Raising Cain

Discuss releases from Arrow and the films on them.

Moderator: yoloswegmaster

oh yeah

Re: The Brian De Palma Collection

#26 Post by oh yeah » Thu Feb 16, 2017 11:41 pm

domino harvey wrote:Raising Cain is awful in every way a film can be bad. I watched the director's cut and the special feature on the differences. As suspected, nothing short of it being a different film could help matters. Such a tiring, broad movie, counterintuitively arranged and ludicrously heightened to the point of second-hand embarrassment at its winking "Isn't this just the worst" absurdity. I guess there's an audience for ultra-arch wanking, but no thanks
I don't know, it's kind of an unpleasant film and has a lot of problems but its manic absurdity is still more interesting to me than Carrie, the incredibly overrated The Untouchables, The Fury, or the completely disastrous Bonfire of the Vanities, to name a few. It just barely skates by on its winking OTT-ness.

Ribs

#27 Post by Ribs » Fri Feb 17, 2017 11:23 am

Yeah, I'd put it towards the middle of the De Palma catalog, to be honest - it doesn't do the cardinal sin of his worst (being dull) but other than the last set-piece which is typically insane it's kind of just petering along. I've not yet seen the Director's Cut edit though I'm looking forward to it. For a guy who almost always has a real flair for ending shots it's also one of his best, which is saying something.

colinr0380

#28 Post by colinr0380 » Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:51 am

The ending shot is so amusing it turns up again:
SpoilerShow
at the end of Passion!