Mondo Vision

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
merzbau

Re: Mondo Vision

#626 Post by merzbau » Tue Mar 22, 2016 5:48 pm

Just noticed that The Third Part of the Night, The Devil and On the Silver Globe have been combined into "The Polish Trilogy" on their Films page, with a status of "in production." I wonder if Zulawski's passing curtailed some of their plans for these titles and forced them to go ahead with an earlier release?

John Doe

#627 Post by John Doe » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:00 am

merzbau wrote:Just noticed that The Third Part of the Night, The Devil and On the Silver Globe have been combined into "The Polish Trilogy" on their Films page, with a status of "in production." I wonder if Zulawski's passing curtailed some of their plans for these titles and forced them to go ahead with an earlier release?
Are those a Blu-ray releases?

merzbau

#628 Post by merzbau » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:25 am

It doesn't say. It's just a change to the list of films, but doesn't have any release details, just implies that all three are in production together.

SSF

#629 Post by SSF » Tue Jan 03, 2017 3:41 am

Well, it's been almost a year since the last post. If David M is still reading this thread, any updates on The Polish Trilogy release?

David M.

#630 Post by David M. » Tue Jan 10, 2017 12:15 pm

^ Unfortunately not, but I did come here to share this good news!

I asked Mondo Vision where things are at with LA NOTE BLEUE (THE BLUE NOTE) and it turns out it just arrived back from manufacturing, and as you'd expect for an MV title, they've put it in gorgeous packaging. The release date supposedly is set for February 13, 2017, and assuming that doesn't change, it should be available to pre-order on Mondo Vision's web site in the next few days.

Image Image

This is a personal one for me, because it was a long journey to get it onto BD. Originally, Mondo Vision were supplied with a PAL telecine that was covered in noise reduction (it's been released on DVD in numerous countries). I advised them against releasing it even on DVD and for trying for something better, which was not a popular decision at the time (although Mondo Vision agreed). If we released it, we'd be putting out a watchable but not exactly great version of the film. But by not releasing it at all, we'd be nixing the first ever English-friendly version of the film.

Ultimately, I got the rightsholder to agree to do a new scan under the condition that I'd handle all the restoration and grading work on my own, which they'd also have access to. The only way to get it done really was to give them an offer that was too good to refuse. Fortunately they agreed and we ended up with a gorgeous new scan from the negative to work from.

It took a long time to finish the work because of all my other industry commitments in both BD and the CE industry, but it was in a near-finished state by the end of last year. Andrzej was able to see it before he died, and Andrzej Jaroszewicz was able to point out all the parts I'd graded incorrectly when he visited New York in early 2016 (during the American COSMOS premiere). Quite an experience having a legendary DoP sit in your apartment to check the work. I then did final adjustments to correct the grade to its intended look (I'd graded it too hot, and he explained that the look is supposed to be similar to a Baroque painting).

The release also has what is probably the last video interview with Marie-France Pisier, where she discusses working with Zulawski, among other things. It was shot for the cancelled Mondo Vision DVD version in February 2011, and has been archived ever since. I'm glad this entire thing is finally on its way to people's hands.

PianoMan88

#631 Post by PianoMan88 » Tue Jan 10, 2017 5:39 pm

Ooh, that looks beautiful. How can a pianist turn down a movie about Chopin? Looking forward to the release. The LE looks gorgeous, I just ordered "the Possession", it's apparently still in stock on Toufaan's website. My guess is that this release will be a nice companion.

PS: Why must there be so many great releases in the Blu-ray world...an embarrassment of riches, making our wallets quite a bit lighter.

PPS: On a side note, I just watched the last entry of Dekalog, and felt that 50-60 years from now our children will have to inherit these massive LE boxes. Maybe a stamp collection is easier...NOT.

Adam X

#632 Post by Adam X » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:21 pm

Well that's the best sort of 'no update'! Thanks David! It's great to see Mondo continuing with BD releases of their films - I just hope the extra cost doesn't sink the ship.
It looks wonderful, as usual. Been looking forward to this even more since listening to the 4-pt Zulawski retrospective on Samm Deighan & Kat Ellinger's enjoyable Daughters of Darkness podcast.

David M.

#633 Post by David M. » Thu Jan 12, 2017 12:47 pm

Preorders are live on Mondo Vision's site!
http://www.mondo-vision.com/collection.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PianoMan88

#634 Post by PianoMan88 » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:05 pm

David M. wrote:Preorders are live on Mondo Vision's site!
http://www.mondo-vision.com/collection.php" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Wohoo! I wonder if they may ship before the release date. Anyone with previous experience on Mondo Vision releases? I just Pre-Ordered on Toufaan.

The photos of the packaging look even more beautiful/classic/timeless than Possession (although I thought Possession has an almost unbeatable cover image).

Having not seen the movie, I wonder how the pianist portraying Chopin comes off. As a musician I no doubt will love not seeing the typical "fake" piano playing, but it does make me nervous about his acting.

David M.

#635 Post by David M. » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:52 pm

Having not seen the movie, I wonder how the pianist portraying Chopin comes off. As a musician I no doubt will love not seeing the typical "fake" piano playing, but it does make me nervous about his acting.
Zulawski actually addresses this part in the special features. There's a video interview with him that was also shot for the nixed DVD release. I'll be interested in hearing your thoughts.

L.A.

#636 Post by L.A. » Thu Jan 12, 2017 4:51 pm

That is a wonderful looking set. Have to pick up a copy. Which reminds me that I should probably delve into Filmoteka Narodowa's Chopin: Films Motifs as well.

PianoMan88

#637 Post by PianoMan88 » Thu Jan 19, 2017 8:22 pm

Any Canadian/Outside US - Mondo Vision fans here with TOUFAAN order experience? I am contemplating ordering three older LE's, an order above $100, but I am concerned about import/customs fees. Any advice is appreciated.

SSF

#638 Post by SSF » Thu Jan 19, 2017 10:01 pm

PianoMan88 wrote:Any Canadian/Outside US - Mondo Vision fans here with TOUFAAN order experience? I am contemplating ordering three older LE's, an order above $100, but I am concerned about import/customs fees. Any advice is appreciated.
Just received my LE copy of Possession.

No issues, no customs.

Mathew2468

#639 Post by Mathew2468 » Fri Jan 20, 2017 10:15 am

PianoMan88 wrote:Any Canadian/Outside US - Mondo Vision fans here with TOUFAAN order experience? I am contemplating ordering three older LE's, an order above $100, but I am concerned about import/customs fees. Any advice is appreciated.
I think they mark them as gifts so there aren't any import fees. I don't remember. Never had trouble.

kwippleton

#640 Post by kwippleton » Thu Feb 02, 2017 11:39 am

Diabolik DVD is listing having the standard and limited editions of LA NOTE BLEUE in stock, so hoping that MV preorders start going out soon!

SSF

#641 Post by SSF » Sat Jul 08, 2017 2:34 pm

Daniel Bird states in the On the Sliver Globe episode of The Projection Booth podcast states that he has "no idea if it (the Blu-Ray) will ever come out."

Interesting as I assumed Daniel Bird is working on Mondo Vision's Blu Ray of The Polish Trilogy, (The Devil, The Third Part of the Night, On the Silver Globe) as he's worked on the other Zulawski releases.

Does David MacKenzie have any info on this?

pricey

#642 Post by pricey » Fri Jul 14, 2017 8:29 am

I ordered La Note Bleue LTD edition to the UK, and got a very high import fee (£21.00) slapped on top, so it cost me just shy of £100. I'd avoid Toufaan outside of US, and stick with Diabolik or if stuff shows up on Ebay. Great release though, hopefully they'll license the print out to Arrow or Second Sight so it can be seen in Europe.

cpetrizzi

#643 Post by cpetrizzi » Mon Sep 25, 2017 9:47 pm

Last night I ordered 4 limited edition sets through Toufaan and the other 2 through Amazon

(1 of Andrzej Zulawski's L'Amour Braque (Limpet Love, 1985) UNCUT Premium Signature Edition [LIMITED: 2,000 Numbered Sets] by MONDO VISION

1 of Andrzej Zulawski's SZAMANKA (She-Shaman, 1996) UNCUT Premium Signature Edition [LIMITED: 2,000 Numbered Sets] by MONDO VISION.

I'm surprised they add on such a high customs fee. Is this typical for those who order outside North America or just a quirk of this company? Doesn't seem fair.

menthymenthy

#644 Post by menthymenthy » Mon Dec 04, 2017 3:21 am

In the meantime, Japan is releasing the "Polish trilogy" on blu-ray, April 4th 2018:

Third Part of the Night, The Devil, and On the Silver Globe Blu-ray Box Set:
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/TCBD-692" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

On The Silver Globe (Stand-alone) blu-ray:
http://www.cdjapan.co.jp/product/TCBD-693" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Japanese-only subtitles, of course, but hopefully this pushes MV.

Ron

#645 Post by Ron » Sun Apr 15, 2018 6:50 pm

Does anybody know if the Japanese polish trilogy box set is region locked? If so, will it be released in Europe as well?

W0rldofsound

#646 Post by W0rldofsound » Sun Apr 15, 2018 10:14 pm

Those limited sets are VERY THICK & BULKY (think of each as a boxed set), those high customs are the norm. You might be able to catch a break through diabolikdvd, but it's highly unlikely.
cpetrizzi wrote:Last night I ordered 4 limited edition sets through Toufaan and the other 2 through Amazon

(1 of Andrzej Zulawski's L'Amour Braque (Limpet Love, 1985) UNCUT Premium Signature Edition [LIMITED: 2,000 Numbered Sets] by MONDO VISION

1 of Andrzej Zulawski's SZAMANKA (She-Shaman, 1996) UNCUT Premium Signature Edition [LIMITED: 2,000 Numbered Sets] by MONDO VISION.

I'm surprised they add on such a high customs fee. Is this typical for those who order outside North America or just a quirk of this company? Doesn't seem fair.

Derek Estes

#647 Post by Derek Estes » Sun May 06, 2018 12:24 am

Has anyone heard if MV is able to move forward with any new releases. I heard a rumor that the rights holders were asking for such an exorbitant amount of money that MV couldn’t justify. I’m wondering if crowd funding of some sort could help. I feel the audience for Zulawski might currently be small, but I’d like to think that it would grow if his films were more accessible to the English speaking film goers..

Adam X

#648 Post by Adam X » Sun May 06, 2018 2:05 am

I finally got around to watching La Note Bleue, which was simply a joyous experience. Like most of Zulawski's films, I'm going to need to watch it a few more times to fully take everything in, but regardless of not entirely comprehending the experience (I know very little about the lives of the historical characters presented), it was a wonderful film to see and hear, particularly the more manic renditions of Chopin's work and his way of discovering the sound, the notes, of what he's playing. The puppets & pagan figures scattered throughout were a wonderful addition to the mood as well.

Of course, I can't forget to mention the Mondo Vision release itself - the image is positively luminous. It's beautiful, and really makes me want to get around to watching Possession again sooner rather than later. Thankyou, for all your hard work, David. The packaging too, is probably their best design yet. I really do hope MV manage to release their remaining four Zulawski titles - it'd be a shame to miss out on seeing them presented in such a fashion.

nolanoe

#649 Post by nolanoe » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:55 am

After having seen both ON THE SILVER GLOBE and THIRD PART OF THE NIGHT in stunning HD transfers in cinemas, I figure the one title still pushing back the Trilogy BD box is Diabel. I've never seen it, so I am curious how that will hold up.

Also, as a question to David M: Will MV consider releasing the early releases as Blu-Rays in the future?

Grand Wazoo

#650 Post by Grand Wazoo » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:39 am

I saw Diabel during the Zulawski retro at Lincoln Center and it looked equally as astonishing as the other two.