Criterion and StudioCanal

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

Re: Out Of Print: StudioCanal Snatches It All Away

#1001 Post by Drucker » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:19 pm

Lowry_Sam wrote:Something's wrong with Studio Canal's US distribution, after the initial 4 blu rays in 2010 & 1 in 2012, there's been nothing, not a peep. Also, Kino announced last year that they were releasing Orson Welles' The Trial (on Studio Canal blu ray in UK & FR) & I thought I recall seeing a product page on Amazon....however now all reference to it has disappeared even from Kino's own website.
This was probably a typo, and should've been The Stranger. The announcement was posted at around the same time. And it was only posted on blu-ray.com I believe.

Ashirg

Re: Criterion and StudioCanal

#1002 Post by Ashirg » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:47 pm

I don't think Studio Canal owns The Trial in US - their disc is only coded for region B. Mr. Doros from Milestone Video may have an insight who owns it now after their license expired.

David M.

#1003 Post by David M. » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:50 pm

Isn't THE TRIAL public domain?

fdm

#1004 Post by fdm » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:21 am

Lowry_Sam wrote:Something's wrong with Studio Canal's US distribution, after the initial 4 blu rays in 2010 & 1 in 2012, there's been nothing, not a peep. Also, Kino announced last year that they were releasing Orson Welles' The Trial (on Studio Canal blu ray in UK & FR) & I thought I recall seeing a product page on Amazon....however now all reference to it has disappeared even from Kino's own website.

BTW, the few blu rays they did release in the US have been discounted to under $15 on B&N and Amazon in the past year (list price seems to be the same, they just always seem to be on sale....).
Circa 2007/8, Lionsgate release a few dvd sets of various actors (Delon, Bardot, Deneuve) and directors (Hitchcock, Téchiné, Godard, Renoir, Bunuel, Rossellini). Those fizzled out pretty quickly too. Most, if not all, of those were Studio Canal also.

jedgeco

Re: Forthcoming Lists Discussion and Random Speculation Vol.

#1005 Post by jedgeco » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:08 am

Superswede11 wrote:
dwk wrote:Man, if this is some kind of joke, then the person running Criterion's instagram is a total dick: http://instagram.com/p/tMAs6fyzdr/?modal=true" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't think it's a joke, that account has been giving some pretty huge hints recently. This is great news (if one can call it that)
Hopefully the "work" here isn't just throwing unusable art samples into the trash fire ...

captveg

#1006 Post by captveg » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:16 pm

I wouldn't be surprised if StudioCanal discovered what Paramount did when Lionsgate licensed the Republic library - Lionsgate has a bizarre habit of licensing libraries and doing the bare minimum with them. SC could certainly feel that the lack of product and promotion by LG has hurt their brand, and realizes that Criterion - despite not having a SC Collection label - would be far better suited to represent them in the US.

Noiradelic

#1007 Post by Noiradelic » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:29 pm

Lowry_Sam wrote:Something's wrong with Studio Canal's US distribution, after the initial 4 blu rays in 2010 & 1 in 2012, there's been nothing, not a peep.
They released That Obscure Object of Desire in January 2013.

rrenault

#1008 Post by rrenault » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:42 am

captveg wrote:I wouldn't be surprised if StudioCanal discovered what Paramount did when Lionsgate licensed the Republic library - Lionsgate has a bizarre habit of licensing libraries and doing the bare minimum with them. SC could certainly feel that the lack of product and promotion by LG has hurt their brand, and realizes that Criterion - despite not having a SC Collection label - would be far better suited to represent them in the US.
Maybe Criterion will now release Terminator 2 to recover the costs from the "bronzing". :wink:

Perkins Cobb

#1009 Post by Perkins Cobb » Thu Oct 16, 2014 10:11 am

I miss the snatching it all away, and while we're at it could we also work cumstain into the thread title?

Adam X

#1010 Post by Adam X » Thu Oct 16, 2014 11:29 am

It does seem like a lost opportunity.

Ribs

#1011 Post by Ribs » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:20 pm

Hm - there's a sale in the Criterion store for the Essential Art House box set, which I thought had went out of print given The Third Man's inclusion...

Self

#1012 Post by Self » Tue Dec 09, 2014 4:47 pm

Ribs wrote:Hm - there's a sale in the Criterion store for the Essential Art House box set, which I thought had went out of print given The Third Man's inclusion...
As well as Grand Illusion

danieltiger

#1013 Post by danieltiger » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:21 pm

Self wrote:
Ribs wrote:Hm - there's a sale in the Criterion store for the Essential Art House box set, which I thought had went out of print given The Third Man's inclusion...
As well as Grand Illusion
And, not to be pedantic, The Fallen Idol, Forbidden Games, Le jour se Léve, Kind Hearts and Coronets, etc...

Werewolf by Night

#1014 Post by Werewolf by Night » Tue Dec 09, 2014 5:57 pm

Out of print is not the same thing as out of stock. Apparently they still have these sets left over from the original print run several years ago and are not restricted from selling their remaining stock.

DrunkenFatherFigure

#1015 Post by DrunkenFatherFigure » Tue Dec 09, 2014 7:06 pm

Werewolf by Night wrote:Out of print is not the same thing as out of stock. Apparently they still have these sets left over from the original print run several years ago and are not restricted from selling their remaining stock.
And I'm guessing they'll have to get even less restrictive if they want to finish up their stock. I mean, seriously, DVDs? With no special features? In this wondrous day and age? :roll:

rrenault

#1016 Post by rrenault » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:23 pm

Well they made a point of advertising their Essential Art House set as being "back in stock" on facebook earlier today, so...

Ribs

#1017 Post by Ribs » Thu Dec 11, 2014 6:27 pm

Yes, if my memory serves, it was labelled as "Buy at Amazon", not out of print. But the fact that it seems to have come back in stock at Criterion does certainly suggest something fishy is going on with StudioCanal's rights.

Yaanu

#1018 Post by Yaanu » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:13 pm

Ribs wrote:Yes, if my memory serves, it was labelled as "Buy at Amazon", not out of print. But the fact that it seems to have come back in stock at Criterion does certainly suggest something fishy is going on with StudioCanal's rights.
I've always figured that the rights issues was why Criterion wasn't doing anything with EAH outside of what had already been published. Hopefully it makes a comeback.

Ribs

#1019 Post by Ribs » Wed Mar 18, 2015 11:11 am

Not only is Third Man listed as available as temporarily out of stock as MSRP on Amazon, but also Army of Shadows (and Leon Morin, Priest) - these went up the same night as the June Criterion releases on Amazon. Could an announcement of stuff coming back be coming?

DeprongMori

#1020 Post by DeprongMori » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:39 pm

There seem to be no listings at all on Amazon for Criterion's "The Third Man" on Blu-Ray. No back-orders, no third-parties, no "currently not available". I'd be interetsed to find out whether anyone was actually able to snag one for $39.95.

On the other hand, they do have in-stock new copies of "Army of Shadows" for $39.95 on Amazon Prime.

Ribs

#1021 Post by Ribs » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:49 pm

No, it's still there, and no, Army of Shadows isn't in stock (though there is prime shipping, yes). The fact these and the Eclipse all appeared at once really does seem incredibly suspicious to me but there's so little precedent for anything coming back into print without a upgrade that it's hard to tell if there's actually anything to expect.

lefeufollet

#1022 Post by lefeufollet » Wed Mar 18, 2015 1:52 pm

DeprongMori wrote:There seem to be no listings at all on Amazon for Criterion's "The Third Man" on Blu-Ray. No back-orders, no third-parties, no "currently not available". I'd be interetsed to find out whether anyone was actually able to snag one for $39.95.

On the other hand, they do have in-stock new copies of "Army of Shadows" for $39.95 on Amazon Prime.
That's down to Amazon's weird listings: you have to click into the alternate options under Blu-ray, then click into "The Criterion Collection".

Alternately, you can simply search the phrase "The Third Man (The Criterion Collection) [Blu-ray]".

Minkin

#1023 Post by Minkin » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:42 pm

I do wonder what's going on with The Third Man or Studio Canal. It could all just be an elaborate experiment by either Criterion or Studio Canal to show what the market is for Criterion vs Lionsgate.

To highlight that point, the out of stock Third Man bluray is currently within the top 100 best selling movies on Amazon right now! If this does turn out to be a mistake on Amazon's part, they are sure taking their sweet time correcting it (and will have a lot of upset customers if it gets canceled). That said, it also seems odd that other Studio Canal titles are also being shown as potentially coming back soon (and it seems like these are the ones that wouldn't otherwise be upgraded in some way, thus if they were to come back into print, they'd just start selling them again, rather than wait for an upgrade, etc).

Oh well, guess we will wait and see what happens.

Ribs

#1024 Post by Ribs » Thu Mar 19, 2015 7:46 pm

I cancelled my order; if anything comes of this, it'll almost definitely be way cheaper elsewhere but Amazon.

I really have no idea how it'd be announced, though; is there any precedent in the DVD era of a Criterion coming back into print without upgrades being announced? I'm pretty sure it hasn't occurred in the BD era at the least.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#1025 Post by cdnchris » Thu Mar 19, 2015 8:37 pm

Port of Shadows, Le corbeau, and a couple of other Studio Canal titles went out of print a while before every title went out of print, but then went back into print a year or so later, only to of course go out of print again a short time later)

The same with their first Hulot films: M. Hulot's Holiday, Mon oncle, and Playtime all went out of print back in 2003/2004. They then released the 2-disc Playtime and brought the other two back in print without an upgrade at the same time.