Criterion and StudioCanal

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
eerik

Re: Out Of Print: StudioCanal Snatches It All Away

#976 Post by eerik » Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:58 pm

HTF has press sheets up for the new annoucements.

Tati set and The Vanishing have Studiocanal logos. What's up with that? I understand SC's involvement in Tati collection but do they own The Vanishing? If so then how was Criterion able to license it?

Werewolf by Night

#977 Post by Werewolf by Night » Wed Jul 16, 2014 2:49 pm

eerik wrote:Tati set and The Vanishing have Studiocanal logos. What's up with that? I understand SC's involvement in Tati collection but do they own The Vanishing? If so then how was Criterion able to license it?
It may be that, while Criterion/Janus have US distribution rights, StudioCanal owns the elements and/or made the HD transfer.

Yaanu

#978 Post by Yaanu » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:44 pm

Werewolf by Night wrote:
eerik wrote:Tati set and The Vanishing have Studiocanal logos. What's up with that? I understand SC's involvement in Tati collection but do they own The Vanishing? If so then how was Criterion able to license it?
It may be that, while Criterion/Janus have US distribution rights, StudioCanal owns the elements and/or made the HD transfer.
If that's the case, it might also explain how LA HAINE has survived for so long without being put OOP.

FrauBlucher

#979 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:23 pm

It still calls into question why Lionsagate has not released anything in the US from Studio Canal for what seems like years.

Correct me if I'm but was their agreement extended?

criterion10

#980 Post by criterion10 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:26 pm

FrauBlucher wrote:Correct me if I'm but was their agreement extended?
It was extended a little over two years ago.

rrenault

#981 Post by rrenault » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:33 pm

According to that article, Studio Canal owns Rules of the Game. Should we hold on tight?

FrauBlucher

#982 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:39 pm

This whole thing confuses me. Who has rights, who doesn't, are there other factors (like with the Tati films), are third and fourth parties involved? Jeez, like trying to figure out the secrets of the universe. ](*,)
Last edited by FrauBlucher on Sat Jul 19, 2014 2:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

rrenault

#983 Post by rrenault » Sat Jul 19, 2014 1:56 pm

Well Rialto was one such third party in certain cases.

rrenault

#984 Post by rrenault » Mon Aug 04, 2014 3:48 am

Or maybe Studio Canal simply caved like Warner Bros. did when licensing Badlands to CC, sort of like an "ah f**k it" moment.

ianungstad

#985 Post by ianungstad » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:18 pm

According to MMM:

Foreign Correspondent
The Leopard
Babette's Feast (dvd)

Criterion has already announced new dvd and blu editions of Foreign Correspondent. (ditching the dual format). The Leopard is dropping the digipack and the plastic case edition is solicited for release on Nov.4th. Not sure what's going on with Babette's Feast. The dvd is listed as discontinued but the blu is listed as available.

FrauBlucher

#987 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Aug 27, 2014 6:41 am

ianungstad wrote:According to MMM:

Foreign Correspondent
The Leopard
Babette's Feast (dvd)

Criterion has already announced new dvd and blu editions of Foreign Correspondent. (ditching the dual format). The Leopard is dropping the digipack and the plastic case edition is solicited for release on Nov.4th. Not sure what's going on with Babette's Feast. The dvd is listed as discontinued but the blu is listed as available.
That's probably why Amazon is running half off sales on many if not all the dual formats.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#988 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:59 am

Amazon is just price-matching Best Buy which has almost all Criterions on sale for half off

What A Disgrace

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#989 Post by What A Disgrace » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:30 am

Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie is a Studio Canal property, so it isn't going back in print any time soon, if at all.

dwk

#990 Post by dwk » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:49 pm

Man, if this is some kind of joke, then the person running Criterion's instagram is a total dick: http://instagram.com/p/tMAs6fyzdr/?modal=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bando

#991 Post by Bando » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:17 pm

dwk wrote:Man, if this is some kind of joke, then the person running Criterion's instagram is a total dick: http://instagram.com/p/tMAs6fyzdr/?modal=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
No new wacky C in the corner, no old Criterion header, and doesn't match the poster they sell in the Criterion store, either (no Rialto or Janus logos on the bottom).

Yet being spine #1, if they were somehow rereleasing/upgrading it, I tend to think maybe they'd keep the old coverart. It's probably one of the best from the early releases.

Interesting to say the least.

FrauBlucher

#992 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:20 pm

And confusing to say the least. When I see things like this it has to call into question the Studio Canal/Lionsgate relationship.

Red Screamer

#993 Post by Red Screamer » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:28 pm

dwk wrote:Man, if this is some kind of joke, then the person running Criterion's instagram is a total dick: http://instagram.com/p/tMAs6fyzdr/?modal=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't think it's a joke, that account has been giving some pretty huge hints recently. This is great news (if one can call it that)

FakeBonanza

#994 Post by FakeBonanza » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:38 pm

It would make sense that we'd get this soon, since I just ordered the Studio Canal-Lionsgate blu.

I wonder what the slackening of the Studio Canal licenses could mean for the future. I just watched The Fallen Idol last night, and was pretty crushed to find that it is OOP.

FrauBlucher

#995 Post by FrauBlucher » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:41 pm

Hopefully, someone will ask Kim at the Wexner Talks about what's going with Studio Canal titles.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#996 Post by jindianajonz » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:21 pm

Is there any way to check when the photo was taken through metadata or something?

Noiradelic

#997 Post by Noiradelic » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:54 pm

I'm skeptical. The Lionsgate Blu is in print, only 2 years old and the PQ has gotten rave reviews. Maybe a Renoir box ala Tati? (Just grasping blindly here.)

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#998 Post by domino harvey » Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:58 pm

The idiotic move to DVD-R on Lionsgate's part could be part of a larger deal with Criterion to relicense with the condition of their own barebones releases being available via LG (See Fox's recent releases of Criterion licensees on MOD DVD-Rs while the Crits stay in print)

Jeff

#999 Post by Jeff » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:33 pm

Between this, the Tati box, and The Vanishing, something is clearly afoot with Criterion and StudioCanal. Those Ran and Contempt Criterion blu-rays that seemingly slipped through our fingers could finally see the light of day.

Lowry_Sam

#1000 Post by Lowry_Sam » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:53 pm

Something's wrong with Studio Canal's US distribution, after the initial 4 blu rays in 2010 & 1 in 2012, there's been nothing, not a peep. Also, Kino announced last year that they were releasing Orson Welles' The Trial (on Studio Canal blu ray in UK & FR) & I thought I recall seeing a product page on Amazon....however now all reference to it has disappeared even from Kino's own website.

BTW, the few blu rays they did release in the US have been discounted to under $15 on B&N and Amazon in the past year (list price seems to be the same, they just always seem to be on sale....).