Get Out (Jordan Peele, 2017)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
cantinflas

#1 Post by cantinflas » Wed Oct 05, 2016 1:23 am

Roger Ryan

Re: Trailers for Upcoming Films

#2 Post by Roger Ryan » Wed Oct 05, 2016 8:24 am

cantinflas wrote:Jordan Peele's Get Out
Quite disheartening that not a single YouTube commentator seemed to recognize that Peele's film is satirical. The "mind is a terrible thing to waste", indeed.

big ticket

Re: The Films of 2017

#3 Post by big ticket » Fri Feb 17, 2017 7:30 pm

I should suppose it will generate enough discussion to warrant its own thread upon release, but Richard Brody posted a few words on Jordan Peele's Get Out, in which he claims that the first-time director is "already an American Bunuel."

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

Re: The Films of 2017

#4 Post by domino harvey » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:31 pm

This film is still holding at 100% on Rotten Tomatoes with 115 critics so far reporting a positive score :shock:

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

Re: Get Out (Jordan Peele, 2017)

#5 Post by swo17 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:44 pm

And yet only a 6.8 on IMDb.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#6 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 1:59 pm

IMDB's ratings are a flaming pile of alt-right.

That being said, I don't think many critics are claiming that this is an unassailable masterpiece, a lot of the review scores are in the 3 out of 4 stars, 4 out of 5 stars neck of the woods. Which is still a fresh tomatah'

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#7 Post by domino harvey » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:00 pm

I wonder which of these two metrics allow outraged racists to punish a film sight unseen for having the temerity to discuss race

EDIT mfunk beat me to it

knives

#8 Post by knives » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:01 pm

Given the plot of the film I also imagine a lot of old school Stanely Kramer style liberals will be made uncomfortable by it.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#9 Post by mfunk9786 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:03 pm

domino harvey wrote:I wonder which of these two metrics allow outraged racists to punish a film sight unseen for having the temerity to discuss race

EDIT mfunk beat me to it
Don't forget sexism. It's the laziest and easiest way to troll to make an IMDB account and give something you haven't seen 1 star out of 10, the site is outdated and worthless at this point and they should get rid of the ratings if they want it to ever be taken seriously as a research tool again.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#10 Post by domino harvey » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:05 pm

knives wrote:Given the plot of the film I also imagine a lot of old school Stanely Kramer style liberals will be made uncomfortable by it.
Considering the boldest film made about race in recent memory, Manderlay, also focused its satiric sights on do-good white liberalism, I say bring it on

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#11 Post by Brian C » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:24 pm

knives wrote:Given the plot of the film I also imagine a lot of old school Stanely Kramer style liberals will be made uncomfortable by it.
I think it's ok if a black guy made it.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#12 Post by swo17 » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:28 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:IMDB's ratings are a flaming pile of alt-right.
Ha, if you omit all of the '1' scores, its average IMDb rating shoots up to 8.4.

Dead or Deader

#13 Post by Dead or Deader » Fri Feb 24, 2017 2:37 pm

I Am Not Your Negro sits at 6.8 on IMDB, with a YUGE gender gap between males and females viewing the film.

knives

#14 Post by knives » Fri Feb 24, 2017 3:03 pm

Brian C wrote:
Not if history is any indicator or need I bring up the differing reactions to Finian's Rainbow versus Watermelon Man.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#15 Post by Brian C » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:33 pm

knives wrote:
Brian C wrote:
Not if history is any indicator or need I bring up the differing reactions to Finian's Rainbow versus Watermelon Man.
I would suggest that current social trends would be better determined from things that happened more recently than nearly 50 years ago.

But to undermine my own point, I'll offer up Spike Lee's Bamboozled.

pzadvance

#16 Post by pzadvance » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:39 pm

Criterion just posted an interview they conducted with Peele.
I got to see a screening of this movie the other night and can confirm it's pretty great. Sharp, pointed satire that grows truly terrifying the deeper it goes.

knives

#17 Post by knives » Fri Feb 24, 2017 5:41 pm

Brian C wrote: I would suggest that current social trends would be better determined from things that happened more recently than nearly 50 years ago.

But to undermine my own point, I'll offer up Spike Lee's Bamboozled.
Fair on both points. I think the uneasy treatment of Lee's social films versus even as aggressive white made films as Tarantino's speaks volumes for this comfort white liberals want to maintain.

TMDaines

#18 Post by TMDaines » Sat Feb 25, 2017 9:48 am

mfunk9786 wrote:
domino harvey wrote:I wonder which of these two metrics allow outraged racists to punish a film sight unseen for having the temerity to discuss race

EDIT mfunk beat me to it
Don't forget sexism. It's the laziest and easiest way to troll to make an IMDB account and give something you haven't seen 1 star out of 10, the site is outdated and worthless at this point and they should get rid of the ratings if they want it to ever be taken seriously as a research tool again.
IMDb is "outdated and worthless"? IMDb is one of the greatest repositories of information on the Internet and de facto in any medium. It's absolutely invaluable for easily accessing information on close to any film in history.

Why would you want them to get rid of ratings when for millions of people that is a primary means by which they track and memorise their film viewing?

Any democratic poll can be trolled or abused, look at Brexit or Trump, that's the inherent flaw in democracy treating everybody's voice as equal regardless of the thought (or lack thereof) or intention behind the votes. It's worth pointing out that IMDb does not use anything close to a crude mean for calculating it's IMDb score. You might want to research this, as your suggestion of creating multiple new accounts to submit 1/10 ratings onto a film will achieve sweet fuck all.

Since your attempt to throw the baby out with the bathwater, the film now sits with a 7.7 score from 2804 votes, but as this is a new film with a relatively low quantity of votes and a surge of viewers to vote on it in weeks to come, it will still be highly volatile.

Please stop falling into absolute hyperbole every time something doesn't quite agree with you. You are clearly way more intelligent than this.

"The site is outdated and worthless" – mfunk on IMDb. Seen it all now.

hearthesilence

#19 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:26 pm

Metacritic is a better indicator than Rotten Tomatoes of critical word-of-mouth. Unlike Rotten Tomatoes, which just gives it up a thumbs-up-thumbs-down score that weighs marginal approval on par with effusive praise, they factor in the actual grade/rating if one is given, and if not, they make a decent (albeit flawed) attempt at scoring a review based on the content.

I actually paid little attention to the hype on this film. I loved his show, but like most sketch shows, I found the content wildly uneven (fit more for viral viewing/vetting). But I'm surprised and pleased by the excellent reviews. Not a lot of comedians can translate their work into successful films, let alone works that are genuinely great as films (instead of a patchwork of sketch material).

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#20 Post by mfunk9786 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:37 pm

Metacritic's user score is outdated and worthless too.

hearthesilence

#21 Post by hearthesilence » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:33 pm

Hah, I'll be honest, I don't bother looking at user reactions anywhere, they've proven themselves to be worthless after all the garbage that happened on Rotten Tomatoes when a large number of their users attacked any critic that didn't fall head over heels over the latest Marvel movie.

swo17
Bloodthirsty Butcher

#22 Post by swo17 » Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:38 pm

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#24 Post by domino harvey » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:40 pm

I'm guessing people went to see it primarily because it was a well-marketed horror movie, but it's kinda great that a satire about race can pull in over $30 million on opening weekend. Variety says Peele has now been vaulted to the A-List as a result

knives

#25 Post by knives » Sun Feb 26, 2017 6:44 pm

Without seeing the film I couldn't be happier. Peele seems like a genuinely great and enthusiastic guy. His show had a lot of smarts and a cinematic vibe which even dramatic shows rarely achieve.