It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 2:47 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: Steven Spielberg
PostPosted: Wed Nov 09, 2011 10:54 pm 

Was looking for this little excerpt for quite some time. Its from the Wender's Documentary ROOM 666. Here is Spielberg in 1982 "on the future of cinema."

PostPosted: Wed Nov 06, 2013 5:59 am 

Reading Stendhal's The Charterhouse of Parma, I discovered that the prison for political crimes during the Austrian empire, was Spielberg citadel, in Brno; now, I wonder which is Steve's family name origin.

Where "Spielberg family" came from? I've looked at wikipedia (where almost all USamericans have descriptions of all their grand grand parents' origins) but there's no explication on his article.

Is He Austrian ? German ? Czech? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spielberg_(disambiguation) I have not read a biography or studies about him (sorry).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:30 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Now here is a stupid fucking idea

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 3:44 pm 

rohmerin wrote:
Reading Stendhal's The Charterhouse of Parma, I discovered that the prison for political crimes during the Austrian empire, was Spielberg citadel, in Brno; now, I wonder which is Steve's family name origin.

Where "Spielberg family" came from? I've looked at wikipedia (where almost all USamericans have descriptions of all their grand grand parents' origins) but there's no explication on his article.

Is He Austrian ? German ? Czech? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spielberg_(disambiguation) I have not read a biography or studies about him (sorry).

Probably useless to answer this question now, but for Jews surnames are basically useless as a way to tell family point of origin. The best indicator they serve is when they got that surname. Being Germanic that would put him at the mid 1800s for example. Given the descriptions he gives of his family's religious practices, at least according to the wiki article, which are a better indicator than names I'd assume he was either Lithuanian or Polish.

Last edited by knives on Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 4:12 pm 

domino harvey wrote:

Spielberg always has six projects that never happen for one that does. The odds are against it coming to fruition.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 8:32 pm 

According to Joseph McBride's decent biography on Spielberg, Arnold Spielberg, Steven's father, believed the roots of their family were in Austria-Hungry. The name is German-Austrian and means "play mountain." His mother's side originated in Poland, and his maternal grandfather, Fievel, immigrated from Odessa, Russia (apparently An American Tail was inspired by his grandfather's stories).

PostPosted: Sat Aug 09, 2014 9:00 pm 

Though even something like that can be difficult in pinpointing Jewish ethnicity rather than nationality since that just considers where they were in the last three hundred years or so.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 2:29 am 

domino harvey wrote:

I would agree if I thought the original version was definitive. At best its an ok film, not on the level of say the 1954 A Star is Born, the 1936 Showboat or Cukor's My Fair Lady. If it was as indelible as those particular films then a remake would be foolish indeed. There are at least a few angles a remake could go with to perhaps avoiding pointlessness. For one, maybe a more authentic "ethnic" cast in a modern urban milieu? Besides that, in theory at least it wouldn't be too hard to find a better actress than the rather, uh, limited Natalie Wood.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:36 am 

I'll just zero-in on this remark, and slowly back away…
Numero Trois wrote:
At best its an ok film, not on the level of… Cukor's My Fair Lady

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:38 am 
Dot Com Dom

Thank you. I am trying very hard to be a more positive person, but lord I am tested

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 3:51 am 

I think the joke is that those are all movies that were successfully remade? I dunno, West Side Story strikes me as being an artifact rather than an evergreen story (since, obviously, the part that does translate is the part of it that's Romeo and Juliet) and that any modern version of it would either be winkingly making fun of the original or trying desperately to pretend that it's not obviously material from another time, both of which sound exasperating to me.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 10, 2014 4:42 am 

Cold Bishop wrote:
I'll just zero-in on this remark, and slowly back away…
Numero Trois wrote:
At best its an ok film, not on the level of… Cukor's My Fair Lady

The main thing I remember it for is Marni Nixon's voice which is needless to say, unimpeachable. Been years since I've seen the film, so I'll stand by that at least.

matrixschmatrix wrote:
and that any modern version of it would either be winkingly making fun of the original or trying desperately to pretend that it's not obviously material from another time, both of which sound exasperating to me

The reviews for the 2009 Broadway revival describe it as using extensive Spanish singing and text for the Latino gang. Again, with a more "authentic" cast. Didn't see it, but that may indicate that there is a way to remake it successfully without completely running away from the source text.

EDIT: I said Julie Andrews but I meant Nixon

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 12:47 pm 

Numero Trois wrote:
The main thing I remember it for is Marni Nixon's voice which is needless to say, unimpeachable.

And of course, it was Nixon who dubbed Natalie Wood in West Side Story.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 3:43 pm 

West Side Story still works pretty good -- performed live, on stage...

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:12 pm 

Stephen Sondheim has never liked the film, and he says he'll go the grave believing that. Just a few years ago, speaking to a college crowd with Frank Rich, he argues that with cinema, there's always an element of reportage. Doesn't matter if you're Jean Cocteau or whoever, it's there, and he doesn't think the musical worked as a film because the straight translation never addresses this problem. As a result, what works on stage can look ridiculous on screen.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 4:37 pm 

I see no reason why WSS couldn't be filmed again -- given the right cast and the right approach. But I see nothing in Spielberg's resume that would suggest he might be a suitable candidate for undertaking such a task (and having it succeed).

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 5:27 pm 

I wonder which Spielberg film will be the first to be re-made? :P :lol:

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 6:46 pm 

Michael Kerpan wrote:
West Side Story still works pretty good -- performed live, on stage...

Yeah, it's one of the all-time great musicals, and I find the movie a chore to watch, so I don't see any reason why a better movie can't be made of it.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 9:01 pm 

FrauBlucher wrote:

Hook, probably, because it is the only film of his that could be improved by someone else.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:29 pm 

Cremildo wrote:
FrauBlucher wrote:

Hook, probably, because it is the only film of his that could be improved by someone else.

You honestly think this is the rationale for remaking anything?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2014 11:50 pm 

Catch Me If You Can has already been made into a musical if that counts.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2014 8:31 am 

I'm pretty sure JAWS has been remade many times over.

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2014 2:02 pm 

E.T. too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 11:37 pm 

At nearly 70, Spielberg is on a bit of a tear. If things go as planned, he'll have five films in five consecutive years -- juggling filming, post, and press schedules for multiple films at once, as he's done several times before.

Following last year's stellar Bridge of Spies, he's got The BFG in the can and coming out in July. Ready Player One will be filming by then, but a lengthy post-production (and avoidance of a certain galaxy far, far away) will push its release to March of 2018. While that's in post, Spielberg will shoot and release the just-announced The Kidnapping Of Edgardo Mortara. Then he'll spend the following year readying the next Indiana Jones installment for a summer 2019 release. If he's eyeing retirement in the near future, it looks like he intends to go out with a bang.

Post subject: Steven Spielberg
PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:31 am 

It's strange. I don't think of him being 70.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 172 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next