title Brightness. AE didn't release the film on VHS, let alone DVD, and I've no idea if they still have the rights. It would have BBFC issues though - it was cut for the cinema by 1:16, for reasons of animal cruelty, a chicken being sacrificed by being burned alive. If I remember rightly, the one TV showing on the BBC cut this too.

Some 25 years later, now can't remember why Yeelen was not released on VHS. Must have been some contractual quirk as opposed to the unfortunate chicken. But in those unenlightened days African cinema (or at least Francophone African cinema) never sold on video - the bottom of the AE VHS titles was always occupied by Tilai. There was a French box set of 4 Cisse films on DVD- no English subtitles. Now OOP though, but luckily we got one from his niece.

Bikey

#398 Post by Bikey » Fri Aug 22, 2014 6:01 pm

repeat wrote:I wonder if SR have any plans for or interest in Turkish cinema (I don't think there's any in the collection yet)? Some choice Güney or Erksan would be a nice fit - or more recently, the films of Zeki Demirkubuz...
Güney, of course, but can't believe that you've mentioned Zeki Demirkubuz, repeat! We're trying... and will let you know if it transpires.

And our thanks to you all for your recent suggestions. We know and love many of the films you've mentioned, and wish we could release five times more than we do. It's great that you continue to support and communicate with us.

repeat

#399 Post by repeat » Sun Aug 24, 2014 2:08 am

Bikey, that is exciting news indeed! I owe my familiarity with Demirkubuz entirely to MUBI, which at least in Europe has a wonderful selection of Turkish films both old and new (probably having something to do with the founder being Turkish-born). Coming to his films for the first time, I was expecting/fearing hardcore miserabilist neorealism - which of course it is a way, but the filmmaking is so original and inventive, and works on so many levels; definitely a major underrated talent... It's baffling that his films haven't been released in the English-language world yet, but good to hear that Second Run is on the case!

There's an excellent little English-language book on his work, entitled Mental Minefields: the Dark Tales of Zeki Demirkubuz, with an annotated filmography, some essays (including a reprint of Olaf Möller's Film Comment piece on him), and an interview: it's available as free PDF download from the publisher's website).

What A Disgrace

#400 Post by What A Disgrace » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:48 am

They are currently OOP in the states. Any chance of releasing some of Otar Iosseliani's Georgian films?