Rogue One (Gareth Edwards, 2016)

Discussions of specific films and franchises.
movielocke

Re: Star Wars

#151 Post by movielocke » Wed Jan 11, 2017 1:18 pm

based on audience reaction to that brief scene of a bad guy at the end of Rogue One, I would expect a standalone film called

Vader

to be fast tracked.

Roscoe

#152 Post by Roscoe » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:13 pm

ROGUE ONE seemed an explicitly implicit statement that they're well aware that all anybody really wants is the first movie back.

DarkImbecile
Ask me about my visible cat breasts

#153 Post by DarkImbecile » Wed Jan 11, 2017 3:35 pm

Roscoe wrote:explicitly implicit
That's clearly opaque.

Brian C
I hate to be That Pedantic Guy but...

#154 Post by Brian C » Mon Feb 06, 2017 9:51 pm

Finally got around to seeing Rogue One today, and while I don't have anything to say about its overall quality that hasn't already been said by its detractors in this thread, one detail did have me shaking my head:
SpoilerShow
So Vader shows up at the very end in a battle scene and is a complete badass, even though we see him - presumably only months later - in A New Hope, in his fight with Obi-Wan. In that fight, of course, we see two wheezy old men who can barely summon the strength to swing light sabers while staying on their feet. Maybe the next spin-off will be about a daring secret rebel mission to sabotage Vader's life support systems so that he experiences a severe dropoff in his motor skills.

movielocke

Star Wars

#155 Post by movielocke » Tue Feb 07, 2017 1:31 am

Brian C wrote:Finally got around to seeing Rogue One today, and while I don't have anything to say about its overall quality that hasn't already been said by its detractors in this thread, one detail did have me shaking my head:
SpoilerShow
So Vader shows up at the very end in a battle scene and is a complete badass, even though we see him - presumably only months later - in A New Hope, in his fight with Obi-Wan. In that fight, of course, we see two wheezy old men who can barely summon the strength to swing light sabers while staying on their feet. Maybe the next spin-off will be about a daring secret rebel mission to sabotage Vader's life support systems so that he experiences a severe dropoff in his motor skills.
as a retcon interpretation, vader is circling obi wan cautiously in that fight while boasting he is the master now while obi wan taunts him with lines about becoming more powerful and mysteriously holding back on his abilities, last time they fought Vader lost four limbs and was left for dead, he's moderately terrified of aggressively attacking obi wan again. He also saw yoda beat the snot out of dooku, so he's not ready to fall for a weak old man feint.

Brian C

#156 Post by Brian C » Tue Feb 07, 2017 2:03 pm

movielocke wrote:as a retcon interpretation, vader is circling obi wan cautiously in that fight while boasting he is the master now while obi wan taunts him with lines about becoming more powerful and mysteriously holding back on his abilities, last time they fought Vader lost four limbs and was left for dead, he's moderately terrified of aggressively attacking obi wan again. He also saw yoda beat the snot out of dooku, so he's not ready to fall for a weak old man feint.
Seems like a stretch to me. I'm going with my preferred interpretation, which is that Alec Guinness was too old for that kind of thing, and that anyway, Lucas's original idea of what The Force was didn't include a lot of kickass lightsaber fights.

movielocke

#157 Post by movielocke » Tue Feb 07, 2017 4:56 pm

Brian C wrote:
movielocke wrote:as a retcon interpretation, vader is circling obi wan cautiously in that fight while boasting he is the master now while obi wan taunts him with lines about becoming more powerful and mysteriously holding back on his abilities, last time they fought Vader lost four limbs and was left for dead, he's moderately terrified of aggressively attacking obi wan again. He also saw yoda beat the snot out of dooku, so he's not ready to fall for a weak old man feint.
Seems like a stretch to me. I'm going with my preferred interpretation, which is that Alec Guinness was too old for that kind of thing, and that anyway, Lucas's original idea of what The Force was didn't include a lot of kickass lightsaber fights.
oh agreed completely.

bearcuborg

#158 Post by bearcuborg » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:09 pm

Also, Yoda didn't beat the snot out of Dooku.

Brian C

#159 Post by Brian C » Tue Feb 07, 2017 6:50 pm

I think the franchise has been put in a very weird place. There's both the feverish desire to maintain continuity with the original trilogy for the sake of fan service, but at the same time there's a need to churn out modern franchise blockbusters. This was a problem for the prequels too - advances in special effects and changes in overall sensibility meant that the prequels did not take place in a universe recognizable as the universe from the original trilogy.

I will say for Rogue One though, that at least a lot of the sets had that same low-tech lived-in feel that the original trilogy had. I appreciated that even if I didn't otherwise really believe that the events of the film were taking place immediately before A New Hope.

MoonlitKnight

#160 Post by MoonlitKnight » Wed Feb 08, 2017 11:44 am

That was my fear when it was first announced that Lucas had sold Lucasfilm to Di$ney; that they'd turn SW into the same sort of homogenized cookie-cutter blockbuster franchise that they did with the Marvel universe. There is, after all, such thing as too much of a good thing (these proposed standalone films are already stoking this fire). Another self-fulfilling prophecy may be taking place as we speak. ](*,)

bearcuborg

#161 Post by bearcuborg » Wed Feb 08, 2017 2:05 pm

I'd love to see George back in some capacity. I don't know how interesting the SW universe is without him or Kasden. If Rogue One is any indication, not all that interesting at all...

Apperson

Re: Star Wars Franchise (1977-∞)

#162 Post by Apperson » Wed Jun 21, 2017 8:52 am

Shrew wrote:And that fan base seems to prefer Rogue One over Force Awakens for its darker take (shades of the DCU), while the general public was more critical.
I have never heard or seen anyone who prefers Rogue One over The Force Awakens.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#163 Post by cdnchris » Wed Jun 21, 2017 10:45 am

My Facebook feed was filled with people saying Rogue One was the best Star Wars since Empire Strikes Back (the Holy Grail of Star Wars movies), which i was slightly sad to discover was not the case.

beamish13

#164 Post by beamish13 » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:10 am

I think standards were lowered so severely by the prequels that many fans have deluded themselves into believing that
Force Awakens and Rogue One have artistic merit, when they clearly do not.

knives

#165 Post by knives » Wed Jun 21, 2017 11:12 am

Force Awakens clearly does have artistic merit even if it it probably only in a sort of self introspective inside the naval fashion.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#166 Post by domino harvey » Wed Jun 21, 2017 12:00 pm

beamish13 wrote:I think standards were lowered so severely by the prequels that many fans have deluded themselves into believing that
Force Awakens and Rogue One have artistic merit, when they clearly do not.
I am not a fan of the series and I believe the Force Awakens has tremendous artistic merit. A cursory look at our collective Bests of 2015 would show you that many of your fellow boarders agree. Perhaps your fresh take is just too hot to be wasted on us simpletons

bearcuborg

#167 Post by bearcuborg » Thu Jun 22, 2017 7:11 am

Kasden was far from a ceremonial hire. He clearly helped to "make things right again."

Also, if you switched the two films in your argument I would agree.

Lost Highway

#168 Post by Lost Highway » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:24 am

domino harvey wrote:He's being sarcastic-- in contrast to the Force Awakens, almost no one on this forum liked Rogue One
Cool, I remember it being generally well received. I think Gareth Edwards is an interesting director with an eye for striking visuals and a sense for awe and scale often missing in modern blockbusters but I suppose he never stood a chance against this juggernaut.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#169 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:30 am

I loved Monsters, but can't say his ingenuity there carried over to either of the franchises he was given keys to

Lost Highway

#170 Post by Lost Highway » Wed Aug 02, 2017 4:41 am

domino harvey wrote:I loved Monsters, but can't say his ingenuity there carried over to either of the franchises he was given keys to
I too loved Monsters and despite the deficiencies in characterization and waste of a potentially great supporting cast, I also liked his Godzilla. I'm actually surprised how often I've rewatched it. The action scenes are the best shot Kaiju mayhem ever and every major set piece is very well staged. I liked his earthbound POV and the final SF battle has a beauty about it that reminds me of 19th century romantic painting. Unlike with something like the flimsy Pacific Rim where everything looked like toys, his monsters looked massive. Shame about the void at its centre that is Aaron Taylor-Johnson.

knives

#171 Post by knives » Wed Aug 02, 2017 8:23 am

domino harvey wrote:I loved Monsters, but can't say his ingenuity there carried over to either of the franchises he was given keys to
To be fair, what, about ten minutes of footage he was actually involved in is in the movie.

Luke M

#172 Post by Luke M » Wed Aug 02, 2017 11:18 am

I’ve seen a lot of praise for Rogue One in Twitter from left leaning journalists. I suppose if you’re viewing movies strictly through a progressive social/political lens it might appeal to you.

bdsweeney

#173 Post by bdsweeney » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:49 pm

knives wrote:
To be fair, what, about ten minutes of footage he was actually involved in is in the movie.
Genuine question: what do you mean?

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#174 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:52 pm

bdsweeney wrote:
knives wrote:
There were tons of reshoots for Rogue One, so little of Edwards' original vision remained.

knives

#175 Post by knives » Wed Aug 02, 2017 6:53 pm

bdsweeney wrote:
knives wrote:
The film was massively reshot and to my understanding almost none of Edwards' footage ended up in the final product.