Kino Lorber Studio Classics

Vinegar Syndrome, Deaf Crocodile, Imprint, Cinema Guild, and more.
Noiradelic

Re: Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#1101 Post by Noiradelic » Wed Aug 16, 2017 6:49 am

matrixschmatrix wrote:
Gregory wrote:3.5 video quality ratings are so omnipresent.

Why were elementary school kids taking a quiz about jazz musicians
Just learned that the "Adrian Belew" at the top of the paper isn't just a reference to the guitarist, but is the name of a very minor character, a fellow student of Bart's. What does it say after "Lone Rhino (Belew's first album) is a..."

Zappa's also namechecked in the third-from-right paper.

Of course, Matt Groening's a big Zappa fan and Belew played with him.

mfunk9786
Under Chris' Protection

#1102 Post by mfunk9786 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 10:21 am

Bummer about Barton Fink. I wonder why a company like Kino was so intent on licensing and releasing the film if they weren't even going to do a new restoration.

Der Spieler

#1103 Post by Der Spieler » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:04 pm

mfunk9786 wrote:Bummer about Barton Fink. I wonder why a company like Kino was so intent on licensing and releasing the film if they weren't even going to do a new restoration.
Because Kino are all about that quick cash grab. Dumping existing transfers on a disc and calling it a day.

Probably beating a dead horse here but remember when they released Spies, Woman in the Moon and Diary of a Lost Girl in the wrong aspect ratio then refused to acknowledge the error and literally told people to fuck off via Mister Lime?

That's just Kino for you. It's pretty depressing that they went out of their way to grab The Good, the Bad and the Ugly only to mishandle the color timing, get the theatrical edit wrong and botch the transfers for most of the supplements.

The second they announced Barton Fink as a Kino release I lost all hope.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1104 Post by domino harvey » Wed Aug 16, 2017 5:07 pm

Noiradelic wrote:
matrixschmatrix wrote:
Gregory wrote:3.5 video quality ratings are so omnipresent.

Why were elementary school kids taking a quiz about jazz musicians
Just learned that the "Adrian Belew" at the top of the paper isn't just a reference to the guitarist, but is the name of a very minor character, a fellow student of Bart's. What does it say after "Lone Rhino (Belew's first album) is a..."

Zappa's also namechecked in the third-from-right paper.

Of course, Matt Groening's a big Zappa fan and Belew played with him.
The internet exhaustively backs you up

FrauBlucher

#1105 Post by FrauBlucher » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:20 pm

Gregory

#1106 Post by Gregory » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:34 pm

WTF is "film-like heaviness" exactly? This is noted approvingly in Beaver reviews of TGTBATU, Duel in the Sun, Who Is Harry Kellerman..., A Taste of Honey, Finding Forrester, A.I., Day of the Outlaw, 99 River Street, and the very unimpressive WAC DVD of Run of the Arrow.

calculus entrophy

#1107 Post by calculus entrophy » Wed Aug 16, 2017 9:24 pm

WTF is "film-like heaviness" exactly?
Hmm...I think I get that feeling after too many hits. YMMV.

Der Spieler

#1108 Post by Der Spieler » Wed Aug 16, 2017 11:41 pm

Yeah, he spent all day watching the amazing extras and yet he didn't notice that they were stuttery or ran at half the frame rate?

No mention of the 2014 disc? Nothing about the theatrical cut not being the actual theatrical cut?

Either this is amateur hour or his review was bought and paid for...

Orlac

#1109 Post by Orlac » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:11 am

We're talking about a numpty who keeps labelling 1.75:1 transfers of late 60s Euro films as "bastardized"

jegharfangetmigenmyg

#1110 Post by jegharfangetmigenmyg » Thu Aug 17, 2017 9:03 am

This release is just so... :roll:

Has anyone mentioned the loss of detail the picture has suffered from, presumably from their digitally fiddling with the image. Compare the sky in the below screendump. Where the heck did it go??

Jonathan S

#1111 Post by Jonathan S » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:03 am

Gregory wrote:WTF is "film-like heaviness" exactly?
Maybe "heaviness" is the new word for "thickness" or "tightness" which, in Beaverspeak, also seem to be associated with claims of a cinematic appearance. We really do need a glossary.

Big Ben

#1112 Post by Big Ben » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:51 am

jegharfangetmigenmyg wrote:This release is just so... :roll:

Has anyone mentioned the loss of detail the picture has suffered from, presumably from their digitally fiddling with the image. Compare the sky in the below screendump. Where the heck did it go??
Clearly it wasn't in the theatrical version so Kino had to blur the picture. I mean it's patently obvious to anyone that this drab, awful washed out look is exactly what Leone intended.
SpoilerShow
Holy shit it's awful.

Ribs

#1113 Post by Ribs » Fri Aug 18, 2017 8:34 am

hearthesilence

#1114 Post by hearthesilence » Fri Aug 18, 2017 9:42 am

Glad I decided to pass on their sale. With few exceptions, they're consistently disappointing.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1115 Post by domino harvey » Sat Aug 19, 2017 4:43 pm

Mister Lime wrote:In hindsight, we would've not picked up The Big Country. The master is screwed up, had a 4 1/2 rating on Blu-ray.com, I guess the reviewer didn't notice the images were stretched. We now have to go back a remaster the three hour movie, additional costs we did not expect when we acquired it. Unfortunately, we've created too many extras to drop it.
I don't understand this comment, I thought the whole selling point behind KL's release was that it was going to fix the image, now they're bitching about the costs of their only reason for releasing it?

Der Spieler

#1116 Post by Der Spieler » Sat Aug 19, 2017 7:22 pm

They also cancelled Valmont cause they couldn't get the new 4k master and only had access to the older MGM one.
Mister Lime wrote:(...) we don't need the headache - I could see all the negative posts by trolls and nut jobs... how we cut corners and don't care about the customer and so on. It was an executive decision, maybe another label will pick it up and if they do, they'll know where to come to get the Michael Hausman interview, thank god Milos Forman turned us down.

Pathé wanted a bunch or arms and legs for it. Region A releases already in the market, now I'm really happy we dropped it.
Trolls and nut jobs... This guy reminds me of Donald Trump.

domino harvey
Dot Com Dom

#1117 Post by domino harvey » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:12 pm

Perhaps someone should let Mister Lime know that too much transparency is not a good thing for any business. He's approaching Code Red Guy levels

CSM126

#1118 Post by CSM126 » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:43 pm

It's almost like he's surprised that people expect these discs to be good. I get the impression he'd rather just slap whatever existing master they have on a cheap BR and overprice it, but those damn pesky kids keep foiling him by pointing out how shitty that is.

Poor baby. Go work at Mill Creek, why don't ya?

FrauBlucher

#1119 Post by FrauBlucher » Sat Aug 19, 2017 10:55 pm

Mister Lime wrote:trolls and nut jobs
Choo Choo!! the Kino Lorber Express has just left the station.

EddieLarkin

#1120 Post by EddieLarkin » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:23 am

domino harvey wrote:
Mister Lime wrote:In hindsight, we would've not picked up The Big Country. The master is screwed up, had a 4 1/2 rating on Blu-ray.com, I guess the reviewer didn't notice the images were stretched. We now have to go back a remaster the three hour movie, additional costs we did not expect when we acquired it. Unfortunately, we've created too many extras to drop it.
I don't understand this comment, I thought the whole selling point behind KL's release was that it was going to fix the image, now they're bitching about the costs of their only reason for releasing it?
How expensive can it be to fix anyway? The master simply needs a tiny stretch applied to bring it from 2.35:1 to 2.25:1 and the job's done. I don't know how much work that involves but it takes 10 seconds of changing settings in MPC using the current disc. Presumably it would take a short amount of time to adjust the master and then carry out authoring as Kino would have planned anyway?

Or are Kino that misinformed they're under the impression the master is unusable and they need to go back and create their own?

MichaelB

Kino Lorber Studio Classics Acquisitions

#1121 Post by MichaelB » Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:44 am

domino harvey wrote:Perhaps someone should let Mister Lime know that too much transparency is not a good thing for any business. He's approaching Code Red Guy levels

I got banned for life from blu-ray.com for offering no more than politely expressed, constructive and thoroughly evidence-backed criticism of their factually flawed reviews, and yet MisterLime seems to get carte blanche to write posts that would get him banned from here, a far more grown-up forum when it comes to censorship.

Don't get me wrong: I genuinely don't care, and even when I wasn't banned I'd often take breaks of several months - but there really does seem to be a completely absurd inconsistency at play there, and it would be curious to see them justify it.

Der Spieler

#1122 Post by Der Spieler » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:53 am

domino harvey wrote:
He makes it sound like they bought the master based on the Blu-ray.com review without looking at it properly...

Drucker
Your Future our Drucker

#1123 Post by Drucker » Mon Aug 28, 2017 11:56 am

New restoration of Woman in the Window coming to Kino!

What A Disgrace

#1124 Post by What A Disgrace » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:11 pm

I'm still waiting for a release date of Covered Wagon and Old Ironsides, but this is good news.

cdnchris
Site Admin

#1125 Post by cdnchris » Mon Aug 28, 2017 12:48 pm

Ugh, the Good/Bad/Ugly BD is a bigger disappointment than I was prepped for. I think the colours are "better" but those black levels are awful.

Also, I rewatched Gorky Park for the first time in well over a decade. I remember liking it but was underwhelmed this time. Still works as a snap shot of a certain time (and it's actually quite gorier than I remember, though probably nothing compared to TV crime shows of today).

Couple of questions:

1.) I'm trying to remember how rotary phones work but sticking the pencil in the dial when it's in mid-dial, would that have the same effect as leaving it off the hook?

2.) I was actually a bit confused by the murders and the motivation this time around:
SpoilerShow
Why did Lee Marvin kill the kids? Was it to avoid taking the Russians back to the States with him? Or because of issues with the KGB (i believe they were detained at one point) and them discovering he was smuggling the animals? And the American kid was just collateral damage? I get the whole smuggling angle but even in that context the murders made no sense and I feel like I've been missing a plot point all this time.