How Now Brown Blu-rays

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
captveg

Re: How Now Brown Blu-rays

#326 Post by captveg » Fri Oct 03, 2014 3:10 pm

Yeah, I'll probably wait until they clarify Howards End and add Monterey Pop to the list.

christopher_NOBODY

#327 Post by christopher_NOBODY » Fri Oct 03, 2014 7:48 pm

http://www.criterion.com/current/posts/ ... tive-discs" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; Here it is. It seems as though they will replace Pierrot and Howard's End unless I'm missing something.

Torrente

#328 Post by Torrente » Fri Oct 03, 2014 9:27 pm

I'm very anxious about this issue.
I have problems with most of the discs from the 'regular' list but also discovered that some others from my collection are faulty (Christmas Tales, Ride withe the Devil, Days of Heaven).
I wrote to Jon to see what they could do about that especially since I live in France.
That's strange they didn't talk about foreign customers and I pray for them to ship the replacements to my place but I doubt it :(

Forrest Taft

#329 Post by Forrest Taft » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:50 am

I'm a foreign customer, as I pointed out in my e-mail to Criterion, and I got the replacement info in a Mulvaney-penned e-mail yesterday, so I'm fairly certain they will ship replacements internationally!

DeprongMori

#330 Post by DeprongMori » Sat Oct 04, 2014 6:34 pm

Question for you all: From my first viewing of PARIS TEXAS on Criterion Blu I had noticed a slow pulsing and drift of the blacks in two scenes -- in the laundromat lobby on the road where Travis and his son catch a night's sleep, and the second (I think) scene in the peep show booth. It looks like an amoeba moving across the lower portion of the screen, mostly lower right. I've never seen this problem with any other Criterion disc, so researched and asked in various fora at the time. I think one other person had noticed it.

Now that it's in the list of "bronzing discs", I'll have to go back and check the codes on the inner ring against those of my affected SUMMER HOURS and WALKABOUT. It might just be the beginnings of disc breakdown. Curious if anyone else has seen this issue. I'm still trying to determine whether it is an artifact of the mastering or original source materials, or a deteriorating disc.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#331 Post by domino harvey » Mon Oct 06, 2014 12:09 am

According to a commentor on the Blu-ray.com site:
The problem titles seem to have been made by Sonopress. They have IFPI codes of L021 or LB42 on the inner rings of the data side. They're very small and you'll probably need a magnifying glass to spot them (let alone read them).
EDIT: This doesn't appear to be accurate though: My Summer Hours is IFPI 10K7

fdm

#332 Post by fdm » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:24 am

Last I read, the 10K* code was more pertinent to where the disc was manufactured/pressed while the L0*/LB* codes had more to do with who did the mastering. So the 10K* code seemed like the one to pay attention to. But that was a few days ago now, so there could be more better information since...

captveg

#333 Post by captveg » Mon Oct 06, 2014 2:25 pm

Decided to send mine in (M, Howards End, Monterey Pop). Not 100% sure they will be able to replace Howards End still, but since it wouldn't load whatsoever I'm not really losing anything by sending it in now. Monterey Pop isn't on the list yet but I'm pretty confident Criterion will make good on replacing it once they see the disc is clearly problematic.

chatterjees

#334 Post by chatterjees » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:23 pm

I will be sending only Howards End and Walkabout. The rest of that list are just working fine for me and no discoloration too. can I send my BD of Eraserhead now with them, or should I just wait?

captveg

#335 Post by captveg » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:33 pm

chatterjees wrote:I will be sending only Howards End and Walkabout. The rest of that list are just working fine for me and no discoloration too. can I send my BD of Eraserhead now with them, or should I just wait?
Just send them together and explain the different exchanges in a brief printed out letter. They'll probably appreciate having one package instead of two.

jindianajonz
Jindiana Jonz Abrams

#336 Post by jindianajonz » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:44 pm

Is there a list of all the different recalls Criterion has had? I feel like there were one or two before Eraserhead that I had been meaning to get replaced, but never got around to it.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#337 Post by Drucker » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:54 pm

A few of them, including White I believe, had issues with surround mixes. Having a stereo-only system, this also didn't affect or bother me.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#338 Post by swo17 » Mon Oct 06, 2014 3:55 pm

Carlos had a similar issue.

chatterjees

#339 Post by chatterjees » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:05 pm

L’eclisse too.

chatterjees

#340 Post by chatterjees » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:09 pm

I guess they are really overwhelmed by the burden of defective discs that they forgot about the Oct 50% sale.

c0bbz

#341 Post by c0bbz » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:24 pm

It's almost always on a Tuesday, I think. If it happens, I reckon it happens tomorrow.

EddieLarkin

#342 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Oct 06, 2014 4:46 pm

Drucker wrote:A few of them, including White I believe, had issues with surround mixes. Having a stereo-only system, this also didn't affect or bother me.
Yes it did. The problem with the White disc was that the 2.0 Surround track had been encoded dual mono. So you're not just missing out on the surround effects but the front stereo effects as well. You were misinformed in the Three Colors thread, I'm afraid.

The problem with Carlos is the left rear channel is missing on Disc 2. This too affects people using a 2.0 system because usually the data reserved for the left rear channel gets downmixed into the front channels for you to hear. That's obviously not going to happen on the original Carlos disc.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#343 Post by Drucker » Mon Oct 06, 2014 5:11 pm

EddieLarkin wrote:
Drucker wrote:A few of them, including White I believe, had issues with surround mixes. Having a stereo-only system, this also didn't affect or bother me.
Yes it did. The problem with the White disc was that the 2.0 Surround track had been encoded dual mono. So you're not just missing out on the surround effects but the front stereo effects as well. You were misinformed in the Three Colors thread, I'm afraid.

The problem with Carlos is the left rear channel is missing on Disc 2. This too affects people using a 2.0 system because usually the data reserved for the left rear channel gets downmixed into the front channels for you to hear. That's obviously not going to happen on the original Carlos disc.
Ouch so just listening to the audio in the regular 2.0 track is messed up?

EddieLarkin

#344 Post by EddieLarkin » Mon Oct 06, 2014 6:05 pm

Yes, there's nothing regular about the 2.0 track on the original White disc; really it's more accurate to describe it as 1.0 encoded across both channels.

I imagine you are getting all of the audio, but any part of the soundtrack that is only supposed to be coming from the left will in fact come from both speakers, and any part of the soundtrack that is only supposed to be coming from the right will also come from both speakers. So you lose all directionality. Also, the music in particular is going to sound less full in mono than it does in true stereo, or in other words, not like the director and composer intended.

manicsounds

#345 Post by manicsounds » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:09 am

So far, my "Walkabout" disc is the only one that looks brown and freezes halfway through. Tried playing "Seventh Seal", "Paris Texas" and they look fine and play back fine. (Haven't tried playback of the other discs in the list) But they only want customers to mail in the ones that are clearly defective, right? Shouldn't send all the affected titles in the list, just in case they start to go back in the future?

Bruce

#346 Post by Bruce » Tue Oct 07, 2014 4:59 am

So far, my "Walkabout" disc is the only one that looks brown and freezes halfway through. Tried playing "Seventh Seal", "Paris Texas" and they look fine and play back fine. (Haven't tried playback of the other discs in the list) But they only want customers to mail in the ones that are clearly defective, right? Shouldn't send all the affected titles in the list, just in case they start to go back in the future?
I have a similar situation. My Walkabout disc is clearly bronzed and freezes at about 50', but my Paris Texas and Howard's End discs look OK and seem to play OK at the moment. So I've just sent the Walkabout disc back. I'm assuming that their replacement policy is open-ended, so that they will replace any other discs that go bad in future.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#347 Post by swo17 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 10:40 am

manicsounds wrote:But they only want customers to mail in the ones that are clearly defective, right? Shouldn't send all the affected titles in the list, just in case they start to go back in the future?
Yes, it's only a small percentage of each title that are affected. You should verify that you have a bad disc before you send it back.
Bruce wrote:I'm assuming that their replacement policy is open-ended, so that they will replace any other discs that go bad in future.
Yes, they've always replaced discs that have gone bad in the past, and will continue to do so in the future.

manicsounds

#348 Post by manicsounds » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:31 am

It's just that I'm going to New York tomorrow, thought I'd just drop them off at their doorstep, and hopefully get some replacement discs from the closet....

jedgeco

#349 Post by jedgeco » Tue Oct 07, 2014 11:51 am

manicsounds wrote:It's just that I'm going to New York tomorrow, thought I'd just drop them off at their doorstep, and hopefully get some replacement discs from the closet....
Make sure you post your video on Facebook!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#350 Post by swo17 » Tue Oct 07, 2014 12:05 pm

manicsounds wrote:It's just that I'm going to New York tomorrow, thought I'd just drop them off at their doorstep, and hopefully get some replacement discs from the closet....
OK, but just take a few minutes to fast forward through your discs first to see if they even need replacing. Criterion is taking enough of a hit on this as it is just dealing with legitimately bad product.