It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:39 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2932 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113 ... 118  Next
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: Twilight Time
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:07 pm 
Site Admin
User avatar

Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2004 2:45 pm
Location: Washington
I don't think it's that. It's just really hard to believe Allen would say "no" on features to Criterion right from their LaserDisc days, through MGM'S (and even Sony's and Dreamworks') DVD releases, to Arrow's box sets but then be okay with this one title from Twilight Time.


Top
 Profile  
 

 Post subject: Re: Twilight Time
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:21 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:28 pm
Another possibility is Allen's people having signed off on it by mistake (thinking perhaps is was a written commentary and not an audio commentary) and then using their MGM channels to nix it for TT in a roundabout way.

In other news, Lilies of the Field is sold out at Screen Archives, but still available at Twilight Time's site.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Twilight Time
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 4:57 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 16, 2009 11:58 am
Location: Chicago, IL
captveg wrote:
Another possibility is Allen's people having signed off on it by mistake (thinking perhaps is was a written commentary and not an audio commentary) and then using their MGM channels to nix it for TT in a roundabout way.

Funny, that sounds suspiciously like the scenario I outlined above, that you said there was "no reason" to believe.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Twilight Time
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 5:04 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:28 pm
Brian C wrote:
captveg wrote:
Another possibility is Allen's people having signed off on it by mistake (thinking perhaps is was a written commentary and not an audio commentary) and then using their MGM channels to nix it for TT in a roundabout way.

Funny, that sounds suspiciously like the scenario I outlined above, that you said there was "no reason" to believe.


I see some key differences:

1. No one in my scenario is trying to screw over someone else intentionally. Mine's a result of unintentional miscommunication rather than some sneaky scheming.

2. No one in my scenario is lying about what occurred, based on the information they are actually privy to.


Not every scenario needs a villain. That's what there's no reason to believe.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Twilight Time
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 7:11 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 8:22 am
Location: The Room
Forget it Jake, it's Twilight Time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Twilight Time
PostPosted: Wed Mar 22, 2017 11:33 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sun Feb 08, 2009 4:11 pm
Location: Brisbane, QLD, Australia
captveg wrote:
In other news, Lilies of the Field is sold out at Screen Archives, but still available at Twilight Time's site.

Now looks as if the same applies to Moby Dick.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Twilight Time
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:36 am 

Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:04 pm
Front page of the Screen Archives website offers a 30% off code. When I put it into my order it said "Code accepted and applied" but it actually didn't do the math. Wondering if anyone else encountered this.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Twilight Time
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:51 am 
User avatar

Joined: Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:15 pm
I'm assuming the code is only for the CD soundtracks listed below the code announcement.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Twilight Time
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 10:57 am 

Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:04 pm
Ah, it was all kind of jumbled together so I figured I could swing it.

CSM126 wrote:
Forget it Jake, it's Twilight Time.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Twilight Time
PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2017 1:50 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:28 pm
Stephen wrote:
captveg wrote:
In other news, Lilies of the Field is sold out at Screen Archives, but still available at Twilight Time's site.

Now looks as if the same applies to Moby Dick.


And getting low in quantity at their site, too:

MISSISSIPPI BURNING - fewer than 300
10 TO MIDNIGHT - fewer than 100
LILIES OF THE FIELD - fewer than 200
MOBY DICK - fewer than 220


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Twilight Time
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 5:59 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Greenwich Village
I wouldn't normally post reviews of TT's discs, but I found this one particular odd. Gary tried to be effusive about the PQ, especially the colors, yet did a take down on everything else about the PQ. Clearly there is DNR applied. His captures appear to show a waxiness... Gary seems to me that he's trying to be diplomatic about this awful presentation. I'm not sure why. Even the colors, again based on his caps,
Beaver wrote:
They are as saturated and deep as I have witnessed on home video.
don't seem anymore luminous than some of the other 50's color films to my eye... Maybe he's playing to a certain someone?

Beaver on Payton Place


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Twilight Time
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:15 am 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:13 am
Judging from the caps on Beaver, I'd be wary on making any definitive statement on PQ.
First, Gary's caps are what they are, meaning notoriously untrustworthy on colors, compression and digital filtering.
Second, it looks like it's a Fox restoration akin to The Blue Max, Desk Set, Wild River and co, where the restored color timing is debatable to say the least.
But it does seem to be a new 4K restoration which doesn't appear to be noticeably tinkered with. It might just be a combination of softer elements, 4K very fine grain and Gary's capturing method.

(just my 2 cents)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Twilight Time
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 7:53 am 

Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:49 am
tenia wrote:
Judging from the caps on Beaver, I'd be wary on making any definitive statement on PQ.
First, Gary's caps are what they are, meaning notoriously untrustworthy on colors, compression and digital filtering.
Second, it looks like it's a Fox restoration akin to The Blue Max, Desk Set, Wild River and co, where the restored color timing is debatable to say the least.
But it does seem to be a new 4K restoration which doesn't appear to be noticeably tinkered with. It might just be a combination of softer elements, 4K very fine grain and Gary's capturing method.

(just my 2 cents)


Fox restorations also seem to apply varying levels of 'grain management', particularly in the darker areas of the image (which seems to flatten the blacks somewhat IMHO)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Twilight Time
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:03 am 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Apr 29, 2009 11:13 am
I'm not sure if it's so much the result of a grain management or of the newer color timing.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Twilight Time
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 8:12 am 

Joined: Sat Nov 08, 2014 6:49 am
tenia wrote:
I'm not sure if it's so much the result of a grain management or of the newer color timing.


Check out some of the B&W Fox restorations, it does seem like they like to degrain the blacks, and flatten them to varying degrees in the process.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Twilight Time
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:31 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:28 pm
Moby Dick has sold out.

Update for quantities at Twilight Time's site:

Fewer than 10 Copies

Funny Lady
Violent Saturday

Fewer than 25

Birdman of Alcatraz
Mindwarp

Fewer than 50

The Happy Ending
Runaway Train

Fewer than 100

10 to Midnight (Sold Out at SAE)
The Believers
Bring Me the Head of Alfredo Garcia (Encore Edition)
The Hawaiians
Save Your Legs!
Solomon and Sheba


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Twilight Time
PostPosted: Mon Mar 27, 2017 3:55 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:10 am
Location: Atlanta
Seeing how Thunderbirds double feature ended up with Kino Lorber and the Sony titles getting released in superior region Free editions from Powerhouse/Indicator Series, I no longer see the need to support this label, at least until the prices drop below $14.95...


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Twilight Time
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 12:57 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:28 pm
10 to Midnight has sold out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Twilight Time
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:34 pm 

Joined: Sat Jan 14, 2017 3:04 pm
Is the March sale at screen archives something that happens more than once a year?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Twilight Time
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:49 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Sat Jun 12, 2010 6:10 pm
JohnShade wrote:
Is the March sale at screen archives something that happens more than once a year?

I think they tend to have some sort of sale in November.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Twilight Time
PostPosted: Fri Mar 31, 2017 5:54 pm 

Joined: Sun Jul 19, 2009 12:45 am
Ashirg wrote:
Seeing how Thunderbirds double feature ended up with Kino Lorber and the Sony titles getting released in superior region Free editions from Powerhouse/Indicator Series, I no longer see the need to support this label, at least until the prices drop below $14.95...

I feel the same way, though I broke down and bought two MGM titles during this sale for $14.95. To buy any more Sony TT titles would be the definition of insanity.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Twilight Time
PostPosted: Sat Apr 01, 2017 6:19 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:28 pm
Broadway Danny Rose has sold out.


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Twilight Time
PostPosted: Fri Apr 14, 2017 7:34 pm 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:28 pm
Less than 30 copies left of Lilies of the Field (at Twilight's site only)


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Twilight Time
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 4:28 am 
User avatar

Joined: Wed Sep 02, 2009 7:28 pm
Announcements are now going to be for one month (3 months out) every month rather than two months worth of titles (3 & 4 months out) every other month.

Titles for July per HTF announcement:

TOM SAWYER (1973) / HUCKLEBERRY FINN (1974) BLU-RAY - July 18th

EVERYTHING YOU ALWAYS WANTED TO KNOW ABOUT SEX* (*but were afraid to ask) (1972) BLU-RAY - July 18th

STATE FAIR (1962) BLU-RAY - July 18th

THE CRIMSON KIMONO (1959) BLU-RAY - July 18th


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: Twilight Time
PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2017 8:37 am 
User avatar

Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2013 8:28 pm
Location: Greenwich Village
Oh goody, I can see more announcements of nothing I will buy.
Image


Top
 Profile  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 2932 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 107, 108, 109, 110, 111, 112, 113 ... 118  Next

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB® Forum Software © phpBB Group




This site is not affiliated with The Criterion Collection