Steve Jobs (Danny Boyle, 2015)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Steve Jobs (Danny Boyle, 2015)

#1 Post by domino harvey » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:29 pm

Aaron Sorkin confirms Christian Bale will be in the Danny Boyle-directed Steve Jobs pic -- everything about this project makes it sound like Sorkin's magnum opus: ninety minutes of straight up people just talking to each other extremely quickly in real time

warren oates

Re: New Films in Production, v.2

#2 Post by warren oates » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:34 pm

Yeah, too bad it's Danny Boyle directing. He's pretty much the least likely person to get something like this right. He never saw a narrative, especially a minimal one, that didn't, for him, somehow demand a much more baroque visual style than it could bear. I expect a Steadicam shot that goes into Steve Jobs' brain.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: New Films in Production, v.2

#3 Post by domino harvey » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:37 pm

Seeing as how the script is so straight-forward (three sets, three scenes, no flashbacks or other tricks/cheats and everything in real-time), maybe Boyle is taking it on to expand beyond his hyperkinetic current methodology. I can't imagine Sorkin would back any director no matter how big that'd wreck the wonderfully simple premise of the film he's written

hearthesilence

Re: Untitled Aaron Sorkin Steve Jobs Pic (Danny Boyle, 201X)

#5 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:37 pm

I can still remember my enthusiasm when Fincher was slated to direct this….my God, how things have changed.

Jeff

#6 Post by Jeff » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:58 am

If Fincher was still directing, it might work. He'd never let Rogen smoke weed on set, and would punch him in the face every time he started giggling.

This role has Jonah Hill written all over it.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#7 Post by domino harvey » Mon Nov 03, 2014 3:30 pm

The writing's on the wall after all that Rogen talk and Bale bails

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#8 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 4:45 pm

Could someone explain to me how Seth Rogen doesn't deserve the same opportunity to stretch his acting legs that Jonah Hill got (and ran with)?

Professor Wagstaff

#9 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:06 pm

While not fan, I'm also unsure why Rogen is a toxic choice for this film, especially when the last Jobs movie cast the mostly insufferable Josh Gad in the part (his Book of Mormon work being the exception in his career). Boyle seems like the more problematic player in this project given his overdirecting and hyper-editing style which I'd guess is wholly inappropriate for a dialogue-driven Sorkin script. Fincher seemed like the best choice based on how The Social Network could meld rich visual storytelling with the screenwriter's trademark repartee.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#10 Post by mfunk9786 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 5:10 pm

I would have to agree that Boyle is a puzzling pick for this film, and perhaps he and Bale weren't seeing eye-to-eye on the approach. But I remain unconvinced that the structure of Sorkin's script is all that interesting, so. I suppose time will tell.

flyonthewall2983

#13 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Tue Nov 04, 2014 10:22 pm

I can kind of see it. Short of being a different gender or of an ethnic background, does it really matter if the actor cast looks like the person he's playing?

Roger Ryan

#14 Post by Roger Ryan » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:11 am

flyonthewall2983 wrote:I can kind of see it. Short of being a different gender or of an ethnic background, does it really matter if the actor cast looks like the person he's playing?
Given how successfully this actor and this actor both played Bob Dylan, I don't think even gender or ethnicity should be a barrier!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#15 Post by domino harvey » Wed Nov 05, 2014 9:23 am

Now Cate Blanchett as Jobs, that I'd suffer through Rogen for!

knives

#16 Post by knives » Wed Nov 05, 2014 1:08 pm

Tilda Swinton for every role.

hearthesilence

#18 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Nov 20, 2014 12:31 am

Something morbid about pairing that headline ("Steve Jobs Movie DEAD….") with a photo of an emaciated Steve Jobs in black.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#20 Post by Drucker » Wed Nov 26, 2014 4:32 pm

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#21 Post by mfunk9786 » Tue Dec 09, 2014 6:42 pm

Gawker has a timeline of the leaked e-mails re: this project that is surely more entertaining than the film ever would have wound up to be
Scott Rudin on doing a $180 million Angelina Jolie [b]Cleopatra[/b] film that she wanted David Fincher to direct instead of [b]Jobs[/b] wrote:I'm not destroying my career over a minimally talented spoiled brat who thought nothing of shoving this off her plate for eighteen months so she could go direct a movie. I have no desire to be making a movie with her, or anybody, that she runs and that we don't. She's a camp event and a celebrity and that's all and the last thing anybody needs is to make a giant bomb with her that any fool could see coming.

Swift

#22 Post by Swift » Wed Dec 10, 2014 3:37 pm

Hmm, I'm not sure Fassbender was channeling Cary Grant in Inglourious Basterds.

hearthesilence

#23 Post by hearthesilence » Wed Dec 10, 2014 4:08 pm

I know, seriously, if that's how they gauge a film, it makes you wonder if any great films they manage to make during their careers was accidental.

jsteffe

#24 Post by jsteffe » Wed Dec 10, 2014 5:46 pm

Scott Rudin on doing a $180 million Angelina Jolie [b]Cleopatra[/b] film that she wanted David Fincher to direct instead of [b]Jobs[/b] wrote:I'm not destroying my career over a minimally talented spoiled brat who thought nothing of shoving this off her plate for eighteen months so she could go direct a movie. I have no desire to be making a movie with her, or anybody, that she runs and that we don't. She's a camp event and a celebrity and that's all and the last thing anybody needs is to make a giant bomb with her that any fool could see coming.
Scott Rudin is by far the more pithy and talented email writer of the two. This would make a great bit of dialogue in a Hollywood exposé comedy.

Movie-Brat

#25 Post by Movie-Brat » Wed Dec 10, 2014 6:55 pm

The whole email exchange would be perfect for a Coen Brothers film.