Criterions Out of Print (OOP)

News on Criterion and Janus Films.
dwk

Re: Criterion OOP

#101 Post by dwk » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:16 pm

swo17 wrote:I'm sure they're just repackaging it so it depends on whether you prefer plastic or cardboard.
And whether one wants the full 80 page booklet that comes with the digipak or whatever slimmed down version they'll fold into the plastic case.

SexualAmbulance

#102 Post by SexualAmbulance » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:35 pm

perkizitore wrote:Any news on the Von Sternberg and Teshigahara sets? Will they just be repackaged or is an upgrade in the cards?
I'd also like to know this so I can see if I have to save up the 300 USD for the Teshigahara set.

jedgeco

#103 Post by jedgeco » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:43 pm

SexualAmbulance wrote:
perkizitore wrote:Any news on the Von Sternberg and Teshigahara sets? Will they just be repackaged or is an upgrade in the cards?
I'd also like to know this so I can see if I have to save up the 300 USD for the Teshigahara set.
Good lord, the price for the Teshigahara set skyrocketed this summer. It was one of those releases that I always kind of wanted, but came out during the early days of the Blu-ray transition when I became hesitant about buying SD DVDs. Hopefully an upgrade is coming.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#104 Post by domino harvey » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:52 pm

They still own the rights, I assumed an upgrade was coming. But then again, we've been waiting on the Fassbinder trilogy for like four years too

dwk

#105 Post by dwk » Fri Oct 30, 2015 6:51 pm

I assume that both the Von Sternberg and Teshigahara sets got caught in limbo from the switch to and back from dual-format releases. (totally random speculation, but it wouldn't surprise me if when they re-issue and Blu the Teshigahara set, it will be a Teshigahara/Abe set and include The Man Without a Map)

movielocke

#106 Post by movielocke » Sat Oct 31, 2015 2:09 pm

dwk wrote:I assume that both the Von Sternberg and Teshigahara sets got caught in limbo from the switch to and back from dual-format releases. (totally random speculation, but it wouldn't surprise me if when they re-issue and Blu the Teshigahara set, it will be a Teshigahara/Abe set and include The Man Without a Map)
I would even guess they were planning a rohmer esque book to include on a teshigahara DF release, and as you said it's now in limbo.

another release with a novel probably nixed by the end of DF is princess bride.

Kolm14

#107 Post by Kolm14 » Mon Nov 02, 2015 11:53 pm

I actually emailed Mulvaney regarding three titles last week. These were 3 Silent Classics by Josef Von Sternberg, Pandora's Box, and the BRD Trilogy. He said regarding Von Sternerg and Pandora's Box, "Unfortunately we are all out of these editions, and they will be unavailable while we work on a redesign and release. These titles are not out of print." Regarind the BRD Trilogy he said, "The BRD Trilogy is out of print." So it looks like the first two are just going through the packaging changes like Vampyr did. BRD Trilogy looks to be OOP. Granted people have been saying it was just a packing change but then again we've been waiting like 4 years for it now.

danieltiger

#108 Post by danieltiger » Tue Nov 03, 2015 2:46 pm

Kolm14 wrote:I actually emailed Mulvaney regarding three titles last week. These were 3 Silent Classics by Josef Von Sternberg, Pandora's Box, and the BRD Trilogy. He said regarding Von Sternerg and Pandora's Box, "Unfortunately we are all out of these editions, and they will be unavailable while we work on a redesign and release. These titles are not out of print." Regarind the BRD Trilogy he said, "The BRD Trilogy is out of print." So it looks like the first two are just going through the packaging changes like Vampyr did. BRD Trilogy looks to be OOP. Granted people have been saying it was just a packing change but then again we've been waiting like 4 years for it now.
I know that Mulvaney at one point said that the BRD was coming back, but I think at this point we should take them at their word. Given that Veronika Voss and The Marriage of Maria Braun are still on Hulu, it seems likely that there are simply rights issues with Lola that haven't been resolvable. Until/if they are, BRD will remain OOP.

Roscoe

#109 Post by Roscoe » Tue Nov 03, 2015 3:37 pm

Mulvaney: "Unfortunately we are all out of these editions (von Sternberg silents and PANDORA'S BOX), and they will be unavailable while we work on a redesign and release. These titles are not out of print."

Here's hoping that PANDORA'S BOX at least gets a Blu-Ray upgrade, with the Matti Bye score.

Minkin

#110 Post by Minkin » Tue Nov 03, 2015 7:08 pm

danieltiger wrote:
Kolm14 wrote:I actually emailed Mulvaney regarding three titles last week. These were 3 Silent Classics by Josef Von Sternberg, Pandora's Box, and the BRD Trilogy. He said regarding Von Sternerg and Pandora's Box, "Unfortunately we are all out of these editions, and they will be unavailable while we work on a redesign and release. These titles are not out of print." Regarind the BRD Trilogy he said, "The BRD Trilogy is out of print." So it looks like the first two are just going through the packaging changes like Vampyr did. BRD Trilogy looks to be OOP. Granted people have been saying it was just a packing change but then again we've been waiting like 4 years for it now.
I know that Mulvaney at one point said that the BRD was coming back, but I think at this point we should take them at their word. Given that Veronika Voss and The Marriage of Maria Braun are still on Hulu, it seems likely that there are simply rights issues with Lola that haven't been resolvable. Until/if they are, BRD will remain OOP.
Lola is with Janus - when they purchased the rights to like 15 Fassbinder films a few years ago (Wellsprings previously has the rights). It played about a year ago - at BAMPFA and American Cinematheque - both attributed to Janus. So they still have the rights to all of these films, thus it must be a packaging change or waiting to do a restoration or some holdup. Its been a long wait, sure - but this isn't anything new for them :P

bluelph24

#111 Post by bluelph24 » Thu Nov 05, 2015 1:20 pm

For what it's worth, I emailed Mulvaney about the Teshigahara set. He responded with this:

Thanks for writing. Regarding the Three Films By Hiroshi Teshigahara
set, unfortunately we are all out of this edition, and it will be
unavailable while we work on a redesign and release. Please stay
tuned, this title is not out of print.

ianungstad

#112 Post by ianungstad » Sun Nov 08, 2015 1:20 am

FYI, the non-digipack versions of Salo and Repo Man have a street date of 1/26/16.

cpetrizzi

#113 Post by cpetrizzi » Fri Nov 13, 2015 12:51 pm

I count 93 spines that at some point have been OOP. Can anyone verify, amend, or add? I know that Salò and Time Bandits were OOP at some point and are not anymore; that's why they are still on this list. Also, the original Salò was once the "rarest" DVD of all time and deserves some individual recognition.

1 Grand Illusion
8 The Killer
9 Hard Boiled
12 This Is Spinal Tap
13 The Silence of the Lambs
17 Salò, or the 120 Days of Sodom (original)
20 Sid and Nancy
21 Dead Ringers
23 RoboCop
25 Alphaville
26 The Long Good Friday
27 Flesh for Frankenstein
28 Blood for Dracula
33 Nanook of the North
37 Time Bandits (original)
49 Nights of Cabiria
55 The Unbearable Lightness of Being
58 Peeping Tom
64 The Third Man
66 The Orphic Trilogy
67 The Blood of a Poet
69 Testament of Orpheus
74 Vagabond
78 The Bank Dick
79 W.C. Fields - Six Short Films
81 Variety Lights
83 The Harder They Come
85 Pygmalion
102 The Discreet Charm of the Bourgeoisie
106 Coup de torchon
107 Mona Lisa
110 Mr. Hulot's Holiday
111 Mon Oncle
112 Playtime
117 Diary of a Chambermaid
119 Withnail & I
120 How to Get Ahead in Advertising
121 Billy Liar
129 Le Trou
135 Rebecca
136 Spellbound
137 Notorious
143 That Obscure Object of Desire
150 Bob le Flambeur
155 Tokyo Olympiad
171 Contempt
182 Straw Dogs
189 The White Sheik
193 Quai des Orfèvres
203 The BRD Trilogy
204 The Marriage of Maria Braun
205 Veronika Voss
206 Lola
218 Le cercle rouge
222 Diary of a Country Priest
227 Le Corbeau: The Raven
238 A Woman Is a Woman
245 Port of Shadows
271 Touchez Pas au Grisbi
290 The Phantom of Liberty
304 The Man Who Fell to Earth
316 Ran
317 The Tales of Hoffmann
318 Forbidden Games
325 Kind Hearts and Coronets
327 3 Films by Loius Malle
357 The Fallen Idol
358 Pandora's Box
369 Paul Robeson: Portrait of an Artist
370 Emperor Jones
371 Body and Soul
372 Sanders of the River
373 The Proud Valley
385 Army of Shadows
392 Three Films by Hiroshi Teshigahara
393 Pitfall
394 Woman in the Dunes
395 The Face of Another
402 The Milky Way
421 Pierrot le fou
424 Mafioso
439 Trafic
441 The Small Back Room
447 Le Doulos
453 Chungking Express
463 Il Generale della Rovere
478 Last Year at Marienbad
488 Howards End
528 Three Silent Film Classics by Josef von Sternberg
529 Underworld
530 The Last Command
531 The Docks of New York
572 Léon Morin, Priest

thatobscurecharm

#114 Post by thatobscurecharm » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:47 pm

Paul Robeson was never really OOP, but is available again.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#115 Post by Drucker » Fri Nov 13, 2015 2:50 pm

thatobscurecharm wrote:Paul Robeson was never really OOP, but is available again.
Indeed, I saw it in Barnes and Noble today.

danieltiger

#116 Post by danieltiger » Fri Nov 13, 2015 3:14 pm

Drucker wrote:
thatobscurecharm wrote:Paul Robeson was never really OOP, but is available again.
Indeed, I saw it in Barnes and Noble today.
It was absolutely OOP, at least in the sense that it said OOP on criterion.com. It's back, and it came back quietly, but it was considered OOP for quite a while before that.

RyanGallagher

Criterion OOP

#117 Post by RyanGallagher » Fri Nov 13, 2015 4:13 pm

danieltiger wrote:It was absolutely OOP, at least in the sense that it said OOP on criterion.com. It's back, and it came back quietly, but it was considered OOP for quite a while before that.
From December 2013:

@Criterion: Our Paul Robeson box set is going out of print at the end of the month. Get it while you can: http://t.co/Zx8WgcFwEE" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

dwk

#118 Post by dwk » Tue Dec 15, 2015 11:52 pm

OOP watch: Film Movement announced that they are going to release Once Were Warriors and The Quiet Earth, both films are part of a package of 50+ titles from the New Zealand Film Commission that HanWay Films was selling as a package and apparently An Angel at My Table is one of the titles. I know that Fine Line's rights had expired awhile ago and Criterion re-licensed it from someone (which is why it is on Hulu), but I'm not sure how much longer Criterion has on that license.

Noiradelic

#119 Post by Noiradelic » Wed Dec 16, 2015 12:38 am

cpetrizzi wrote:I count 93 spines that at some point have been OOP. Can anyone verify, amend, or add?
See here. It includes old editions, but in combination with the first post of this thread should supply the info you're seeking.

Frumaster

#120 Post by Frumaster » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:49 pm

my OOP titles (you will have to use your imagination a little)

Minkin

#121 Post by Minkin » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:05 pm

As part of the Janus films catalog that I've been spamming here about...

It appears (as I assumed in the first post), that Criterion has the Handmade Films library back under their control (from Image/RLJ), thus we should expect the following to come back into print:

How to Get Ahead in Advertising
The Long Good Friday
Mona Lisa
Withnail & I

---------------------------
The above four are listed as Janus owned on their new website. For those wanting to speculate about what else in the Handmade Library they might now own, please use the forthcoming topic.
Last edited by Minkin on Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

danieltiger

#122 Post by danieltiger » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:12 pm

Interesting that Lola is listed. That's been the one from the Fassbinder set that people assumed caused the BRD trilogy to remain in limbo. It's still not on Hulu, when the other two are. I wonder what's going on there...

Minkin

#123 Post by Minkin » Wed Jan 20, 2016 9:49 pm

dwk wrote:OOP watch: Film Movement announced that they are going to release Once Were Warriors and The Quiet Earth, both films are part of a package of 50+ titles from the New Zealand Film Commission that HanWay Films was selling as a package and apparently An Angel at My Table is one of the titles. I know that Fine Line's rights had expired awhile ago and Criterion re-licensed it from someone (which is why it is on Hulu), but I'm not sure how much longer Criterion has on that license.
An Angel at My Table is listed as a Janus Film title on their new website, thus I assume it was bought by them and not under threat of OOP (I wouldn't panic buy it until its listed as OOP - and would instead probably expect a Blu sometime).

Also, yes the three films of the BRD trilogy are listed as Janus holdings as well, so I'd expect them to do something with that OOP box sometime in the future as well.

seeldoger47

#124 Post by seeldoger47 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:12 pm

According to the Criterion's website Oliver's Shakespeare box set is now out of print.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#125 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:45 pm

No wonder I finally sold my copy on eBay today!