FrauBlucher

Re: Announcements, Speculation & Wild, Irresponsible Conject

#51 Post by FrauBlucher » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:12 am

You mean like this.....

Costa

#52 Post by Costa » Thu Feb 16, 2017 7:23 pm

Hope for

We need more animation films from boutique labels!

bainbridgezu

#53 Post by bainbridgezu » Thu Feb 16, 2017 8:01 pm

The Plague Dogs would be most welcome, as Martin Rosen says Criterion passed on the title while working with him on Watership Down. Though it doesn't enjoy the stature of its predecessor, that's an oversight which might alleviated with the right treatment (and branding). It's a great film and one that, like another John Hurt title from the era, remains sadly relevant today. "These men are not masters --"

rspaight

#54 Post by rspaight » Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:52 am

Maybe this is a reach, but maybe lab = laboratory? Seems like that would implicate lots of Arrow-y titles.

rapta

#55 Post by rapta » Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:00 am

rspaight wrote:Maybe this is a reach, but maybe lab = laboratory? Seems like that would implicate lots of Arrow-y titles.
It's a clue for Arrow Academy though, so a little more difficult to decipher if you go down that route.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#56 Post by domino harvey » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:45 am

God, what a bunch of junk

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#57 Post by swo17 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:56 am

Well, the Fukasaku looks promising at least.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#58 Post by domino harvey » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:11 pm

Im guessing that's not the director of Evil Ed

dwk

#59 Post by dwk » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:23 pm

Speaking of Cops vs Thugs, Kino released that on DVD alongside Yakuza Graveyard, so it is not too much of a stretch to assume that Arrow also picked up Yakuza Graveyard.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#60 Post by swo17 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:27 pm

Under the Flag of the Rising Sun would be a nice addition. No idea of the rights situation though.

beamish13

#61 Post by beamish13 » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:42 pm

bainbridgezu wrote:The Plague Dogs would be most welcome, as Martin Rosen says Criterion passed on the title while working with him on Watership Down. Though it doesn't enjoy the stature of its predecessor, that's an oversight which might alleviated with the right treatment (and branding). It's a great film and one that, like another John Hurt title from the era, remains sadly relevant today. "These men are not masters --"

That's absolutely astonishing. Plague Dogs is arguably a stronger film than Watership, and one of the very finest movies of the 80's. Rosen's full cut of it is only available as an R4 disc or, if you're fortunate to see it, a 35mm print.

TMDaines

#62 Post by TMDaines » Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:58 pm

Will be buying Phenomena and L'ambizioso.

What A Disgrace

#63 Post by What A Disgrace » Fri Feb 17, 2017 1:53 pm

Brain Damage sounds great, as do the Italian and Japanese gangster film. I'm not sure about double dipping on Phenomena.

dwk

#64 Post by dwk » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:37 pm

swo17 wrote:Under the Flag of the Rising Sun would be a nice addition. No idea of the rights situation though.
Home Vision's DVD was part of the Classics Collection and those were all Janus titles, so it might still be with Janus/Criterion (Fall Guy was the only other Fukasaku title that HVe released that was a Classics Collection title and Criterion definitely still has that one.)

dwk

#65 Post by dwk » Fri Feb 17, 2017 2:59 pm

Someone at the Blu-ray forum pointed this out: Cops vs Thugs special features initially said
• Audio commentary by film scholar Tom Mes
• New video interview with film scholar & Fukasaku biographer Sadao Yamane
• Sympathy for the Underdog, a new visual essay on Fukasaku's career by Marc Walkow
but has been changed to
• Beyond the Film: Cops vs Thugs, a new video appreciation by Fukasaku biographer Sadao Yamane
• A new visual essay on cops & criminals in Fukasaku's works by film scholar Tom Mes
So, it appears that they inadvertently announced they have Sympathy for the Underdog

rapta

#66 Post by rapta » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:07 pm

Hehe that was me, but somebody did point it out on Facebook first - I just posted about this on the Cops vs Thugs thread.

Glad we're getting more Fukasaku after this but personally echo swo's suggestion of Under the Flag of the Rising Sun. That'd be an immediate purchase from me, if they were to announce it.

Finch

#67 Post by Finch » Fri Feb 17, 2017 3:24 pm

Fukasaku's film apart, this month's announcements are terrible (the films, not the releases themselves). Academy to the rescue on Monday, hopefully.

ianungstad

#68 Post by ianungstad » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:23 pm

The Fukasaku should be solid.

There's next to no information on the web about The Climber. I'll wait to see what the reviews are like. Joe Dallesandro in the lead isn't promising.

Brain Damage actually looks like it might be a bit of fun. The alien "Elmer" is intended to look like a penis? Not sure why anyone would want to walk around with that pinned to their shirt.

The trailer for Evil Ed is pretty bad. The horrid dubbing might even make it insufferable. Why is Arrow not including the original Swedish language track? (assuming there is one)

Landjorden

#69 Post by Landjorden » Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:07 am

[quote="ianungstad"
The trailer for Evil Ed is pretty bad. The horrid dubbing might even make it insufferable. Why is Arrow not including the original Swedish language track? (assuming there is one)[/quote]

The movie was made in "English" there is no swedish dub as fas as I know. So pretty much insufferable even for me as a native Swede.

What A Disgrace

#70 Post by What A Disgrace » Sat Feb 18, 2017 11:15 am

Brain Damage sounds like a hoot, and I'm always in for more Fukusaku, poliziotteschi and Argento. I rather like this month's slate.

That dog looks rather pleased with himself. Tree of Wooden Clogs? Or maybe just a more literal I fidonzati.

Cronenfly

#71 Post by Cronenfly » Sun Feb 19, 2017 7:18 pm

I'm going to say Who'll Stop the Rain for the image of the dog, just announced by Twilight Time in the US and based on the book Dog Soldiers. Don't know if it is Academy material per se, but that's my wager anyhow.

rapta

#72 Post by rapta » Mon Feb 20, 2017 9:12 am

Yes, I thought the same myself. I guess we'll find out later today...the link is quite tenuous though, and I wouldn't have guessed it either if I hadn't heard TT were releasing it.

Any Karel Reisz would be Arrow Academy material though - I imagine they'd release The Gambler as an Academy title if they had a Paramount deal.

Ribs

#73 Post by Ribs » Mon Feb 20, 2017 11:42 am

Pretty solid month, all-around (Academy-wise anyway); a bit surprised we didn't get the US release of the Three Films by Jacques Rivette announced considering it's the last of their "catch-up" releases that they've telegraphed. If their lineup looks like this each month for the rest of the year I don't think that'd be too bad.

rapta

#74 Post by rapta » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:06 am

Sad news about Seijun Suzuki, but news like this often comes with a silver lining - Fran Simeoni tweeted this earlier today:
Proud to distribute Suzuki's works in the UK and US and celebrate his wonderful legacy this year with more of his incredible filmography.
Hoping they're able to get titles like Tokyo Drifter, Pistol Opera, Fighting Elegy, Gate of Flesh, Story of a Prostitute, and The Flower and the Angry Waves.

Ribs

#75 Post by Ribs » Wed Feb 22, 2017 10:12 am

I think I'll assume one will be in the likely-coming Nikkatsu Guys 3 and it'll be, like the first one, a fairly low-profile title. If it ends up being a box or something of some of his other stuff that'd be great too, obviously. The fact he mentions UK/US seems to indicate it won't be the titles Criterion put out, either.