Cohen Film Collection

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: Cohen Film Collection

#376 Post by domino harvey » Sun Feb 14, 2016 6:24 pm

I think Police is still with Olive, though Cohen does have Satan

zedz

#377 Post by zedz » Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:40 pm

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:Loulou is the Depardieu that I've anticipated the most since the acquisition announcement. I wouldn't be surprised if they chose all the Depardieu features for that volume then. Police, Loulou, and especially Satan are all stellar performances it'd certainly make sense.
Don't forget Le Garcu! Though I assume it's still a licensing nightmare.

Lowry_Sam

#378 Post by Lowry_Sam » Mon Feb 15, 2016 12:07 am

Credits for the prints in the Pialat retrospective currently running @ the (new) PFA are:

Cohen:
Loulou
Maurice Pialat: Love Exists
Van Gogh
Under the Sun of Satan
The Mouth Agape (Digital Restoration)
Graduate First

Gaumont:
Pialat's Turkish Chronicles
Police

La Cinémathèque Française:
Le Garçu

Institut Francais
A Nos Amours

Janus/Criterion:
Naked Childhood

The Film Desk:
We Will Not Grow Old Together

No Credit mentioned (or whether 35mm or digital):
The House in the Woods

all are imported 35mm prints except where noted.

Gaddis

#379 Post by Gaddis » Mon Feb 15, 2016 1:50 am

I would love to see The House in the Woods and Le Garçu receive English friendly releases. Can anyone shed any light on the licensing nightmare's keeping them from wider release?

zedz

#380 Post by zedz » Mon Feb 15, 2016 4:18 pm

Gaddis wrote:I would love to see The House in the Woods and Le Garçu receive English friendly releases. Can anyone shed any light on the licensing nightmare's keeping them from wider release?
I don't know the full details of the Le Garcu hold-up, but its inclusion in the Gaumont Integrale sets was a very expensive 'once and never again' special arrangement. The producer commented to this effect in an interview I read (but don't remember where). It may just be yet another case of a sales agent having totally unrealistic financial expectations, and holding the film hostage to them.

I don't think there's any real obstacle to The House in the Woods. It was a standard TV production (ORTF / RAI) and it's been reissued in France. The obstacles here are will and economics. Pialat has never been a big name abroad, this is his least known work, and it's seven hours long. Fortunately, there's a serviceable transfer, but it's still an almighty gamble for any English-language label, who seem to be struggling to make even Van Gogh pay its way.

Gaddis

#381 Post by Gaddis » Tue Feb 16, 2016 3:34 am

Thanks for the reply. Sad to hear that Le Garçu has been effectively Eustached.

It was actually Rivette's comments that piqued my interest in The House in the Woods: "I would put Van Gogh (1991) and The House in the Woods (1971) above all his other films. Because there he succeeded in filming the happiness, no doubt imaginary, of the pre-WWI world. Although the tone is very different, it’s as beautiful as Renoir."

pointless

#382 Post by pointless » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:15 pm

The Claude Chabrol Blu-ray Collection Trailer

All with 2K restorations

Betty (1992)
L'enfer a.k.a. Torment (1994)
The Swindle (Rien ne va plus) (1997)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihxAV1QQS7E
Last edited by pointless on Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#383 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 17, 2016 5:36 pm

Sweet, Betty's not very good but the other two are among Chabrol's best

NABOB OF NOWHERE

#384 Post by NABOB OF NOWHERE » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:07 pm

domino harvey wrote:Sweet, Betty's not very good but the other two are among Chabrol's best
On the other hand I would suggest that the first 20 minutes represents one of the top updated Simenon adaptations to date.

perkizitore

#385 Post by perkizitore » Wed Feb 17, 2016 6:24 pm

pointless wrote:The Claude Chabrol Blu-ray Collection Trailer

All with 2K restorations

Betty (1992)
L'enfer a.k.a. Torment (1994)
The Swindle (1997)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihxAV1QQS7E
I think I will pass, it's better to wait for the eventual Arrow release :P

Grisbi

#386 Post by Grisbi » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:07 pm

domino harvey wrote:Sweet, Betty's not very good but the other two are among Chabrol's best
Woo-boy I couldn't disagree more, BETTY is pretty close to a masterpiece in my eyes. Both Trintignant and Audran here are two of the strongest performances in all of Chabrol I feel, particularly the latter in her last collaboration with the director, all the more poignant in a role all about aging and death.

L'ENFER is very good, but I don't think it gets any more screamingly mediocre than THE SWINDLE.

Nonetheless, exciting release!

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#387 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 17, 2016 7:23 pm

Rien ne va plus is Chabrol's To Catch a Thief-- light, airless, and sublime.

zedz

#388 Post by zedz » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:56 pm

Grisbi wrote:I don't think it gets any more screamingly mediocre than THE SWINDLE.
I have to agree with this. It seemed like an overlong episode of Miami Vice or something to me.

vidussoni

#389 Post by vidussoni » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:11 pm

The Pialat titles in the Vol. 1 set will be: Graduate First, The Mouth Agape, Loulou and Love Exists.

pointless

#390 Post by pointless » Tue Feb 23, 2016 9:23 am

La città delle donne (City of Women) - Federico Fellini - 1980

March 31 release - 2K restoration

City of Women Trailer

FrauBlucher

#391 Post by FrauBlucher » Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:15 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#392 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:28 pm

vidussoni wrote:The Pialat titles in the Vol. 1 set will be: Graduate First, The Mouth Agape, Loulou and Love Exists.
Not quite: Van Gogh and Under the Sun of Satan are in, Love Exists is out!

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#393 Post by swo17 » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:30 pm

I guess because Criterion has the rights to the latter?

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#394 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:31 pm

What is even left for their second Pialat volume after that powerhouse of five titles? And all for $37 preordered! Love this label not gouging customers unlike some boutiques...

rockysds

#395 Post by rockysds » Thu Mar 03, 2016 6:47 pm

Pretty sure the list of titles vidussoni posted is correct and that the image is for the DCP retro - and a sign of what will be in the second volume, possibly along a bunch of shorts. Still very reasonably priced though.

Also, unless I'm mistaken the Love Exists included on the Cohen set is the 2007 feature length documentary about Pialat, and not the 1960 short by Pialat, which is the one Criterion has rights to.

vidussoni

#396 Post by vidussoni » Thu Mar 03, 2016 7:37 pm

This is what's on the Amazon page
Cohen Film Collection is proud to present for the first time in HD, a collection of films by French director Maurice Pialat.

Graduate First: In a town in northern France, teenagers sitting for the baccalaureate await the fateful date with anxiety tempered with indifference. The past year has been the scene of their conflicts with adults and teachers alike who consider the exam as the highway to employment. The disillusioned teenagers see it more as the dead-end street to unemployment.

Mouth Agape: When cancer strikes the mother of the family in this French film, everyone in the family expresses a previously invisible caring and tolerance of the others. The father has always been a bit of a drunk, and is forever chasing younger women. Despite that, he and his wife care for each other, and he tends attentively to her in her last days while remaining unchanged in character. The son and daughter-in-law, whose marriage is somewhat sterile, have similarly penetrating interactions with the dying mother.

Loulou: One evening Nelly meets Loulou, a down-and-out young man. After her husband kicks her out, she goes off to live with Loulou. She is soon with child, but Loulou doesn't change his wayward life, spending time with his pals and pulling off small-time robberies. Deeply hurt by his attitude, Nelly decides not to keep the baby.

Love Exists: A certainty runs through Maurice Pialat's cinema: whatever is lived, spoken, invented or destroyed in real life will probably find its echo in a film one day. Beginning with these fictional reverberations, we sketched the self-portrait of a director who never forgot what it was to be a child, and was as uncompromising as one when it came to defining what love meant to him.
I guess Vol. 2 will have Van Gogh and Under the Sun of Satan. Maybe Cohen also acquired Pialat's last film Le Garçu.

Gregory

#397 Post by Gregory » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:09 pm

Pretty sure I've still never seen Loulou. Not much reason save that it wasn't one of the MoC series and I was unsure I could ever buy Depardieu as a leather-jacketed street tough.
So I have to ask, does that description essentially reveal the film's entire storyline? That's just unnecessary.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#398 Post by domino harvey » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:14 pm

I have seen it (I think New Yorker put it out?) and remember literally not one thing about it

Zot!

#399 Post by Zot! » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:17 pm

Might want to check out Gerard's bio.

Gregory

#400 Post by Gregory » Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:24 pm

Good for him, giving up the grave-robbing and all, but I'm still not sure I could be convinced by that particular famous actor as a leather-jacketed street tough. Maybe the obstacle's on my end. I'll approach Loulou with an open mind but until then will "await the fateful date with anxiety tempered with indifference," to quote one of the descriptions. Bof!
Last edited by Gregory on Thu Mar 03, 2016 8:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.