Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
antnield

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#826 Post by antnield » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:36 pm

captveg wrote:True. Arrow released one of my "holy grail" MGM titles that I never thought would make it to Blu-ray, too. (That title being Suture).
Suture was a former MGM title, the rights had reverted back to the filmmakers when Arrow licenced it.
captveg wrote:The Lion in Winter (1968) (with Twilight Time, awaiting better transfer I believe)
StudioCanal and Rialto carried out a 4K restoration last year, with a handful of US theatrical screenings taking place last month.

captveg

#827 Post by captveg » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:41 pm

Ah. Hadn't looked at the fine print on the Suture Arrow release.

In any case, good times to be a Blu-ray fan of films in the current MGM library.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#828 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:59 pm

And yet no one has put out CQ or the Baxter yet

dwk

#829 Post by dwk » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:25 pm

captveg wrote: The Lion in Winter (1968) (with Twilight Time, awaiting better transfer I believe)
I thought that Twilight Time gave that back because they couldn't get access to StudioCanal's 4K remaster?

knives

#830 Post by knives » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:28 pm

domino harvey wrote:And yet no one has put out CQ or the Baxter yet
Isn't The Baxter with IFC?

FrauBlucher

#831 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:35 pm

dwk wrote:
captveg wrote: The Lion in Winter (1968) (with Twilight Time, awaiting better transfer I believe)
I thought that Twilight Time gave that back because they couldn't get access to StudioCanal's 4K remaster?
Could this get released by someone else based on rights of elements? I asked a rep with Rialto and he wouldn't answer. Unless Mr Lime picked up the rights and can get a deal done with Studio Canal for the 4K.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#832 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 11, 2017 4:54 pm

knives wrote:
domino harvey wrote:And yet no one has put out CQ or the Baxter yet
Isn't The Baxter with IFC?
MGM put out the DVD

The Fanciful Norwegian

#833 Post by The Fanciful Norwegian » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:10 pm

I doubt they have any rights to it now. Before 2006, IFC didn't have its own video arm and had an arrangement for MGM for releasing on DVD. All of those MGM-IFC titles are now OOP and the video rights probably reverted to IFC. The Criterion Y tu mamá también is licensed from IFC with no mention of MGM, and most of those titles (Nobody Knows, Touching the Void, The Saddest Music in the World, etc.) are available on digital from IFC. Right now The Baxter seems to be exclusive to Sundance Now, with IFC listed as the studio.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#834 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jan 11, 2017 5:29 pm

Interesting, thanks!

PfR73

#835 Post by PfR73 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 11:32 am

I'd love to see someone put out Mark Romanek's Static, which I believe is with MGM. I've been wanting to see it for years.

beamish13

#836 Post by beamish13 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:05 pm

PfR73 wrote:I'd love to see someone put out Mark Romanek's Static, which I believe is with MGM. I've been wanting to see it for years.
That's a favourite of mine, too. It's out on a terrible grey market disc that's essentially a VHS rip. You're right in assuming that it should be with MGM, as it was produced by MCEG, and their holdings (including Keith Gordon's subsequent The Chocolate War) went to the Lion. An important document of independent American cinema, and a wholly unique work that deserves far more recognition.

rockysds

#837 Post by rockysds » Mon Jan 16, 2017 2:47 pm

Blu of André de Toth's The Indian Fighter soon.

captveg

#838 Post by captveg » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:27 pm

MisterLime seems to have listed Von Sternberg's Ana-ta-han (1953) here, though no formal announcement has been made.

vidussoni

#840 Post by vidussoni » Mon Jan 16, 2017 4:50 pm

The Von Sternberg title was listed in this press release from last August.
COMPANY LAUNCHES KINO LORBER REPERTORY, NEW LABEL SPECIALIZING IN RESTORATIONS AND THEATRICAL RELEASES OF CLASSIC AND CULT TITLES

New York, NY – August 29, 2016 – Kino Lorber is proud to announce the creation of a theatrical repertory label dedicated to releasing restored classics and sought-after cult films, as well as acquiring new catalog titles and tapping onto the company’s long-curated library of over 1,500 titles.

Kino Lorber Repertory starts with a mandate to re-release 10 to 12 titles a year in select theaters nationwide, allowing these important works of cinema to connect with audiences in the theatrical space. All titles will eventually become available on home media and digital outlets, via Kino Lorber’s already existing relationships with all key digital and physical media partners.

The label will be curated by Jonathan Hertzberg, the company’s Director of Repertory Sales and Acquisitions. Hertzberg will also spearhead the label’s sales and marketing efforts, under CEO Richard Lorber and Senior VP Wendy Lidell. “Kino Lorber Repertory will give us a dedicated spotlight for our ever-growing list of classics and cult films, and also remind exhibitors and audiences of the many wonderful, historically-significant titles already in our catalog,” Hertzberg says.

The label’s first release, slated for September, 2016, is the “Canuxploitation” favorite The Pit, a 1981 horror film that has built up a sizable cult audience over the years. It will play in Alamo Drafthouse cinemas, as well as other venues, nationwide in October, leading up to its Blu-ray premiere on the Kino Lorber Studio Classics label.

Following this release is Philip Kaufman’s The Wanderers, the beloved 1979 gang drama based upon Richard Price’s debut novel. The Wanderers will premiere in Kaufman’s home town of San Francisco in November, followed by dates in New York and around the country, with several of these screenings featuring the direct involvement of Kaufman, Price, Karen Allen and other key members of the production.

Both re-releases are based on new 2K restorations sourced from archival materials.

Future titles on the Kino Lorber Repertory slate will be a Lina Wertmuller retrospective with seven titles, including new restorations of Seven Beauties and Swept Away, Jean-Luc Godard’s La Chinoise and Le Gai Savoir, Andrey Zvyagintsev’s The Return and The Banishment, several new Lobster Films restorations of Buster Keaton favorites, and Josef von Sternberg’s long unavailable final film, Anatahan.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#841 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:26 pm

Kino Lorber releasing This World, Then the Fireworks-- oh boy, can't wait for this insane pulpfest to finally find an audience

cdnchris
Site Admin

#842 Post by cdnchris » Mon Jan 23, 2017 5:54 pm

I totally forgot about that one. Never have seen the whole thing. It was a title some friends and I rented but they voted to shut it off maybe a half hour in, even though I was actually into it. We threw something else on, though I can't remember what (I really want to say it was 8 Heads in a Duffel Bag). I always meant to come back to it but never did. May have to pick it up.

That was a fairly constant problem and I've managed to catch up on a few of them, some just within the last few years, like The Castle.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#843 Post by domino harvey » Mon Jan 23, 2017 6:04 pm

It is utterly bonkers. It makes Kiss Me Deadly look like a genteel Michael Shayne mystery. In many ways it stretches the limits of tasteless excess further than any other pulp literature adaptation I've ever seen. I don't know that I'd want to see another film done in this style, but man oh man it's worth experiencing this one for sure

solaris72

#844 Post by solaris72 » Tue Jan 24, 2017 4:41 pm

domino harvey wrote:It is utterly bonkers. It makes Kiss Me Deadly look like a genteel Michael Shayne mystery. In many ways it stretches the limits of tasteless excess further than any other pulp literature adaptation I've ever seen. I don't know that I'd want to see another film done in this style, but man oh man it's worth experiencing this one for sure
Sounds amazing, I see it's on Amazon Prime, will check it out!

cdnchris
Site Admin

#845 Post by cdnchris » Tue Jan 24, 2017 5:17 pm

Oh damn, didn't notice that. Thanks for pointing it iut!

Jean-Luc Garbo

#846 Post by Jean-Luc Garbo » Wed Jan 25, 2017 1:07 pm

domino harvey wrote:Kino Lorber releasing This World, Then the Fireworks-- oh boy, can't wait for this insane pulpfest to finally find an audience
I'm sold on it just seeing that Sheryl Lee, Gina Gershon, and Billy Zane are the leads.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#847 Post by domino harvey » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:19 am

Kino has signed a deal with a new mystery studio to release over 100 titles. There aren't that many possibilities given that huge figure, so it's probably Universal or Warners. The Blu-ray forums think it's Buena Vista/Disney. Is Miramax still on the table? I'd throw that one in the mix too if so

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#848 Post by Brian C » Wed Feb 08, 2017 10:27 am

Didn't Paramount's deal with WB just expire? Maybe they got those titles.

A BV deal would be really good news though. Maybe we'd finally get that Kundun blu that me and like four other nerds really want.

captveg

#849 Post by captveg » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:07 pm

It's not Paramount, since it's a deal with a major studio that Kino has not had a deal with before. MisterLime said himself there's only the following possibilities: Universal, Sony, Disney, Warner, Lionsgate.

Ribs

#850 Post by Ribs » Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:18 pm

It'll probably just be Sony, right? Until we hear otherwise it seems reasonable to assume it'd be the most boring option.