Unbroken (Angelina Jolie, 2014)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
The Narrator Returns

Unbroken (Angelina Jolie, 2014)

#1 Post by The Narrator Returns » Wed Jan 01, 2014 1:16 am

And then there's Unbroken, the second film by Angelina Jolie, but before you run away, it's also written and edited by the Coen Brothers, and shot by Roger Deakins, which means all you need to do is leave before the director's credit comes out, and it will be a triumphant follow-up to Inside Llewyn Davis.

rohming

Re: The Films of 2014

#2 Post by rohming » Mon Jan 13, 2014 9:53 pm

The Narrator Returns wrote:And then there's Unbroken, the second film by Angelina Jolie, but before you run away, it's also written and edited by the Coen Brothers, and shot by Roger Deakins, which means all you need to do is leave before the director's credit comes out, and it will be a triumphant follow-up to Inside Llewyn Davis.
Seriously? :shock:

The Narrator Returns

#3 Post by The Narrator Returns » Mon Jan 13, 2014 11:08 pm

rohming wrote:
The Narrator Returns wrote:And then there's Unbroken, the second film by Angelina Jolie, but before you run away, it's also written and edited by the Coen Brothers, and shot by Roger Deakins, which means all you need to do is leave before the director's credit comes out, and it will be a triumphant follow-up to Inside Llewyn Davis.
Okay, the Wikipedia article was updated, and they just wrote it. But still, Deakins and Coens are back together! That's a plus, right?

sorrysomehow

#4 Post by sorrysomehow » Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:16 pm

The Narrator Returns wrote:
rohming wrote:
Okay, the Wikipedia article was updated, and they just wrote it. But still, Deakins and Coens are back together! That's a plus, right?
Not sure if you were under the impression that they had "broken up", but I thought I'd clarify that just in case you were :) . In this month's issue of ASC magazine one of the Coens mentioned that the only reason Deakins didn't shoot Inside Llewyn Davis was because he was in the middle of working on another film (can't remember if it was Prisoners or Unbroken). If my memory serves, it's not their first film Deakins didn't shoot; I believe Emmanuel Lubezki lensed Burn After Reading, for example.

flyonthewall2983

#5 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:38 pm

sorrysomehow wrote:In this month's issue of ASC magazine one of the Coens mentioned that the only reason Deakins didn't shoot Inside Llewyn Davis was because he was in the middle of working on another film (can't remember if it was Prisoners or Unbroken).
It was Skyfall. One of them said in the documentary about the film airing on Showtime that the shoot for that went into overtime and he wasn't able to lens Inside Llewyn Davis.

Professor Wagstaff

Re: Trailers for Upcoming Films

#7 Post by Professor Wagstaff » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:25 pm

The Coen Brothers, Richard LaGravenese, and William Nicholson are such an odd collection of talented screenwriters to see attached to one movie. I'd love to know what portion each contributed to the finished project.

The Narrator Returns

#8 Post by The Narrator Returns » Thu Jul 10, 2014 2:41 pm

The Narrator Returns wrote:Trailer for Unbroken, the new Coen Brothers-Roger Deakins collaboration, with Angelina Jolie too, I guess
Well, it looks nice. And... it looks nice.
New trailer for Unbroken confirms our suspicions that yes, it does look nice.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Unbroken (Angelina Jolie, 2014)

#9 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 10, 2014 7:33 pm

Fookin' Cook from Skins is now a Hollywood leading man? Amazing

Jeff

#10 Post by Jeff » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:11 pm

The Narrator Returns wrote:New trailer for Unbroken confirms our suspicions that yes, it does look nice.
Either they've done a supercut of the most hackneyed dialog for the trailer or the Coens are playing an elaborate joke on Jolie.

It does look nice though.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#11 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:18 pm

Don't kid yourself, you're looking at next year's Best Picture

knives

#12 Post by knives » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:21 pm

Jeff wrote:
The Narrator Returns wrote:New trailer for Unbroken confirms our suspicions that yes, it does look nice.
Either they've done a supercut of the most hackneyed dialog for the trailer or the Coens are playing an elaborate joke on Jolie.

Between this and Gambit I suspect that it is more along the lines that most directors do not get the rhythm of their dialogue.

The Narrator Returns

#13 Post by The Narrator Returns » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:25 pm

domino harvey wrote:Don't kid yourself, you're looking at next year's Best Picture
Literally the only reason I'm hoping for that is the increased likelihood of a Deakins win for Cinematography.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#14 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 10, 2014 8:32 pm

On principle I am rooting for any former cast member of Skins to be nominated or win acting awards, so I am not necessarily pulling for it as much as I am for O'Connell

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#15 Post by domino harvey » Mon Dec 01, 2014 8:28 pm

Middling critical reaction suggests this may not be as big an Oscar player as many were predicting-- it's laughable how sure so many pundits on GoldDerby were that this was going to win everything, but at least now we know the last Oscar film question mark and can start the real predix

The Narrator Returns

#17 Post by The Narrator Returns » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:38 pm

Jeff wrote:Either they've done a supercut of the most hackneyed dialog for the trailer or the Coens are playing an elaborate joke on Jolie.

I've seen it, and yes, it does looks nice. But I can't even get excited about Deakins' work here, because everything around it was a slog and a half. No amount of pretty pictures can enliven an experience which feels like two straight hours of watching the protagonist get beaten over and over and over and over... If I see a worse movie released this year than Unbroken, I would be very surprised.

(And I would not be surprised if the Coens were playing a joke on Angelina Jolie, because this movie is devoid of even the most general and superficial Coen Brothers trademarks.)

(Also, dom, I'm sad to say that Jack O'Connell is nothing special here, the same with everyone else in this movie's large cast. I need to watch Skins and Starred Up to get me on the Jack O'Connell hype train with everyone else.)

TMDaines

#18 Post by TMDaines » Mon Dec 29, 2014 6:46 am

The Narrator Returns wrote:(Also, dom, I'm sad to say that Jack O'Connell is nothing special here, the same with everyone else in this movie's large cast. I need to watch Skins and Starred Up to get me on the Jack O'Connell hype train with everyone else.)
I'd go watch '71, which is a brilliant straight-up thriller in a war setting.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#19 Post by domino harvey » Wed Mar 25, 2015 7:40 pm

Religious stores are getting a special edition of the film with 90 minutes of exclusive extras focusing on the real-life figure's conversion to Christianity