David Wain & Other Alums of The State

A subforum to discuss film culture and criticism.
cinemartin

Re: David Wain & Other Alums of The State

#101 Post by cinemartin » Wed May 27, 2015 11:29 am

You can't imagine many people liked Wet Hot American Summer?

bearcuborg

#102 Post by bearcuborg » Wed May 27, 2015 12:14 pm

cinemartin wrote:You can't imagine many people liked Wet Hot American Summer?
Poorly worded, my bad. I adore Wet Hot American Summer.

PfR73

#103 Post by PfR73 » Wed May 27, 2015 9:03 pm

The Ten is a bit of a mixed bag, but it has at least 2 sections I find flat-out hilarious: the entire coveting sketch about the CAT Scan machines & the opening of the murder sketch with Ken Marino as the doctor who kills his patient "as a goof" (Hence my earlier question).

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#104 Post by domino harvey » Thu Jul 02, 2015 11:56 am

Trailer for Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp (NSFW) -- already laughed more in that trailer than I did during the entirety of They Came Together

gorgeousnothings

#105 Post by gorgeousnothings » Fri Jul 31, 2015 1:14 pm

Just watched the first two episodes of Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp, and it's wonderful so far. It's very close in spirit to the original and unlike They Came Together, it's actually funny. The origins of Elizabeth Banks' character and Abby Bernstein in episode 2 are hilariously bizarre. Marguerite Moreau is great at playing the straight man to Paul Rudd's antics--both are killing it. The only weak spot I see so far is the storyline that involve the actual campers, which just seems like a weird detour given the talent of the rest of the cast.

thirtyframesasecond

#106 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:45 am

gorgeousnothings wrote:Just watched the first two episodes of Wet Hot American Summer: First Day of Camp, and it's wonderful so far. It's very close in spirit to the original and unlike They Came Together, it's actually funny. The origins of Elizabeth Banks' character and Abby Bernstein in episode 2 are hilariously bizarre. Marguerite Moreau is great at playing the straight man to Paul Rudd's antics--both are killing it. The only weak spot I see so far is the storyline that involve the actual campers, which just seems like a weird detour given the talent of the rest of the cast.
I really liked this. It's stupid as hell but it's very funny. Josh Charles and the other Camp Tiger Claw poshos are my favourites. And I actually like the campers, especially the Drew/Kevin spat.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#109 Post by domino harvey » Fri Sep 02, 2016 3:38 pm

This is FREE on Kindle through Sunday! :shock:

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#110 Post by domino harvey » Mon Mar 20, 2017 7:35 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#111 Post by domino harvey » Fri May 19, 2017 6:49 pm

David Wain's next film, A Futile and Stupid Gesture, covers the rise and fall of the National Lampoon and stars, among others, Joel McHale as Chevy Chase

flyonthewall2983

#112 Post by flyonthewall2983 » Fri May 25, 2018 5:42 pm

I really liked A Futile and Stupid Gesture. It pokes necessary holes in bio-pic conventions in a way that Mr. Kenney would probably have been proud of. There's enough of a dark underbelly of what the film ultimately leads to that really appeals to me in comedy nowadays, how to make it dark without losing the funny bone.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#113 Post by domino harvey » Tue Jan 22, 2019 12:43 am

PfR73

#114 Post by PfR73 » Thu Nov 05, 2020 6:31 pm

Maybe old news, but I just learned a few days ago that Kerri Kenney, along with Nina Hellman (Nurse Nancy in WHAS), had a band in the 90s called Cake Like. I've started listening to them and IMO they're really good. David Wain directed a video for the song "Lorraine's Car" that has cameos from Ken Marino & Joe Lo Truglio and I've watched it about a dozen times already this week.

therewillbeblus

#115 Post by therewillbeblus » Wed Nov 11, 2020 11:58 pm

So.. Wedding Daze is absolutely hilarious. Just about everything works perfectly here and, even if perhaps the film could have been explicitly funnier with more of The State actors in roles, I actually think the casting of classically-molded rom-com folks for the respective parts helps as Black's irreverent humor is woven into the fabric and made to be even more absurdly inappropriate coming from these ostensibly prude stars. This doesn't go to the place of genius that The Baxter does, which reinvents the rules of the game while playing by them simultaneously, but instead Black takes the "zany premise" of rom-coms and doubles down by disrupting any sense of predictable logic around the central conceit. I mean, Martindale's nonchalant drop of where she places blame in her speech is funny, but Fisher becoming shocked by-way-of meanly shaming Biggs for being in love with a "dead woman" as a subtly-situated, common-sense reaction rather than a punchline, is just brilliant.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#116 Post by swo17 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:30 pm

domino harvey wrote:
Fri May 19, 2017 6:49 pm
David Wain's next film, A Futile and Stupid Gesture, covers the rise and fall of the National Lampoon and stars, among others, Joel McHale as Chevy Chase
With all due respect to Jessica Chastain, this was the State-centric biopic the world needed. In particular, the casting choices for still well-known comedians (best left unspoiled) were spot-on all the way down the line, even if the film felt the need to excuse the surface dissimilarities through one of its many playful meta-devices. The Eyes of Tammy Faye was pretty good in this respect as well, but there's no mistaking here that Wain and co. love these characters, flaws and all. Except for Chevy Chase. Man this film hates Chevy Chase

knives

#117 Post by knives » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:33 pm

swo17 wrote:
Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:30 pm
Man hates Chevy Chase
I think this is more accurate to history.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#118 Post by swo17 » Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:45 pm

Oh I know. And I imagine McHale had a lot of "fun" taking him down. But where a lot of these other actors are hamming it up, it's almost as though they decided that Chase isn't even worth making into a compelling villain. He's just sort of there doing his half-aloof shtick (and loads of cocaine) while other characters say how much they hate him

therewillbeblus

#119 Post by therewillbeblus » Tue Jul 11, 2023 11:13 pm