'Rediculous' Customer & Critic Reviews

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
Gregory

Re: 'Rediculous' Customer & Critic Reviews

#3251 Post by Gregory » Thu May 07, 2015 1:24 pm

Amazon reviewers have stayed as classy and insightful as ever.

From a review of Crazed Fruit:
Translations are quick, as there is a lot of dialogue, and with this, it is difficult to identify which brother is which, as we say about foreigners, "they all look alike".
And from someone who watched Wet Hot American Summer primarily for the Maine location:
The movie had absolutely no redeeming value. It barely mentions Maine, and it's a Jewish day camp, on top of things.
Jewish children on top of all the other problems detailed in the review? Oh, save us.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3252 Post by domino harvey » Thu May 07, 2015 1:43 pm

"It barely mentions Maine" is one of the best general use criticisms I've ever heard

Gregory

#3253 Post by Gregory » Thu May 07, 2015 1:50 pm

It's the Achilles heel of most otherwise great comedies.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3254 Post by domino harvey » Sun May 17, 2015 4:32 pm

I never understood the appeal of Seinfeld. All they did was rip off The Big Bang Theory, but they removed all the interesting plot points and funny jokes, and created a show filled with laugh tracks about nothing interesting.

Lost Highway

#3255 Post by Lost Highway » Wed May 27, 2015 5:04 am

Michael Kerpan wrote:I also find the music to the movie version of this musical pretty lousy compared to the music Bernstein had previously written for the same show (almost all of which got dumped in the movie).
I'm totally with you on that. Donen and Kelly's On the Town is a lovely film until you see the show and then the choices made in the adaptation become deeply frustrating. How could they discard one of the greatest scores ever written for the stage and replace it with a lot of mediocre ditties ? I suppose the show was just too dark and melancholy for a film made so soon after WWII.

I saw the London ENO production of On the Town a few years ago and it was one of the best nights of my life. The show moved me like few pieces of art do, in fact it reduced me to a blubbering wreck ("Some Other Time" :cry:) both because of its subject matter but also because of how beautiful the score is (which is not to say that the show isn't also riotously funny in places). It was the best stage show I have ever seen and now I just can't go back to the film.

Michael Kerpan
Spelling Bee Champeen

#3256 Post by Michael Kerpan » Sun May 31, 2015 7:52 pm

I agree, Lost Highway. I simply can't evaluate the movie version of On the Town as if the (musically AND dramatically) superior stage version did not exist.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3257 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jul 07, 2015 8:51 pm

This guy then posts his mailing address in the comments in the hopes that someone will "prove him wrong" by sending him a free copy

Nadsat

#3258 Post by Nadsat » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:20 pm

Found this little gem over at Blu-Ray Authority:*
The film (Citizen Kane) also has several anti-sematic undertones in it, which scared the owners of all the other major studios, who were evidently all Jewish. With Fox, Universal, Warner, Paramount and Disney suddenly pooling their money to buy up every print of the film, this was all the sudden not a laughing matter. Still, the film got made despite all the efforts of others.

Gregory

#3259 Post by Gregory » Sun Jul 19, 2015 2:53 pm

Wooow.
And here's a sentence from the same paragraph that makes it even better/worse:
Now I personally have never seen Citizen Kane, but I want to more than ever.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#3260 Post by domino harvey » Sun Jul 19, 2015 3:36 pm

I love it when people who shouldn't be writing reviews for a certain film are given the task anyways and the site's editor either doesn't know better or doesn't care. This happens a lot on Blu-ray.com, it seems-- I recently stumbled upon their review for An American in Paris, a film I'm hardly protective of but which gets borderline mocked by the reviewer just for being a musical and it made me defensive of the film all the same!
Blu-ray.com review wrote:I would wager An American in Paris will only appeal to those who would grab for its case at the mere sight of its throwback cover art.

Gregory

#3261 Post by Gregory » Sun Jul 19, 2015 4:53 pm

Good grief. His opening "thesis" or whatever is that the film was so acclaimed and popular because "In a time of socioeconomic uncertainty, audiences respond to films that offer hope instead of dread, elation instead of depression, and idealism instead of cynicism."
An American in Paris was released smack-dab in the dramatic beginning phase of the postwar economic boom, with unemployment falling to almost unbelievably low levels. What "socioeconomic uncertainty"?

This kind of review is often like reading an essay exam by someone who doesn't know the background of the topic well but has a few key phrases and loose ideas to sprinkle in and fill up the pages. If they don't have any particular insight about the film itself, I wish they'd just jump right into the A/V review. I have more respect for Gary's reviews at DVDBeaver because he just copies and pastes TimeOut rather than trying to be a film essayist himself.

Altair

#3262 Post by Altair » Mon Jul 20, 2015 1:26 pm

Personally I feel it's the "insights" at the end of the Blu-ray Authority review which are best/worst:
RKO 281 has endless possibilites as a trailblazer behind dozens of potential storytellers. If the story behind this movie is so interesting, imagine if they made a movie like this for all the AFI 100 films! Mostly due to the cast, which consists of such heavyweights as John Malkovich, Roy Scheider and James Cromwell, it’s almost impossible not to have a hit movie. Though this probably doesn’t happen much anymore, the battle over to make a film or not to make a film is always an issue
Talk about high concept!

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3263 Post by Drucker » Tue Jul 21, 2015 4:12 pm

Sorry I can't resist:
With The Fountainhead as one of my favorite films, I am a pretty big Ayn Rand fan. I wouldn't consider myself a staunch 'Objectivist' but I have always found her a totally interesting character and certainly enlightening to listen to. Many commentators, in recent years, dismiss her philosophy, but I think one can gain insight without becoming a devout, cult-like follower. She is often misunderstood. As I stated, I already owned this 2004 Image-Entertainment DVD and have watched many interviews with her on YouTube. IMO, she remains one of the more fascinating human beings of the 20th Century. The Strand Blu-ray offers this, almost 2.5 hour, documentary in 1080P with a few supplemental attempts on the second disc DVD. For those curious - this is a worthwhile spin - but her following may be the most appreciative. Not that it means anything , but I, personally, will watch this again gaining more now than from seeing it years ago. I never seem to tire of hearing her talk. She was an amazing gal...

George Drooly

#3264 Post by George Drooly » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:31 pm

Drucker wrote:Sorry I can't resist:
...The Strand Blu-ray offers this, almost 2.5 hour, documentary in 1080P
Gotta be Tooze, no? I've never seen anyone else use commas so weirdly. No idea if it's grammatically correct, but it reads so haltingly.

Gregory

#3265 Post by Gregory » Tue Jul 21, 2015 7:28 pm

Strand doesn't release all that many Blu-rays, and I'm surprised they'd be the ones to put this one out. It takes an extremely controversial figure and sticks almost exclusively to the pro-Rand end of things while glossing over many interesting aspects of her personal life. Most of the interviews are with her acolytes, talking about how great she and her ideas were. The film was financed by a super-wealthy futures trader and Rand disciple, Monroe Trout, with the cooperation of the Rand estate.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#3266 Post by swo17 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 8:16 pm

Strand = St. Rand

sir_luke

'Rediculous' Customer & Critic Reviews

#3267 Post by sir_luke » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:47 pm

While we're on the topic of Tooze, there's this gem from the review for The Erotic Rites of Frankenstein:
The word 'monster' would be more appropriately used to describe the Euro 'bushes' of the naked actresses, IMO.
Necessary?

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#3268 Post by Drucker » Wed Jul 22, 2015 9:55 am

George Drooly wrote:
Drucker wrote:Sorry I can't resist:
...The Strand Blu-ray offers this, almost 2.5 hour, documentary in 1080P
Gotta be Tooze, no? I've never seen anyone else use commas so weirdly. No idea if it's grammatically correct, but it reads so haltingly.
Yep. I was amused by his defense/love of Rand.

zedz

#3269 Post by zedz » Wed Jul 22, 2015 4:11 pm

sir_luke wrote:While we're on the topic of Tooze, there's this gem from the review for The Erotic Rites of Frankenstein:
The word 'monster' would be more appropriately used to describe the Euro 'bushes' of the naked actresses, IMO.
Necessary?
Ugh, what a creep.

mizo

#3270 Post by mizo » Sat Jul 25, 2015 12:25 pm

Gregory wrote:The film was financed by a super-wealthy futures trader and Rand disciple, Monroe Trout, with the cooperation of the Rand estate.
He sounds like he could be a character in one of her books. "Monroe Trout" fits nicely into the company of Ellsworth Monkton Toohey (cribbed from a random page of the copy of The Fountainhead which is the only book in my personal library I have turned backwards so the title can't be read by idle perusers - now that's a healthy way to acknowledge a different system of thought than my own).

Gregory

#3271 Post by Gregory » Sun Jul 26, 2015 12:19 pm

Amazon reviewer figured out that the German occupation setting of Closely Watched Trains was really just window dressing for a liberal pro-sex-having agenda. Critics only liked the film because it promotes their dirty "anything goes" world view. (possible spoiler)
SpoilerShow
Unless you are seriously into coming of age movies you can skip this one. Critics love this film because it conforms to the modern liberal message that you should have sex with basically anyone. The attempt to make the protagonist Milos into a tragic hero as a resistance fighter fails because it is obviously unimportant addition to the main story, which is that a young man should have sex early and have sex often.

MichaelB

#3272 Post by MichaelB » Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:31 pm

This reminded me of an IMDB message-board comment on the same film:
I just watched the film for the first time, which I very much enjoyed, but had thoughts similar to yours, specifically that the portrayal of a sort of rampant, open sexuality was more aligned with the publication date of the novel (1965) than the story's WWII setting. The group scene with the nurses and the German soldiers seemed especially out of place. I thought perhaps the apparent shift in sexual mores was a response to the ongoing war, a sort of "eat and drink, for tomorrow we die."
This argument might make sense if the author of the novel had been some trendy young twentysomething trying to make a literary splash in the mid-Sixties, but in fact Bohumil Hrabal was born in 1914 and was already pushing thirty during the period in which his (partly autobiographical) novel is set. And you'll also find similarly ribald depictions of the behaviour of young Czechs in the first half of the twentieth century in the work of plenty of other novelists - Josef Skvorecky and Jaroslav Hasek both spring to mind.

The problem as I see it isn't imposing "1960s liberal ideas" on wartime Czechoslovakia, it's imposing American notions of "acceptable" behaviour in the 1940s onto what was in many respects a very different society.

RossyG

#3273 Post by RossyG » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:25 am

Conservatives always have to have some unsullied golden age to look back on and compare today with. These days it's usually the Second World War or the 1950's. Point out that people also had sex, murdered, and swore back then and they get angry.

MichaelB

#3274 Post by MichaelB » Mon Jul 27, 2015 4:35 am

RossyG wrote:Conservatives always have to have some unsullied golden age to look back on and compare today with. These days it's usually the Second World War or the 1950's. Point out that people also had sex, murdered, and swore back then and they get angry.
The most successful genre at the British box office during WWII was the raunchy costume melodrama popularised by Gainsborough Pictures and frequently ripped off by others. These films are really quite startlingly racy - The Wicked Lady, a blockbuster so massive that it still registered in the BFI's inflation-adjusted top ten a decade ago, even had to be partly reshot for the US because Margaret Lockwood's cleavage was considered too prominent - and that's because Gainsborough realised that the mid-40s British cinema audience was overwhelmingly both female and sex-starved, for reasons that probably don't need spelling out.

RossyG

#3275 Post by RossyG » Mon Jul 27, 2015 6:40 pm

They were until the GI's arrived. ;)