Stockholm My Love

Discuss releases by the BFI and the films on them.

Moderator: MichaelB

MichaelB

Stockholm My Love

#1 Post by MichaelB » Wed May 31, 2017 8:25 am

Stockholm My Love
A film by Mark Cousins starring Neneh Cherry
Dual Format Edition (DVD/Blu-ray) release on 26 June 2017

The latest film by celebrated auteur Mark Cousins (I Am Belfast, The Story of Film), Stockholm My Love follows the footsteps of Alva Achebe (Neneh Cherry), a Swedish architect fascinated by the way buildings influence lives but haunted by a tragic event from her past.

After its forthcoming BFI theatrical release in selected cinemas UK-wide on 16 June, Stockholm My Love will be released in a Dual Format Edition by the BFI on 26 June 2017.

Mark Cousins and award-winning cinematographer Christopher Doyle (best known for his work with Wong Kar-wai on In the Mood for Love) filmed on the streets of the Swedish capital to create a visually stunning work about loss and rejuvenation, which marks the acting debut of acclaimed musician and singer Neneh Cherry.

The atmospheric soundtrack which follows Alva’s path from grief to recovery, features five pieces of original music written specially for the film by Neneh Cherry with her husband, singer-songwriter-producer Cameron McVey (Massive Attack, Portishead), RocketNumberNine’s Benjamin Page and Mark Cousins.

Special features

Behind the Scenes (2016, 17 mins): A featurette recording the making of Stockholm My Love;
Stockholm Locations with Commentary (2017, 13 mins): Mark Cousins discusses the main locations;
Planning Stockholm My Love (2017, 2 mins): Capturing a key moment in the film’s genesis;
• Original theatrical and teaser trailers;
• 2017 BFI theatrical trailer;
• Stills and poster gallery;
• Illustrated booklet with new writing on the film by critic Ian Christie and Mark Cousins, along with full film credits

Product details

RRP: £19.99/ Cat. no. BFIB1276 / Cert PG
Sweden, UK / 2016 / colour / 88 mins / English and Swedish language, with optional Swedish subtitles and English hard-of-hearing subtitles / original aspect ratio 1:78:1
BD50: 1080p, 24fps, 5.1 DTS-HD Master Audio, 2.0 PCM stereo (48kHz/24-bit)
DVD9: PAL, 25fps, Dolby Digital 5.1 Surround (48kHz/16-bit), Dolby Digital 2.0 stereo (224kbps)
Theatrical trailer
Official website.
• Mark Cousins talks about the film at the BFI London Film Festival 2016.

furbicide

Re: Stockholm My Love

#2 Post by furbicide » Wed May 31, 2017 9:25 am

As an unabashed fan of Cousins' film documentaries (I'm well aware not everyone is), I'm curious as to how his fiction work stacks up. Personally, I'm just really happy to see a fellow critic ply his trade as a filmmaker.

colinr0380

#3 Post by colinr0380 » Wed May 31, 2017 1:43 pm

I'm more excited about Neneh Cherry acting and performing new music in the film, though that might just be because I memorised her early albums, including Buffalo Stance, at a young and impressionable age! (I had a dance routine worked out that track and everything! Though thankfully it never left the confines of my bedroom!)

Cousins does seem to be very into collaborating with musicians on his documentary works and that is getting me quite interested to find out about how Cousins feels music relates to his filmmaking process. Does that aspect come before the filming, or after?

Black Hat

#4 Post by Black Hat » Thu Jun 01, 2017 10:09 am

I had no idea Neneh Cherry was acting now, stoked for this. Rip, Rig and Panic are a criminally underrated 80s band.