It is currently Tue Oct 17, 2017 11:29 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 678 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next
PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 10:54 pm 

Arsenic and Old Lace was released by Criterion on laserdisc way back when and I believe it was hinted at in the New Years drawing, so I have reason to believe that the majority of titles mentioned in previous posts may have been acquired by Criterion; only time will tell.

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2017 11:05 pm 

Warners has seemed to slow down on their WAC releases, though that might just be because nothing major has popped up on my radar yet. Anyone know what the sales are like so far for WAC?

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 12:36 am 

Jeff wrote:
Quote:
Round Midnight
The Roaring Twenties
The Philadelphia Story
Pat Garrett & Billy the Kid
O Lucky Man
Lone Star
Hedwig & The Angry Inch
Captain Blood
Bringing Up Baby
Arsenic and Old Lace
Mean Streets
Barry Lyndon
Quote:
Scarecrow
Death in Venice

I'm convinced this is the next set of licensed titles too, or close to it. Some of them may come via the Archive, but this list has Criterion written all over it.

Additionally, Scaramouche is listed as OOP from WAC. Freaks and the collection of Keaton's MGM films that included Cameraman are also OOP

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 1:18 am 

AfterTheRain wrote:
Arsenic and Old Lace was released by Criterion on laserdisc way back when and I believe it was hinted at in the New Years drawing, so I have reason to believe that the majority of titles mentioned in previous posts may have been acquired by Criterion; only time will tell.

That hint was most likely for Guitry's La poison, but Arsenic and Old Lace is one of my favorites, so I'll be very pleased if it turns out to be one of those "double clues"

PostPosted: Wed Aug 02, 2017 3:34 am 

FWIW, I picked up the 2-Disc Bringing Up Baby at Movie Exchange the other day, so if that one happens soon, you know who to thank.

I also got The Trouble With Girls, so if an Elvis phantom page ever comes up...

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 10:38 pm 

There needs to be more Amercan Fritz Lang films in the Collection. While the City Sleeps , Beyond a Reasonable Doubt and Clash by Night are hopefully in play. You would think that WAC would've upgraded them already if they were to stay with WB.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:09 pm 
Dot Com Dom

Gurl, Fury should be WB's top Lang priority, not those hot messes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2017 11:33 pm 

I'm not really a fan of Fury. But if that's what they choose to take off of WB's hands, so be it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 1:41 am 

How long will the WB licence last? I'm only inquiring because I'm curious if any of these CC editions will go OOP in coming years.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 10:36 am 

I'm not certain how many members here have answers regarding specific licenses, their length, and their parameters (or if they can even divulge such information) but I wouldn't assume it'll last long even if there's good indication (The Philadelphia Story, the home video market) that it'll continue into the new year. The titles Criterion is caressing (Blowup, Barry Lyndon) are must-owns, but if there is any concern about their twenty-whatever titles going out-of-print then, you know, I would just start stockpiling, which means you'll have to own a copy of Woman of the Year.

Someone mentioned in another thread (in the interest of time management, I won't search for it), that Warner straight-up offered them Mildred Pierce while they were inquiring about a different title. It seemed like a credible source when I read it.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 2:08 pm 

I've already bought the titles I'm most interested in (still on the fence about The New World). I mainly ask because I wonder if there's an opportunity for a profit to be made here on OOP Criterions... :-k

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:26 pm 

Yeah you should probably buy about 30 of each

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 3:37 pm 

And throw them straight into the trash. If you looking for market speculation on Blu-Rays to make money, you're doomed in this capitalist jungle.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 6:01 pm 

Buy a buncha Blowups straight from the Criterion website and help give Zabriskie Point a fighting chance of emerging from Warner's catalogue over whatever next year's In-Laws is.

PostPosted: Sun Aug 13, 2017 8:06 pm 

If you read up further in the thread, there's pretty good evidence that titles like Barry Lyndon and Philadelphia Story are from a second batch of titles that were likely not part of the original agreement, which probably means things are fairly stable for a few years (and also I'm foolishly willing to believe that Warners will actually extend licensing through to Indicator, which probably would also mean the Criterion titles are safe for the time being).

And, personally, I've picked up every single Warners title so far just by happenstance (not out of an obligation, just I've loved the title selection), and feel the choices overall seem like sure bets as far as being leading sellers for their respective months.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 12:06 am 

Every Melville movie, L'annee derniere, Third Man, Howard's End, Pierrot, etc. all go for absurd prices online. If I can make even 20$ profit on any OOP title that's a win. I mean it's peanuts individually but it'll eventually add up. On a related point, I have a sealed edition of the Animego blu ray edition of Shogun Assassin if anyone is interested in sliding 120$ my way :wink: .

Considering I hate both Blow-up and Zabriskie Point, I won't be doing that.

Tha's pretty encouraging news, Ribs. And same here, I've picked up nearly all the WB titles because they actually interest me (aside from TNW which I'm on the fence on, Breaking Point which I have not seen, and Blow-up which I hate). I'll preorder any further Kubrick title and Gun Crazy the day they inevitably announce them.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 3:46 am 

What's the over under on their relationship eventually yielding Lina Wertmüller's The End of the World In Our Usual Bed In A Night Full of Rain? I'm sure WB has all but forgotten they have it and it would be wonderful to get Wertmüller in as a director. It's also an incredibly underrated and underseen film.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:21 pm 

Omensetter wrote:
I wouldn't assume it'll last long even if there's good indication (The Philadelphia Story, the home video market) that it'll continue into the new year. ...if there is any concern about their twenty-whatever titles going out-of-print then, you know, I would just start stockpiling

There's no reason to think that any of the WB-licensed Criterions will go OOP. Criterion isn't in the limited-edition business -- they've always held onto titles for as long as they could. None of the titles obtained during the licensing streak that started over 4 years ago have been pulled. You mentioned the home video market, and, yes, physical home video licenses aren't going to become more valuable to WB over time: precisely the opposite. It's not like they're going to yank back Badlands and then license 2001 or Kane, as some here have speculated could eventually happen.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 5:53 pm 

Noiradelic wrote:
Omensetter wrote:
I wouldn't assume it'll last long even if there's good indication (The Philadelphia Story, the home video market) that it'll continue into the new year. ...if there is any concern about their twenty-whatever titles going out-of-print then, you know, I would just start stockpiling

There's no reason to think that any of the WB-licensed Criterions will go OOP. Criterion isn't in the limited-edition business -- they've always held onto titles for as long as they could. None of the titles obtained during the licensing streak that started over 4 years ago have been pulled. You mentioned the home video market, and, yes, physical home video licenses aren't going to become more valuable to WB over time: precisely the opposite. It's not like they're going to yank back Badlands and then license 2001 or Kane, as some here have speculated could eventually happen.

Right. The upside to physical media’s slow death is seeing Criterion release films you never thought they’d get.

PostPosted: Mon Aug 14, 2017 8:40 pm 

Noiradelic wrote:

Oh, I completely agree. My comments came from assuming another person was concerned about titles going out-of-print.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 12:44 pm 

Has there been any mention of The Wild Bunch as a possibility?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 25, 2017 5:56 pm 

As that's a popular western and the Blu-ray's in print, I'd put that in the "later rather than sooner" (if at all) category. They may have Pat Garrett and Billy the Kid.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2017 12:14 am 

I would think it would be due a new release soon anyway (or at least in time for it's 50th anniversary in two years) because it was one of the first Blu-ray releases WB put out, and a new 4K restoration of it wouldn't seem out of the question.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 4:15 pm 

Drucker wrote:
At least that has a release somewhere in the world! (BFI) I'm dying to see Crime de Monseiur Lange!

If someone else besides Studio Canal puts this out on BD, I hope they do their own master because the new restoration flat out sucks. If we're lucky, there's a raw transfer available that doesn't have the awful grain management I saw at the restoration's NYFF screening this afternoon.

PostPosted: Sun Oct 01, 2017 5:50 pm 

Yeah it'll be interesting to see what they do with early WB blu-ray titles like The Wild Bunch, 2001 and The Searchers. They'll all most likely just get 4K releases from Warners.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 678 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 24, 25, 26, 27, 28  Next