Avatar and the Avatar Cadence (James Cameron, 2009-2028)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
criterion10

Re: Avatar (James Cameron, 2009)

#376 Post by criterion10 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 12:48 pm

As much as I am a pessimist, I am also a realist, and so I honestly don't see the day coming about where all cinema, or entertainment, will be in 3-D.

I personally don't care for 3-D at all, and if Cameron likes the medium and wants to further advance its technological capabilities, I have no problem with that, as long as it doesn't affect my viewing habits. I don't know why he's so intent on having 3-D downright replace standard 2-D storytelling. It's quite irritating, and slowly making me value him less and less as a filmmaker.

Matt

#377 Post by Matt » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:48 pm

It's been a while since I read my Bazin, but wasn't he already saying 50 years ago that cinema would eventually be completely immersive?

flyonthewall2983

#378 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:26 am

mfunk9786 wrote:Wow. Looks like it'll be a big payday for this guy
Nope

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#379 Post by domino harvey » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:23 pm

Movie-Brat

#380 Post by Movie-Brat » Thu Nov 27, 2014 2:49 am

I imagine his answering machine message is akin to this?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DrXqPIFsZSI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

hearthesilence

#381 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:35 am

domino harvey wrote:Cameron sez the Avatar sequels will be "bitchin" and "You will shit yourself with your mouth wide open"
That quote, language and all, pretty much says everything you need to know about him as a filmmaker.

flyonthewall2983

#382 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:40 pm

It's weird because he used to be a bit more intelligent with his sound bytes, or at least appeared to come off that way.

colinr0380

#383 Post by colinr0380 » Thu Nov 27, 2014 1:44 pm

That's quite a claim given that the third Human Centipede film will presumably be out around the same tme.

hearthesilence

#385 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Jan 07, 2016 10:13 am

Not true - they forced 3D and digital projectors into all theaters, thus gauging most viewer goers at the box office from here on out over a useless, expensive, unwanted gimmick.

aox

#386 Post by aox » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:11 am

I don't remember a single scene from the entire film. It certainly didn't have a "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.", "forget it Jake, it's Chinatown", "May the force be with you", or "Hasta la vista, baby" moment.

Werewolf by Night

#387 Post by Werewolf by Night » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:30 am

I didn't see the movie, but I remember this scene.

bearcuborg

#388 Post by bearcuborg » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:33 am

hearthesilence wrote:Not true - they forced 3D and digital projectors into all theaters, thus gauging most viewer goers at the box office from here on out over a useless, expensive, unwanted gimmick.
No one is forced to see a movie in 3D, films were going digital with or without Avatar, and Hollywood had already been doing "modern" 3D stuff before Cameron.

Polar Express in 3D was a blast. I also dug Hugo, TS Spivet and the 3D of Avatar. If it fits the movie I don't mind it, plus I'm a lifelong photography nut...

That said, like AOX, I don't remember a single thing about the film, nor will I likely see the sequels.

Murdoch

#389 Post by Murdoch » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:41 am

hearthesilence wrote:Not true - they forced 3D and digital projectors into all theaters, thus gauging most viewer goers at the box office from here on out over a useless, expensive, unwanted gimmick.
That's actually stated almost verbatim in the article. I think the author meant more in terms of its cultural cache. It may have grossed billions, but it's fans are far less existent nowadays when compared to the most ardent fandoms.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#390 Post by Drucker » Thu Jan 07, 2016 11:43 am

aox wrote:I don't remember a single scene from the entire film. It certainly didn't have a "Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.", "forget it Jake, it's Chinatown", "May the force be with you", or "Hasta la vista, baby" moment.
And Cameron himself is also responsible for dozens of classic moments from his earlier films!

hearthesilence

#391 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:20 pm

bearcuborg wrote:No one is forced to see a movie in 3D, films were going digital with or without Avatar, and Hollywood had already been doing "modern" 3D stuff before Cameron.
That's not entirely true. During the holiday break, I kept hearing people over and over again complain that they had to buy tickets to a 3D screening of Star Wars because most theaters (at least here in the NYC) chose to run those far more times than the 2D screenings. Hell, I remember going to see the Avengers (a film I had no interest in) and everyone in my entire group having to buy 3D tickets because that was the only one screening at the AMC multiplex we went to in Chicago. They don't have to put a gun to your head to push you into buying a 3D ticket, theaters can book accordingly and leave little choice for the ticket buyer.

And the 3D stuff before Cameron was a joke and certainly NOT ubiquitous - another friend, a huge Superman fan, wanted to check out Superman Returns in 3D and we had to go out of our way to the one screen in Chicago that played it. We were one of maybe ten people in the audience at an evening screening. It would've remained an obscure novelty if it wasn't for Avatar.

who is bobby dylan

#392 Post by who is bobby dylan » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:21 pm

I'll bite. Can people, really not remember anything from Avatar?

I've only seen Avatar once and that was five years ago during its theatrical release. Sam Worthington plays Jake Sully. He's drafter into a mission meant for his twin brother following his brother's death. Zoe Saldana is the love interest. Giovani Rabisi is an evil capitalist. Stephen Lang is an evil imperialist with scars on his face. Sigourney Weaver is a good hearted scientist on the side of the natives. Michelle Rodriguez is a military grunt who defects to the native's side and gets killed during the aerial battle at the end. Worthington double crosses Lang by siding with the Na'vi, Lang double crosses him by using him as a spy. The scientist rescue Sully and set him free to warn the Na'vi. Sigourney Weaver's character gets wounded and the Na'vi are unable to resurrect her in her Avatar. The natives have to prepare for battle by bringing all of their warring tribes together. The bad guys destroy the native's tree of life. There is a large aerial battle, during which Sully's Na'vi rival in love for Saldana dies. The final fight is a confrontation between Lang (wearing a mech suit) and Sully. A dangerous predator (the Pandora equivalent of a black panther) intervenes and is killed by Lang. Sully gains the upper hand and with Saldana's help kills Lang. They send the surviving soldiers defeated back to Earth. In the end Sully's mind/spirit is transferred into his Avatar. Other stuff, all the creatures on Pandora can connect to each other. There's a floating island. They use their avatars to play basketball.
Last edited by who is bobby dylan on Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hearthesilence

#393 Post by hearthesilence » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:22 pm

Murdoch wrote:
That's actually stated almost verbatim in the article. I think the author meant more in terms of its cultural cache. It may have grossed billions, but it's fans are far less existent nowadays when compared to the most ardent fandoms.
That's what I get for posting before reading the whole article.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#394 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:23 pm

who is bobby dylan wrote:I'll bite. Can people, really not remember anything from Avatar?
I remember Giovanni Ribisi stroking his mustache and twirling his cape before killing Little Nell and Bambi's mother

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#395 Post by swo17 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:26 pm

All I remember about Avatar is that it's the one movie that I've made a conscious effort to illegally download and then watch on a phone.

Trees

#396 Post by Trees » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:30 pm

I remember this guy drinking coffee while he was blowing stuff up.

Shrew
The Untamed One

#397 Post by Shrew » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:36 pm

This may fall more in the "Movie Theater Experiences" thread, but the theater I saw it in screwed up and played 10 seconds of L'il Wayne's "Lollipop" over the speakers during Angry Space Marine General's first scene. That was memorable.

But if nothing else, it did give us the lasting cultural gift of "unobtainium".

knives

#398 Post by knives » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:41 pm

Shrew wrote: But if nothing else, it did give us the lasting cultural gift of "unobtainium".
Which was a joke in sci-fi circles for at least a few years before the movie meaning it just popularized the joke.

beamish13

#399 Post by beamish13 » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:52 pm

Sure. I recall it being almost identical to the 1992 animated film Ferngully: The Last Rainforest (which is also distributed by Fox), albeit with a sci-fi as opposed to fantasy bent.

Also, Sam Worthington is one of those horrid actors whom studios seemingly pick at random based on their headshot and try to make as ubiquitous as possible despite their total lack of charisma, talent and name bankability (see also Colin Farrell).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#400 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 07, 2016 12:53 pm

No, see Jai Courtney or Chris Pine (literally the blandest human beings alive). Ferngully is awesome though, why couldn't that be the biggest film of all time?