BFI (British Film Institute)

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

rapta

Re: BFI (British Film Institute)

#1276 Post by rapta » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:06 pm

kindaikun wrote:
rapta wrote: - No current plans for upgrades to Japanese DVD titles (though they didn't elaborate - I was mostly asking about Kurosawa). In particular, no more Ozu upgrades as people have been consistently requesting, due to the materials not being suitable.
Any idea what that means for their plan to release all 32 Ozu films they had access to? They'd been releasing the last few in DVD sets but they don't seem to have any plans to finish the run. Or did you only ask about bluray upgrades?
Perhaps the sales of the DVD sets weren't good enough to justify licensing the others? I dunno, somewhat foolishly I didn't ask about that.
FrauBlucher wrote:
rapta wrote:- No current plans for upgrades to Japanese DVD titles (though they didn't elaborate - I was mostly asking about Kurosawa). In particular, no more Ozu upgrades as people have been consistently requesting, due to the materials not being suitable.
Perhaps Criterion has secured UK rights to many of the Kurosawa and Ozu films.
True. I remember Kevin (ex-Eureka) feeling frustrated when they bought up titles they were planning for Blu-ray (which included Grey Gardens). Maybe they did the same with some BFI titles. That said, you would think they would've started releasing them already if that was the case? Ikaru at least, or some of their older Kurosawa releases.

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1277 Post by Drucker » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:11 pm

Gotta wonder how many of these BFI cancellations are situations where it turns out the available materials are not up to snuff. Why risk putting out a title that's going to be slammed on PQ review sites?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1278 Post by tenia » Mon Aug 01, 2016 12:23 pm

Drucker wrote:Why risk putting out a title that's going to be slammed on PQ review sites?
I'm quite certain that in some cases, it's sadly too late and too costy for some labels to cancel the release without losing a shit-load of money (along with a small bit of reputation).

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1279 Post by Drucker » Mon Aug 01, 2016 1:19 pm

Oh I'm aware, but maybe these are circumstances where they did get access to the elements in time to cancel the release.

bergelson

#1280 Post by bergelson » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:24 am

Perhaps you could ask your source about Terence Davies upgrades. His "Trilogy" and "Distant Voices, Still Lives" should make it to Blu-ray. (I would like to see "Neon Bible" and "House of Mirth" as well but I don't think BFI has them).

criterionsnob

#1281 Post by criterionsnob » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:51 pm

BFI has announced a September 16 cinema release of Victor Erice's El sur.

There was talk of more Erice from Criterion at a 2015 Wexner talk, so hopefully this means a Criterion blu-ray is coming soon too.

AK

#1282 Post by AK » Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:56 pm

Love that film so much, just came to the forums to see whether there might be any new info on when BFI are releasing it. Since I don't live in the UK I'm out of luck with the theatrical run, but I suppose they'll have it out on Blu-ray reasonably soon? (At least judging from how they've handled Napoléon)

rapta

#1283 Post by rapta » Fri Sep 09, 2016 3:54 am

I expect we'll see the Dual Format edition announced for early 2017 then! From the trailer the BFI posted it looks wonderful. Hopefully means we'll see more restored Erice (and Spanish cinema in general).

thirtyframesasecond

#1284 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Fri Sep 09, 2016 8:59 am

Any chance of the Quince Tree Sun being released with English subs?

vincanss

#1285 Post by vincanss » Wed Sep 21, 2016 2:46 pm

Drucker wrote:It's a shame they didn't wait to release the newest restoration of Seven Samurai.
Really? Is that the one the Criterion uses?

Moshrom

#1286 Post by Moshrom » Thu Sep 22, 2016 3:42 pm

vincanss wrote:
Drucker wrote:It's a shame they didn't wait to release the newest restoration of Seven Samurai.
Really? Is that the one the Criterion uses?
The Criterion one is newer, but the 4K Toho one is newest.

furbicide

#1287 Post by furbicide » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:32 am

thirtyframesasecond wrote:Any chance of the Quince Tree Sun being released with English subs?
While I'd also love to see BFI bring it out, it is already available in a great DVD with English subs – it's a bit pricey, but there are still a handful of copies floating around on Spanish Amazon, Ebay and elsewhere under El Sol del Membrillo.

https://www.amazon.fr/Songe-lumiere-Dre ... +membrillo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

thirtyframesasecond

#1288 Post by thirtyframesasecond » Sat Sep 24, 2016 2:01 pm

furbicide wrote:
thirtyframesasecond wrote:Any chance of the Quince Tree Sun being released with English subs?
While I'd also love to see BFI bring it out, it is already available in a great DVD with English subs – it's a bit pricey, but there are still a handful of copies floating around on Spanish Amazon, Ebay and elsewhere under El Sol del Membrillo.

https://www.amazon.fr/Songe-lumiere-Dre ... +membrillo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Does it definitely have English subs? That Amazon listing doesn't suggest so. The Amazon Spanish DVD only has French subs.

Robin Davies

#1289 Post by Robin Davies » Sun Sep 25, 2016 8:19 am

thirtyframesasecond wrote:Does it definitely have English subs? That Amazon listing doesn't suggest so. The Amazon Spanish DVD only has French subs.
It's this 2-disc edition:
https://www.amazon.es/sol-del-membrillo ... +membrillo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I've got it and it does have English subs.

furbicide

#1290 Post by furbicide » Mon Sep 26, 2016 6:53 am

Yep. If you're buying and looking for English subs, the ones you want to avoid are the French 'Le Songe de la Lumiere' DVD and the two-film set with El Sur. The Spanish 2-disc 'El Sol del Membrillo' does have English subs (I also have a copy; it's fantastic and comes with quite a few special features). This earlier release seems to have had a different cover (the one you want has the close-up of the quince bounded by black bars), but all the specs are the same I think:

http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film/DVDReview ... flight.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

rapta

#1291 Post by rapta » Tue Oct 11, 2016 8:04 am

Good news for fans of Mark Cousins - BFI just announced as distributor for his new film Stockholm My Love starring Neneh Cherry in her first acting role: http://www.screendaily.com/news/bfi-tak ... 99.article" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Pretty much guaranteed a DF edition for that one then, since they released I Am Belfast (which I still need to pick up). Probably not 'til this time next year though, seeing as the theatrical release is being planned for mid-2017.

rapta

#1292 Post by rapta » Tue Oct 25, 2016 3:38 pm

Incredible news - apparently the BFI have 'offered' to release Lino Brocka's MANILA IN THE CLAWS OF LIGHT [MAYNILA] in the UK (with Criterion acquiring it for the US/Canada, and Carlotta interested in acquiring it for France):

http://entertainment.inquirer.net/20475 ... as-maynila" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

After the rumours a few years ago I was hoping we'd see some movement on Brocka's restored features soon, but I was under the impression Eureka would try and release it over here. After the BFI's release of Black Girl and Second Run's Mysterious Object at Noon, I supposed Eureka's 'partnership' with WCP had ended (prematurely, some may say), so it does make sense that BFI are now the potential distributors of this film.

No word when we'll see it exactly but I'm guessing sometime in the new year, and I also hope we get Brocka's INSIANG too (which is also ready - there are clips/trailers on YouTube). BFI would be wise to do a double-set in fact, unless Eureka/Second Run/Arrow are interested in that one.

L.A.

#1293 Post by L.A. » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:09 am

Manila in the Claws of Light and Insiang together would be fantastic. Add Manuel Conde's Genghis Khan as a third feature in the same package and this would be stunning.
Last edited by L.A. on Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:50 am, edited 1 time in total.

rapta

#1294 Post by rapta » Wed Oct 26, 2016 8:38 am

Some more mind-blowing news today - the BFI are releasing Scorsese's WHO'S THAT KNOCKING AT MY DOOR? and ALICE DOESN'T LIVE HERE ANYMORE in the new year as Dual Format Editions!

Incredible news, I'm sure you'd all agree. I wonder if this means BFI can get hold of more Warner Bros titles, since other than Criterion they seem to be the only label who can manage to sub-license from them (having previously released Gaslight, The Devils, Revolution etc). I guess they'd have to drum up enough support from associated parties, and in this case they're having a whole Scorsese season...

PS: in that article there's also mention of the 4K-restored The Age of Innocence, and being a Sony title I assume Eureka or Criterion will be all over that (with an outside chance of new label Indicator, but I'd be surprised).

Big Ben

#1295 Post by Big Ben » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:03 am

Terrific news to wake up to! Thanks for bringing this to my attention rapta!

rapta

#1296 Post by rapta » Wed Oct 26, 2016 9:30 am

No worries! I'm as joyed as you were when I read this. I'm now very intrigued to see which 20 films Scorsese has hand-picked to show at the BFI season. Apparently they'll all be from The Film Foundation and World Cinema Project, and I wonder if some of them will subsequently get released on Blu-ray by the BFI, Eureka, Second Run, Arrow etc.

Ecstatic about BFI's upcoming slate if it already includes Scorsese (x2), Erice, and possibly even Brocka! Oh, and Clouzot's The Wages of Fear is finally almost ready too. :D

Jean-Luc Garbo

#1297 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Wed Oct 26, 2016 6:06 pm

rapta wrote:PS: in that article there's also mention of the 4K-restored The Age of Innocence....
I thought that Scorsese said Sony couldn't find the original negative?

tenia
Ask Me About My Bassoon

#1298 Post by tenia » Thu Oct 27, 2016 5:14 am

Scorsese says it wa made from the OCN.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uq_NoeTP3U0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
(restoration details start at 6 min 30)
OCN scanned at 4K wet gat at Cineric, then the digital files were sent to Colorworks for a 4K color-grading, and then to Presad for restoration.

rapta

#1299 Post by rapta » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:01 am

Okay, just confirmed to me that the BFI have both Brocka's Manila in the Claws of Light and Insiang and will be released together in a double-set in March. Full specs tomorrow!

Also, The Wages of Fear will be coming sometime in the first half of 2017, and The Glass Shield is definitely now a Dual Format Edition again. Full Q1 2017 announcements tomorrow..I know I'm excited!

perkizitore

#1300 Post by perkizitore » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:35 am

Jean-Luc Garbo wrote:
rapta wrote:PS: in that article there's also mention of the 4K-restored The Age of Innocence....
I thought that Scorsese said Sony couldn't find the original negative?
I thought the EU blu-rays were sourced from that 4K restoration?